Decisions, decisions - help me choose my cabins!!!

I think I’ve narrowed down my list and am pretty set on the Oosterdam’s Mediterranean Romance, 12 days from Venice to Barcelona. This is our first time on HAL. I’ve been researching these boards like crazy the last few days, comparing pricing, perks and so forth.

Here’s my dilemma. The plan is to take our 2 “adult” children, 21 and 18. Our 21 year old will have just graduated college and we understand there is a chance he may not be able to go. Hopefully, he will have a job after graduation and…. Hopefully they will allow him to go on this trip. But we are booking it with the solid understanding that it may not turn out that way.

So, if all 4 of us go, I see 2 good options:

OPTION 1: Two Verandah Cabins (considering Aft?).

OPTION 2: Neptune Corner Aft Balcony and an Inside cabin.

Each has pros and cons….

Option 1

+ Cheaper

+ Kids get a balcony

- Not enough room for family to hang together on the balcony or in the room without feeling cramped.

Option 2

+ Has a lot more space. From what I can tell, the Neptune suite alone would be the size of the 2 verandah cabins. My husband hates tight spaces and any extra space would help with is claustrophobia.

+ Our kids could be on the same deck in an inside and just use cabin for sleeping and showering. The balcony in the Neptune Suite would be comfortable for all of us.

- On the downside, we wouldn’t be able to take advantage of all of the Neptune suite perks. I believe there are some perks like priority check-in, disembarkation, etc. Since our kids would be in a regular cabin, we would not go without them. So we would forego those perks. DH and I could still take advantage of the Neptune Lounge I suppose.

- This cruise is port intensive with only 2 sea days. Not sure if the extra space is worth it if we are off the ship most of the time

A factor to consider is if we find out our son can’t go. If we find out before final payment, I can cancel the inside room and our daughter can stay with us in the suite. If we book 2 verandahs, cancelling one would likely not be a smart choice as it will be pretty tight for 3 of us and only 1 bathroom. Not ideal. (The price for her with us in the suite would be comparable to the 2 verandah cabins).

If we find out after final payment, our daughter gets her own room, which would make her very happy. Not sure if that factors in as a pro or con, for which category…..

As far as the Neptune suites go (which I really am intrigued by), the coveted deck 5 suites are gone. Port side on deck 7 is open and both of the suites on decks 8, 6 and 4 are also available. I get very confused about which are better, bigger, etc. I’ve done so much reading my eyes hurt but some of the posts are before Oosterdam got her “Aft-Lift” (who knew such a thing existed???)

Here’s what I think, if money were absolutely no object, I would book the Neptune suite and the adjacent verandah. But that’s not realistic. Second pick (I think) would be Neptune suite plus an Inside and third pick would be 2 Verandah cabins. Would welcome any thoughts, feedback, pictures, facts on cabin sizes, etc.

The website says the Neptune suites are 500 – 712 sq feet which is pretty large swing and that includes the balcony. From what I’ve read, the aft balcony cabins themselves are smaller than the side Neptune suites. By how much? I can’t tell. The Verandah cabins, by contrast, are 212-359 square feet. Again, a pretty big variance.

Thoughts?

My vote would be option 2 -- neptune suite and inside cabin. This would be for the reasons you stated. Also if your daughter were to sail alone in the inside cabin she might have to pay an extra single supplement.

Have friends who had a similar decision and they ended up with the Neptune Suite and the inside cabin. All 4 never regretted it and the children were fine with the decision and the cruise. The aft wrap around decks are huge so would be the best option although a regular Neptune suite deck is very large so would also be great and will easily accommodate 4 adults. Also, as your son may or may not be able to go, your comment about canceling a cabin and moving your daughter into the Neptune makes sense and even with a bit of claustrophobia, there should be plenty of room for all. That may or may not be the case with a veranda cabin. Also remember that the deck is added to the room dimensions, which may impact the veranda cabin sizes and 'roominess'.

If you google HAL and cabins, you may find photos of various cabins.

Have a wonderful time as looks like a great cruise!

Edited by take us away

Also, the verandahs on the Vista ships (Oosterdam) are smaller than they are on the S and R class ships. What about a Signature Suite, which has a large balcony, and an inside? We've been in a Neptune a few times and are scheduled on one this November. As much as I like them, I like the Signature Suite almost as well. It is roomy, maybe 1-1/2 times a verandah. Four adults can be seated comfortably in the cabin for cocktails, etc., etc.

Option 2 for sure.

Nearly all of our HAL cruises have been in aft-wrap staterooms. With Deck 5 not available, Deck 7 is the next best aft-wrap stateroom with its 2/3d verandah covering.

Your aft-wrap verandah can hold more than 40 of your friends and provides amazing views. You will be out of the wind when the ship is moving with a short elevator ride up to the the Lido Market or down to the Manhattan Dining Room. Since Room Service is just two minutes away, your food will be hot and you can have breakfast with your family on your huge verandah.

Option 2 would be a great choice.

something to think about..

Do either of the kids have even a touch of claustrophia? If they do being in an inside cabin would be sheer torture for them. Think how hubby would react to being in an inside cabin. I know I just stuck my head in an empty one once and had a major panic attack.

One way to tell if they are inclined to claustrophia is to have them stay inside the car while going through a car wash.

I also recommend the Neptune and the inside. I don't know about 40 people on the balcony--we usually get a corner aft on Rotterdam, so we don't have the huge balcony of deck 5. But it's plenty big enough for 4. The kids can't use the Neptune lounge or the Pinnacle breakfast. But you can order afternoon tea for everyone in your suite. And if your table has four chairs, you can have a lovely balcony dinner together. Or breakfast, but I'm willing to bet the kids will sleep in.

Add to all of this the fact that the Neptune lets you move your daughter into your suite if your son can't go, and that makes the Neptune a good choice.

What is the current interpretation of HAL's policy on minors? I was of the understanding that an 18 year old had to be in the same stateroom as an individual 21 years or older. This would be fine if your son makes the cruise, but might cause a major problem if he can't. At the very least, I would place mother and daughter together in one room and father and son in the other ON PAPER. I doubt anyone is going to check who actually sleeps where. Father and son should be shown as the occupants of the inside cabin, as I imagine the single supplement would be less should he not make it.

What is the current interpretation of HAL's policy on minors? I was of the understanding that an 18 year old had to be in the same stateroom as an individual 21 years or older. This would be fine if your son makes the cruise, but might cause a major problem if he can't. At the very least, I would place mother and daughter together in one room and father and son in the other ON PAPER. I doubt anyone is going to check who actually sleeps where. Father and son should be shown as the occupants of the inside cabin, as I imagine the single supplement would be less should he not make it.

But then Dad could not use the Neptune Lounge or breakfast at the Pinnacle Grill.

I would go with option two as well. Most employers if just starting out are more than likely agreeable with a vacation if it's noted prior to accepting the position. If a job offer comes in he could just say it's a graduation gift vacation, [emoji12] but if it turns out he can't go, drop the inside room and have DD come in with you and all will be able to use the Neptune lounge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For me personally the idea of an inside cabin has zero appeal. I am claustrophobic and no windows just doesn't get it :eek:

That being said I'd go for 2 verandahs next door to each other and have the steward open the divider between the 2.

If you get one Neptune Suite and one inside cabin - the privileges that come with the Neptune, if I understand correctly, only apply to the 2 registered in that suite - not to family members in other types of cabins.

Just another way to look at it :)

Other than the sun coming through the windows in the morning, most of the time spent in a non-balcony cabins really is mainly "inside" anyway - using the bathroom to get ready and sleeping with eyes shut.

As long as you have a balcony cabin where others can gather, the inside+Vista suite would be good and naturally the inside+Neptune even better. I wouldn't worry too much about some in the party not having Neptune access.

We use it mainly for snacks which you can also get at the Lido. No rules about not sharing what you can order for the suite for appetizers off of room service - almost the same thing.

As you note, since this is a port intensive cruise the issue of having a Neptune suite is not the same reward one feels on the longer cruises with more sea days when their finer amenities can make more of a difference - lazy breakfasts in the Pinnacle, the suite guest events and buffet and the need for more concierge help.

Priority tender and initial embarkation is nice, but it is a vacation so what is a bit more time waiting and doing nothing? We all had long lines to get through security once and it did not matter if one was priority or not. Nor is their any priority when you get back on the tender, just when you leave the ship. Do yo even have that many tender ports?

Edited by OlsSalt

Option 2 as well.

Also, normally HAL will let you all use Priority checkin together. Same for tenders. However, only the Neptune passengers can take advantage of the Lounge and Pinnacle Breakfast.

The large aft-wrap balcony would be great for your family.

I agree with the others that option two is the best, but like Fouremco also wonder if HAL will charge the single supplement if your Son can't go.. You might want to find out from your Travel Agent if that is the case..

Edited by serendipity1499

I had a similar quandry for a cruise that we just finished in June on the Oosterdam (7/17-7/28). My daughter was getting her college graduation present while my son (two years older) was ready for a vacation. I originally booked two verandas as the cruise was fairly port intensive but then booked a corner family retreat cabana to act as a general meeting point and basically have an upgraded balcony and a phenomenal area to relax and be pampered. The total cost was less than a single fare in a Neptune. About 18 days prior to sailing we were offered a very good paid upgrade to signature suites which just made the trip all that much better. I don't know if you use you suite for any considerable amount of time but we really enjoyed the additional open space of the retreat and its privacy. I am also aware that there is no guarantee that you will receive an upsell offer but I've been lucky enough to be offered on on my last 5 HAL cruises. I don't think you can go wrong whatever your choice. The Oosterdam is in great shape. Happy sailing!

Thanks everyone! I think the Neptune Suite and Inside is the way to go.

Quick question on the cancellation/single supplement policy (maybe I should start a new thread with this one)....

IF we have to cancel within 75 days and forfeit some/all of DS's fare, would a single supplement be on top of that? I'm okay paying up to the single supplement, but wouldn't want to pay TWICE!

So, say the total cost is $4,000. DS cancels and we lose his entire portion ($2,000). Can I just leave DD in the cabin? I would have paid $4,000 afterall?

I will definitely check this out with HAL or my TA before we book since it is a real possibility.

You probably need to start a new thread to discuss the cancellation and single supplement issues. There are knowledgeable people here who can help you but I am not sure they will find your question within your current thread.