Dining Room Attire

kamari

First, I see you have cruised Disney. Disney has pretty high standards when it comes to presentation. Imagine Mickey came out to greet you or pose for photos during your trip, but instead of the Mickey costume you would rightly expect, some fool shows up with a costume purchased somewhere in Tijuana, reeking of smoke and BO and tries to pass himself off as Mickey.

Yep, I was on a Disney Cruise, the dining was pretty terrible like I suspect it is on most cruises. It had nothing to do with the dress of the other dining victims though. Shorts and t-shirts were worn by all in the MDR regardless of which of the 3 dining rooms we got rotated to.

If they want to class up the environment in the MDR, they should start with the food and the service. I've had better meals at a steak and shake than I did on that boat. RCL wasn't much better.

fyi, There were no characters in the MDR on our Disney cruise, I actually don't recall seeing any characters on the cruise outside of a show.

Tell me if those examples are okay with you at your table with your family.

I thought I did tell you that it was ok, I said "I don't understand why any of that which you described should affect me or anyone else". I could not care less what you or anyone else wears to the MDR on any boat at any time.

Yep, I was on a Disney Cruise, the dining was pretty terrible like I suspect it is on most cruises. It had nothing to do with the dress of the other dining victims though. Shorts and t-shirts were worn by all in the MDR regardless of which of the 3 dining rooms we got rotated to.

If they want to class up the environment in the MDR, they should start with the food and the service. I've had better meals at a steak and shake than I did on that boat. RCL wasn't much better.

fyi, There were no characters in the MDR on our Disney cruise, I actually don't recall seeing any characters on the cruise outside of a show.

With apologies to the carcass of the dead horse I continue to flail upon, I just can't let this pass. "Terrible? Most Cruises?" Such a blanket statement needs exploration. What are the expectations here?

The best single dining experience I have ever had was aboard ship. It was a three hour, seven course, wine paired expedition of absolute gastronomic and oenologic nirvana. The service was so amazing it defies description. Never in my life have I been so throughly amazed at what was possible in a meal.

It is in defense of those who worked to provide such an experience that I have to question your blanket dismissal of their product.

Your statement leaves me with just two conclusions; you either have the palate of Royalty, in which case I imagine the pedestrian fare of the MDR would be rather an insult to you, or your definition of a great meal is when Trixie gets the fries out of the oil at just the right moment. There can be no middle ground.

Poor food reviews aboard are a mystery to me. I'm sure that occasionally a bad meal gets served, but my greater suspicion is that unless the meal comes wrapped in a sesame seed bun, is washed down by Coke, and drips grease to the elbows, many will cower away from it and complain loudly that the "food sucks."

Enough from me though. I'll change no minds here.

What are the expectations here?

The best single dining experience I have ever had was aboard ship. It was a three hour, seven course, wine paired expedition of absolute gastronomic and oenologic nirvana. The service was so amazing it defies description. Never in my life have I been so throughly amazed at what was possible in a meal.

Your statement leaves me with just two conclusions; you either have the palate of Royalty, in which case I imagine the pedestrian fare of the MDR would be rather an insult to you, or your definition of a great meal is when Trixie gets the fries out of the oil at just the right moment. There can be no middle ground.

Enough from me though. I'll change no minds here.

Steaks with more gristle and fat than meat? chicken cooked till it was dry as a desert? A server that acts put out when you aren't interested in dessert? These are my experiences in cruise ship main dining rooms.

What is my expectation for a great meal? how about a nice dinner in a calm environment with properly prepared food? Your example of a meal above does not sound like anything I've seen or heard of in a cruise ship MDR, perhaps in one of the add on extra restaurants, but not certainly not in the main dining rooms I've been in. We did eat at Palo on the Disney ship and that was a nice meal, however it did cost quite a bit more there, although it didn't take 3 hours to serve it. Given the traditional seating times for early and late dining and enough time to reset tables in between, I'm sure you are either mistaken about the duration or location of your event.

I have neither the palate of royalty nor do I eat at fast food restaurants. You should feel free to love the food they serve you, but I don't understand why you feel the need to attempt to insult me just because I don't.

Edited by Sitzmark

..and what you state doesn't compute with me, or likely some others either!

Do you know why men wear "black tie" or proper dark suits at formal events? Obviously not!

Enjoy your casual cruising, as I will not be seeing you on any upscale lines any time soon.:cool:

Actually, Loubetti, it is better NOT to have assumptions about people. Some of us actually "know" why dress traditions are in place...and actually do wear the appropriate clothing if we choose to attend "black tie" galas. But choose is the operative word. If I choose to cruise on an upscale traditionalist line I will probably choose to wear "traditionalist" dress and have on numerous occasions.

But, Carnival is not an upscale traditional cruise line. It is geared to first time cruisers, families, people who don't have the financial means to spend thousands for a "traditional" atmosphere. Consequently Carnival has become quite casual...and the enjoyment of that specific atmosphere does not require a tux and gown to thoroughly enjoy the experience.

Many peeps here on the boards express an opinion that to enjoy "elegant" night you must be "all dressed up" and that is absurd. Good friends and pleasant companionship make the night special, not what someone wears.

Actually, Loubetti, it is better NOT to have assumptions about people. Some of us actually "know" why dress traditions are in place...and actually do wear the appropriate clothing if we choose to attend "black tie" galas. But choose is the operative word. If I choose to cruise on an upscale traditionalist line I will probably choose to wear "traditionalist" dress and have on numerous occasions.

But, Carnival is not an upscale traditional cruise line. It is geared to first time cruisers, families, people who don't have the financial means to spend thousands for a "traditional" atmosphere. Consequently Carnival has become quite casual...and the enjoyment of that specific atmosphere does not require a tux and gown to thoroughly enjoy the experience.

Many peeps here on the boards express an opinion that to enjoy "elegant" night you must be "all dressed up" and that is absurd. Good friends and pleasant companionship make the night special, not what someone wears.

Carnival has been at the same price point for decades. These same "poor people" used to show up dresses nicely. They must have scraped together their pennies for a tie or headed to goodwill for a dress.

People go on carnival for fun. I have met plenty of perfectly lovely wealthy people on board. I think it is funny that you assume that the only people on Carnival are the poor unwashed masses.

Perhaps if you're on Crystal you can make some small assumptions about income. Pleny of people would rather travel on Carnival than on an upscale.

If you are just there for a "meal" and to shovel food into your mouth, then sure, you wouldn't understand it. Others are there for a "dining experience", which includes the atmosphere.

This logic just blows me away. Its the equivalent of me going to the beach and looking for that "beach experience." In my mind, the "beach experience" is one that involves petite women in bikinis and men with 6 pack abs. I guess if you have a beer gut or wear a one piece, then sure, you wouldn't understand.

If you have a meal "ruined" or take the time to "police" what people are wearing in the MDR, you should really have some deep thoughts on why things that other people do stress you out. That is not very positive and only serves to do more harm to your emotional state, than anything else.

Also, to the crowd of "Carnival has rules in place, they should enforce them." Do you follow the speed limit to the absolute letter of the law? Even if you do, when you see someone pass by you who is doing more than you are right at the speed limit, do you call the police on those people? Speeding is a much more serious and potentially life changing situation, than wearing flip flops to dinner. Why not worry about the things that can actually harm you or your family, rather than what someone else is wearing? And trust me, I speed more than I should, so I am not advocating that, I am making a simple point that we all break or bend rules, why would you prioritize something trivial over something life threatening? Seems like you just want to judge.

Carnival has been at the same price point for decades. These same "poor people" used to show up dresses nicely. They must have scraped together their pennies for a tie or headed to goodwill for a dress.

People go on carnival for fun. I have met plenty of perfectly lovely wealthy people on board. I think it is funny that you assume that the only people on Carnival are the poor unwashed masses.

Perhaps if you're on Crystal you can make some small assumptions about income. Pleny of people would rather travel on Carnival than on an upscale.

Sorry, I should have said "choose" not to spend thousands for a "traditional" experience. Me bad. But the fact remains that Carnival is the "budget" or less expensive alternative no matter how it is phrased. And if people choose to spend less they can't "assume" that everyone has that choice...many people have a budget for their vacations and Carnival seems to fit the bill for them. And I find it deplorable that the minute we start talking about budget conscious passengers the term "unwashed masses" is used by some to describe them. That's classist, and it speaks volumes about the people who choose to use it.

If Carnival wanted to cater to the elite they could....but they have found a niche that allows thousands to enjoy a cruising experience without breaking their personal bank accounts. It doesn't mean the "wealthy" can't enjoy that experience, too.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

But if the ship requests "no shorts/no flip flops" that should not be too hard to follow. That's why they have the Lido deck and rooms service available.

People should follow rules for a pleasant experience. Why stop others from having a pleasant experience if you can't follow rules?

"Why stop others from having a pleasant experience....."

Seriously? Are you THAT pompous you can enjoy food because someone is wearing something YOU don't approve of? My food tastes the same regardless. Get over yourself!! SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Carnival chooses how it runs its show. gone are the days of ice carvings and gala buffets. gone are the days of included good cuts of steaks and lobsters (on all itineraries). What has replaced them are promenades jam packed with photographers, waiters gyrating on podiums like stripper journeymen to Gangnam style, and minimum dress codes that bear no resemblance whatsoever to anything one would consider elegant or formal. The food, service, and "show" are the same every night. So one can conclude elegant night is for those who find it enjoyable or want a nice portrait; hey, I think that's great. But Elegant is not the ambiance and atmosphere that Carnival chooses to foster, and I've "got the pictures" already, so now on vacation I am pretty much past it.

I have no problem putting on a pair of nice tan or black pants for an evening, but I'd rather wear my khaki shorts, golf/tommy bahama shirt, and boat shoes for the duration of my vacation. There's nothing wrong with just being neat and clean, if not elegant. But if others don't want to go that far even, it really is no problem for me.

I've been cruising on Carnival since 1992, so I do sort of resent people who have never, and will never, cruise on Carnival attempting to lecture me about something with which they have no experience, or put me down because they choose to spend more money on a different experience. It's uncouth. Money can buy experiences, it can not buy class.

If the clown in the wife beater and the camouflage hat is sitting at at my assigned table.

I've mentioned this previously in a similar thread. On a Pride cruise two years ago, my wife and I were at a table for two near the entrance for the 6:00 seating. In a booth for four very close two us was a young couple, maybe upper 20's, dressed neatly, both in shorts as were we. Just them that night. It was first night.

The next night was elegant night. They were back - he in slacks and a collared shirt, she in a skirt and top. They looked fine, even for elegant night - neatly dressed. This night, their table mates arrived for dinner. The couple was about the same age. He in droopy NBA basketball uniform shorts, matching sleeveless basketball jersey, and matching team hat - kept on during dinner. She was in Daisey Duke length shorts and cropped top with belly so pleasantly showing. The other couple did not come back to the dining room (or maybe just that table) for the rest of the cruise.

That's how the way someone dresses can keep someone from having a pleasant experience. Get it now?

Maybe it was something they said rather than the way they looked.

I do not condemn anyone for their opinion. I have one too. However, it is irrelevant to my actions. The mature path is to respect the rules, don't worry what others do, and lobby Carnival if you feel things should change. I'm out. Have fun guys and gals.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

This logic just blows me away. Its the equivalent of me going to the beach and looking for that "beach experience." In my mind, the "beach experience" is one that involves petite women in bikinis and men with 6 pack abs. I guess if you have a beer gut or wear a one piece, then sure, you wouldn't understand.

If you have a meal "ruined" or take the time to "police" what people are wearing in the MDR, you should really have some deep thoughts on why things that other people do stress you out. That is not very positive and only serves to do more harm to your emotional state, than anything else.

Most beaches are public property and other than laws governing public indency, I'm not aware of any laws or rules governing attire. I do hope that others will make an attempt to comply with a dress code imposed by a private actor on private property that is designed to enhance the experience of the location. Do you not agree that a dress code sets certain expectations for the atmosphere of a place? Do you go to a wedding expecting the same general attire as at a dive bar? I'm also not sure of the relevance of beer guts. I don't have one, do you?

As for the rest of your post, you read much more into my comment than I actually posted. I've never had a meal ruined or policed others' attire on a cruise. However, I do appreciate the fact that the dress of others does affect the atmosphere of a place. I enjoy all kinds of different places and yes, I dress differently when mowing the yard and going to a night club in Vegas.

I do not understand why it seems so mind-boggling to some that what diners see around them affects their enjoyment of the dining experience. The "ambiance" of a restaurant -- its visible attributes -- is a factor that most people take into consideration when choosing to eat there. Some enjoy a rustic, casual vibe, others like plush carpets, tapestry drapes, and crystal chandeliers. Others prefer a slick, modern atmosphere with lots of chrome and mirrors. Some prefer red and white checked tablecloths and murals of stunning Italian scenery.

What seems to be incomprehensible for some is that for many people, the look of their fellow diners is part of the ambiance. Because people are visible, they are observed -- in the same way that draperies or murals are observed. And in the same way that a diner might be displeased to see a large hole in a tapestry drape, a giant crack in a mirrored wall, ketchup smeared across a farmhouse-style table, or wall murals of landfills or junkyards, the view of unkempt diners affects the aesthetics of the dining venue, and thus detracts from the dining experience. It's that simple.

Human beings in general notice beauty (or the lack thereof) around them, and beauty or lack of it affects our emotions. If this were not true, there would be no flower gardens or art galleries, everyone would wear burlap bags, and there would be no such career as interior design.

It's just that some people are more strongly affected by visual stimuli than others -- more observant of and reactive to the beauty (or lack of it) around them.

On a cruise ship, the decor of any giving dining room is more or less unvarying, but the cruiseline makes an attempt to manipulate the "ambiance" via the dress code. As soon as they walk into a dining room, diners become, whether they like it or not, part of the "decor," and for many of their fellow diners, either enhance the ambiance or diminish it. Diners may not agree that they have the responsibility not to diminish the ambiance, but it is not impossible to imagine that they may be doing it.

Why bother?

Why bother complaining about it? You can't change other people to please yourself so why bother getting upset about it? You said you feel shorts are not appropriate for the dining room, that's how you feel but not everyone feels that way. I've never really understood why what other people are wearing bothers them. I just don't get concerned over what others are wearing to the dining room. I pay attention to myself and my own family and enjoy our meal. As a pp said times change. I can remember when people used to dress up to fly. Men in suits, women in dresses and some even wearing gloves. That's a thing of the past, and dressing up for dinner on a cruise ship is rapidly following in that direction.

i don't think anyone is trying to change the people. what people are trying to do is change carnival's lack of enforcement of their own rules. i couldn't care less what rules/dress code they decide to have by should damn well enforce what rules/dress code that they create.

Your statement leaves me with just two conclusions; you either have the palate of Royalty, in which case I imagine the pedestrian fare of the MDR would be rather an insult to you, or your definition of a great meal is when Trixie gets the fries out of the oil at just the right moment.

This made me laugh out loud.

But, to be fair, it's hard to argue against a nicely timed removal of fries from the fry daddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not understand why it seems so mind-boggling to some that what diners see around them affects their enjoyment of the dining experience. The "ambiance" of a restaurant -- its visible attributes -- is a factor that most people take into consideration when choosing to eat there. Some enjoy a rustic, casual vibe, others like plush carpets, tapestry drapes, and crystal chandeliers. Others prefer a slick, modern atmosphere with lots of chrome and mirrors. Some prefer red and white checked tablecloths and murals of stunning Italian scenery.

What seems to be incomprehensible for some is that for many people, the look of their fellow diners is part of the ambiance. Because people are visible, they are observed -- in the same way that draperies or murals are observed. And in the same way that a diner might be displeased to see a large hole in a tapestry drape, a giant crack in a mirrored wall, ketchup smeared across a farmhouse-style table, or wall murals of landfills or junkyards, the view of unkempt diners affects the aesthetics of the dining venue, and thus detracts from the dining experience. It's that simple.

Human beings in general notice beauty (or the lack thereof) around them, and beauty or lack of it affects our emotions. If this were not true, there would be no flower gardens or art galleries, everyone would wear burlap bags, and there would be no such career as interior design.

It's just that some people are more strongly affected by visual stimuli than others -- more observant of and reactive to the beauty (or lack of it) around them.

On a cruise ship, the decor of any giving dining room is more or less unvarying, but the cruiseline makes an attempt to manipulate the "ambiance" via the dress code. As soon as they walk into a dining room, diners become, whether they like it or not, part of the "decor," and for many of their fellow diners, either enhance the ambiance or diminish it. Diners may not agree that they have the responsibility not to diminish the ambiance, but it is not impossible to imagine that they may be doing it.

Other people's dress can only have an effect on your enjoying of your dining experience if you choose to let it.

On one cruise about 10 years ago I nagged my 16 y/o son to put his things together to pack for 2 weeks before the cruise. He said he knew what he was taking, don't worry. We got on board and his dress pants were 3 inches too short and were falling off as he'd grown taller and thinner since the last cruise. He had a pair of jeans that fit and wanted to wear them to the MDR but I wouldn't let him. We had to do the old tape the hem thing and somehow fixed the waist.

On the way to the MDR we were behind a group of men wearing overalls!! The rest of the week my son wore his jeans.

[quote name='SeagoingMom'][COLOR=DarkRed]I do not understand why it seems so mind-boggling to some that what diners see around them affects their enjoyment of the dining experience. The "ambiance" of a restaurant -- its visible attributes -- is a factor that most people take into consideration when choosing to eat there. Some enjoy a rustic, casual vibe, others like plush carpets, tapestry drapes, and crystal chandeliers. Others prefer a slick, modern atmosphere with lots of chrome and mirrors. Some prefer red and white checked tablecloths and murals of stunning Italian scenery. [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][COLOR=DarkRed]

What seems to be incomprehensible for some is that f[/COLOR]or many people, the look of their fellow diners is part of the ambiance. Because people are visible, they are observed -- in the same way that draperies or murals are observed. And in the same way that a diner might be displeased to see a large hole in a tapestry drape, a giant crack in a mirrored wall, ketchup smeared across a farmhouse-style table, or wall murals of landfills or junkyards, the view of unkempt diners affects the aesthetics of the dining venue, and thus [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][COLOR=DarkRed]detracts from the dining [/COLOR]experience. It's that simple.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Human beings in general notice beauty (or the lack thereof) around them, and beauty or lack of it affects our emotions. If this were not true, there would be no flower gardens or art galleries, everyone would wear burlap bags, and there would be no such career as interior design.

[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkRed][COLOR=DarkRed][COLOR=DarkRed]On a cruise ship, the decor of any giving dining room is more or less unvarying, but the cruiseline makes an attempt to manipulate the "ambiance" via the dress code. As soon as they walk into a dining room, diners become, whether they like it or not, part of the "decor," and for many of their fellow diners, either enhance the ambiance or diminish it. Diners may not agree that they have the responsibility not to diminish the ambiance, but it is not impossible to imagine that they may be doing it.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[quote name='declansdad']Other people's dress can only have an effect on your enjoying of your dining experience if you choose to let it.[/QUOTE]

It's the same with the table cloths; people have a preference for it and others say it makes no difference.

Carnival runs the game show here, and they have willingly chosen to have a more "fun" and casual atmosphere. The food, the service, the ambiance, the 'show' in no way resembles fine dining and the formality is meaningless. There are not 1500 people co-celebrating a milestone event together. This is not a formal gala for charity or commemorating a wedding or a life passed. It's just for fun, for those that find it fun to do. No more, no less.

[quote name='Cuervosar']
[/QUOTE]

THAT was one of the funniest things I read on this board..

[quote name='SeagoingMom'][COLOR=DarkRed]I do not understand why it seems so mind-boggling to some that what diners see around them affects their enjoyment of the dining experience. The "ambiance" of a restaurant -- its visible attributes -- is a factor that most people take into consideration when choosing to eat there. Some enjoy a rustic, casual vibe, others like plush carpets, tapestry drapes, and crystal chandeliers. Others prefer a slick, modern atmosphere with lots of chrome and mirrors. Some prefer red and white checked tablecloths and murals of stunning Italian scenery. [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][COLOR=DarkRed]

What seems to be incomprehensible for some is that f[/COLOR]or many people, the look of their fellow diners is part of the ambiance. Because people are visible, they are observed -- in the same way that draperies or murals are observed. And in the same way that a diner might be displeased to see a large hole in a tapestry drape, a giant crack in a mirrored wall, ketchup smeared across a farmhouse-style table, or wall murals of landfills or junkyards, the view of unkempt diners affects the aesthetics of the dining venue, and thus [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][COLOR=DarkRed]detracts from the dining [/COLOR]experience. It's that simple.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Human beings in general notice beauty (or the lack thereof) around them, and beauty or lack of it affects our emotions. If this were not true, there would be no flower gardens or art galleries, everyone would wear burlap bags, and there would be no such career as interior design.

[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkRed][COLOR=DarkRed][COLOR=DarkRed]On a cruise ship, the decor of any giving dining room is more or less unvarying, but the cruiseline makes an attempt to manipulate the "ambiance" via the dress code. As soon as they walk into a dining room, diners become, whether they like it or not, part of the "decor," and for many of their fellow diners, either enhance the ambiance or diminish it. Diners may not agree that they have the responsibility not to diminish the ambiance, but it is not impossible to imagine that they may be doing it.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Ditto. Thank you for articulating something in a way I could not.

[quote name='crusinpsychRN']On one cruise about 10 years ago I nagged my 16 y/o son to put his things together to pack for 2 weeks before the cruise. He said he knew what he was taking, don't worry. We got on board and his dress pants were 3 inches too short and were falling off as he'd grown taller and thinner since the last cruise. He had a pair of jeans that fit and wanted to wear them to the MDR but I wouldn't let him. We had to do the old tape the hem thing and somehow fixed the waist.

On the way to the MDR we were behind a group of men wearing overalls!! The rest of the week my son wore his jeans.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, it was probably their formal "Sunday" overalls.

Second option, if German, leiderhosen would get a pass.

[quote name='SeagoingMom']On a cruise ship, the decor of any giving dining room is more or less unvarying, but the cruiseline makes an attempt to manipulate the "ambiance" via the dress code. As soon as they walk into a dining room, diners become, whether they like it or not, part of the "decor," and for many of their fellow diners, either enhance the ambiance or diminish it. Diners may not agree that they have the responsibility not to diminish the ambiance, but it is not impossible to imagine that they may be doing it.[/QUOTE]

Nice sentiment but not exactly the truth. Originally "formal night" was an homage to the past....bringing that 1920's ocean liner atmosphere to a vacation cruise (aka the "titanic cruise for first class passengers). But now, a hundred years beyond the Titanic, elegant night for the cruise line is mainly about selling pictures to those that want keepsakes of them and their families and friends "dressed beyond what they probably do within the scope of their normal lives". Thousands have moved beyond that meme.

If someone wants a "picture" reflecting that image...good on them. But many passengers have foregone that for family pictures that "actually" reflect who they are and don't want the hassle of "dressing-up" to eat a banquet meal. Besides I am not a piece of furniture in a dining room...only there to create an ambiance...I am a vacationer that wants a relaxing 'served' meal not a help-yourself dinner in the buffet. Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl