What is the difference between the new American Table menu and the old menus?

Carleeb12

Is it just a new name for the same thing? If not, is it better? Worse? I tried to pull up some sample menus, but the only thing I noticed were some entrees that now cost money, and the fried chicken and fries are now off the menu. Perhaps there are fewer entrees offered? Are the children's menus the same as always? My daughter will be sad that the fried chicken is now off the menu! Also, is creme brûlée still offered one of the nights? What about the hot chocolate? We love ending the meal with hot chocolate. Oh, and jazz music?! As you can tell, I don't deal well with change. :)

I've had a few sailings with both. Most recently in February I went one week on the Splendor with the old menus followed by a week on the Breeze with the new menus.

The main difference in my view is the new menus have much fewer selections to choose from. You get a choice of 3 or 4 apps, half a dozen mains and 3 or 4 desserts.

Also, as someone already stated they don't use table cloths with this style of dining. I find the lack of tablecloths detracts from the ambience quite honestly.

Something I really like about the new menus is their port of call selections. Each day they offer an appetizer and entrée that reflects that country - ie Jamaican port - jerk pork or chicken for dinner.

Steakhouse selections were added to new and old menus. Tablecloths aren't on either menu.

French fries are available every night. Chicken nuggets are available every night. Roast chicken is available sometimes. Fried chicken is usually offered once a cruise. The Kids menu now has a couple of extra entrees that change nightly. Creme Brulet is still available one or more nights.

Hot chocolate is available on Lido.

You lost me at jazz music.

We had the old menu in January and the new one in May.

In January I had a hard time narrowing down which entrée I wanted to order.

In May I had a hard time even finding an entrée I wanted to order.

I too miss the tablecloths - water does pool on the table from water glass condensation and results in drips in your lap..

Steakhouse selections were added to new and old menus. Tablecloths aren't on either menu.

You lost me at jazz music.

On the Magic last summer, they played Jazz music ( Miles Davis ) in the dining room. It was nice.

I prefer the menu from about 14 years ago before the cutbacks...but the new one is not that bad, just not as good.

And yes I prefer tablecloths also! The fact that it comes up so often in any American Table thread is proof that it is important :)

There is a weird perception that the new menus have less to choose from, when in fact they have more options. I will say that on Elegant night there are less appetizer options than normal, so maybe that is where people are getting that? They also did a test run and the original menus had less options, but they were changed to the current menus with more choices.

To put it in black and white.

Old Menu: 10 appetizer/soup/salad choices including everyday items, 10 entree choices including everyday items, 4 side dishes that are the same all week, and 8 dessert choices

New Menu: 11 appetizer/soup/salad choices including everyday items and new port of call item, 11 entree choices including everyday items and new port of call item, 11 possible side items (6 choices each night), and 8 dessert choices.

So basically the new menu has more choices in every category except dessert, but I think they combined a category from the old dessert menu. Instead of having selections for both ice cream and sherbet, they have "selection of ice creams" and I'm pretty sure sherbet is an option.

To answer the original question, the menu is basically restructured with a couple of changes. They removed some items and added others. They now have a port of call section with one appetizer and one entree from the region you are in. They have less appetizer choices on elegant night, but in my opinion those nights are when they have some of the best appetizers, so it makes up for the lack of variety. For example on one elegant night they have the pork tenderloin and braised kale tart which I've heard is really good, and on the other they have crab cakes and my favorite stuffed mushrooms.

I can't really say about the children's menus but it looks like they have a bunch of items that are the same every day with 2 choices that change every day.

There is a weird perception that the new menus have less to choose from' date=' when in fact they have more options. I will say that on Elegant night there are less appetizer options than normal, so maybe that is where people are getting that? They also did a test run and the original menus had less options, but they were changed to the current menus with more choices.

[/quote']

It is bizarre, isn't it? Where do these false rumors start? :D

There is more in common between the old and new menus than different. Cold soups and a number of other items that some thought were extinct, aren't.

The removed Bitter n Blanc from the new menu.... One of my favorites! And honestly, it baffles me why they removed it... Seems that "bread pudding" is inexpensive, easy to mass produce and was rather well liked? Things that make you go hmmmmm?

It is bizarre, isn't it? Where do these false rumors start? :D

There is more in common between the old and new menus than different. Cold soups and a number of other items that some thought were extinct, aren't.

The layout of the menu is different. Even after changing from the huge menu board to the tri-fold the layout is kind of confusing. People only seeing the nightly offerings and not seeing the always available offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The layout of the menu is different. Even after changing from the huge menu board to the tri-fold the layout is kind of confusing. People only seeing the nightly offerings and not seeing the always available offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The format is one of the biggest differences, but even that has evolved to be more readable. But really, it isn't hard to adjust to. If someone has questions, ask!

Bitter and Blanc IS available. Certainly on 7 day cruises. Where do these false rumors come from?

No, it is not on the menu anymore unfortunately, and has not been for some time. :(

Bitter and Blanc IS available. Certainly on 7 day cruises. Where do these false rumors come from?

It is NOT part of the American Table/feast menu... I guess we know where rumors that it is there come from... Again, it is NOT part of themes menu and has been removed... Seems like a silly thing to remove being it was popular AND cheap to make!!