Struggling w/Rome excursions

Lyssa78

Hello, I will be in Rome (Civitavecchia) on Monday, Feb 20, 2017. I'm really struggling with this port. My husband wants to see the Colosseum and I want to see the Sistine Chapel. It seems the cruise tours only offer one or the other. They just have one tour that goes into the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica, in the morning it just does a quick driving tour of Rome.

The other tour that starts with a walking tour of Rome and the Colosseum and has free time at the Vatican in the afternoon. I'm not sure we if can get into the Sistine Chapel during our free time? It sounds like the lines are very long, so I don't know if the free time will just be a waste? I'm thinking of just pre-buying the Vatican Museum tickets, but I'm not sure what time to get and I'm not sure how flexible they are on the time.

I've trying looking for tours outside of the cruise ship tours, but they all seem to start at least 500 Euros for the whole van. I can't seem to find anyting like the SPB tours in St. Petersburg where you can buy tickets for just the members of your party. You don't have to rent the whole van. Do they not having anything like that for Rome?

Thanks for any help.

My cruise is in October and I picked Can't be Missed Tours. I'll let you know how it goes... we have the same must sees. Although I've been to Rome before, my BF has not been. I don't mind visiting the Colosseum and the Sistine Chapel again. From my previous experience, Rome is such a big city and if you do not plan your visit, you will get frustrated with the lines, transportation and bad maps!

Here's a link to their website: http://cantbemissedtours.com. For 99 EURO per person, I think it's a good buy. Considering they provide transportation to and from port and around the city too. They also pre-book tickets to the Colosseum and the Vatican Museum. You'll just need to pay it in cash the day of the tour.

If anyone has taken a tour with them, please please please let us know! : ) Also, just wondering if they give you free time for lunch and which area. Thanks in advance!

That looks like a good option, thanks! I just sent them a message to see if they will be running that day. I think our port time might be weird also, it's 8:00am to 6:00pm. It seems a lot of the tours start at 7:30, but this one says by 8:00am, so hopefully it will work.

If that doesn't pan out, I'm still not sure how flexible the time would be on the Vatican Museum tickets if I try to buy them on my own for the cruise ship tour.

Update, I just checked the dates on the website and it shows no available dates in February. So, it seems doubtful it will work out, unless they decide to open the date up. :(

Maybe it's just too far out. I'll let you know how my excursion goes and see if their tour checked all the boxes. Maybe by October, spots for your port day will open up! I'll keep detailed notes for you! : )

Thanks and good luck!

With these two specific items on your list, why not just do it on your own?

You can get the round-trip train ticket (called the BIRG) that costs 12 euro per person and includes transportation on the metro or buses all day in Rome.

1. Read up on this site how to get from the ship to the train station via the free port shuttle and then the 2 euro bus.

2. Take the train into Rome -- get off at the Ostiense station, and then take the metro (right next to the train station) to the Colosseum. Buy your tickets in advance to save time as there is usually a long line. You don't have to specify a time so it's good to do this first.

3. After you finish at the Colosseum, depending on how your timing looks, you can take a taxi (fastest) to the Vatican museum entrance. There are often a few taxis near the Colosseo metro entrance. Maybe tickets for 1:00 pm at the Vatican would be a good time. After you finish, you can take the train from the San Pietro station (near St. Peter's) back to Civitavecchia, and reverse the process to get back to your ship. I'd aim for a train around 3:30, or 4:00 at the very latest to get back.

You should have time to grab a quick bite after the Colosseum and before the Vatican. Neither of those two areas is the ideal spot for lunching (both heavily based on the tourist trade) but nonetheless you can probably get pannini or pizza to eat 'on the go'.

Working in your favor is the fact that it's the dead of winter, so there will be fewer tourists and almost certainly the train will be less crowded.

Had to smile when we saw the topic "Struggling w Rome Excursions." To be blunt, with forty plus years of extensive cruising we got tired of "struggling with excursions" about thirty five years ago and now seldom to never take any excursion (unless it is absolutely necessary). So, you want to see both the Sistine Chapel (which means you must gain admission to the Vatican Museums) and the Colosseum in a port day, which can be pushing things...time wise. But we would simply do this on our own (for relatively low cost, We would be among the first off the ship, use the free port shuttle bus...connect to the local train station bus and then grab the train to Rome (you could by a BIRG ticket for 12€ which covers round trip regional train plus all days use of Rome's Metro). Once we got to Rome we would get off the train at the S. Pietro Station and either walk, use public transit (covered by a BIRG ticket) or grab a taxi (if one is available) over to the Vatican. At that point, unless you have made prior arrangements...you must simply join the long queue for the museums which open at 9am. With some luck you will get in by 10 or 10:30 and can then tour the museums and also visit the Sistine Chapel. Once we leave that tour we would also visit St Peters and then using our feet and public transit head over to the Colosseum. There are ways to deal with the long line problem by purchasing certain tours/tickets in advance....but we will leave that subject to others more expert then moi. After the Colosseum, depending on the time...we would work our way back to Termini (the main train station) using public transit....where we catch the train back to Civitavecchia. The cost of this would be about 12€ for the BIRG ticket, 16€ for the Vatican Ticket and 12€ for the Colosseum ticket or a total cost of 40€ per person! Buying tickets or tours in advance will add to the cost. Personally this is not our kind of day (we love to enjoy Rome rather then rushing place to place and waiting on lines) but it is certainly doable.

If you want to spend the big bucks and not spend time doing homework and planning....you could easily book a private tour with companies like Romecabs or Romeinlimo (and there are many others) and design your own itinerary. Good tour companies usually have the ability (for a price) to help avoid the long lines.

