Train or Car Rental

We are two couples traveling in February from Canada to sail on the Sun Princess for 19 days starting February 16, 2017. We are planning on visiting the Gold Coast and stay there for ten days and tour up and down the coast pre cruise. What would be our best way of getting around to see sites and get from the Brisbane airport and to the cruise terminal. Train or car rental? My hubby has been to Australia before and has driven on the left side of the road and is comfortable in doing this so getting around in a car rental would not be a problem. Can someone also explain how the smart pass on the train would work. We are considering maybe a 10 day smart pass on the train that runs from the Brisbane airport and the Gold Coast. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Opal card is Sydney NSW transport, not Queensland.

I'd recommend a car for the Gold Coast and Brisbane. There are some very interesting places away from the coast which are only accessible by car. A day trip up into the rainforest in the hinterland is highly recommended. This place is worth visiting https://oreillys.com.au/

We use a car rental-firm.Its not the top of the line firms.

They will pick you up at airport,and take you (off-site) to your car.

Is a brilliant service,cars are excellent,and almost half the price of the main-line firms.:)

So car-rental is the way to go.

If you are staying on the Goldie,you will basically be only travelling 2/3 hrs either direction.Say 200-300 kms,which with a return is 400/600 kms travelled in a day,=6hrs.:(

I would say most you will travel is 200 a day.150 kms up to brissie and beyond to the sunshine coast,and 150 kms south to Northen Rivers area.If you go west,the furtherest you would go is say Towoomba.:)

Not sure if I can recommend the car companies name.

Different rules for different folks on this site.

Definitely hire a car - our public transport system is not that good, especially the train. If one train breaks down or there is a signal failure you could be in for a long wait. We have one smart card for our Public transport system - Gocard which can be used for trains, ferries and buses, and I think there is a tourist Gocard as well. From the Brisbane airport to the cruise terminal either taxi or Uber unless there is a shuttle with Princess I am not sure. There is one recommendation I would do while you are in Brisbane/Gold Coast and take the Tangalooma Flyer over to Moreton Island for the day. Moreton Island is a pristine sand island in the Moreton Bay Area, it is a hidden paradise where many people from Brisbane have never been. You will be here during our hottest and most humid month, so pack lots of cool clothing and expect thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We travel to the Gold Coast a lot normally flying into Brisbane airport. We have tried public transport and hire cars for getting around the Gold Coast and a hire car comes out on top. It is more expensive but removes valuable waiting around time for buses and trains. We normally use one of two companies both have proved very reliable Alpha and Apex. They have depots near the airport and will pick you up and drop you off as required.

However train from the airport to the city and return was pretty good last time I caught it which may be handy if you can get a better deal on a car in the city or even save a day or two rental.

We are two couples traveling in February from Canada to sail on the Sun Princess for 19 days starting February 16, 2017. We are planning on visiting the Gold Coast and stay there for ten days and tour up and down the coast pre cruise. What would be our best way of getting around to see sites and get from the Brisbane airport and to the cruise terminal. Train or car rental? My hubby has been to Australia before and has driven on the left side of the road and is comfortable in doing this so getting around in a car rental would not be a problem. Can someone also explain how the smart pass on the train would work. We are considering maybe a 10 day smart pass on the train that runs from the Brisbane airport and the Gold Coast. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there

We had CC friends from Canada visit us in February. They flew into Melbourne, then went to Hobart.......flew to Brisbane, stayed with CC friends, down to the Gold Coast, stayed with CC friends, then hired a car and drove down the coast to NSW, staying with us for a couple of nights on the mid north coast, then drove to the Blue Mountains for a couple of nights, dropped their car at the airport in Sydney and some more CC friends picked them up and they stayed a couple of nights in Sydney, then cruised to New Zealand:p

The Cruise Critic friends you meet along the way may come in handy!!!

They were going to drive from the Gold Coast straight to us, about a 6 hour drive but I suggested for them to take their time down the coast, visiting Byron Bay, they stayed the night at Coffs Harbour before they arrived in Port Macquarie to our place. Lots of lovely places to see between Brisbane and Sydney. It's mostly freeway now, so you will need to turn off to the little seaside towns.

Where does you cruise leave from,Brisbane or Sydney?

Thanks for all the advice and information. We were thinking that the car was the way to go. We will out of Brisbane and are doing a b2b2b. Sailing for 10 days starting February 16 to New Caledonia & Vanuatu then February 26, 7 day Queensland & The Great Barrier Reef and then 2 day Brisbane to Sydney. Couldn't come all the way to Australia and not sail into Sydney. Thanks OzKiwiJJ for the Rainforest suggestion in Hinterland. Anyone else with suggests of must sees while we are in the Gold Coast for the 10 days it would be much appreciated. I'm just starting to resource tours and excursions for our ports. Maybe posting again looking for suggestions for tours at some of our ports. Thanks again Melanie.

Thanks for all the advice and information. We were thinking that the car was the way to go. We will out of Brisbane and are doing a b2b2b. Sailing for 10 days starting February 16 to New Caledonia & Vanuatu then February 26, 7 day Queensland & The Great Barrier Reef and then 2 day Brisbane to Sydney. Couldn't come all the way to Australia and not sail into Sydney. Thanks OzKiwiJJ for the Rainforest suggestion in Hinterland. Anyone else with suggests of must sees while we are in the Gold Coast for the 10 days it would be much appreciated. I'm just starting to resource tours and excursions for our ports. Maybe posting again looking for suggestions for tours at some of our ports. Thanks again Melanie.

Sounds like some good B2b2b's.

Definately the Hinterland......Sunshine coast is north of Brisbane, we have driven there for the day from Gold Coast, Australia Zoo is that way.

There are tourist Duck boat tours, Stradbroke island tours, plenty to do in Surfers Paradise.

For the islands, let us know which ones you are going to, most of us have been there plenty of times:)

If you choose to rent a car DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY LONG TERM DRIVING FOR AT LEAST THE DAY AFTER YOU ARRIVE.

This is a common experience our side of the ditch unfortunately by drivers after a long haul flight. Jet lag affects people in different ways and before taking on driving a car on the wrong side of the road at least get a good night's sleep first.

Too often we have to pick up the remains of tourists who decided to drive immediately after a long haul flight. What is worse than picking up the remains of a tourist is picking up the remains of an innocent local killed because an overseas tourist lost focus and crossed the centre line.

We and even the Australians want you Northerners to come downunder, enjoy our part of the world and then go home safely.

I've stayed a couple of times at Jupiter's when DH was attending a conference on the Gold Coast. There is a lovely swimming pool there, complete with resident water dragons. Very funny to watch the expressions of people in the pool when one of them decides to swim across to the other side.

This is one of them.

Water%20Dragon_zpslahk8jm3.jpg

They're very partial to strawberries or blueberries.

I've stayed a couple of times at Jupiter's when DH was attending a conference on the Gold Coast. There is a lovely swimming pool there, complete with resident water dragons. Very funny to watch the expressions of people in the pool when one of them decides to swim across to the other side.

This is one of them.

Water%20Dragon_zpslahk8jm3.jpg

They're very partial to strawberries or blueberries.

Oh wow! How cool is that! :)

Check out Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary which is on the western side of Brisbane. We took American friends there recently. You can get up close and personal with koalas, kangaroos and other native animals.

From the Gold Coast you could head down to Northern NSW - somewhere like Byron Bay. It's a famous part of Australia and has a laid back vibe. It's probably about an hour's drive from Surfers Paradise. It's best to stay there at least one night to soak it in. Once you get there you will hardly need your car except for a drive around to Wategos Beach and up to the lighthouse, which just happens to be the eastern-most point of Australia. You can walk up there if you're really energetic!

As a tip, depending on where you stay on the Gold Coast, you're best not to use your car in central Surfers Paradise. The light rail (tram) system is fantastic if you're travelling around locally. I use it all the time.

Make sure to have a beer at a couple of the local surf clubs - right on the beach, and visit the Southport Yacht Club to enjoy a beautiful sunset over the yachts on the Broadwater.

And my favourite restaurant on the Gold Coast (my family have been going there for over 30 years) is Nicolinis. It's an Italian restaurant in Surfers... easy to access on the light rail. You'll have the best Pizza Marinara of your life!! :D

pizzaaaaa.jpg.ef43d5e6b01e7ea3d9fc158a0e86401d.jpg