HAL Roll Calls - What's Up?

Sequim88

You are assuming that every cruise has Cruise Critic members on it.

Good point. Not everyone goes on roll calls and CC members on a cruise can vary. And, some are just shy to post for whatever reason and wait until the 95th hour.

I just saw a sentence in someone's post that they are card players but now can't find that post. If you are card players and would be interested in getting together for a game or two on Sea Days email me at beverly.munson@yahoo.com and we'll exchange information. If we don't play the same type of games, we're open to learning new ones!

One thing that doesn't help roll calls particularly on the Prinsendam is the way HAL over laps segments, sometimes you can have three or more possible bookings that over lap with a different roll call for each one.

OMG are you staying there Cindy? It's been a few years since we were there but it was the absolute best. Worth every penny :).

Location was perfect. Far from the maddening crowd but not too far away.

and the family was awesome. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :). It is one of our favourite memories.

And if you can , and can luck into a roll call member sharing, take the private taxi from their private dock to the ship. It is truly an unbelievable trip :)

And of course, you can take a water taxi to the hotel once you have done the land part. It worked out great.

We still look back and remember that time with huge smiles. "Hotels" (it's not a hotel -it's palazzo) like that are few and far between. I did do a review on tripadvisor as well ;)

Have fun

Please do share what hotel you are talking about in Venice .:D

You are assuming that every cruise has Cruise Critic members on it.

Actually no. I was referring to people who had "joined" the roll call, posted "I'm sailing" and never to be heard from again. If people "join", then IMO and only MO, to me they are members of CC and are interested in gaining info for their cruise,

Roll Calls Generally:

I joined a roll call for my upcoming cruise in November. It was primarily a group who had cruised together in the past. It was very difficult to become involved in the roll call with the daily conversations among those who knew each other. These are probably nice people, but this roll call was not a good fit for me, so I left the roll call. Roll calls can be a 'mixed bag', no matter the cruise line.

I'm getting ready to book a 28 day cruise on HAL (my longest cruise ever!) and I will join that roll call once booked. Hoping to gain information from those more well-traveled on all of the ports which will all be new to me.

Roll call activity varies. It really depends upon how much people participate, etc.

My last number of roll calls have been VERY busy. Prinsendam was over 5,000 posts and the mods closed it after our cruise so no one posted on it as it was taking up "so much space". LOL.

Our Westerdam cruises were all really busy as well.

My upcoming cruise is slower but it is certainly still a ways up and starting to pick up. It's early so not a lot of people have "signed on" yet. I find about 3-6 months out a lot of people come on.

I agree with the previous pet peeves posted - OP's that start the roll call and don't even tell us they have cancelled (happened on my Westerdam Sail a Way roll call) and "just" talking about tours. There's a half way point between that and chatting a bout what you did all day. LOL.

Every roll call needs a spark plug or two. So, maybe you need to be one on yours? Just a suggestion.

I think you may be onto something with Westerdam roll calls Jacqui. All of our Westerdam roll calls have been pretty busy also. Could be that Westerdam has a pretty large fan club- I know she is our favorite ship. Many, many we've talked to on board feel the same. To me Westerdam still has the "old HAL" feel- hard to explain but it just feels like that. Perhaps the decor that isn't "over the top" helps.

Would be interesting tho see the percentage of repeat cruisers on each of the ships broken down by age groups. I'm sure HAL uses these numbers when deciding where to position ships.

Please do share what hotel you are talking about in Venice .:D

Palazzo Abadessa. Absolutely wonderful IMO. We adored it and it was worth every penny :) The hosts are helpful, charming and yet, unobtrusive :)

Here is the link to reviews, including ours.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187870-d286033-Reviews-Hotel_Palazzo_Abadessa-Venice_Veneto.html

Roll Calls Generally:

I joined a roll call for my upcoming cruise in November. It was primarily a group who had cruised together in the past. It was very difficult to become involved in the roll call with the daily conversations among those who knew each other. These are probably nice people, but this roll call was not a good fit for me, so I left the roll call. Roll calls can be a 'mixed bag', no matter the cruise line.

I'm getting ready to book a 28 day cruise on HAL (my longest cruise ever!) and I will join that roll call once booked. Hoping to gain information from those more well-traveled on all of the ports which will all be new to me.

Hello SteelMagnolia9, I am sailing with you as well, and withdrew from it as well as I see the same things in the roll call as you do. It's very disappointing not to be able to share upcoming events with people who have the same cruise. I would like to meet up with you at sailaway or private message me....

