Just back from Jewel Aegean itinerary - Any questions?

We sailed on 10th July. We did the Taste of Athens tour - 11 of us in total so it cost us close to $1,000 overall. We assembled in the Coral Theatre, we were group number 13. Everyone was delayed getting off the ship due to "immigration issues" so by the time our group was called we were 50 minutes late getting off the ship. Our guide spoke on the bus ride but when we got to the Acropolis there was very very little historical information given, in fact, she hardly spoke at all and by the time we got to the top we had 10/15 minutes to see everything before we had to head back down to the meeting point!!

While queuing for entry to the Acropolis we were directly behind another busload from the ship with a different guide and she was utterly amazing, speaking the entire time to her group on the history of the sites, so we ended up listening to her - only for that we would have learned very little indeed.

The ships tour description said we had 3 hours free time in Plaka but we had in fact about 1 hour 50 minutes in which we literally had some refreshments, ran around the New Acropolis Museum and did some pretty hasty shopping before returning to the ship!

This was our most disappointing tour and the one we had been looking forward to the most.

Did you speak with someone at Royal when you returned to the ship? Seems some refund dollars would have been in order.

Did you speak with someone at Royal when you returned to the ship? Seems some refund dollars would have been in order.

Yes we went to the shore excursions desk but got nowhere. We've also been in touch with the Royal Caribbean office but are awaiting a reply :/

That sounds really disappointing! What time were you finally off the ship? They started letting people off around 8:20 on the June 24 sailing (scheduled docking tome 6 am).

Our departure time was scheduled for 7.45am and we were directed straight off the ship fully on time. I think the earliest departures were scheduled for 7am but it could have been slightly earlier. We docked at 5am.

Can I ask a question about electrical sockets in the staterooms, are they all USA, or are there any UK or European ones? Thanks.

There are two US 110V sockets and one 220V Euro socket.

Our departure time was scheduled for 7.45am and we were directed straight off the ship fully on time. I think the earliest departures were scheduled for 7am but it could have been slightly earlier. We docked at 5am.

Sorry, I was talking about Athens... you had mentioned your tour was 50 mins late. I was wondering when you were finally able to get off the ship in Athens.

Thanks Bob. I really don't think I could have cruised without you!

Taxi arrives 4.15am tomorrow.....it's happening folks!:D

You're welcome, and as I'm sure you have seen, there are many helpful people on this forum.:)

Bon Voyage!

Edited by clarea

They started handing out tender tickets either at 12:15 or 12:30 - it is announced in the Compass. I would say that if you want to be on one of the first tenders to be in line 45 mins before the handout begins - maybe even earlier. Only one person of the party needs to be in line.

My understanding is that the return bus needs to be reserved, otherwise you are not guaranteed a spot. If you book the "speedboat" to Oia, the charge is 15 Euro and it includes the bus ride up from the dock to Oia, plus the bus from Oia to Fira. As soon as you get off the bus up to Oia, the wicket to reserve the return bus to Fira is just across the way. You can ask the driver if you are unsure.

The bus to Fira took around 20 minutes, but there is still another 5-10 minute walk to the center of town / cable cars

H Jacquelyn - Thank you for all the useful information, I will be on the Jewel, sailing on August 21. How do you book the speedboat? Is this done in advance or is there a stall once we disembark?

Just get yourself to the dock and you will see the boats right there. You book at the office on the dock just before the cable car entrance. There are people to direct you into the office. Unfortunately we did not have enough time to do the boat trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

H Jacquelyn - Thank you for all the useful information, I will be on the Jewel, sailing on August 21. How do you book the speedboat? Is this done in advance or is there a stall once we disembark?

Hi there,

You cannot buy the speed boat tickets in advance, only once tendered. Be aware that there are several speed boat operators, all the same price. Best to buy from the vendor whose boat is docked and preferably almost full. Do not buy from a vendor whose ship is not there as you will be waiting a while.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Edited by Host Jacquelyn

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if there are drink menus throughout the ship - last sailing I only saw them in the Schooner and the pub - just curious.

Also, wondering if the prices are different / higher in Europe than in the Caribbean.

Thank you!

Vickie

LOVED Turkey! Booked a private excursion and it was amazing. We met our driver at 8:00 am and went to the ruins in Ephesus. We were one of the first ones there. We toured the ruins and the Terrace Houses, and then went for lunch and to the carpet demo. I don't know why people knock the carpet demo - we found it fascinating how they cultivate the silk from the silk worms, and how they make the carpets. This was better and more informative than any museum exhibit on the subject could have been. Of course, their purpose was to sell, but they were very courteous and took no for an answer. Our tour ran longer than the allotted time, as we were having so much fun, and the guide did not mind.

After we had fun at the markets in Kusadasi. Those guys are REALLY pushy, but you just need to smile, say No and keep walking if you are not interested. Lots of great "genuine fakes" if you do happen to be interested, but make sure to negotiate.

Jacqueline, who did your private excursion in Turkey?

Jacqueline, who did your private excursion in Turkey?

Hi there,

I answered in an earlier post but here is the info again - We used EKOL Travel, and the tour was excellent. We could not have imagined a better excursion. They offer several packages, so you can include the Virgin Mary`s house in a different package, if you were interested. We booked the shared tour, but it ended up being private as no others booked. The guide Oscar did not seem to mind and was a complete professional. Even though he must have done this tour hundreds (thousands?) of times, his presentation was fresh and he seemed truly enjoy it. Definitely top notch. Let me know if you have specific questions.

How fast was Voom?

We only had it for a day so my experience is limited. We were able to upload pictures, but it was much slower than the speed I am used to on land. That said, it was faster than ships without Voom. We were able to Skype audio only, video did not work for us, but others reported it working for them. Perhaps it is dependent on how many people are online

Edited by Host Jacquelyn