Hank

I agree with Hank to do the Vatican first. Last April there were a lot of guides for hire outside, but I don't know anything about quality. Rome cabs is an awesome company and you could set up to have them drive you along with some others to share from your roll call to St. Peter's. The colosseum is easy to access by metro. You can see it quite well from outside.

Is there any chance you can spend a few days before or after your cruise to really enjoy Rome? There is a lot to see and do.

Lyssa78-

Have you check out the roll call for your cruise? Someone may already be forming tours that you could join.

<<<Karen>>>

I was going to suggest the same thing, or that the OP could use the Roll Call to form a tour of her own.

We did a winter cruise in the Med six years ago (it was fabulous), and had a port call in Civitavecchia. Six of us on our Roll Call got together and booked a private shore excursion with Romeinlimo -- we toured the Colosseum in the morning, saw other parts of Ancient Rome and the Centro Storico, had a wonderful lunch, and spent the afternoon (with a private guide) in the Vatican Museums, including the Sistine Chapel, before being driven back to the ship.

It was a chilly day, we had pouring rain for most of it, but had an absolutely wonderful time. I had been to Rome before, and have been back since for more than a one-day port call, but I have great memories of that day.

Colosseum_zps94a24013.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

We used Can't Be Missed Tours in Rome and for Amalfi coast/Pompeii two years ago. In Rome we saw both the coliseum and St. Peter's basilica but not the chapel because itas closed due to a national holiday. It was a very packed day using buses, trains, metro and walking. I highly recommend them. We got the same guides as cruise excursions do but smaller group and more personal. Send them an email to ask about dares.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are doing Rome in Limo. Just didn't want the hassle . It's the only port we booked a full tour. 8 of us and a private Vatican guide. Our tour filled up in 10 minutes. I'm 69 and don't think I'll go back again so went for it. Most ports we'll do on our own.

We are doing Rome in Limo. Just didn't want the hassle . It's the only port we booked a full tour. 8 of us and a private Vatican guide. Our tour filled up in 10 minutes. I'm 69 and don't think I'll go back again so went for it. Most ports we'll do on our own.

See my post number 11 above; you will have a great time. Yes, you could DIY in Rome, but with limited time in an unfamiliar place (and especially having to do the RT travel from Civi), you will see far more on your one-day port call. And, as you said, it will not be a hassle.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We used share a shore excursion in Italy.

The excursion was excellent and every bit of what we expected. The driver, Claudio, was prompt in arriving at the dock and back to the dock exactly on schedule. Claudio was very charming and a complete professional. He gave us the opportunity to decide which sites we wanted to see because of time constraints. He gave us a great description of the many sites around Rome and made sure we had good positions to photograph these sites.

Our tour guide at the Vatican was Simone. He is definitely a unique individual who knows his way around the Vatican. His background in archeology a Roman history proved to be a big asset as his description of the various sites in the Vatican were outstanding. What made Simone more likeable was his humor. If he ever decides to quit being a tour guide he could become a comedian in Las Vegas and be a success. I would pay to see him perform.

Overall we had a great excursion and recommend your company and services with the highest confidence. The coach ws very comfortable and cool during some hot and humid weather. Thank you very much and we hope to tour with you again in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post #7 is probably the only way you can do both. Feb is off season so lines shouldn't be too bad to get in the Vatican museum to get to Sistine chapel. What I will say is that you are looking at a minimum 2 hours just to get through museum to see the chapel and that's if you don't really spend a lot of time stopping to look at everything. That place is huge. The colosseum is neat and honestly I liked it better. You have several options at coliseum, audio self tours, tours by guide inside or hawkers outside that will give you a tour outside then give you tickets to walk inside on your own. I've done both types of tours and the one inside is better. I will say we lucked into walking right up to entrance and there was an English tour starting right then so no wait. That tour and on our own in colosseum was about two-3 hours. The metro stops at each of the major tourist destinations and is fairly easy to get around I would never rent a car there. Given a choice I would actually take train into Rome then just ride the metro around check out Trevi fountain and then colosseum. If you have time after that check my out Sistine chapel. I will say that is a lot to try and do in one day and a lot of walking. But if you are fit and fast it's doable. If you want to relax and enjoy then I do suggest picking the one you just really have to see first then play it by ear. Good luck! Rome is phenomenal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You have three options in my book

1)find a tour company and book a private tour or small group to do what you want.

2) take train, train to area for Vatican, you will need to wake or taxi to the main area, or car to Vatican( many taxi options with shared transport for value outside the port, many will want to go to the vatican so you can cut cost by sharing or prebook a ride). Once there if you bought tickets online you could wait for your time which should be close (I'd do about 10am) or around 55 Euro or so there will be people saying cut the line and they will give you a tour. Or wait in the long line (which at 11am in November when I went there was about two hours, not recommend).

Then head over to Colosseum via taxi or train. You can buy tickets in advance here or show up and wait in line. If you want to wait to buy tickets just up the street ( a block) is the Forum which never has a line. You could buy your combo ticket which includes this forum and the colosseum. Then tour as long as time will allow. The price is the same for combo ticket because they all include the same sites, you pay a small fee to book in advance on line I believe.

I gave train and taxi options because budget and time determine which you will use. Taxi will cost more but save time, but train will cost a lot less but can take more time. You might want to take the train in using the Brig ticket and then taxi in Rome itself.

3. Pick one or the other and really give yourself time to see it. Flip a coin and hope you win. They are literally across town from each other so while it can be done, I would pick one area and see what else is around there you may be interested in. Maybe not your first choice but your second choice site may be near by.

We had pizza at a counter service place right by the Trevi fountain. It wasn't great but the gelato we had afterward was! In any case we wanted to eat relatively quick and get on with exploring the city and pizza worked for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app