Dining time question

pinkgiraffe

this is an issue, or at least it used to be.

When you have assigned dining time, like 6pm, then everyone at that table is supposed to be there at 6pm so service can start. The food all comes out together that way.

My last cruise, we ran into this problem. Our table sat 10 people, all couples who had never met. At 6pm we were there as well as one other couple. Then maybe one of the other couples would show up, or two, maybe not. The waiters get run around like crazy as it is... but every night they would be serving us our appetizer when another couple would show up, the waiter would have to take their order, then another couple would wander in. By then we were getting our main course, the other couples might be waiting on an appetizer as the dining room was now packed and busy.

I saw some people get turned away at the door, as the next group all had the tables reserved at 7:30pm and there was not enough time for them to get full service. It was close to 7pm as I recall. They were po'ed, but the matre'd told them the buffet was open.

Just sayin'.... my 2 cents. Edited by ABQrobin

[quote name='1025cruise']If you have assigned dining and your dining time is at 6:00, you should plan to be there at 6:00.[/QUOTE]

IF you don't feel as though you can make your scheduled time, select anytime dining and that way you don't have the stress. Now, with that said, the waitstaff's time is just as important as yours and as such should be respected and not made to wait for you. To arrive late is not just rude, but selfish as well. But, as I said, Carnival has solved that potential issue by creating ANYTIME dining.

[quote name='1025cruise']If you have assigned dining and your dining time is at 6:00, you should plan to be there at 6:00.[/QUOTE]
Not only is it a curtesy to your dining companions but to your wait staff, kitchen staff and the next group of guests. I understand the concern of having to be somewhere on time when on vacation. Maybe YTD would work better?

And yes I have seen people turned away. I asked later what was said to them and the hostess said she just tells them " I am so sorry service has begun and we can't possibly catch you up"

I'm pretty sure the Funtimes says early dinner 6:00-6:15 and late dining is 8:00-8:15. We love YTD, don't worry about time or waiting in line. Eat later on shore days, earlier on sea days, it's the best way to go.

My recommendation to prevent any issues is to do YTD!! We do this and love it however I will admit it is like most other things in life there are pros and cons!! Have a great cruise!! Edited by Ruby0704

[quote name='coevan']I'm pretty sure the Funtimes says early dinner 6:00-6:15 and late dining is 8:00-8:15. We love YTD, don't worry about time or waiting in line. Eat later on shore days, earlier on sea days, it's the best way to go.[/QUOTE]

No...Early Seating is 6pm and Late is 8:15.

From Carnival's FAQ's:

Guests may choose Early dining at 6:00pm (5:30pm for Alaska cruises), Late dining at 8:15pm (7:45pm for Alaska cruises) or 'Your Time' open seating, between 5:45pm and 9:30pm (between 5:15pm and 9:00pm for Alaska cruises).

To the OP: It would be quite rude to show up 15+ minutes late.

As already mentioned, the servers have a routine. It louses it up for everyone when people show up so late.

Just got off the Paradise we had early dining and there were 2 nights where we weren't able to get to the MDR until 6:30pm. We weren't turned away but we were also at a 2 person table every night which I think makes a difference.

Hi Pinkgiraffe, try not to take offense to the abrasive nature of some of these responses, but this is a commonly discussed issue on the boards. Those who cruise often understand that 6:15 is the cutoff time. As others have posted, anything later than 6:10 and I head right to the Lido buffet.

People consider coming in later than that rude because the servers are a well oiled machine. They take all drink and app orders and deliver, then move onto entrees. Coming in past 6:15 makes them have to go back into drink and app phase and start the process all over for you while working on another phase of the process for everyone else and this really breaks down the system.

Carnival is much more serious about pleasing the customer than in days past and no longer shuts the doors at 6:15.

[quote name='Rh2458']IF you don't feel as though you can make your scheduled time, select anytime dining and that way you don't have the stress. Now, with that said, the waitstaff's time is just as important as yours and as such should be respected and not made to wait for you. To arrive late is not just rude, but selfish as well. But, as I said, Carnival has solved that potential issue by creating ANYTIME dining.[/QUOTE]

I agree. My husband (bless his heart) is late for EVERYTHING. While I would have liked early dining, I went ahead and chose YTD because I don't want to be that couple holding up dinner or be stressed out because he's running late AGAIN.

[quote name='Sugaree5335']I agree. My husband (bless his heart) is late for EVERYTHING. While I would have liked early dining, I went ahead and chose YTD because I don't want to be that couple holding up dinner or be stressed out because he's running late AGAIN.[/QUOTE]

LOL, my wife tells her brother that family events are one hour earlier than they actually are and he has never figured it out because he is always that late.

[QUOTE]If you have assigned 6pm dining..be there by 6pm...otherwise, you're rude and insensitive...you know what time your meal is....show up then!!![/QUOTE]

I am so over your nonsensical posts. They have been allowed for years on here. You are always either being rude to people or not directly answering their questions.

The OP only has nine posts on CC which leads me to think they may be new to cruising. So its a fair question. He/she may not be aware that they may be sat with others or the impact that being late has to wait staff. Get over yourself!

To the OP : As others have suggested "Your Time Dining" may be a better option for you if available so you are not tied to a specific time. If that option is not available, and it looks like you cannot make your fixed seating time, it might be better to dine elsewhere (lido, specialty restaurant etc.)Have a great cruise!

[quote name='asalligo']LOL, my wife tells her brother that family events are one hour earlier than they actually are and he has never figured it out because he is always that late.[/QUOTE]

I may have done the same thing a time or two. Maybe not a full hour, but at least twenty minutes.

When we have set dining with others we tell them the first night that our intentions are to eat in the MDR each evening but that things could change and if we aren't there by five minutes past seating time to assume we aren't coming, and that we will do the same for them. It's usually well received and if anyone already has steakhouse reservations or other nights they know they won't be there they usually share that with the table at that time.