april 24, 2017 Equinox visits New Orleans

LSauls7537

This looks like a great cruise, 3 days in New Orleans! And 11 day cruise and lots of perks.

We're thinking about booking but can' t find any info about the Jazz Festival in NO, there is nothing on Celebrity site yet.

Anyone have any info you could share please?

Linda

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

If you google there is lots of info. Looks like advance tickets are $60pp/day.

We are looking at this too since Apr 24 (sail date) is my birthday. The perks are amazing. Wonder if they are for this cruise only as the May 5 one costs much less.

We booked the 4/24 sailing yesterday thru a TA. On a "limited offer" & got the Go Best (Prem beverage,$300 OBC, gratuities & unlimited internet) plus OBC from TA.

I did look at the X website and to book with all Go Best option was about $700 higher than we paid.

We just booked this cruise with the Bonus + package.

First time on Celebrity.

We will be in The Villages this November & December.:D

Nancy and Richard

It would be fun to meet beforehand. Another couple we know is coming as well.

Linda

I attended Jazz Fest several years ago and it was a great day of music and food. New Orleans can be HOT AND HUMID at that time of year and the fairgrounds where the festival is held especially so! Still it was worth every ounce of sweat!

Was wondering, could you tell me (if you happen to know) how far away the festival is from the port where the ship will be docked for those 3 days?

We also put a deposit down for the cruise. Sounds like it will be fun. Took advantage of all the promos + got additional OBC from TA - Awesome!!

We have never been to New Orleans before and thought what a great way to check out the city and the sights.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Well.

I live an hour from New Orleans. JazzFest is probably a 30 minute drive.

It WILL be very hot and humid and typically there is a lot of rain during JazzFest. It's a good time but you need to be prepared that it could be muddy, stormy, and it definitely will be really really hot and humid. Particularly after the rain. We don't have heat waves here. We have heat and humidity from end of March through November.

You'll need waterproof blankets, and lots of $$ for vendors. People bring long ponchos.

Every once in a while there's a year where it's just beautiful (albeit hot) and no rain. Pray for THAT!

New Orleans is a great town. Unfortunately, too many people think that Louisiana is defined by New Orleans and that's truly unfortunate. There are lots and lots of things within an hour or so of NO. The plantation homes from Baton Rouge (capital city roughly same size as New Orleans) to Natchez MS are the best, particularly 30 miles north of BR in St. Francisville. Cajun country is Lafayette and south of there (2 hours west on I-10).

Besides Jazz Fest there is the WWII museum which is world class and a must see/do. Lots of great food and drink of course - people come from all over the world to eat our food. I personally am not a big fan of NO and if you've never been there, many of the beautiful streets of the French Quarter smell like a toilet -- part of the charm. :D Perhaps there is a Broadway play at the Saenger Theatre, one of the country's historic beautiful old theaters, completely restored since Katrina. I tend to visit the areas NOT in the French Quarter. St. Charles street in the garden district and Old Metairie area are just lovely.

For a first timer you could probably spend your 3 days easily doing things in and around the central business district and the 11 x 7 square block area known as the French Quarter. But do look elsewhere!

If there was one place I'd recommend, take a taxi and get a reservation (NOW) for Commander's Palace restaurant. <-----enough said.

Antique and boutique shop lovers could spend the entire three days on Magazine Street. $ to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by ClaudiaB

We booked this cruise also! Great perks. Celebrity does have some NO excursions but they are literally double what you can book them for yourself. There is no threat of missing the ship so I don't know how they can charge so much for the paddle boat dinner cruise. It is $77 on line and they are charging something like $139. You can walk there from the ship so no advantage there! Anyway it is going to be a fun cruise! I am also doing the Mardi Gras cruise in Feb. The cruise has the added bonus of Key West which is always a great stop! I am buying my Jazz Fest tickets online and maybe a paddle boat dinner with jazz...:cool:

Hi Everyone,

As this thread has veered off topic, as a Roll Call conversation, we ask you to continue the discussion on your Equinox Roll Call : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2380659

Thanks for your understanding and participation. This thread is now closed.