Roll Calls Generally:

On my last Maasdam sailing, many of the posters were previously acquainted, having done the same sailing together in previous years. I found them welcoming and more than willing to include me, a solo, in activities and tours. Give the members of your roll call a chance, you may be surprised.

We have experienced very useful and helpful roll calls I think mainly because we tend to take longer cruises. I usually book a couple of excursions and ask for some people to join us and join excursions that others have booked. I find them useful for discussing things to do in ports that are new to us or to share info on ports we are familiar with. However, some meet and greets are better than others. A big problem is that you may want to discuss upcoming excursions with members you have only met online but you are actually competing with HAL in a space provided by HAL. So that is a no no, akin to discussing your TA on CC. Some roll call members understand that and some do not.

On my last Maasdam sailing, many of the posters were previously acquainted, having done the same sailing together in previous years. I found them welcoming and more than willing to include me, a solo, in activities and tours. Give the members of your roll call a chance, you may be surprised.

Hi, I was on the same roll call as SteelMagnolia9 and encountered the same thing. I came on 8 months ago full of excitement and looking forward to planning events. However, I was quickly shot down, as the "group" had multiple cruises before this one and had commented that they did not "live" on CC and planning activities was long into the future. I noticed some were on as many as seven roll calls at once. When SteelMagnolia9 asked for insight on the islands, I was the one who came for with information. Others, had planned "moonlight sails" with themselves. Some who came onto the roll call later, inquired about joining the sail and was told it was full.

I also excused myself for the same reason, so for this cruise for me. I will just sail, enjoy myself and move on.

Someone this week asked what the Meet and Greet was about and waited a few days before some posted a few lines about it.

Someone also posted directed to me that I was full of "BS" and was an intrusion to the group.

Nuff said about this particular roll call.

Someone also posted directed to me that I was full of "BS" and was an intrusion to the group.

Wow! That's just awful![emoji45] I think withdrawing from that particular roll call was smart!

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, I was on the same roll call as SteelMagnolia9 and encountered the same thing. I came on 8 months ago full of excitement and looking forward to planning events. However, I was quickly shot down, as the "group" had multiple cruises before this one and had commented that they did not "live" on CC and planning activities was long into the future. I noticed some were on as many as seven roll calls at once. When SteelMagnolia9 asked for insight on the islands, I was the one who came for with information. Others, had planned "moonlight sails" with themselves. Some who came onto the roll call later, inquired about joining the sail and was told it was full.

I also excused myself for the same reason, so for this cruise for me. I will just sail, enjoy myself and move on.

Someone this week asked what the Meet and Greet was about and waited a few days before some posted a few lines about it.

WOW! That is rude and uncalled for!!!

Roll calls are for everyone and NO ONE has the RIGHT to say that type of thing.

I totally get that everyone does not get on a roll call every day so there may be a delay in replying but....

Roll calls are not supposed to exclusionary (is that a word?). Nor make someone feel like they don't belong.

Everyone should be welcome and feel welcome.

I feel so badly for you.

I have never red triangled a roll call post but that post that you are full of BS deserved a red triangle.

I don't blame you for getting off but trust me, most roll calls are really not like that, honest.

Most are congenial with all kinds of different personalities. If we were all the same life would be boring, right?

do give another one a try. I have met so many great people through roll calls that I might not have met. It's worth another try on your next cruise ;)

Again, this is NOT what roll calls are about. GRRRRR.

Wow! That's just awful![emoji45] I think withdrawing from that particular roll call was smart!

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOW! That is rude and uncalled for!!!

Roll calls are for everyone and NO ONE has the RIGHT to say that type of thing.

I totally get that everyone does not get on a roll call every day so there may be a delay in replying but....

Roll calls are not supposed to exclusionary (is that a word?). Nor make someone feel like they don't belong.

Everyone should be welcome and feel welcome.

I feel so badly for you.

I have never red triangled a roll call post but that post that you are full of BS deserved a red triangle.

I don't blame you for getting off but trust me, most roll calls are really not like that, honest.

Most are congenial with all kinds of different personalities. If we were all the same life would be boring, right?

do give another one a try. I have met so many great people through roll calls that I might not have met. It's worth another try on your next cruise ;)

Again, this is NOT what roll calls are about. GRRRRR.

Thank you both for your support. I am sure Steelmagnolia9 can verify this. I actually have a saved copy of that particular post, but I am sure I cannot show you because of a type of censure.

I have been cruising over 25 years, and am more than happy to share my experience with new cruisers as well as well experienced cruisers.

That is absolutely horrible. I have been on roll calls were some of us have cruised together before, but we have been so careful to welcome all input and we are all just part of one big group on a roll call. After all, that's how you get to make new cruising friends.:)

What I absolutely abhor is when someone rushes to start a roll call way, way ahead of the cruise, and then is selective on who they "welcome" to the roll call and make it clear they are "in charge". I've unfortunately had that happen several times, but mostly those roll calls pretty much die.

that is absolutely horrible. I have been on roll calls were some of us have cruised together before, but we have been so careful to welcome all input and we are all just part of one big group on a roll call. After all, that's how you get to make new cruising friends.:)

what i absolutely abhor is when someone rushes to start a roll call way, way ahead of the cruise, and then is selective on who they "welcome" to the roll call and make it clear they are "in charge". I've unfortunately had that happen several times, but mostly those roll calls pretty much die.

amen!

Over the years and many roll calls I've learned to be thankful for the good ones. It usually takes a minimum of 2 chatty posters, and probably only 50% of mine have had that.

Pet peeves: the OP who starts the roll call, cancels the cruise and never posts a "so long"; and roll calls that turn into private tour gathering with no interaction otherwise.

Agree. I used them in the past to get info about places we would be visiting and often lots of valuable insights from locals in the area who were also cruising from their home ports. I like to share book suggestions, movies, video links about the context of where we will be cruising and agree it takes at last two chatty ones to keep that kind of link going.

Using roll calls primarily to make local tour arrangements to the exclusion of all other chit chat became a turn off for me too.

Last straw was when these non-HAL shore excursion folks who took over the entire roll call got testy about HAL not accommodating their meet and greet demands. While they were all trying to stiff HAL out of shore excursion revenues.

Whatever. That did not work for me. :confused: But no question, they do serve this function for many others.

Edited by OlsSalt

Agree. I used them in the past to get info about places we would be visiting and often lots of valuable insights from locals in the area who were also cruising from their home ports. I like to share book suggestions, movies, video links about the context of where we will be cruising and agree it takes at last two chatty ones to keep that kind of link going.

Using roll calls primarily to make local tour arrangements to the exclusion of all other chit chat became a turn off for me too.

Last straw was when these non-HAL shore excursion folks who took over the entire roll call got testy about HAL not accommodating their meet and greet demands. While they were all trying to stiff HAL out of shore excursion revenues.

Whatever. That did not work for me. :confused: But no question, they do serve this function for many others.

Huh???:confused:

HAL didn't do the meet and greet? Or were their "demands" something different?

I've never had a problem organizing a meet and greet or even special luncheons in the PG for the roll call.

Stiff HAl out of shore excursions is another discussion all together.

When HAL offers their "small group tours". I consider them. I don't like getting on a bus with 40 passengers where someone always arrives late because the rules don't apply to them. so we don't do a lot of HAL tours for VALID reasons.

But HAL makes a ton of $ of us between the Master Chef's Dinner, Master Cellar's dinner, wine packages and the list goes on.

I constantly see people on these boards trying to figure out how to use their obc while we always have a substantial bill. Don't regret one dime of it, but just because you don't want to be on a 40 pax tour bus with that awful sticker on your shirt advertising you are a tourist is not a bad thing. Nor does it mean you don't spend money on the ship and add to their profit. We certainly do some HAL tours here and there but, past experience has taught me that while it is the simplest solution, it is not always the best.

YMMV

Edited by kazu

That is absolutely horrible. I have been on roll calls were some of us have cruised together before, but we have been so careful to welcome all input and we are all just part of one big group on a roll call. After all, that's how you get to make new cruising friends.:)

What I absolutely abhor is when someone rushes to start a roll call way, way ahead of the cruise, and then is selective on who they "welcome" to the roll call and make it clear they are "in charge". I've unfortunately had that happen several times, but mostly those roll calls pretty much die.

+1 - or starts a roll call and doesn't even have the courtesy tosay they have cancelled and not coming.

We don't usually do many roll calls. One time on a roll call one poster was telling everyone they must talk to everyone. Sometimes you have more in common with a few people so you tend to talk to them. We tend to meet a lot of people on board that we socialize with so we don't miss participating in roll calls.

Edited by cruise_tyme_2016

Just curious -- were some posts deleted from this roll call? I just went back and read through it (yes all 30 some pages) -- did not see anything really offensive? The one remark made about "not living on CC" was to make the person who was handling the cruise webpage/spreadsheet feel better about not getting around to updating it as regularly as some seemed to think she should. :confused:

Of course, if posts were removed, that would explained my confusion. But sometimes people really personalize and/or misinterpret comments in this site (and, I'm sure, on other sites as well).