Part-2 Ports Review - Foodsponge Fullpants May-11 Infinity Pacific-Coastal

greydog

Review of 1st 3 Ports

We arrived late the night before sailing from San Diego, so we had no pre-sail activities this trip. On a prior cruise from San Diego we drove a rental car to Borrego Springs for a sightseeing day trip. The change in scenery from city coast, through mountains, down to desert was interesting.

SANTA BARBARA (pop. 421,000) – Day 2

Infinity tendered to Stearns Wharf which was built in 1872. It is credited with being the oldest working wharf in CA. SB was a Spanish possession until 1822, territory of Mexico until 1846 when Colonel Fremont’s forces took it over for the U.S. Reportedly 16 shells were fired into SB during WW II causing no casualties but damaging a few outbuildings.

We visited with local friends in SB so there is no firsthand feedback on excursions. Quite a few members on our cruise roll call organized some winery tours. I did hear a number of reports about these winery tours – there was a general consensus that the best wineries visited were those offering the most generous free samples.

One can imagine those with elevated interest in wineries might have “I enjoy long romantic walks down the wine aisle.” in their dating profile. W.C. Fields would be a kindred spirit: “I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

A lot of homeless street people loitered around the shopping district. I wondered if their plight was associated with the observation “All the good jobs start before I get up in the morning.” It’s questionable to be judgmental about the street people – I mean if any of us were to walk a mile in their shoes, would we end up in a liquor store?

In early evening some enterprising ‘urban outdoorsmen’ set up their coin traps alongside the pier where the tourists and cruisers pass by. These are bull’s-eye and similar targets constructed in the beach sand to entice tourists to throw coins as a skill challenge.

The most engaging coin toss event consisted of 3-4 salvaged fishing rods planted in the sand. Each rod’s tip had a line with a plastic cup dangling at the end. The cup ‘lures’ wavered in the breeze – a tantalizing ‘moving target’ triggering anyone’s inner child to reach for coins to throw. As Walt Disney said, “That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up.”

Tips while touring

If you see a woman wearing a sweatshirt with ‘Guess’ on it, and you are a gentleman, the answer ‘Implants?’ should be avoided. Of course, that’s if you define a gentleman as one who is never rude unintentionally.

Riedel comparative wine pairing onboard event

A wine glass is a lie you tell yourself even though you know you’ll drink the whole bottle.

MONTEREY (pop. 91,000) – Day 3

Monterey is another tender port. There were some sea otters and porpoise often in view during the 10 min. tender ride. R.L. Stevenson lived in Monterey when he started writing Treasure Island.

The best known attraction is the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which we visited on a prior trip. Its mission is “To create a future with a healthy ocean, we study top ocean predators, work with government agencies here and abroad to advance ocean conservation, and use the power of the marketplace to shift seafood production in sustainable directions.” Admission is $50 for adults.

Monterey is on the 29-mile-long Coastal Recreation Trail which ends a few miles to the south at Pacific Grove township. Pacific Grove is predominantly residential and until 1969, the last dry town in CA. We walked 3.5 miles south on this shore-edge walkway, with near views of basking sea lions.

We enjoyed the seafood chowder at the Point Pinos Grill in the Pac Grove municipal golf club house before circling back. Later I found that TripAdvisor rated this Grill as 4-stars - one review summarized “Limited menu, great food and drink, in beautiful setting”.

SAN FRANCISCO (pop. approx. 900,000) docked, Day 4 overnight, depart Day 5 5pm

Wikipedia describes SF, founded in 1776 by Spanish colonists, as “A popular tourist destination, San Francisco is known for its cool summers, fog, steep rolling hills, eclectic mix of architecture, and landmarks, including the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, the former Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, Fisherman's Wharf, and its Chinatown district.”

No point in me describing SF when I can turn to Billy Graham or Nikita Khrushchev.

