Assigned boarding times

Bonnie J.

I know how it is supposed to work but...................

I was hoping to find out from someone who has had this what it was like. When did they get to the port? Did they get right into the port if they came by car? What did people with early flights do if they couldn't board yet? Could they board or did they have to wait? If so, how long? Where they aware of how it worked before getting to the port? Who looked to see what time they could board? Were they happy boarding this way? Why or why not?

We just sailed on the Splendor July 2-10. We arrived at the port of Miami by car service at our assigned check in time of 11:30 and were allowed right in. Everything went incredibly smooth and fast and we were sitting at a table at the lido buffet in 25 minutes. However, there was a LONG line outside the terminal of people who arrived too early and had to wait for their assigned check in time before being allowed in out of the heat. I love the assigned check in times. It definitely was our smoothest embarkation yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi,

There are assigned "check in "times. These are not "boarding" times but just the hour you are allowed into the terminal to check in. Then you are given a group number and you wait to board the ship. The time you actually board will depend on when the ship is cleared and ready and how many other groups are before you.

This is your third thread on this topic and you're still calling it boarding time. Its not. Its check in time. That is, the time you can enter the terminal to check in. They are (apparently, we do this for the first time in Jan for Dream, so I've been reading the numerous threads on this topic) checking your boarding pass when you try to enter the terminal and if you're there before your check in window you aren't allowed in. If you have an early flight but a late check in time, and you show up at the terminal before your check in slot, you will be denied enter to the terminal.

You can keep asking, but the answer is the same. If you show up at the terminal before your selected check in window, you'll be waiting outside of the terminal building. And they are strictly enforcing it.

It is not "assigned boarding time". It is "staggered check-in". Not the same thing. You may be checked in but not yet able to board if you have one of the earliest check in windows and the ship has not yet been cleared for boarding.You have gotten numerous replies to this question both times you posted it under the "ask a cruise question" board. I have also tried explaining it on our November 6 Carnival Sunshine roll call. There is also a thread here on the Carnival board currently where the system has been explained in detail.

If you are platinum, diamond or have Faster To The Fun and you are embarking from a port that has staggered check-in, they still ask you to select a check-in window, but you may arrive whenever you wish. If you do not have any of the above, then you must select a 30 minute check-in window. You may arrive after your check-in window, but not before. If you do, you will not be permitted to enter the terminal, regardless of the reason for your early arrival.

Everything I have read on CC from those that have experienced staggered check-in has been very positive. Much quicker process with fewer people inside the terminals.

Edited by cruzeluver
spelling

The only exception not listed above is those arriving on Carnival Transfers may enter the terminal regardless of selected check in time. And, yes they are enforcing this one even as people are pulling out every sob story in the book to get inside the terminal.

I finally got the answer I needed! I thought you could check in then wait for your boarding time. Now I know you can't even get into the port until 'your time'! Should be interesting in Charleston. Will they let you park your car whenever you get there?

Your check in window is the time when you can enter the terminal building. Nothing to do with parking or entering the port complex. You can arrive and park when you wish. But you will not be allowed into the terminal building until the start of your window.

Clarification.....so with FTTF they allow you into the TERMINAL earlier than your chosen check in time? I'm confused since I assume the terminal is run by the Port of Miami not Carnival so they wouldn't accept or honor FTTF?

Clarification.....so with FTTF they allow you into the TERMINAL earlier than your chosen check in time? I'm confused since I assume the terminal is run by the Port of Miami not Carnival so they wouldn't accept or honor FTTF?

I'm wondering the same thing. I have FTTF for the 1st time in Jan.2017. I was hoping I could go earlier. I never selected a check in time but after I purchased FTTF my docs show 12:30 pm? If that's the time I have to check in, then it kind of defeats part of the reason I purchased it in the first place.

I'm wondering the same thing. I have FTTF for the 1st time in Jan.2017. I was hoping I could go earlier. I never selected a check in time but after I purchased FTTF my docs show 12:30 pm? If that's the time I have to check in, then it kind of defeats part of the reason I purchased it in the first place.

As already posted many times (here and in the many similar threads) if you purchased FTTF, you can check-in at whatever time you wish.

Everyone at staggered check-in boarding ports has to have an assigned check-in time. It seems one was assigned to you (probably because you never chose your own). Just disregard it and go whenever you wish with FTTF.

What happens if you have a check-in time from 10:30 to 11:00 and you arrive at the terminal later than 11:00. When will you be able to check-in?

hi there

You would be allowed to "check in" when you arrive if after your check in time. Remember this would not change your boarding time. If there is a line, you would get in line.

If you have a FTTF, or are diamond/platinum, or suite passenger, you would be allowed to check in whenever you arrived at the terminal and board immediately, if boarding has started.

If you don't have one of these above benefits and you would prefer not to wait around a lot, getting a check in time after 1 p.m. would be quickest. By then the lines have thinned somewhat and by the time you board the ship your cabin should be ready so you don't have lug around your carry on.

smooth sailing to everyone

What happens if you have a check-in time from 10:30 to 11:00 and you arrive at the terminal later than 11:00. When will you be able to check-in?

if its later than your check in, you can go to the terminal. they will let you check in. they only stop you if its earlier than your check in time

Yes, you can enter the terminal with FTTF. The port employees are not Carnival employees but they know that if you have the FTTF symbol on your boarding documents to let you in.

However, while this is essentially correct, it is not always the case. Back in June we had a cruise out of Miami with and chose a check in of 10:30. Our friends booked a little later, and chose 11:00 (since that was the earliest time still left). We arrived together at 10:35, but while we were let right in, the security person would NOT let our friends in - nor would she call her superior as we politely asked her to do. Our friends told us to go ahead, and they joined us in the Captain's Lounge about 20 minutes later.

It was no big deal. They were still able to board with us, so they did not complain. I have to wonder, however, what they would have done if they had chosen a 1:30 or 2:00 time.

You pick your check in time when you book your cruise.

Or any time after that if you cannot figure it out at the moment when you are booking.

I think they should make the checkin times available after final payment due date. This way more ppl will have greater access to a variety of check in times.

Does this apply to the ports that have the airport checkin counters as well?

However, while this is essentially correct, it is not always the case. Back in June we had a cruise out of Miami with and chose a check in of 10:30. Our friends booked a little later, and chose 11:00 (since that was the earliest time still left). We arrived together at 10:35, but while we were let right in, the security person would NOT let our friends in - nor would she call her superior as we politely asked her to do. Our friends told us to go ahead, and they joined us in the Captain's Lounge about 20 minutes later.

It was no big deal. They were still able to board with us, so they did not complain. I have to wonder, however, what they would have done if they had chosen a 1:30 or 2:00 time.

Your friends would not have been able to check in until 1:30 or 2:00. You would have had the option of waiting to check in with them, waiting in the terminal for them to check in or meet them onboard.

Edited by SadieN

I am not understanding what you're saying. Are you saying your friends were denied entry with you even though they had FTTF? If that's the case, someone wasn't doing their job correctly. Documentation will clearly say to pick a time, but if you have FTTF or are priority you are free to come when you'd like.