First Cruise Carnival Freedom Review

Kevin308

Yesterday I got off the Carnival Freedom sailing from the July 9-16 from Galveston to Cozumel, Belize and Rotan. I was celebrating my 20th anniversary with my wife on this trip a Vacation away from the kids. There were some bumps along the way but we had a great time.

Embarkation was a breeze and FTTF really paid off for us. We had a 10am check in time but when we got there the line waiting for the door to open looked about 15 minutes long. Oh and they will check your pass and not let you in that line if it is not your check in time. But with FTTF we got to walk right by that line and go straight in. This was really nice because it was very hot and humid outside.

We walked in the building they scanned our passports and luggage then we waited till about 11:30 when boarding started. We were surprised boarding started so early because the email they sent out said 12:30. We boarded right behind the Gold and Platnium people and went straight to our room.

We had booked a Grand Ocean Scenic View room. I must say the room is amazing the two windows are bigger than they look in the pictures it is like having a Balcony with an AC. We really took advantage of the view over the week. First let down I had paid to have the room decorated for our Anniversary and they were not up. I said ok lets go eat Guys is great and we went back to the room. The Decorations were up by then so I was happy. We then unpacked and explored the ship.

We were unpacked had lunch and were exploring the ship before most people were even on the ship that made FTTF worth the money

Then the day gets crazy.

We had a 5:30 Steakhouse appointment. I wanted to start vacation off with something special. So I wanted to eat while going out to sea. We had the first appointment and for 30 minutes we had the whole steakhouse to ourself..

First let may state I don't dink a lot and I don't know what a good wine taste like. But the free red wine is not drinkable. Take advantage of the half price wine.

The Dinner it's self started great. We ordered I got a Ribeye my wife got surf and turf. They brought out this nice extra to start a complement from the chief my wife got this great tomato soap and I got a one bite hamburger that was awesome. But from there things went down hill. We were about 30 to 40 minutes out into the gulf and the Cruise Director came on the speaker. I passenger was Critically Ill and we had to turn around.

Now let me say I am glad we turned back I would want the same done for me. But I will not lie it ruined the atmosphere you are on vacation and your first though becomes are you going to miss a port. Because nobody wants that to happen. But basically up with us eating the main course in port. Which made me wonder at the time if that is why I wasn't impressed with the Steak. My wife said the fillet was really good turns out she just doesn't like Lobster that much. First time she had it.

But the staff tried hard after we finished desert they brought out a surprise for our anniversary. They brought us each a glass of Champaigne and another Dessert. It was some sort of custard chessecake prailene dessert. It was really good. I can see how hard they try and make it special in that place.

Now about that steak. I really wondered if it was because of the distraction that the Steak wasn't is good. Latter in the week I would order a steak in the MDR. Here is what I have decided the problem is. The fact is my mom just cooks better steaks. Just the way it is.

Now you would think after the medical evacuation the fun for the night would be over right? NOPE!!! About 9 we were laying in the bed looking at the fun times trying to decide what to do. All of a sudden my wife ask "Why are my feet above my head." My response was the ship is "Listing bad" and then everything on the shelfs comes flying off. My wife tries to stand up and can't stand up straight. The ship straightens out we go to the pool I wanted some pizza and the pool deck is covered in about 2 inchs of water.

What had happened. You knew this wasn't normal because you could see the look of fear and concern on the crews faces. They made an announcement shortly there afterwords that there was a Navigational Error. You think you turn so hard that stuff was flying everywere. Had everyone a bit shaken up.

We decided lets get some sleep and start over in the morning.

More to come.

So the first Sea day. We seem to all be alive :) We were on lido deck so breakfast was a skip away and we really enjoyed the lido breakfast. So what to do. The Cruise director had a show that morning. So we decided to go first cruise we needed to learn the ropes.

Well he did a break down over what would be going on. Explained why we had to Tender in Belize and how we would Zig Zag through the Reef to get there on that day. Which of course led to the question about the night before. Would "Zig Zag be like last night" Funny the look on his face. He made it pretty clear whatever happened on the bridge the night before usually does not happen.

But here is the fun part I won a Free Snorkling Excursion in Belize. Which my wife made me give away for two reasons. One she wanted and we had paid to see the Pyramids and two she is terrified of the water. (Remember Later I told you she was Terrified of the water.

So we spend they day relaxing enjoying or view. Lunch in the Lido is always fun always something to eat. I really like Guys and Love the fries.

That night was our first night in the MDR anytime dinning. I am not going to lie. I have listened to you guys talk about how awesome the Stewards and MDR servers are for years and though you guys were full of it. But I have to tell you the Server was amazing.

The first night was Elgant night and it seemed the whole ship was dressed up. My wife got here hair done in the spa more on that in a latter. But the service was just amazing. The head Waitress was something else. I love "Show Time" They also sang Happy anniversary to us and brought us a little treat. It was really special. We decided to ask for the same server every night and we sat in one of two tables for the whole time. They put us in a Table for 2. But we sort of made friends the next night with another of the tables for two and if we showed up around the same time they remembered that and put us by each other. But they really do they remember what you want to drink. Buy the end of the cruise they would just bring it without asking me. I loved it.

We then went to a show and a comedian which my wife really enjoyed. Carnival left us some goodies in the room for our anniversary a spa coupon for $50 free, a free picture coupon and $25 off a bottle of wine. I really need to send Carnival a thank you letter. Because they gave us a special week.

The next morning before docking in Cozumel we tried breakfast in the MDR. We found the service slow and the food not as good as Lido so we stuck with Lido for breakfast for the rest the cruise.

In Cozumel we did a fun little tour of the Island I enjoyed myself. Cozumel is also were my scared of the water wife started talking about how pretty the water was. We enjoyed the time in port got some good pictures tried some mayan chocolate and got some great pictures.

That night we ate with in the MDR again. Did I menton I loved our waiters? We then went and saw more shows.

Guys the Grand Ocean Scenic View has amazing views days and night. To bad they have so few of them on a ship.

We woke up the next morning close to Belize. Belize is an experience. They do have getting the excerissions of the ship and on to the Tenders down to a science. We went and saw Altun-Ha. Now I wasn't very impressed with the city tour. The Tour guide she was great. I just didn't find Belize City that interesting. But the Ruins. Wow. It is an experience climbing to the top of the pyramid. It was worth the trouble. I want to go back more Pyramids cave tubing and snorkeling?

So more of the MDR and shows that night. Here is the thing I cruise is great we are not big drinker our shoppers. Other than my wife's bingo habit not a lot for us to spend. Which I loved.

Now for what I found funny. In Rotan we decided to go to the beach. My wife the whole time saying she would sit in a chair and relax. First I wish we would have done more than the Beach at the port. Because I had no ideal how pretty that Island was. But we had fun at the beach in port. I was putting on my sun screen and looked up. And scared for the water Wife was in the water up to her sholders! I laughed so hard. We really enjoyed the water and got nice sunburns for our trouble. Now DW wants to go Snorkling........Sure after I give away a free trip! :)

The next two days were relaxing sea days. I found sea days to be very relaxing. We had the time of our life that week and can't wait to go again.

Now Dembarkation. We had a letter in our room telling us since we were coming from Belize that it could take a while. Just like when we got on we decided to carry all of our luggage off. FTTF comes in handy again at 8 we got clearance to get off the ship at 8:15 we were through customs waiting on our ride to pick us up.

Sorry for being long winded.

So the first Sea day. We seem to all be alive :) We were on lido deck so breakfast was a skip away and we really enjoyed the lido breakfast. So what to do. The Cruise director had a show that morning. So we decided to go first cruise we needed to learn the ropes.

Well he did a break down over what would be going on. Explained why we had to Tender in Belize and how we would Zig Zag through the Reef to get there on that day. Which of course led to the question about the night before. Would "Zig Zag be like last night" Funny the look on his face. He made it pretty clear whatever happened on the bridge the night before usually does not happen.

But here is the fun part I won a Free Snorkling Excursion in Belize. Which my wife made me give away for two reasons. One she wanted and we had paid to see the Pyramids and two she is terrified of the water. (Remember Later I told you she was Terrified of the water.

So we spend they day relaxing enjoying or view. Lunch in the Lido is always fun always something to eat. I really like Guys and Love the fries.

That night was our first night in the MDR anytime dinning. I am not going to lie. I have listened to you guys talk about how awesome the Stewards and MDR servers are for years and though you guys were full of it. But I have to tell you the Server was amazing.

The first night was Elgant night and it seemed the whole ship was dressed up. My wife got here hair done in the spa more on that in a latter. But the service was just amazing. The head Waitress was something else. I love "Show Time" They also sang Happy anniversary to us and brought us a little treat. It was really special. We decided to ask for the same server every night and we sat in one of two tables for the whole time. They put us in a Table for 2. But we sort of made friends the next night with another of the tables for two and if we showed up around the same time they remembered that and put us by each other. But they really do they remember what you want to drink. Buy the end of the cruise they would just bring it without asking me. I loved it.

We then went to a show and a comedian which my wife really enjoyed. Carnival left us some goodies in the room for our anniversary a spa coupon for $50 free, a free picture coupon and $25 off a bottle of wine. I really need to send Carnival a thank you letter. Because they gave us a special week.

The next morning before docking in Cozumel we tried breakfast in the MDR. We found the service slow and the food not as good as Lido so we stuck with Lido for breakfast for the rest the cruise.

In Cozumel we did a fun little tour of the Island I enjoyed myself. Cozumel is also were my scared of the water wife started talking about how pretty the water was. We enjoyed the time in port got some good pictures tried some mayan chocolate and got some great pictures.

That night we ate with in the MDR again. Did I menton I loved our waiters? We then went and saw more shows.

Guys the Grand Ocean Scenic View has amazing views days and night. To bad they have so few of them on a ship.

We woke up the next morning close to Belize. Belize is an experience. They do have getting the excerissions of the ship and on to the Tenders down to a science. We went and saw Altun-Ha. Now I wasn't very impressed with the city tour. The Tour guide she was great. I just didn't find Belize City that interesting. But the Ruins. Wow. It is an experience climbing to the top of the pyramid. It was worth the trouble. I want to go back more Pyramids cave tubing and snorkeling?

So more of the MDR and shows that night. Here is the thing I cruise is great we are not big drinker our shoppers. Other than my wife's bingo habit not a lot for us to spend. Which I loved.

Now for what I found funny. In Rotan we decided to go to the beach. My wife the whole time saying she would sit in a chair and relax. First I wish we would have done more than the Beach at the port. Because I had no ideal how pretty that Island was. But we had fun at the beach in port. I was putting on my sun screen and looked up. And scared for the water Wife was in the water up to her sholders! I laughed so hard. We really enjoyed the water and got nice sunburns for our trouble. Now DW wants to go Snorkling........Sure after I give away a free trip! :)

The next two days were relaxing sea days. I found sea days to be very relaxing. We had the time of our life that week and can't wait to go again.

Now Dembarkation. We had a letter in our room telling us since we were coming from Belize that it could take a while. Just like when we got on we decided to carry all of our luggage off. FTTF comes in handy again at 8 we got clearance to get off the ship at 8:15 we were through customs waiting on our ride to pick us up.

One more thing check your sign and sail card. When my wife had her hair done they did not give us credit for having paid for it before we got on the ship. Took them seconds to fix. They also overcharged me at the laundry charged me 3 times for one thing of laundry soap. I let that one go didn't feel like spending my time on it over $3

Sorry for being long winded.

My husband and went on our first cruise for our 20th anniversary. It's the first time we had ever really vacationed more than 2 nights away from the kids. This September we are taking our 3rd 7 night cruise. They are addicting! This is our 25th anniversary and we are sailing on the Freedom. Thanks for the review!

Edited by smyliecruising

Kevin308, welcome to the love/addiction of cruiselife. Hubby and I celebrated our 4th anniversary in 2011 with a cruise. We have now done 12 cruises with 4 more booked between Thanksgiving and our 10 anniversary in September of 2017.

Sounds like you had a great time! My kids and I were also on that cruise. It was the first time since 2007 that we had cruised with Carnival. (Stuck with Disney for awhile as they were younger) We were in the Posh MDR (Aft dining room) when the Steering Malfunction occurred. (That's what we were told it was...) Yes, it was a bit scary as we didn't know what was going on and we could hear plates and glasses crashing around us. Thankfully, our table of 8 (we were seated with two other families) only lost a few pieces of silverware. :)

Glad to hear you had a good experience with FTTF. I considered it, but it was sold out. We ended up dropping off our luggage around 10 am, then went to eat lunch and grab a few last minute things before parking the car and walking across the street to the terminal. We got in the security line around 1:00 or so (we had a 12-1230 check in time) and about 30 minutes later, we were walking on board and finding our room. To my surprise, our luggage was already there so I was kindof glad that I hadn't spent the $60. :)

Great review! We heard about the listing issue. I heard there were a dozen heart attacks onboard from the listing, that glass was everywhere and the decks were all flooded because the pool drained and two decks were closed for the entire cruise because of it, A lot of people bleeding everywhere, and there were no dishes for the rest of the cruise because they all broke during the listing.

Now I know that is not true but as stories go on... and on..... :)

Anyways, glad you all had a wonderful time. FOR ROATAN, yes... you need to see the beautiful island. Carnival did an outstanding job with the port but West Bay Beach and the entire island is amazing. FOR BELIZE - Shark Ray Alley Snorkeling and Island is phenomenal. That is what Belize is known for.. the Cayes and Snorkeling/Scuba.

Thank you for the review. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I will be doing this same itinerary on the Freedom August 6th. We are celebrating our 8th anniversary and leaving our 2 year old at home with Grandma. It's also serving as a "end of summer celebration" before the school year starts again, and a family vacation with my Dad's side of the family. Reading your review has gotten me excited all over again!