Call from NCL re: water

NW Pacific

If they consider $40 -reasonable for case of water -that's nuts -carnival's $4 -seems like that are trying to before consumer friendly

I may be wrong, but isn't Carnival's price $4.99 for 12 half liter (16.9 oz) bottles. That is not a case in my opinion.

We are sailing on the Escape 7/31 and received an email about the policy change about 2 weeks ago.

In October we tried to bring on 2 bottles of wine for our cabin, but since they were going to charge us $15 per bottle, I opted not to bring them onboard and we got it back at the end.

We usually just bring empty water bottles and fill it at the buffet for use when going off the ship.

Pepsi, no Coke! LOL! (SNL John Belushi)

https://video.yahoo.com/olympia-restaurant-000000640.html

My son has been given full cans of root beer,but rootbeer isn't even on their list. He can't have caffeine but does enjoy a soda or two on a cruise. My daughter reminded me that at the pool bar she and her other brother were given cans of Pepsi and ginger ale. This is NOT the norm and I don't know why it happened. They did have the soda package.

I think they have exceptions to the rule onboard. Not sure who, what, or why but every once in a while you read of exceptions happening like this. I don't believe it is what is posted on NCL's website however.

Why on earth wouldn't you drink water out of your bathroom tap at home? The same water comes out of that tap as in the kitchen!!!

You would have hated growing up in the village I did in Scotland. All the water came from the local reservoir which ran off a peat bog....we never drank anything BUT brown water. tasted great. Having a bath was interesting as all the sediment settle at the bottom of the bath tub!

The first Watergate post that made me smile :)

We have a well at home - our water runs from the burn, through the well - down a field, into our home system - through a infra red - and yes, its a lovely tainted brown colour. We are ECUK food approved premises and our water is tested regularly - it tests zero every time - perfect water - cleaner and purer than the town (12 miles away) supply which is allowed a count of up to .9. Yet, if I poured out a glass of water and asked 20 people to choose the purest - I would bet they would pick the town water...

Not - and sure - sometimes its crystal - other times its peaty - especially after the burn is flooded.

Personally I think NCL have every right to charge what they want. And btw folks, Celebrity only recently stopped giving AQUAclass (oh the irony) guests their daily free bottle in cabin - its down to one only now on arrival...

Water is a profit making commodity - I charge for water in my business - fact of modern business times.

I will ask for water as we need it - and couldn't care less - if I cant afford to pay what 100$ maybe for our two weeks cruise - I cant afford to cruise! Chilled iced water at the table is 100% fine for us :) (I prefer the Pinot Noir!)

This is the issue we have with it. We've only brought a single 2-liter bottle of ginger ale on board in all of our cruises, but the fact that they make huge changes like this and are waiting until after cruisers are within final payment just rubs me the wrong way. The other issue I have with this is how callous it seems some of the phone reps and even the executive team are.

Yes, nobody is going to die over water or soda, but what's the next big change?

If this is a HUGE CHANGE to you I hate to see what you think when something that really is huge comes along. What did all you people do before marketers convinced you that you just could not do without water prepackaged in a sealed bottle? The definition of gullible in the dictionary has the reference "see bottled water"... I think I am going to start selling bagged air and sell it to people gong on cruises.

Whoa, I have to defend the bottled water industry here a bit because now I see the industry itself being attacked. I am not in the bottled water industry either so no extra motivation. Bottled water is just convenient, cap on top allows you to drink at your leisure. Also bottled water over TAP water is no contest taste wise. I love bottled water. And really the cost is very low. You get 40 bottles from Costco for what 3 bucks or something.

My son has been given full cans of root beer,but rootbeer isn't even on their list. He can't have caffeine but does enjoy a soda or two on a cruise. My daughter reminded me that at the pool bar she and her other brother were given cans of Pepsi and ginger ale. This is NOT the norm and I don't know why it happened. They did have the soda package.

Root beer usually has caffeine. Some (Barq's) has LOTS of caffeine (bite).

One brand, MUG is caffeine-free. MUG is a Pepsi brand. If Pepsi goes away, so does caffeine-free root beer.

Stephen

Wow, this thread is heated.

I've never brought on water or any other liquid. I bring a refillable water bottle and use a glass in the buffet to fill it or use the sink in my stateroom.

If the bottled water was cheaper from NCL, I'd buy it but I honestly don't think they are gouging, I think they actually don't want you to buy it. The most valuable thing on any sailing vessel is space and if water were affordable, half the boat would drink a case per week. So imagine 2,000 cases of water.

I have seen people try, some successfully and some not try and smuggle vodka in water bottles. Searching for these folks takes time for the baggage screeners and that means it takes longer to get my luggage. Screw those guys, I want my suitcase. lol

if you are freaked out about the water, buy a bottle with a filter. A simple and inexpensive Britta bottle is fine or if you are really freaked, get a Camelbak All Clear which has both a filter and UV light and kills the crap out of everything and I mean everything. I drank mosquito-infested sludge water out of it in the Amazon jungle. Damn thing works.

Bottom line is cruise companies are just that, companies and they need to make a profit to survive. They have to sail a ship with at least 93%-95% capacity just to break even. I know I have been on sailings with less than that so the company was actually losing money that week. If they were the airlines, they probably would have cancelled the flight. I personally think of the major cruise lines, NCL nickel and dimes people the least and even that, who cares? Cruising is still a very good value in comparison to land-based hotels, and restaurants and entertainment for a week or more, with or without you bringing you own beverage stash.

Just roll with it and enjoy your vacation.

Edited by pliskin

I hope that those who continue to come to this thread to repeat water-splaining that's already been offered a number of times remember their reaction when NCL changes a policy that impacts them when they are within the penalty for cancellation period for one of their trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope that those who continue to come to this thread to repeat water-splaining that's already been offered a number of times remember their reaction when NCL changes a policy that impacts them when they are within the penalty for cancellation period for one of their trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still trying to figure out what that policy change would need to be for me to be this outraged.

I am still trying to figure out what that policy change would need to be for me to be this outraged.
Me too. I guess if they said I had to cook my own meals, that would be a deal breaker. I wouldn't make a fuss, I'd just leave and go to another cruise line.

Root beer usually has caffeine. Some (Barq's) has LOTS of caffeine (bite).

One brand, MUG is caffeine-free. MUG is a Pepsi brand. If Pepsi goes away, so does caffeine-free root beer.

Stephen

Yup. He likes an occasional MUG but will have to do with GASP ! Other beverages if NCL dumps Pepsi.

It's quite nice of them to give him cans of it.

Hooray for people who don't think NCL could do anything that would bother them. I'm sure NCL management appreciates your tolerance. Again, I hope that should your breaking point ever be reached, it's before you make final payment on a trip.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I think keeping the pressure on to get water and specialty coffee and fresh juice added to NCL's not very competitive beverage plan is pretty impressive.

Of course, so is simply ignoring threads that you think are a waste of time. That's what I do. But who am I to judge how people choose to spend their Sunday afternoon?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Breaking point? Over water?

I have been on many cruise ships and when I am sitting at a bar and someone next to me is complaining about some minute thing as evidence of how <insert cruise line here> is cheap and trying to rip them off, it actually makes me sad. They have just spent a lot of money on a vacation and they are allowing something insignificant to ruin their mindset. Why go?

Happiness is a choice. And so is unhappiness. I have had more unscrupulous foreign cab drivers than I can count including one in Athens that dropped me off in the Greek equivalent of Compton in the middle of the night then tried to extort 200 Euros to take me to my actual hotel. I have had severe dysentery in the Amazon jungle and actually had a gun pressed against my head in the middle of nowhere in Guatemala yet I never let any of these things ruin my vacations. Even the gun thing.

While it might be impressive to you that people are standing up for including water, its never going to happen for the reason I gave before: storage. I can easily knock out a case of half liter bottles in a week and multiply that by the number of passengers on board. People drink a ton of water. Where do you put 2000+ cases of water? And especially when the water on the ship is purified to a much higher standard than the water in those bottles? So fighting for something you have zero chance of achieving will only lead to more frustration when they don't cave to your demands.

Or you can let it go, enjoy your vacation, have an amazing time and experience a ton of new things. Be happy and don't let small things take even a moment of joy from you. Its never worth it.

I've sailed a lot of different cruise lines and I always come back to NCL because of their staff. While I've had a few duds, 99% of the people have been awesome and really enjoy their work. That alone triples the enjoyment of my vacation. I know you will love NCL and that you'll have an amazing time.

PS: If you want specialty coffee, get a suite. They have these amazing Lavazza coffee machines that make all sorts of specialty coffees for free.

Edited by pliskin

I think cancelling after final payment would be very impressive and make a strong point. I'd like to see that.

NCL is so bloody greedy that no matter where in the final payment period

one is NCL will resell your cell ah er cabin stateroom to the next highest

bidder and still come out smelling stinky and ouzing with profit - AND

if not successful in reselling the cabin well NCL got a fraction token out of

it with little of no maintenance and overhead.

It is WIN-WIN for NCL and no win for the consumer/customer and a losing

venture for the crew with less opportunity to get tips etc.

