CPAP on a cruise

FrankNJ

Who knew surge protectors were a problem . I'm sure lots of people here know why , I don't .

My doctor says distilled water only .

I carry my CPAP bag over my shoulder outside my carry on bag , the airlines allow it as a medical device and don't count it . Plus it has to be on its own to go through security .

I don't think that method is any problem boarding the ship .

Now about those surge protectors ?

Who knew surge protectors were a problem . I'm sure lots of people here know why , I don't .

My doctor says distilled water only .

I carry my CPAP bag over my shoulder outside my carry on bag , the airlines allow it as a medical device and don't count it . Plus it has to be on its own to go through security .

I don't think that method is any problem boarding the ship .

Now about those surge protectors ?

4 hours before you posted, in the message immediately preceding yours, I placed link to another post which goes into exhaustive detail about the reason surge protectors are banned.

As to the distilled water - does your doctor cruise with a CPAP? I and many others here do, and have no problems with the snip's water.

4 hours before you posted, in the message immediately preceding yours, I placed link to another post which goes into exhaustive detail about the reason surge protectors are banned.

As to the distilled water - does your doctor cruise with a CPAP? I and many others here do, and have no problems with the snip's water.

I have travelled extensively with CPAP. And I am a physician. I use distilled water at home and usually tap water when traveling.

Just returned from my first cruise with my new CPAP machine. Still trying to get used to it after a month. I brought a 20' extension and used an adapter to plug it into the 240V outlet. I brought my own distilled water on board to make sure I had it. No issues with the machine and the 20' cord was plenty long for our OV cabin. Hopefully I'll adjust to the machine.

I checked with my doctor and it turns out he cruises with his wife .

On my 7/10 Koningsdam sailing I ordered distilled water. I received an enormous jug - probably 4 gallons. Seemed like it may have been made onboard based on the jug style. More than I could use over two months. ;-) It cost $4. Different than Carnival where I received a normal gallon jug of Crystal distilled water.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I generally use the ship's tap water for my CPAP humidifier. However, in various European ports I've found distilled water onshore at various different types of stores than what we are used to in the states. In Germany, it was at a perfume store. In another store in Spain, it was near the ironing supplies and in yet another store it was near the anti-freeze for cars.

Now while we are walking around various cities, it's a cool personal challenge to find the various locations where distilled water can be purchased off the ship. And, yes, it's very inexpensive off the ship.

And like many of the above posters, I also carry a couple short extension cords and European adapters which increase the number of available outlets in the stateroom.

Edited by Btimmer

I was on the masdam two weeks ago. My PCC connected me with Ship services for distilled water and an extension cord. It cost 4.00 for the gallon jug of distilled water. The extension cord that Hal provided me with was a surge protector.

This was a two week cruise and over the course of the two weeks I spoke with about 10 people who brought CPAP machines and some of them have been using CPAPs for years and say they always bring a surge protector.

My water was in the cabin when I boarded but I did not get the extension cord til after we sailed.

• 1 month later...

after reading about brain eating amoeba from inhaled water I think its probably a good idea to use distilled water in a CPAP. My doctor , a pulmonologist , always reminds me to use only distilled . Tap water is purified enough for drinking but not enough for inhaling .

Wow. Those machines sure are getting complex! Mine doesn't have anything that remotely sounds like that. I have a Resmed, and I know there's some sort of card in it that records information, but I don't have anything like an airplane mode.

I'll be interested in reading what others have to say about this, in case it's part of my next machine (I'm on my 3rd).

Hi Ruth,

I have used a CPAP machine since 2011. A Resmed. My machine is almost 6 years old. How long do they last (since you have been through 3 of them) and what are the symptoms when they are about to die ? In the old Medicare rules, durable medical equipment, like a CPAP, was 100% covered. Now, we have to pay 50% or more for a new machine.

I always call ship's services and order a $4 jug of distilled water. It's waiting for me in the cabin when I arrive. I also bring a 15 ft extension cord, plus a European round prong to US blade adapter for the 220 volt outlet at the desk. That leaves the 110 volt outlet open for my laptop charger.

My machine is almost 6 years old. How long do they last (since you have been through 3 of them) and what are the symptoms when they are about to die ?

I really don't know how long they last, as I've never actually had one wear out.

