Star Princess Hawai'i trip

Jackytar

I would welcome feedback from those who've been on the 15-day Vancouver BC - Hawai'i - Vancouver BC itinerary before, regarding formal dining - what's expected? My only previous cruising experience was 2 years ago on QM2, New York - Southampton, for which I wore mess uniform. I also have a query in to Princess to ask if mess uniform is acceptable for formal nights; my question here is more to find out what people have seen previously being worn on formal nights on this route. Thank you.

I would welcome feedback from those who've been on the 15-day Vancouver BC - Hawai'i - Vancouver BC itinerary before, regarding formal dining - what's expected? My only previous cruising experience was 2 years ago on QM2, New York - Southampton, for which I wore mess uniform. I also have a query in to Princess to ask if mess uniform is acceptable for formal nights; my question here is more to find out what people have seen previously being worn on formal nights on this route. Thank you.

You'll see everything from tuxedos and cocktail dresses on down through slacks, open collar shirt and sport coat with ladies in black slacks and sparkly tops.... Dress uniforms are perfectly great and always look spectacular, so by all means, go for it if you want. You won't be out of place, and will run chive many admiring comments...

We've done the trip three times feom LA, on the Star one of those time. Each time my hubby brings his tuxedo, along woth two other formal suits, while I'm dressed to the nines also...many others do similar...while others opt for more casual but still dressed up...

Have a great cruise - we really love all the sea days for total relaxation and unwinding...

Happy sails....

You'll see everything from tuxedos and cocktail dresses on down through slacks, open collar shirt and sport coat with ladies in black slacks and sparkly tops.... Dress uniforms are perfectly great and always look spectacular, so by all means, go for it if you want. You won't be out of place, and will run chive many admiring comments...

We've done the trip three times feom LA, on the Star one of those time. Each time my hubby brings his tuxedo, along woth two other formal suits, while I'm dressed to the nines also...many others do similar...while others opt for more casual but still dressed up...

Have a great cruise - we really love all the sea days for total relaxation and unwinding...

Happy sails....

Thanks very much. I've been to Pearl Harbour many, many times, through the good offices of the RCN; the drawback was always that command would never authorize leave off the big island, so I've never been to any other part of Hawai'i. I'm very much looking forward to this. As for the at-sea days, I enjoyed them when Herself and I took the QM2 from New York to Southampton a couple of years ago, and I admit I enjoyed turning heads when we entered the MDR on formal nights. Mess uniform *does* look spiffy and I like having occasions to trot it out. :)

Edited by Jackytar

Happy sails....

............................ Mess uniform *does* look spiffy and I like having occasions to trot it out.

We've done the Hawaii round trip twice in the last three years, once on the Star from LA and once on the Ruby from LA. Agree entirely with the dress on formal nights. The uniform will look great and fit right in. Enjoy the cruise, we love Hawaii.

Edited by ar1950

Mess uniform *does* look spiffy and I like having occasions to trot it out. :)

As a Navy Brat born and raised within spitting distance of CFB Esquimalt I STILL think nothing looks as good as man in his mess uniform! Love to see it.

Which sailing date are you looking to do?

No problem with the dress uniform, it will fit right in. Most men will be in some sort jacket and tie from formal tux, suit, or sport jacket an tie.

One other thing regarding dress. Formal wear, as described above, is only designated for the evening in the three DR's. The specialty restaurants, Crown Grill and Sabatini's are smart casual every evening, but on formal nights you will find some passengers dressed formally in these restaurants. All other areas of the ship are casual. You will see a mix of dress around the ship. Formal dress is not ship wide.

Wondering if you are a currently serving member of the Canadian Armed Forces or on retired status ? Retired CAF members require specific, direct and written permission of the CDS in order to wear their uniform for EACH occasion. See

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/faq/index-eng.asp?cat=dress&FaqID=124#ans-rep .