We leave for Breakaway in just under three weeks. I have no doubt that we will have a great vacation with countless positive memories. As always, we will buy plenty of bottled water because water is water and it is sold on board. Soda is a completely different problem. I drink far more Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper than I should (it is my morning coffee for those of you that relate to that). Maybe that's a good analogy, if the cruise only offered hot tea and told the coffee drinkers that they could not carry it on.

In the past I carried on what was unavailable on board. If it was offered on board I would gladly pay for my desired soda; lugging soda to the pier is a pain in the butt.

Having said all of this, if this is not your issue I can see how this seems completely overblown, but that is true of most issues we don't relate to.

Edited by jimp1266

We leave for Breakaway in just under three weeks. I have no doubt that we will have a great vacation with countless positive memories. As always, we will buy plenty of bottled water because water is water and it is sold on board. Soda is a completely different problem. I drink far more Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper than I should (it is my morning coffee for those of you relate to that). Maybe that's a good analogy, if the cruise only offered hot tea and told the coffee drinkers that they could not carry it on.

In the past I carried on what was unavailable on board. If it was offered on board I would gladly pay for my desired soda; lugging soda to the pier is a pain in the butt.

Having said all of this, if this is not your issue I can see how this seems completely overblown, but that is true of most issues we don't relate to.

Seems a fair assessment. It's a shame more folk (including companies) don't seem to subscribe to 'fair and reasonable' in outlook and behaviour.

NCL is so bloody greedy

Wow, you are angry. I am sorry this has upset you so much. What I don't think you are aware of is that corporate executives are required BY LAW to maximize revenue for the benefit of shareholders. You can make an argument that the law is bad but it is in fact a law. Some have even gone to jail over it (i.e. Enron), but there have been numerous class action lawsuits around it and executives can be held personally liable. Its called breach of fiduciary duty. The law is in place to prevent companies from making decisions that don't increase profits or decisions that lose money. Otherwise, your IRA and 401K could plummet in value which might upset you more and also cause the stock market to tumble. I'm not kidding. That's why the law is in place. So when people talk about corporate greed, remember that they are legally obligated to do so.

Ever gotten a soda at a fast food place? Well it might surprise you to know that the soda costs less than 1/2 cent per ounce and the cup, lid and straw cost a few cents when buying in bulk. So a 16 ounce soda costs them about 12 cents to provide yet they charge you $1.59. Now you know why all fast food places offer "meals." Because the profit margin on fries and a drink are way better than the profit from the sandwich itself. Point being, all companies are out to make a profit. That's what companies do.

The real question is do you feel that you are getting a good vacation value for your money? I do, that's why I go on cruises. If you don't, don't go on cruises. But water shouldn't be the breaking point between a good value and not a good value.

I truly hope you can let this go and have a great time on your vacation in a couple of weeks! You deserve a relaxing good time! And I am going to send you a hug.

Edited by pliskin

Wow, you are angry. I am sorry this has upset you so much. What I don't think you are aware of is that corporate executives are required BY LAW to maximize revenue for the benefit of shareholders. You can make an argument that the law is bad but it is in fact a law. Some have even gone to jail over it (i.e. Enron), but there have been numerous class action lawsuits around it and executives can be held personally liable. Its called breach of fiduciary duty. The law is in place to prevent companies from making decisions that don't increase profits or decisions that lose money. Otherwise, your IRA and 401K could plummet in value which might upset you more and also cause the stock market to tumble. I'm not kidding. That's why the law is in place. So when people talk about corporate greed, remember that they are legally obligated to do so.

Ever gotten a soda at a fast food place? Well it might surprise you to know that the soda costs less than 1/2 cent per ounce and the cup, lid and straw cost a few cents when buying in bulk. So a 16 ounce soda costs them about 12 cents to provide yet they charge you $1.59. Now you know why all fast food places offer "meals." Because the profit margin on fries and a drink are way better than the profit from the sandwich itself. Point being, all companies are out to make a profit. That's what companies do.

The real question is do you feel that you are getting a good vacation value for your money? I do, that's why I go on cruises. If you don't, don't go on cruises. But water shouldn't be the breaking point between a good value and not a good value.

I truly hope you can let this go and have a great time on your vacation in a couple of weeks! You deserve a relaxing good time! And I am going to send you a hug.

Oh, how I wish I could disagree - your point has been in the back of my mind, but even so there are ways and means to maximise profits. Rather than charge so much for staples like water, why not add something to some of the luxuries? I know: you can't please everyone... :)

No, it's not going to spoil our cruise either - still very much looking forward to our first experience of life on the ocean wave. :)

Your comments make me wonder why NCLH tripled Del Rio's salary yet they have NEVER paid the shareholders any dividends. Is that what companies do ??????????????