I purchased my first one, and it was huge---far too big to consider traveling with. I swear the size was that of a large boot box. I got rid of that for something smaller, which was still large for travel.

I can't remember why I bought the last one. I think I was having trouble finding a replacement humidifier for mine; the seams leaked. This newest one is smaller still than the 2nd, but still larger than ones you can get now.

Technology is moving so fast!

Hi Ruth,

I have used a CPAP machine since 2011. A Resmed. My machine is almost 6 years old. How long do they last (since you have been through 3 of them) and what are the symptoms when they are about to die ? In the old Medicare rules, durable medical equipment, like a CPAP, was 100% covered. Now, we have to pay 50% or more for a new machine.

I always call ship's services and order a $4 jug of distilled water. It's waiting for me in the cabin when I arrive. I also bring a 15 ft extension cord, plus a European round prong to US blade adapter for the 220 volt outlet at the desk. That leaves the 110 volt outlet open for my laptop charger.

I had mine for 11 years before I had to replace it. I did have to have the motor replaced once during that time, but that is a lot cheaper than a new machine. It was the same problem when it had to be replaced, but they said it was too old to be repaired as there were no parts for it. The new one lasted a month and I insisted they replace it. It was so loud it sounded like having a vacuum cleaner running next to your head.

Both times the motor burned out it developed a high pitched screech. Even earplugs did not help.

Debbie

Thanks Ruth & Debbie. My machine is almost 6 years old. There is an online company that you can buy CPAP machines and supplies. But, as usual, the ridiculous rules about prescriptions for durable medical equipment hinder the easy online purchase. I've been told that I will need to sleep with a CPAP machine for the rest of my life. On this website, I can purchase all of the individual parts for my nasal mask with no script. But if I want to purchase the same mask, completely assembled, I need a doc's prescription. I can buy all of the parts for my CPAP machine with no script, but the same machine ready to go requires a script. Do they really think someone will buy a CPAP machine just for the fun of it ??

I ordered 2 jugs of distilled water for a 28 day cruise from Athens to FLL. The jugs HAL supplied were 5 liters each, a little more than a US gallon. I used all of the first jug and 2/3rd of the second one. For the $8 fee, it was much better than humping all over Athens looking for distilled water, and then carrying both of them, along with our carry-ons onto the ship. And, in a pinch, the tap water on the ship is fine, just rinse out your humidifier reservoir daily.

Edited by TAD2005

• 5 months later...
But surge protectors are bad for ships and may be taken from you at boarding.

I always carry a small surge protector and a power strip and have never been told by HAL that I can not use it. (395 days)

I just checked the "beverage" packages for HAL and distilled water can be pre-ordered for $2.95 per gallon.

The August 20127 Voyage of the Vikings will be my first "CPAC" cruise and our third sailing on the ms Rotterdam. This forum has been most informative and entertaining. :halo:

Jack

Edited by JACKWC
Make additions

I always carry a small surge protector and a power strip and have never been told by HAL that I can not use it. (395 days)

But now, after reading this thread, you know better.

Check out Chengkp75's explanations for why surge protectors are a no-no on a ship, if you need the technical explanation. He's given it more than once.

But now, after reading this thread, you know better.

Check out Chengkp75's explanations for why surge protectors are a no-no on a ship, if you need the technical explanation. He's given it more than once.

Thanks for the heads up - now I am educated:halo:

I just checked the "beverage" packages for HAL and distilled water can be pre-ordered for $2.95 per gallon.

The August 20127 Voyage of the Vikings will be my first "CPAC" cruise and our third sailing on the ms Rotterdam. This forum has been most informative and entertaining. :halo:

Jack

Thanks for posting the information about the distilled water. My PCC told me about it being offered as a beverage package but it did not show up. I ordered the water from Ship Services last month for a Cruise I am boarding next week.

When I cruised last September there were lots of folks cruising with CPAPs.

• 3 weeks later...

You really don't need a plug strip. Just a plain vanilla extension cord. The closest plug is usually at the desk, and there are multiple 110 volt US type plugs and 220 volt European round prong plugs. Get a cheap plug adapter (not a voltage converter) and you will be able to plug your CPAP machine, with extension cord, into any of the outlets. Just about all electronics these days are happy with any voltage from 100 to 230 volts.