Newbie question, ports of call departure time

KarlChilders

If the departure time for a port of call is listed as 5pm, is that the time one must be back aboard (obviously with a cushion)? I saw elsewhere where it said you should be back on board 2 hours before departure. Having to be back aboard by 3 seems to limit time for exploring the port. I did a search and found lots of discussion of ships time vs local time but not an answer to this question.

It takes time to get thousands of people (potentially) back onto the ship. Imagine if everyone showed up at 4:55 and said "What's the problem, I'm here before 5....."

Return to the ship by the time that you are told to return to the ship (all aboard). Don't expect it to wait for you because you want to "explore".

Return to the ship by the time that you are told to return to the ship (all aboard). Don't expect it to wait for you because you want to "explore".

There will be signs as you disembark telling you when to get back on board. WEAR A WATCH!! Don't rely on your cell phone, in some cases ship time will be different. The all aboard time will also be listed in your Freestyle Daily along with the port agent's phone number in case you won't make it back on time so you can notify the agent.

USUALLY the return time for a port stop is half an hour before sailing, be sure you know what that time is before leaving the ship.

It takes time to get thousands of people (potentially) back onto the ship. Imagine if everyone showed up at 4:55 and said "What's the problem, I'm here before 5....."

I understand all that, I guess what I'm asking, is the time listed on the itinerary the "return/all aboard time" or the actual departure time.

There will be signs as you disembark telling you when to get back on board. WEAR A WATCH!! Don't rely on your cell phone, in some cases ship time will be different. The all aboard time will also be listed in your Freestyle Daily along with the port agent's phone number in case you won't make it back on time so you can notify the agent.

USUALLY the return time for a port stop is half an hour before sailing, be sure you know what that time is before leaving the ship.

Thank you....that was a helpful answer!

I understand all that, I guess what I'm asking, is the time listed on the itinerary the "return/all aboard time" or the actual departure time.

The time in the itinerary is the actual departure time.

As Sauer Kraut said, all aboard time is usually 30 minutes earlier.

If they tell you to be back onboard by 5 pm, that usually means the ship actually sails at 5:30 pm. However, that absolutely does NOT mean that you should feel free to "explore" until 5:30. When they say be back by 5, that means be back by 5.

We always tend to return to the ship well before the "all aboard" time. Mostly because the closer you get to the all aboard time, the more crowded it will be at the port entrance and at the ship entrance. For example, in Nassau, when there are four ships docked, the line to get back to the docks can be enormous.

As far as trying to cut it close and taking advantage of every minute you have to "explore".... just do a google search for "2016 Norwegian Breakaway Mom Left Behind in Nassau" and this will probably dispel all notions you might have of trying to maximise your time on shore. :D

The time in the itinerary is the actual departure time.

As Sauer Kraut said, all aboard time is usually 30 minutes earlier.

Interesting - I am sure I saw 1hr mentioned (just to muddy the waters) but maybe that's just to chivvy the laggards along a bit. :) I know we always used to tell a friend of ours a time half an hour earlier than anyone else to make sure he was at least close to being on time! :D

As far as trying to cut it close and taking advantage of every minute you have to "explore".... just do a google search for "2016 Norwegian Breakaway Mom Left Behind in Nassau" and this will probably dispel all notions you might have of trying to maximise your time on shore. :D

Right! as stated in the OP I planned to have a cushion, just thought the 2 hour that applied to embarkation day seemed a bit excessive for all ports.

Years ago, we missed a flight in Denver due to circumstances (rental car damaged on the way to airport, lots of paperwork). That was minor $ compared to being left in a port of call, I presume.

Interesting - I am sure I saw 1hr mentioned (just to muddy the waters) but maybe that's just to chivvy the laggards along a bit. :) I know we always used to tell a friend of ours a time half an hour earlier than anyone else to make sure he was at least close to being on time! :D

There are usually two times posted, 30 minutes before for passengers and an hour for crew. Maybe you saw the crew one.

I know we always used to tell a friend of ours a time half an hour earlier than anyone else to make sure he was at least close to being on time! :D

I've got a brother like that, if we want to eat Christmas dinner at 4, we tell him 2 and then we might eat at 4:15 :)

There are usually two times posted, 30 minutes before for passengers and an hour for crew. Maybe you saw the crew one.

I knew I had seen it somewhere:

"What time do I board the ship on embarkation day and in ports of call?

Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:

For your comfort and convenience, we recommend that guests who have not completed their Online Check-In arrive at the cruise terminal no later than two (2) hours prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. Guests who have completed their Online Check-In should arrive at the terminal no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. We STRONGLY recommend guests complete their Online Check-In at least four (4) days prior to sailing.

Final Boarding Time:

In order to facilitate the embarkation process and the processing of your eDocs, and to comply with new government regulations governing departure manifest, all guests are required to complete Online Check-In at least one day prior to sailing and must complete check-in at the cruise terminal and be onboard the ship no later than one hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail. Please note guests who have not filled out their Online Check-In must arrive at port two (2) hours prior to sailing. Any late arriving guest may join the ship at an approved port of call in the scheduled itinerary. Such guest will be responsible for all applicable fees and travel expenses to that subsequent port of call.

Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship."

However, once aboard, I feel sure there will be ship specific notices posted accordingly. Work on the 1 hour target and if it is less it's your gain. :)

Edited by AquaMarineFerret

If the departure time for a port of call is listed as 5pm, is that the time one must be back aboard (obviously with a cushion)? I saw elsewhere where it said you should be back on board 2 hours before departure. Having to be back aboard by 3 seems to limit time for exploring the port. I did a search and found lots of discussion of ships time vs local time but not an answer to this question.

All aboard time from your ports of call is 30 minutes prior to departure. If you are in line and waiting at that time they are not going to leave you, even if it takes extra time to get everyone on board.

The itinerary is the DEPARTURE time, normally the all-aboard time is 30 minutes before that. If it is a tender port I would advise you do NOT arrive for a tender that late!!

The 2 hours is on the embarkation day as they have to complete all legal requirements before departure, mainly getting the manifest completed.

The itinerary is the DEPARTURE time, normally the all-aboard time is 30 minutes before that. If it is a tender port I would advise you do NOT arrive for a tender that late!!

The 2 hours is on the embarkation day as they have to complete all legal requirements before departure, mainly getting the manifest completed.

I will add a warning about Nassau. They are doing renovations in the terminal and when we were there a few weeks ago (with 3 ships in port), there were only two security guards at two doors checking in passengers onto the piers. The lines were unbelievable...out of the terminal building, all the way back to the street. Give yourself some extra time if you're doing something on your own in Nassau.

And yes, the itinerary time is the departure time. You will see signs posted as you leave the ship with your "on board" time, which is generally half an hour before the ship sails away with out you. I also second the advice about using a watch, not a cell phone. Ship's time is not always the same as port time, and your cell phone, if turned on, will automatically switch to port time.

Edited by VideoTech