What happens with a February cruise if the weather is too bad to get to it?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

I have an Antarctica cruise booked on Feb. 5, and am just wondering about the possibility of bad weather. Since I am PA, what happens if there is a significant snowstorm that would prevent me from getting to the airport? Another scenario is if the flight is canceled. I would suspect trip insurance does not provide for these sorts of situations unless the cruise itself were to be canceled which is obviously unlikely starting in BA. I guess I'll have to call Celebrity and discuss some of this.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Keith

We were on the February 15, 2015 Celebrity Antarctic sailing. That year there was a major storm which impacted most of eastern North America. When we docked in Ushuaia there was a line of folks with their passports in hand and their luggage waiting to board the Infinity. The Blu maitre 'd told us that those were the passengers who missed the embarkation port of Buenos Aires. There were about thirty passengers in line, and the Blu maitre 'd also told us he understood that it was fifteen cabins of passengers.

We always fly to our embarkation port several days early. And we simply loved Buenos Aires -- so much so that we are returning next March.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was considering leaving a few days early, but then found out that the flight schedule is such that we'd have to wait nearly 17 hours in the airport on debarkation day (ship arrives back in BA at 5:00 a.m. and most flights are 9-11 p.m.). So instead of getting there early before the cruise to do a bit of sightseeing, we are now thinking of taking the ship tour of BA with airport drop-off. If we do that, I'd rather not plan on arriving too early but probably getting there at least one day before embarkation would be good.

If you have one of several Chase credit cards and booked your travel on the card you will automatically get $10,000 trip interruption/cancelation insurance coverage for non refundable expenses -- this includes weather caused events. Even so if I were going from the East coast in the winter time I would most certainly plan on arriving at my destination two rather than one day early. We went to DC two years ago to pick up kids/grandkids to take them to Flprida and got caught by a snowstorm. Our Sunday AM flight turned into Monday at 10PM (and we were among the lucky ones).

If you have one of several Chase credit cards and booked your travel on the card you will automatically get $10,000 trip interruption/cancelation insurance coverage for non refundable expenses -- this includes weather caused events. Even so if I were going from the East coast in the winter time I would most certainly plan on arriving at my destination two rather than one day early. We went to DC two years ago to pick up kids/grandkids to take them to Flprida and got caught by a snowstorm. Our Sunday AM flight turned into Monday at 10PM (and we were among the lucky ones).

You may want to reread the fine print. If you choose to rebook your flight because the airline's offer of another flight will be too late (or another day) and/or your "assignment" to the flight of another airline may be in a different price range, whatever price differences you may encounter are not insured. The interruption coverage is only for expenses incurred while you are indisposed (meals, hotel, etc.)

BTW, if any delay is caused by your pre-existing medical condition, be aware that credit card insurance does not waive them- only comprehensive travel policies purchased w/I the allowable window from deposit do.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was considering leaving a few days early, but then found out that the flight schedule is such that we'd have to wait nearly 17 hours in the airport on debarkation day (ship arrives back in BA at 5:00 a.m. and most flights are 9-11 p.m.). So instead of getting there early before the cruise to do a bit of sightseeing, we are now thinking of taking the ship tour of BA with airport drop-off. If we do that, I'd rather not plan on arriving too early but probably getting there at least one day before embarkation would be good.

There is a lot more to see in BA than you will see on the debarkation tour. Plan to spend two nights in BA before the cruise. That will give you one day to arrive and one full day of sightseeing before boarding the third day. It also gives you a reasonable time to rebook your flight if it gets canceled because of weather. Do not take the chance of missing the entire cruise. Consider the extra time in BA as a reasonably priced "insurance" policy.