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through, just to look "tiddley" for a cruise ship formal night ! :D

...VTX-Al (retired RCN/CAF)

As a Navy Brat born and raised within spitting distance of CFB Esquimalt I STILL think nothing looks as good as man in his mess uniform! Love to see it.

Which sailing date are you looking to do?

Sept 23 - Oct 8, 2017.

Wondering if you are a currently serving member of the Canadian Armed Forces or on retired status ? Retired CAF members require specific, direct and written permission of the CDS in order to wear their uniform for EACH occasion. See

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/faq/index-eng.asp?cat=dress&FaqID=124#ans-rep .

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through, just to look "tiddley" for a cruise ship formal night ! :D

...VTX-Al (retired RCN/CAF)

Yep, still in. Currently posted to CFFSE - 'scuse me, not any more; to the Naval Training Development Center (Pacific), now that they've re-structured naval training here and in Slackers. Just about to head off to Saint Jean as an instructor at recruit school there. I wore my mess kit on the QM2 two years ago after double-checking with the Base Chief's office and getting a thumbs-up. :) The way I see it, I already have perfectly good formal attire; why rent a tux? That said, yes - once I retire, if I'm still cruising, I'll get a tux and check with the guidance on the DHH website for occasions to wear miniatures. Probably not on a cruise, but def. Battle of the Atlantic Sundays and Remembrance Day parades. Other than that... gonna sit on the front porch of the old C&POs' home, glare at the youngsters and yell at 'em to get their damned hands out of their pockets. :D

What trade were you? I'm an ETECH, at least until the not-amalgamation takes place and the Green Empire takes over the stoker and HT world :)

Edited by Jackytar

Sept 23 - Oct 8, 2017.

Yep, still in. Currently posted to CFFSE - 'scuse me, not any more; to the Naval Training Development Center (Pacific), now that they've re-structured naval training here and in Slackers. Just about to head off to Saint Jean as an instructor at recruit school there. I wore my mess kit on the QM2 two years ago after double-checking with the Base Chief's office and getting a thumbs-up. :) The way I see it, I already have perfectly good formal attire; why rent a tux? That said, yes - once I retire, if I'm still cruising, I'll get a tux and check with the guidance on the DHH website for occasions to wear miniatures. Probably not on a cruise, but def. Battle of the Atlantic Sundays and Remembrance Day parades. Other than that... gonna sit on the front porch of the old C&POs' home, glare at the youngsters and yell at 'em to get their damned hands out of their pockets. :D

What trade were you? I'm an ETECH, at least until the not-amalgamation takes place and the Green Empire takes over the stoker and HT world :)

Did you submit the form for military OBC to Princess?:)

Sept 23 - Oct 8, 2017.

Well then IMHO just go ahead and wear your mess kit in the MDR on formal nights (I know I would, if I could) and, I daresay, you will probably be better dressed than 90% of the other males there. :cool:

...VTX-Al

Did 20 years, Radioman Special 291, then Rad Tech 221. Did my sea time on the east coast, HMCS Crescent and HMCS Bonaventure Incidentally, our last cruise was the same 15 day-er Van/Hawaii/Van on Grand Princess - if you like sea-days you will love it !! Edited by VTX-AL

Hello.... I did the Star to Hawaii cruise in Oct. 2015 and when formal nights were held, pretty much most of the men wore suit and tie.. there were a few tuxes, but only a handfull.

Your uniform will be perfect.

There were also some men who wore the Scottish kilt... looked great.

I will be on the Star again in Sept. out of Vancouver to Hawaii..... looking forward to it.

Happy cruising!:):)

defintely you'll see kilts and other versions of formal wear. When we were waiting to enter the dining room on our last cruise (which was our third Hawaiian RT from LA), we saw a man in a kilt. We told him our daughter was (at the time) in a kilted marching band and he agreed to take a photo with her.

PC250117_zpsf9fcf9b2.jpg

It sure is. Have seen a number times on different princess ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums