Your thoughts on Dining.

We are late to the game.

Need some advice on dining.

Due to health reasons wifey can not fly, was hoping she was cleared to fly by now but not, thus the delay in booking.

Wife turns 50 in Dec. ( This is a Surprise cruise)

So I just booked yesterday from New Jersey on the Anthem for the 12 Day, 2 Hour drive from home, nice. Initially was going to fly to San Juan and cruise from there. Talked to my boss yesterday and he said go ahead, take 2 weeks off...

They only have late dining, I think that is the Dynamic Dining, Rotating between 4 restaurants?

They say there is no wait list for the early as it is closed.

I understand.

I was going to purchase the 5 Night Dining as well.

Being new to RCL and thinking we would only get to the main dining area 4-5 times at most.

Should I just cancel the main dining? I don't think it is fair to the wait staff and other table mates?

It would be nice to meet and sit with them. But...

What would my options be to eat if we didn't do the Late seating other then the 5 nights at other paid restaurants.??

Also:

Ladies, How long should I wait before I tell her, Happy Birthday, we're going cruising?? Days prior?

I can probably pull this off until the last minute...

I'm not telling anyone else until need to know.

Except all of you of course.

Looked at her passport this morning and it expires in Aug....

Going to have to figure a way to get a new picture taken so she doesn't figure it out..

I can tell her it has to be renewed as it is expiring there is a chance she is going to an international Conference next year with me if she is cleared, so I can tell her it is planning ahead for that and she would buy that.

Thank you,

We are late to the game.

Need some advice on dining.

Due to health reasons wifey can not fly, was hoping she was cleared to fly by now but not, thus the delay in booking.

Wife turns 50 in Dec. ( This is a Surprise cruise)

So I just booked yesterday from New Jersey on the Anthem for the 12 Day, 2 Hour drive from home, nice. Initially was going to fly to San Juan and cruise from there. Talked to my boss yesterday and he said go ahead, take 2 weeks off...

They only have late dining, I think that is the Dynamic Dining, Rotating between 4 restaurants?

They say there is no wait list for the early as it is closed.

I understand.

I was going to purchase the 5 Night Dining as well.

Being new to RCL and thinking we would only get to the main dining area 4-5 times at most.

Should I just cancel the main dining? I don't think it is fair to the wait staff and other table mates?

It would be nice to meet and sit with them. But...

What would my options be to eat if we didn't do the Late seating other then the 5 nights at other paid restaurants.??

Also:

Ladies, How long should I wait before I tell her, Happy Birthday, we're going cruising?? Days prior?

I can probably pull this off until the last minute...

I'm not telling anyone else until need to know.

Except all of you of course.

Going to have to figure a way to get a new picture taken so she doesn't figure it out..

I can tell her it has to be renewed as it is expiring there is a chance she is going to an international Conference next year with me if she is cleared, so I can tell her it is planning ahead for that and she would buy that.

Thank you,

Yes, cancel the late dining Dynamic Dining Classic, and instead have Dynamic Dining Choice. With Choice, you can pick whichever of the included dining rooms you like at your schedule on whichever nights you choose, instead of being locked into the set dining time and table on the rotation RCI puts you on. That way, you can use your specially dining package on whichever nights you like, go to he dining rooms the other nights as you choose and such - flexibility.

You know your wife best, so a few considerations - does she like to get hair done, nails done, shop for a new dress or whatnot before a cruise? If so, tell her with enoigh time left for her to do those things, ie at least two weeks! If she's pretty spontaneous or not too fussed about pre-cruise details like that, then the closer to cruise time the better for max surprise... Etc.. Really depends on you and your wife, pre-cruise dynamic, etc..

As for the passport, that's tougher - but assuming she's a US citizen, then she can cruise a closed loop cruise with just her state issued birth certificate, photo ID and any bridge documents to show name change (if different than birth name).

Happy sails!

I can't answer any questions on Anthem so I will leave that to others.

It seems you a very thoughtful husband, are you able to pack for your wife? If you could do this (without her cursing you on board because you forgot something!) then go ahead and surprise her the day of departure. I would love for my husband do this but 1) I know he never would and 2) he would never dare pack for me. Heck, he would never even try to pack for himself :D

Otherwise, you need to give your wife a few days notice (at least).

Have her health issues caused her to gain/lose weight? does she need to shop for new clothes? If so, even more notice is probably appropriate!!

hope you have a happy and wonderful, care-free, healthy sailing!!!!

How sweet! I would love if dh did this for me :)

I would need about a week before cruise to know we were going and get ready.

As for the passport, I don't know how often you guys cruise, but I would mention something like, hey what do you think about cruising next summer, fall, whatever and maybe we should get new passports.

BTW - I agree on the dynamic dining choice suggestion rather than the classic that way no one will be waiting for you to show up. Since there are just two of you, from what I've read, you shouldn't have too much of an issue getting seating on the nights you don't do the specialties. But definitely look at the cruise planner and see if you can make reservations.

Edited by hansolosmom

I would love for my husband do this but 1) I know he never would and 2) he would never dare pack for me. Heck, he would never even try to pack for himself :D

Our husbands must be twins separated at birth, lol!

Personally, while I would *LOVE* my husband to surprise me with a cruise, I would want to be told a couple of weeks in advance at least. Time enough to do the pre-cruise primping and last minute shopping.

Also, those couple of weeks would give time to get the passport sorted if you do it expedited.

What an amazingly sweet and loving gesture. You are definitely a keeper, OP!!

Edited by Lessa123
left out a word

We are late to the game.

Thank you,

Regarding the passports, it's very simple to send in for renewal without your wife's knowledge. You complete the forms, send in the old one with the headshot, and it will be returned in the mail about a month later.

Now for the surprise.. It sounds like you may be traveling in December, you may want to give her a couple weeks notice in case you and her have to prepare for the holidays before your trip. It is nice to have some time to go through your travel items, get formalwear cleaned and prepped, etc. before your trip. But no matter what, a surprise birthday cruise is a good surprise ANY day..

Have a blast!

Thank You All!

Switched to the Dynamic Choice! Thank You!

I think that will work out perfect for us.

Going to download the Passport renewals and send those away.

I'll tell her I need if for work as mine just expired and going to get hers renewed as well just in case she can travel with me. She'll buy into that no problem.

We'll give her a week to get ready for a cruise!:D

I'll set up her hair & nails the week of.

Not telling anyone with the exception of my superior!( and you of course)

We'll see if we can pull this off.

Funny, last night watching Wheel of Fortune, at the end they said they are giving away a cruise.. her reaction was, I want to go on a cruise again, it's been too long. :D ....If you only knew!

Keep ya posted!

Oh and...

Never thought of packing her suitcase.:eek:

Would be a carry on if I had my way !

Thank You All!

Switched to the Dynamic Choice! Thank You!

I think that will work out perfect for us.

Going to download the Passport renewals and send those away.

I'll tell her I need if for work as mine just expired and going to get hers renewed as well just in case she can travel with me. She'll buy into that no problem.

We'll give her a week to get ready for a cruise!:D

I'll set up her hair & nails the week of.

Not telling anyone with the exception of my superior!( and you of course)

We'll see if we can pull this off.

Funny, last night watching Wheel of Fortune, at the end they said they are giving away a cruise.. her reaction was, I want to go on a cruise again, it's been too long. :D ....If you only knew!

Keep ya posted!

Oh and...

Never thought of packing her suitcase.:eek:

Would be a carry on if I had my way !

good luck with everything!

Don't forget to sneak in time to book the shows and the North Star when they open up! Our shows opened up yesterday for my Sept sailing and this morning they were very limited on days and times...

As for timing, it depends somewhat on the person, and you know your wife better than we. I would think that, at the very least, you'd want to give her advance notice that you'll be taking her somewhere, and give her an idea of what she might need to pack. (My wife would panic about what to wear, if she found out last minute; others would just go with the flow.)

As for the expiring passport, I think the possibility of the conference next year is a good segue to bringing up the topic. And you can tell her that it's easier to renew if you do it before it's expired. That would be a little bit of a white lie, and it doesn't really make a difference in the renewal process, unless it's been expired for several years. But that might be a good excuse for going ahead with renewing now.

Regarding the passports, it's very simple to send in for renewal without your wife's knowledge. You complete the forms, send in the old one with the headshot, and it will be returned in the mail about a month later.

We needed a new picture for our passports when we renewed them. They will not accept the old picture. Too many people change their looks as they get older. Remember, passports are good for 10 yrs.

I think this would be standard no matter where you live. Correct me if I am wrong.....

Gwen :)

I'm guessing this is at the 60 day mark to book shows?

good luck with everything!

Don't forget to sneak in time to book the shows and the North Star when they open up! Our shows opened up yesterday for my Sept sailing and this morning they were very limited on days and times...

Also on the 5 Night dining plan, I signed up for the 2nd night for the 1st dinner.

They pick the initial restaurant? And the other 4 I have to book when I board?

I can not book them in advance, correct?

Also on the 5 Night dining plan, I signed up for the 2nd night for the 1st dinner.

They pick the initial restaurant? And the other 4 I have to book when I board?

I can not book them in advance, correct?

Correct.

I would want to know well in advance. For me part of the excitement of cruising is planning my wardrobe, buying new things, booking hair and nail apps etc. Looking at the ports and what I might want to do.

You could still make it a nice surprise, take her out for a meal and present her with something, a little boat or a picture of a cruise ship with details on the back, that sort of thing.

However, I don't generally like surprises anyway, too much of a control freak!

Best wishes whatever you decide .

I would want PLENTy of time to prepare and get excited about the trip! Do NOT spring it on her last minute, please!

Before I leave home, I like my house "ship-shape", I want to shop for any little things I might need...plenty of time to get laundry done, and pack....give her at least a month, IMO!!

Edited by cb at sea

Im going on a 14 night cruise in August. Ive been working on my wardrobe for the last month buying clothes and mixing and matching. If someone sprung a cruise on me on the day - whilst a nice surprise, I just would not be happy as I like to dress up on cruises, tan, teeth, hair etc ( its hard work ! Lol )

So my advice for a 12 night cruise is at least two weeks notice as its still a surprise and part of the enjoyment is the planning and anticipation ! How lovely of you :)

My DH was planning to surprise me with a retirement cruise next March . He was going to pack for me , etc . I finally asked him to " come clean " about what's up ! ( It seems lots of family are coming ! He was making so many secret calls , I was worried someone was sick or something ! ) I 'm having so much fun planning , reading CC etc . & I would have missed this . I'm also pretty sure I would have fretted about the clothes he packed & ruined his joy . I believe it's better to have plenty of time to plan ! He did surprise me with a party for my 60th birthday. That was great fun , this IMHO is WAY different ! I think you should tell her , unless your wife is very easy going & you are a great packer .

Edited by Sheebee
Additional thoughts added .

I think the party idea a couple of weeks out is a great idea. I'm a bit of a control freak myself, but the surprise coupled with the excitement and what you'd arranged would override my usual "plan everything 6 months out" tendencies.

2 weeks will be fine, and she'll still be excited when you board. Just be prepared for a bit of panic in the lead up when she tries to get "everything" done in time.

Happy cruising [emoji4]