1st Time NCL Cruiser Questions

ChinaShrek

I am planning to book my mom and I on the Norwegian Star for a cruise in April. We have sailed HAL three times and enjoy them quite a bit. However, NCL has a lot more 7-night cruises, which I prefer, and I am willing to give them a try. I have some questions about NCL in general (and perhaps the Star in particular):

1) Do we need to make reservations for the specialty restaurants before the cruise or can we make them the first day? Can we just show up and ask for a seat? We will have the dining package (3 free specialty meals) if that makes a difference.

2) Do we need to make reservations for the entertainment? What if we don't want to go after all? Conversely, can we just show up?

3) My mom and I have cruised Alaska and Spain. We loved both places. The Greek islands seem to be quite different. For those who have cruised the Greek islands, did you like it?

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

You 'should' make specialty dining reservations, as sometimes its difficult to get in to some restaurants.

No reservations for the shows, that is only for the newer ships; EPIC, Getaway, Breakaway and Escape.

The Greek Islands look fantastic haven't been there yet. Please do have a look at the PORTS OF CALL board for Greece to learn about your port stops and what is offered.

While I cannot speak specifically to the Star in general it is recommended that you make Specialty dining reservations prior to sailing. You'll be able to book or change onboard, but getting the place and time you want may be more difficult.

90 days prior to sailing you'll be able to make reservations.

Edited by Nola26

1) Do we need to make reservations for the specialty restaurants before the cruise or can we make them the first day? Can we just show up and ask for a seat? We will have the dining package (3 free specialty meals) if that makes a difference.

Exactly 90 days prior to your cruise, log on to your MyNCL account and make dinner reservations for best times. NCL holds tables for on-board booking, but if you book in advance, you can make other plans accordingly. Teppanyaki will sell out first. Cagney's Steakhouse is also very popular. Walk-ins sometimes get seated and sometimes turned away.

2) Do we need to make reservations for the entertainment? What if we don't want to go after all? Conversely, can we just show up?

No show reservations on the star. That is only done on the big mega-ships where there are 4000+ passengers and an 800 seat theater. Helps avoid people getting turned away.

3) My mom and I have cruised Alaska and Spain. We loved both places. The Greek islands seem to be quite different. For those who have cruised the Greek islands, did you like it?

Greek islands are beautiful.

Have a great cruise!

I am planning to book my mom and I on the Norwegian Star for a cruise in April. We have sailed HAL three times and enjoy them quite a bit. However, NCL has a lot more 7-night cruises, which I prefer, and I am willing to give them a try. I have some questions about NCL in general (and perhaps the Star in particular):

You should make reservations but with just two, you likely won't have any problem moving things around.

Only if you want to get in early to find the exact perfect seat you want. I've never seen a show in the main theater fill up.

It's beautiful.

Answers inline.

While I cannot speak specifically to the Star in general it is recommended that you make Specialty dining reservations prior to sailing. You'll be able to book or change onboard, but getting the place and time you want may be more difficult.

90 days prior to sailing you'll be able to make reservations.

Do you have to pay to make reservations? We have a Specialty Dining Package, if that matters.

Do you have to pay to make reservations? We have a Specialty Dining Package, if that matters.

Since you have SDP you won't be charged when you make your reservations. If you book a fourth dinner, then you'll be charged at the time of booking (unless it's an a la carte venue, and then you won't be charged until you dine).

Since you have SDP you won't be charged when you make your reservations. If you book a fourth dinner, then you'll be charged at the time of booking (unless it's an a la carte venue, and then you won't be charged until you dine).

Thank you for the quick response!