Tell me about an October River Cruise

mozfoz

We are contemplating a river cruise on the Danube in the fall. We have sailed many ocean cruises in October, but need to know about our first river cruise. Is this desirable time?. I guess, more specifically, what can we expect regarding weather, water levels, and daylight. We like the idea of cooler weather and hopefully the lack of crowds, but would not want to sacrifice the full experience of a summer cruise. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Some of the summer river cruises are HOT! I vastly prefer shoulder season for the reasons you stated: cooler weather and smaller crowds. Vienna has 10:30 day length (sunrise to sunset) at the beginning of October falling off to 9 hours at the end of October. The one thing that can't be accurately predicted is water levels. Probably the worst time for high water is spring; if a warm rain hits the snowpack it melts much too fast. Probably the worst time for low water is mid to late summer. Boats have issues with high water (current being too fast, and not enough clearance under bridges) and with low water (dragging the bottom), but you hear a lot more from people who had problems than those who don't. I have done about 20 weeks of river cruises (as early as March, as late as November), and have missed one (yes, 1) day of sailing during all that time. So if you pay my way on your trip, that will guarantee that you will have no water issues.:D

Thom

I agree with the above post, and will add that you can minimize the chances of your October cruise being disrupted by low water if you compare the effects it has had on different river cruise lines. The design of the boats and the experience of the captains means that some lines are able to keep sailing after others have had to start doing ship swaps or turn the cruises into bus trips.

I agree, the fall in Europe is generally the best time to go. Summer is too hot, just got back last month from UK (end of May) and Norway (first week of June). The hotels generally don't have A/C and sleeping is an issue for me. We had a hard time being comfortable at every hotel in the UK, the temps were highs in the 70s, and still the hotel rooms were too warm.

We cruised the Eastern Danube in mid October in 2014 Bucharest to Budapest other than a rainy day in Budapest and Vienna the weather was great. We were in Germany and France in November 2015 and the weather was cool, but not cold.

Cold snaps happen, but it is cheaper and better in the fall. IMHO.

JC

Hello "Mozfoz"

October is one of the most popular time for river cruising - the weather is typically mild, prices are low, and travel to Europe can be a bit more calm than in the Summer months!

Too add to that, the change of foliage in October creates some spectacular scenery and beautiful colors along the banks of the Rivers - perfect for your days spent cruising.

We recommend cruising the Rhine and its tributaries, on France's Rhone (it is harvest season), or starting in Paris for a cruise along the Seine.

Bon Voyage!

CroisiEurope America Team

There are advantages to traveling when the sunset is early. You can enjoy the lights in the cities with out staying up way past your bedtime. That along with those things mentioned in the other posts.

October sailing is often iffy. "Do You Feel Lucky?" :D

Days can be mild and pleasant, and you can also run into the rainy season and have it rainy and in the 40s (F) for most of the week. Typically, most of the harvest is over by October in the Danube area, except for some late harvest wines such as TbA or maybe just some Auslese.

The Southern Rhone is probably your best bet in Oct, but even the short stay in Burgundy could be wet. Regardless of which tour you choose, I would advise always starting north and heading southerly during that time of the year!

Weather can be all over the map... on the same cruise.

We did Budapest to Prague - in early October. It was 28C at the start - and up through Vienna. We then hit rain. It was 6C when we hit Prague - and was snowing when we left for the airport. We hadn't planned for either extreme - as so was shopping for a winter coat in Marks & Spencer in Wenceslas Square!!!

I prefer September, but would travel in October again if the opportunity arose... I would just pack more layers!!

Fran

I did Bucharest to Budapest last year starting around November 2. We had great weather nearly the whole time...sunny in the 50s most of the time. Post trip to Prague was 20 degrees colder! Am doing Burgundy and Provence in November 2017 as we had such good luck.

We did a Budapest to Prague on Uniworld last October. Yes, the weather is definitely a bit cooler...you will need a light jacket (at least) but the colors are exploding along the Danube. Just glorious!!

We also had less tourists at this time at the various stops. Love to travel at that time of year for those reasons.

If you like photography, you will love the colors along the Danube.

Rick

we have done 2 mid-October river cruises : Amsterdam to Budapest with Prague extension....and Elbe river cruise with i dependenn pre and post stays in Berlin and Prague.

We had beautiful weather in general both trips...We had one day rain on the Grand European trip, but it cleared up. We had a dismal rainy day in Dresden on the Elbe cruise - but we toured a lot of the museums on our free time.....

Otherwise if you luck out with cool, sunny weather your photos will look like paintings, with explosions of autum colours (Rothenberg, Regensberg come to mind for Kodak moments) Also Saxony Bastei excursion on the Elbe, was absolutely stunning with the rock formations cropping up amongst burnt oranges and reds!

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer