Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter tour

IceGator99

We're doing the Mendenhall Glacier tour in August. What shoes would be best for our young sons? I see that ice over boots are provided. Our boys have snow boots, but I hate to pack them for 1 excursion if their sneakers would work.

We're doing the Mendenhall Glacier tour in August. What shoes would be best for our young sons? I see that ice over boots are provided. Our boys have snow boots, but I hate to pack them for 1 excursion if their sneakers would work.

You will leave your shoes at the helicopter terminal and only wear the boots provided. When you arrive at the glacier, you will be fitted with crampons for walking on the glacier.

Edited by Crew News

You will leave your shoes at the helicopter terminal and only wear the boots provided. When you arrive at the glacier, you will be fitted with crampons for walking on the glacier.

Okay, a couple of questions. First, what is a crampon?

You say you will leave your shoes at the terminal. Do all helicopter companies do that (as in is this a law or something)? We aren't returning to the terminal but being dropped off at our fishing excursion. What would they do in that case since you can't bring a back pack because you can't have anything loose? Wouldn't are shoes then be loose? We are bringing feet warmers. Can we still use them in the provided boots? Just as more info: it will be grandma, grandpa and our four kids all under 12. Oh, and we are doing the dog sledding.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You have just joined a great place to learn everything and anything about cruising. Oh, and lots of things you didn't want to know to. Just a word of advise, don't ask about tipping. :D

Not true.

The boots provided slide over the shoes you have on. NO need to pack anything extra. The boots have metal studs built in and give you excellent traction on the glacier.

The boots look very similar to this:

450_VNN1_lg.jpg

IceGator99, if your boys want to wear gym shoes, that's fine.

I did this helicopter tour this past May.

Not true.

The boots provided slide over the shoes you have on. NO need to pack anything extra. The boots have metal studs built in and give you excellent traction on the glacier.

The boots look very similar to this:

450_VNN1_lg.jpg

IceGator99, if your boys want to wear gym shoes, that's fine.

I did this helicopter tour this past May.

I did the Coastal Helicopters ride in May (too) and the boots we wore were exactly like these pictured. I wore my regular sneakers inside these glacier boots. Not a problem. Just FYI: They have a large lockable storage bin so you can leave anything extra (no bags allowed on the helicopter) at the terminal while you're gone - what you take on the ride will need to fit in your pockets.

Have fun! It's awesome!

JcHZkT

Edited by SuperCrewBear

Crampons are ONLY used with Northstar trekking tours, (or a specific, extended time trekking with other vendors)

You do NOT get crampons with a regular glacier landings. All the recent trips I have gone on- had the slide on, over shoes boots. My first trips had boots- with your shoes having to be removed.

All you have to call the vendor directly, for the accurate- current information.

Well, we aren't returning to the base so leaving something behind won't work. They are dropping us off at Harv & Marvs instead. I plan on buying cargo pants for all the kids and probably me too. Don't think I can get DH to wear them and if he did it would be that one time so not worth the cost.

Thanks for the view of the boots though.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Well, we aren't returning to the base so leaving something behind won't work. They are dropping us off at Harv & Marvs instead. I plan on buying cargo pants for all the kids and probably me too. Don't think I can get DH to wear them and if he did it would be that one time so not worth the cost.

Thanks for the view of the boots though.

You do not need any special or additional clothes. why aren't you just calling the vendor direct and asking them? Everything will go with you, simple. They will just add in the weight.

I

You do not need any special or additional clothes. why aren't you just calling the vendor direct and asking them? Everything will go with you, simple. They will just add in the weight.

I did call them directly. They said "only what they can carry". The kids will have gloves, cameras, hand warmers, hats, etc. I was told I could not bring a small backpack to hold them all. I can't carry it all and I don't expect a 6, 8 etc. to carry it all day either. It is easier to just put the camera in a pocket in their pants. Same with snacks that they might want (yes pre-packaged), extra batteries, the go-pro. They know the ages of my kids and what I want to bring. I called and have it in my email confirmation.

I

I did call them directly. They said "only what they can carry". The kids will have gloves, cameras, hand warmers, hats, etc. I was told I could not bring a small backpack to hold them all. I can't carry it all and I don't expect a 6, 8 etc. to carry it all day either. It is easier to just put the camera in a pocket in their pants. Same with snacks that they might want (yes pre-packaged), extra batteries, the go-pro. They know the ages of my kids and what I want to bring. I called and have it in my email confirmation.

Is this just the standard, single landing flight? You do not need hand warmers- so don't bother bringing them. I don't even use gloves on my flights, you don't need those either- unless you are going to run into high winds- and then the flight is going to be canceled.

What did they suggest with your one way trip? Since you are going with TEMSCO, have you looked for who the manager is and contact them?

A snack can fit in a pocket and a purse.

Edited by Budget Queen

How are you getting off the glacier? The helo is going to return to base and I highly doubt that it will drop you off at the fishing excursion. From there I suspect that you will get a car/van ride to H&M. For more ideas of what is in store view some youtube videos and use Mendenhall helo as search. It really is a great experience. It goes so quick you won't have time to notice how cold you are and can warm up on the boat ride.

sightcrr

Also for info most helos have max of 6 so your group will be between two helos and who sits where is decided at time of flight by pilot and staff and unless very close in weight will be in the same seats outbound and inbound. Maybe I read it wrong and only 6 going and not mom & dad and then it will be one.

sightcrr

Is this just the standard, single landing flight? You do not need hand warmers- so don't bother bringing them. I don't even use gloves on my flights, you don't need those either- unless you are going to run into high winds- and then the flight is going to be canceled.

What did they suggest with your one way trip? Since you are going with TEMSCO, have you looked for who the manager is and contact them?

A snack can fit in a pocket and a purse.

I am going with Coastal. I have never said TEMSCO. I have also talked with them and had it in writing. There was no gray area. I could NOT take a back pack or any other thing that was not attached to their body (or carried). No matter how many times others tell me, that is what they said to me in writing.

We are doing the dog sledding then we are doing the second landing where we were assured the kids will be able to play in the snow.

Because of time constraints they have agreed to fly us directly to H&Ms and drop us all right there at their front door. No going back to base and then driving.

They have even agreed to call them when we are on our way so they can order pizza for us so the kids have something to eat on the whale watching trip.

Also for info most helos have max of 6 so your group will be between two helos and who sits where is decided at time of flight by pilot and staff and unless very close in weight will be in the same seats outbound and inbound. Maybe I read it wrong and only 6 going and not mom & dad and then it will be one.

sightcrr

Thank you for the information however I am well aware of the size of the helicopters. I am also aware of weight distribution. No where have I ever said we would need two or need to share. Our group is made up of six people: me, DH and our 4 young grandchildren. I have also discussed weight with Coastal. Since DH is the heaviest, but we are the only passengers, they will put him in the biggest seat and the rest of us will also sit where we want.

Since we are the only ones on this flight they have agreed to customize it for us and drop us off at an alternate location.

How are you getting off the glacier? The helo is going to return to base and I highly doubt that it will drop you off at the fishing excursion. From there I suspect that you will get a car/van ride to H&M. For more ideas of what is in store view some youtube videos and use Mendenhall helo as search. It really is a great experience. It goes so quick you won't have time to notice how cold you are and can warm up on the boat ride.

sightcrr

I thought we would take the helicopter off the glacier. Unless you were on the phone with me and receiving copies of my emails then you are very wrong. You can suspect all you want but those are the written agreements I have made directly with Coastal and H&M. Again, since we won't be returning to the base we will also be using the hand warmers on the boat.

Watching youtube videos of what others did is unnecessary. We have customized the trip for our situation.

I have paid in full so there is no guessing of what they will or won't do. It is a written contract sealed with my payment.

Geese, people. All I did was ask about the boots and how they would work with foot warmers. I was also just wondering about carrying stuff. I asked for no other advise. My plans are all set after I asked plenty of questions on the phone and in writing.

Sorry I tried to help. Hope you have a great trip and it sounds like you will.

Take Care

sightcrr

Apology accepted. That fact that you did apologize is credit to you. Pat yourself on the back. No really. I can't get through the computer screen so do it for me. :D

The fact that people on CC make the situations where a simple comment like yours (and mine) end up being defended... on both our ends.... is what is really bad. Kudos to you.

I, along with others, always appreciate when the "been there, done that people" offer advise and experience. It is actually one of the things I truly love about CC. Sometime we misread things and then our answer ends up like yours. Unwanted advise to me. I'm sure your information will help someone though. I guess if you hadn't quoted me then I wouldn't have responded the way I did. So my apologies right back to you.

I have been attacked my fair share on CC for things I thought were totally helpful and innocent so wipe your tears, blow your nose and get right back out there and get back to offering advise.

Budget Queen who is usually very knowledgeable and spot on also made an incorrect assumption on who I was using and what research and information I had.

Again, while your information wasn't helpful to me I am sure there is someone out there going - it holds HOW many?

I am going with Coastal. I have never said TEMSCO. I have also talked with them and had it in writing. There was no gray area. I could NOT take a back pack or any other thing that was not attached to their body (or carried). No matter how many times others tell me, that is what they said to me in writing.

We are doing the dog sledding then we are doing the second landing where we were assured the kids will be able to play in the snow.

Because of time constraints they have agreed to fly us directly to H&Ms and drop us all right there at their front door. No going back to base and then driving.

They have even agreed to call them when we are on our way so they can order pizza for us so the kids have something to eat on the whale watching trip.

Well you state "Mendenhall" Coastal does NOT go there, TEMSCO does.

THEN you will be complying with the the restrictions.

Budget Queen who is usually very knowledgeable and spot on also made an incorrect assumption on who I was using and what research and information I had.

?

I made no "incorrect" assumption. You have wrong information. For facts, as I state above, TEMSCO goes to Mendenhall, Coastal does NOT.

You have your information. it's now up to you to comply with it. Have a nice trip, it's a spectacular choice. :)