Rotterdam Norse Legends Cruise: Review and Info

vagporto

More than one month has passed since I returned from the Norse Legends HAL Rotterdam cruise to the norwegian fjords (4-11th June 2016); work schedule has not given me much opportunity to write this sooner, but I wanted anyway to share my impressions. Long story short: everything was perfect (well, almost) and I loved every minute...

I have also started my own Photo Blog (https://vagporto.wordpress.com - link also at my signature) in which I posted many photos and additional information about this cruise (PDFs of daily OnLocation and Menus), and I intend to also post there photos from older trips (as time allows...).

Now the review...

The Ship:

HAL Rotterdam is a ship with the perfect size to do this itinerary. The bow was open at least three days (the two fjord scenic cruisings and while sailing out of Bergen) and I believe that the lookout balcony on deck 6 was always open (and always freezing windy). The sheltered aft sections on decks 2 and 3 are perfect for scenic cruising. Overall the condition of the ship was excellent (yes, you see some rust here and there but please give some slack to a 20 years old ship): I did not suffer nor hear complaints about AC, plumbing or service (party of 4 with two mid-ship insides on deck 3). Laundry rooms are still available on few decks (see posted photo on Blog). Furniture, upholstery and carpets on public spaces were in very good condition (I assume that the majority were renovated in a recent dry dock). Comparing with the sister ship Volendam, I missed the wraparound platform overlooking the aft pool (the Rotterdam has a metal canopy that partially covers the retreat bar and an unused giant screen that blocks the passage from one side of the ship to the other); I also thought that the sand-tone finishing of the promenade deck floor and chairs was less elegant than the shining caramel varnish used in the Volendam (maybe this change is only temporary). On the other hand, I really liked the huge clock tower in the atrium when compared to the colored glass structure in the Volendam. I also got the impression that the art pieces on the Rotterdam surpassed the ones on Volendam (for example the large painting along the Explorers Lounge wall was much better executed than the Volendam counterpart). The larger number of Lanai cabins (again, compared to Volendam) restricted the number of available deck chairs on the wraparound promenade; nonetheless, I had no problem in finding a chair when needed (which was not often given the chill temperatures while sailing).

Fellow passengers:

Overall, the demographic of this cruise seemed older than what I experienced in Alaska, but all passengers were very active and the wraparound promenade was well used by many power walkers. The MS Rotterdam sailings out of Rotterdam are traditionally a first choice for dutch guests (since Rotterdam is the home port and headquarters of the centenary Holland America Line); many of these guests come from local travel agencies in large organized groups; for this reason, almost 90% of passengers are dutch, the cruise director and cruise host were dutch, and all announcements are made in both english and dutch. The double language repetition of all announcements (and introductions to the shows and so on...) was not annoying for us; on the other hand I was disappointed that no dutch influences occurred in the food (or maybe I was unaware). The large groups blocked one side of the Crow's Nest during short periods during the sea days. Dutch guests lended some formality to the dress code, although tuxedos were a rarity during Gala Nights. On the other hand it is true that the dutch like to linger on the Lido, and they do enjoy to move around the promenade deck loungers (which makes the promenade walks more similar to a flat slalom run; my portuguese nature caused me to have no problem with both of these habits).

Food:

The food was very good to excellent in all venues (I did not try the NY Pizza). The Lido is now under the new Market concept, which I think helps with the people flow. Finding a seat in the Lido was more difficult than in my previous HAL cruise, since the guests were lingering a bit longer than usual. Service in the MDR was excellent (we had As-You-Wish open dining, but managed to maintain the same table for most of the days). Service was fast, and plates were served hot, well presented and flavourful.

Entertainment:

Entertainment was a mixed bag. On one hand, the quality of the ship music groups was very good. The BB King Club Band (featuring Tempest as vocalist) played in the Crow's Nest in 6 of the 7 nights, and they were better than my most optimistic expectations. I read some comments in CC about this Tempest being the best BBKing vocalist, and the comments are indeed true. On two of the nights the dance floor was crowded well past midnight (yes, this did happen at an Holland America ship !!!). The Adagio duo was also extremely good, playing a mix of classical and traditional pieces with occasional Piazzola and other modern composers (I am sorry for not remembering the names of the pianist and violinist). The piano man was Striker which I understand is a favorite of CCs, and although I am not a fan of piano bars, I acknowledge his craft and he packed the bar every night with enthusiastic followers. The Band played soft jazz and some ballroom music in the Oceans Bar and although they were very competent they had a very low-effort attitude that transpired in their boring playing (and only once I saw one couple dancing to the boring score - Cunarders beware: no dancing aboard). However, I have to admit that the Band shined when playing live in one of the production shows. The HAL singers and dancers put together two very good productions. Altogether, the regular ship entertainment was well above what I experienced in the Volendam (with the exception of the wonderful Neptunes trio of the Volendam which I truly missed).

On the other hand, the special entertainment (crooner vocalist Paul Emmanuel, comedian Kevin Devane, virtuoso pianist Hyperion Knight, and a show combining the latter two that I did not attend) was appalling in my opinion (and that of many passengers that I saw leaving the room halfway through their shows).

Itinerary:

The itinerary was beautiful and relaxing: Eidfjord is a peaceful village at the end of a beautiful fjord; in Alesund we rented a car and drove to the beautiful islands of Giske and Godoy; Geiranger is beyond words and the sailing out is a 3 hours non-stop show of incredible scenery; Bergen is a city with multiple attractions and easy to explore. We were blessed with blue skies in most places (exception of Alesund which only added to the gloomy atmosphere at the remote lighthouse of Alnes). At this time of the year there was still some snow at the mountain tops. I think that a norwegian cruise has more similarities than differences when compared to an Alaska cruise. In my opinion, cruising one of these fjords does not have the majesty of cruising Glaciar Bay NP (and do not expect seaside glaciars or abundant wildlife) but the continuous postcard-ready scenic vistas from the ship were overall as good or better than those seen in Alaska. And for me, enjoying the scenery from the promenade deck is more important than the quality of the ports or the variety of shore excursions.

Final thoughts:

If you have already enjoyed several Alaska cruises, you need to experience a norwegian cruise... For me (living in Europe) I was very glad to realize that a norwegian cruise easily holds its ground to an Alaska cruise and that I don't need to cross the world and spend a fortune to repeat an exquisite scenic cruising.

One of the reasons for booking this cruise with Holland-America was to have a second experience with HAL. After a great first cruise with them, followed by a fantastic one with Cunard, I wanted to repeat HAL and check for brand consistency and compare with Cunard. Both lines have the same feeling of tranquility that I appreciate in a cruise (don't get me started about MSC...). I think that most HAL guests will feel at home at Cunard, and vice-versa. However, I must admit that the food in the Cunard Queen Victoria MDR was slightly better prepared and presented with a wider selection of appealing appetizers and deserts than in Holland America. I could not find any food on the Lido after midnight (not even the platter of cookies that were always available in the Volendam).

Overall, this experience confirmed to me that HAL ships have a wonderful and relaxing atmosphere. Now I know for sure that I will not hesitate in booking a HAL cruise in the future.

Thank you for your review. I'm especially appreciative that you mentioned who the various entertainers were.

Isn't Norway beautiful! I can never get enough of sailing her waters.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for your comment... However I must say that I am ashamed of not noting down their names and therefore being unable to pay the well deserved "hommage" to the wonderful Adagio players. The violin player had a beard and the piano player resembled very much Joe Bastianich. Any idea of their names?

Edited by vagporto

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for your comment... However I must say that I am ashamed of not noting down their names and therefore being unable to pay the well deserved "hommage" to the wonderful Adagio players. The violin player had a beard and the piano player resembled very much Joe Bastianich. Any idea of their names?

Sorry, no. :o I do try to keep track of the piano players' names, as well as the headliner entertainers, but I've never been able to keep track of the names in Adagio, or the individual musicians in Neptunes/HALCats/The Band.

• 1 year later...
I know but the itinerary is the same and I presume the formal night will be the same. ;)

Typically gala nights will be the evenings on the earlier and later "at sea" days, or when there is an early port departure day. But not the night before you disembark. How does that work out with your itinerary?

This is my cruise:

Sat rotterdam dep. 5pm

Sun. At sea and I presume the first formal night

Mon eldfjord arrive at 7am dep. 3pm

Tue alesund a. 7am dep. 11pm

Wed geiranger a. 7 dep. 5pm

Thu bergen a. 8am dep. 5 pm

Fri at sea

Sat rotterdam

I presume the second formal night will be on Thursday....

This is my cruise:

Sat rotterdam dep. 5pm

Sun. At sea and I presume the first formal night

Mon eldfjord arrive at 7am dep. 3pm

Tue alesund a. 7am dep. 11pm

Wed geiranger a. 7 dep. 5pm

Thu bergen a. 8am dep. 5 pm

Fri at sea

Sat rotterdam

I presume the second formal night will be on Thursday....

Thanks for providing the itinerary - the first formal night could also be Monday, when you have an early 3pm departure.