The Bay Area is so beautiful, I hesitate to preach about heaven while I’m here. (Billy Graham)

Of all cities in the United States I have seen, San Francisco is the most beautiful. (Nikita Khrushchev)

The number one visitor destination is Alcatraz Island Prison – Celebrity’s excursions to visit there were sold out online pre-cruise. We had completed a 6 mile walking tour of the major SF neighborhoods on a visit the year prior so we wanted to visit Sausalito and Muir Woods this trip.

SAUSALITO ( pop. 8,000 ) on our first day docked in SF. The city was bustling with tourists along the Embarcadero on this mild but overcast day.

Pier 41 was about a half mile from the Celebrity dock. The Blue and Gold Ferry left for Sausalito as early as around 11am on this Saturday, returning as late as 6:30? Later return via bus over the GG-bridge was possible. Tickets were about $12-15 each roundtrip for the 25 min trip with senior discount offered.

Arriving in Sausalito around 11:30am, we headed to lunch first ahead of our planned visit to Muir Woods National Monument (redwoods sanctuary). We ate at the Barrel House Tavern harborside that was only 300 ft. from the ferry pier.

The Barrel House Tavern was 4.5-stars on Tripadvisor and even by 11:30am all tables were filled. Its building was the original terminal for the first ferry connecting to San Francisco, before the Golden Gate Bridge was built. Sausalito was reputed to be a center for bootlegging during Prohibition.

There’s a Visitor Center near the ferry parking lot and we got info on catching the shuttle bus to Muir Woods, $5 roundtrip fare, 30-min ride (no onboard restroom). The bus is express and avoids the half-mile walk from overflow street-shoulder parking at Muir Woods. On arrival, the entry fee is $10 each plus bus fare. Your receipt is used for return bus boarding.

The total for two adults including roundtrip bus is $30. However, if over 62 you can buy a lifetime U.S. National Park Pass for $10 per couple/family. Our $10 pass purchase also covered the bus trip, so our transport and visit totaled $10 cost.

The Park Service website says “Walk among old growth coast redwoods, cooling their roots in the fresh water of Redwood Creek and lifting their crowns to reach the sun and fog. Federally protected as a National Monument since 1908, this primeval forest is both refuge and laboratory, revealing our relationship with the living landscape.” I guess the NPS is trying to counter the saying “Most people spend less time outside than prisoners.” ― J.R. Rim

The park was very crowded with visitors of all ages. There is a snack bar and restrooms 100 yards past the Visitor entrance. We did a quick 1 hour + walk around the main trail and headed back to catch a bus just leaving. So far we had had an enjoyable ferry ride, lunch, walk around downtown Sausalito, and visit to Muir Woods.

By the way, from a cruise line’s or hoteliers’ POV, John Muir may not have been very Public Relations savvy from his statement “Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness. All other travel is mere dust and hotels and baggage and chatter.” Muir’s ’without baggage’ mention was prescient, given all the airline fees now. He may have adjusted his opinion if only he had experienced Celebrity’s unlimited alcoholic beverage package.

It was late afternoon when we stopped at the Visitor Info center and found out about a rare Saturday ‘happy hour’ about a ¼ mile away at the marina. We visited the Seafood Peddler restaurant and took advantage of the reduced bar prices to rehydrate from our day. This restaurant is rated 4-stars at TripAdvisor. We returned on the Blue/Gold Ferry and returned to the ship for dinner.

Day 5 San Francisco, 5pm departure.

Walked about a mile mid-Sunday morning from the Embarcadero to Chinatown area. Found Hunan Home’s restaurant on Jackson Street that opened at 11am. We were its earliest customers. TripAdvisor rates it 4-stars but some reviewer comments say it’s not at its best lately. We had a satisfactory meal that I would rate 3.5-4 stars. We walked back to the ship and relaxed until departure.

Day 6 is sea day.

PART-3 Review forthcoming will cover Astoria, Seattle, Nanaimo, Victoria and Vancouver ports.

LINK TO PART-1 REVIEW BELOW

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2371677

Do you recall what pier the ship docked at in San Francisco? Doing the costal on 09/18.

Norma

The Sept 18 cruise will be at Pier 35 per the Port of SF 2016 cruise schedule. Crown Princess will be at Pier 27.