Call from NCL re: water

NW Pacific

Our upcoming NCL cruise is going to be the first one where I do not buy a future cruise certificate. We are platinum plus 70 and I've always enjoyed my NCL cruises. It's not just about not being able to bring soda and water onboard. It's the beverage package not allowing purchase of water. We just finished a Celebrity cruise with a beverage package. I imagine the gratuity was built into the price, so I won't say how annoying that gratuity is....although I might feel compelled to try to consume the amount of product that gratuity represents...not a good thing to try to get one's money's worth in that case. Not good to have a whole ship of people doing that, either. The X beverage package included gratuity, water, and all the Diet Cokes I wanted. I am a Diet Coke addict and I don't drink coffee. I have searched for Diet Coke/Coke Light all over the world in order to have my morning burst of energy. Now, not only is NCL a Pepsi product ship, but I won't be able to bring my Diet Cokes as I've always done. All of the above=look at other lines first, not NCL anymore.

And no, I don't drink bottled water all the time at home. It is, however, the best option when traveling.

All of the changes since we last sailed make me long for the O'Sheehan regime.

Edited by HokiePoq

Okay, dumb question here but I'm contemplating booking a NCL cruise in the fall and was curious. I live off bottled water and since I'd have to remortgage my house to buy the cruiseline's water bottles, could I bring my own filtration bottle and use it to filter the tap water on the ship? Would this be gross for some reason I'm missing?

Okay, dumb question here but I'm contemplating booking a NCL cruise in the fall and was curious. I live off bottled water and since I'd have to remortgage my house to buy the cruiseline's water bottles, could I bring my own filtration bottle and use it to filter the tap water on the ship? Would this be gross for some reason I'm missing?

That is what I am doing. I purchased the Sawyer mini, and will be filtering the water on board. I got it for around $20. It filters 100,000 gallons. I will also bring our own Tervis cups too.

That's the problem!

We also would have had NO idea, if we weren't on CruiseCritic.

And it's only a small minority of cruisers who are on CC, so the rest would have no idea...

We received *nothing* about this directly from NCL

The water/soda new policy was on my docs once they became available online, which you can't access until after final payment approximately 4-5 weeks out. My docs for my Sept 5th cruise still aren't available. So you are correct. You don't read about the change until you are fully paid up.

You can do that. There is also filtered water available in the buffet; you can use a "transfer glass" to fill up a water bottle (they don't want a bottle that has been used pushed up against the water dispenser). We always found the filtered water in the buffet and the MDR to be fine. They use very good filtration that completely removes the chlorine.

The Steward will also bring you a picture of filtered water upon request. For us that's a better solution because we don't want to have to worry about running out of water in the middle of the night.

You can bring as many EMPTY bottles vessels containers what have you that

your heart desires all you will be doing is causing the water police to be bogged

down in their search for the elusive H2O !

The was a construction worker many years ago at a security construction site.

Every night after clocking out from work he put is lunch pail in a wheelbarrow

and left the property. Finally after several weeks the dim witted security

agent monitoring the site stopped and asked what he was doing - and he

flatly told him he was taking his wheelbarrow and lunch home. Never quite

dawned on the agent that he was smuggling wheelbarrows with his lunch pail !

You will be fine with your filtered water bottle - just make sure your cabin

steward keeps you amply supplied with water to filter and ice to make it cold.

May I suggest that you bring an additional bottle if like to stay frequently

hydrated - leave one in the in cabin mini fridge for cool filtered water always

at hand !

And all this because of a NCL dumbfounded water policy - idiots !

• 1 month later...

From Royal Caribbean's website:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port.

From Carnival's web site:

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

But NCL is the money grabbers? All this over bottled water, something we shouldn't be drinking anyway?

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port.

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

But NCL is the money grabbers? All this over bottled water, something we shouldn't be drinking anyway?

"We Shouldn't"? You have decided for all of us?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please tell me why you seem to know that I shouldn't be drinking bottled water?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I go to my Doctor and all I hear during my check-up is "DRINK MORE WATER" !

I don't hear Drink more booze soda wine soft hard diet sugar free - just simply

'DRINK MORE WATER" !

So drink all the FREE water you can and avoid everything else in a reserved

conservative moderation sense or put in other terms whatever your financial

wallet credit card can afford.

Of course I would not suggest that you boycott NCL to the point of making

your ship a DRY SHIP - then the price of water would be like some controversial

drugs makers mark-up giving NCL some new ideas on how to pad the umbrella

of FDR !

But "DRINK MORE WATER" the FREE stuff that is - it will be amazing both your

health physically and financially will love you - NCL not so much !

"We Shouldn't"? You have decided for all of us?

Please tell me why you seem to know that I shouldn't be drinking bottled water?

Good Lord people! The vitriol over water and something where both RCL and Carnival have the same policy...SMH. But since you asked:

1) Your home tap water is as good if not better quality than bottled water.

2) The ship's filtration system is better than what is used for bottled water.

3) The vast majority of bottled water is sold by Coke - Desani, Pepsi - Aquafina or Nestle (candy maker). Think about that.

4) This: http://thesaltcollective.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/sleeping-with-the-bottles.jpg

Do whatever you want. But you could just as easily bring a few empty water bottles and be better off and save money and be better to the environment.

This is a good read if you are interested: http://www.businessinsider.com/coke-and-pepsis-bottled-water-strategy-2016-2

Edited by pliskin

Good Lord people! The vitriol over water and something where both RCL and Carnival have the same policy...SMH. But since you asked:

1) Your home tap water is as good if not better quality than bottled water.

2) The ship's filtration system is better than what is used for bottled water.

3) The vast majority of bottled water is sold by Coke - Desani, Pepsi - Aquafina or Nestle (candy maker). Think about that.

4) This: http://thesaltcollective.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/sleeping-with-the-bottles.jpg

Do whatever you want. But you could just as easily bring a few empty water bottles and be better off and save money and be better to the environment.

This is a good read if you are interested: http://www.businessinsider.com/coke-and-pepsis-bottled-water-strategy-2016-2

No no no.

It is patently obvious that the world needs a LOT MORE plastic trash and consuming bottled water within reach of perfectly fine dispensed water is a very effective way of generating trash for no reasonable reason.

No no no.

It is patently obvious that the world needs a LOT MORE plastic trash and consuming bottled water within reach of perfectly fine dispensed water is a very effective way of generating trash for no reasonable reason.

In many states in the USA, plastic bottles are considered recyclables -- NOT trash.

They are made into many useful products.

The cruise lines recycle everything that can be recycled and incinerate a lot of the non-recyclable stuff.

Edited by swedish weave

Nonsense !!!!

You know that the best method of recycling is to not make the thing in the first place, right? The production of water bottles uses 17 million barrels of oil a year, and it takes three times the water to make the bottle as it does to fill it.

Edited by pliskin

You know that the best method of recycling is to not make the thing in the first place, right? The production of water bottles uses 17 million barrels of oil a year, and it takes three times the water to make the bottle as it does to fill it.

Much of the stuff we use in our daily lives results in trash and recycling, so why select water bottles as an example ?? Almost everything we purchase has plastic wrapping or packaging.

I always find it funny that people make plastic water bottles a moral crusade and mention the oil used in making them, then jump happily on a completely unnecessary cruise that will be burning foul, dirty oil sludge for fun and frivolity. It is not "green" to go on a cruise, people.

Most of the stats are simply wrong on this issue. They cite the number of water bottles sold, and then equate that to them being thrown away and ending up in landfills. That is simply not true. All of the water bottles on NCL are recycled, and all of the ones I use are as well. In California, over 85% of the plastic water bottles sold are returned and the deposit redeemed (and of the other 15%, some of those thrown in the trash are captured by mandatory recycling and diverted to recycle use).

I like the taste of bottled water. Some like the taste of beer, even though it tastes like pee, and some like wine, even though that is a messy, environmentally unfriendly industry (wine bottles have a far lower recycling percentage).

No one going on a cruise has moral standing to criticize any other passenger based on environmental concerns. Staying at home has far less impact on the environment.

No one going on a cruise has moral standing to criticize any other passenger based on environmental concerns.

That isn't the point. The point, if you read the thread, is that its asinine to freak out about NCL not allowing bottled water to be brought on ship and for some to say they will never sail NCL again even though RCL and Carnival have the same policy. All I said was it was something we "shouldn't" be doing. That's not judging anyone. We shouldn't be eating fried foods. We shouldn't be drinking soda. We shouldn't smoke. Those are all fairly obvious, non-judgemental statements.

Someone asked why we shouldn't and I explained why. That's it. Regarding people who drink bottled water, you are making this "judgment" thing up honestly. If I am judging anyone, its people who say I will never sail greedy NCL again because of bottled water. Or money grabbing corporate evil blah blah blah. Yes, I am judging those people.

Edited by pliskin