Signature Drink Package and pregnancy

Despegue

My brother-in-law likes the occasional drink and would love the Signature Drink Package. The regulation states that all adult occupants of a cabin need to buy said package. Fair enough, makes sense.

However, his wife is pregnant and is thus not allowed to drink. The pregnancy is confirmed by the gynecologist letter required by HAL to be able to sail...

Will my BIL ( is this the correct abbreviation?) still have to buy a package for his wife?

Many thanks,

D.

Edited by Despegue

My brother-in-law likes the occasional drink and would love the Signature Drink Package. The regulation states that all adult occupants of a cabin need to buy said package. Fair enough, makes sense.

However, his wife is pregnant and is thus not allowed to drink. The pregnancy is confirmed by the gynecologist letter required by HAL to be able to sail...

Will my BIL ( is this the correct abbreviation?) still have to buy a package for his wife?

Many thanks,

D.

Don't think I've seen that situation come up before on CC, so you should probably check with your TA or HAL directly. Or, just wait until you board and ask.

If it's just an occasional drink, it may be more cost effective to skip the package and buy the drinks one at a time. Also, you should be able to bring two bottles of wine onboard.

Agree - the package is a bit expensive unless you are more than "an occasional drinker".

Wow.

I asked an honest question here, my BIL is not even aware of packages as he has never cruised before and has limited English proficiency. It is me doing the research and trying to find for them the best possible cruise experience.

To attack immediately his parental suitability is a strange way of contributing to to this question...

And why would this issue put pressure on a HAL crew-member? Either there is a policy for this, approved by the HD or corporate or there is not.

No problem either way, why on Earth would my BIL or me become argumentative?! As you said, it is not the end of the World. Jeez, it was just a question!

The attacking on this board is getting worse and worse.

Edited by Despegue

Since the SBP applies to non-alcoholic, as well as alcoholic, drinks, I see no reason why the pregnant wife should not be required to purchase it if the husband wants to.

She is allowed to drink, after all. She's just not allowed to drink alcohol.

Now, whether or not it would be cost effective to do so is something every couple, pregnant or not, needs to determine before making the purchase. There are a lot of reasons why people don't drink alcohol, but those aren't written in as exceptions to the "every adult in the cabin" rule.

Yes, OP, you asked a legitimate questtion. Sorry if you don't care for some of the responses.

Perhaps you haven't seen one particularly obnoxious post that disparages the BIL's parenting skills :mad: :eek:

Despegue, I'm sorry you ended up getting abuse for asking a legitimate question.

Perhaps you haven't seen one particularly obnoxious post that disparages the BIL's parenting skills :mad: :eek:

Despegue, I'm sorry you ended up getting abuse for asking a legitimate question.

I agree and not only is it a legitimate question, it is a very interesting one as well. I would like to hear the outcome. Not that I plan on having that dilemma or anything. Heaven forbid. :eek::D

Wow.

I asked an honest question here, my BIL is not even aware of packages as he has never cruised before and has limited English proficiency. It is me doing the research and trying to find for them the best possible cruise experience.

To attack immediately his parental suitability is a strange way of contributing to to this question...

And why would this issue put pressure on a HAL crew-member? Either there is a policy for this, approved by the HD or corporate or there is not.

No problem either way, why on Earth would my BIL or me become argumentative?! As you said, it is not the end of the World. Jeez, it was just a question!

The attacking on this board is getting worse and worse. ��

OK, I admit to not having read to the end of postings. Have I missed something here? I don't see anything negative from anyone. Or has a post or two been deleted? I'm confused.

Could you let us know the answer in regards to pregnant travelling companion and drinks package. I agree with others who said it may be cheaper to buy individual drinks.

I bought the package once, but never again, as I drank more than I naturally would, as I felt under pressure to try and get value out of the package

OK, I admit to not having read to the end of postings. Have I missed something here? I don't see anything negative from anyone. Or has a post or two been deleted? I'm confused.

It was an offensive post & it has been deleted..

Hi carolmacey,

An inappropriate post (I am stating this mildly) was removed. I am thankful that the moderator is timely in removing such posts.

Laurie

I agree but believe someone may have reported the offensive post as normally the hosts don't monitor these threads..

Don't think I've seen that situation come up before on CC, so you should probably check with your TA or HAL directly. Or, just wait until you board and ask.

It has been discussed on CC in other cruise line forums. These other lines did make an exception for proven pregnancy or other documented medical issues preventing consumption of alcohol. OP needs to follow your advice and check with the booking agency.

To be fair to the poster involved,

Worrying about having to pay for 2 packages instead of one is indeed trivial when compared to a pregnancy and becoming a parent.

Unfortunately, Life has not gifted my wife and I with children, so I can only guess about the challenges involved.

Thank you all for the replies, I think that indeed a package is not the best option anyhow.

I had read in another thread that you don't have to buy the second package if it is due to a medical issue. Surely pregnancy would be included. It was said you could talk to guest services on board to get it removed. I don't know if this is true or not

I think you have to consider whether you would buy the coffee or other speciality hot drinks. We find the standard coffee pretty well undrinkable and if we had the package we would probably get three or four coffees a day. But even with that we would not get value from it.

I think you have to consider whether you would buy the coffee or other speciality hot drinks.

Not just coffees and other hot drinks, either. Remember, the SBP includes bottled water, soda, and mocktails, too. Fifteen of those per day can add up, especially some of the mocktails, which don't cost a lot less than the alcoholic versions.

Many thanks,

D.

Does your BIL have info on cruise line restriction about sailing while pregnant. Cruise lines restrict sailing beyond a certain pregnancy stage. I'm assuming he does since you mentioned a physician letter.

I think you have to consider whether you would buy the coffee or other speciality hot drinks. We find the standard coffee pretty well undrinkable and if we had the package we would probably get three or four coffees a day. But even with that we would not get value from it.

Since she's pregnant, she probably isn't drinking a lot of caffeine either.

I agree with others, that it will probably be cheaper in the long run for him to just buy his drinks individually rather than pay for two packages.