Upsell Hush - Squelch

mardi_boy

I won't start a new thread, but piggyback on this one. I was wondering if booking a Haven Suite was a bad idea since it seems everyone and their Uncle is getting an upsell to the Haven. I booked a Haven cabin months ago for my husbands 60th birthday, but I am beginning to think paying full price was a dumb move on my part. Granted I got 4 perks, but is there really that much value in the perks???

I was wondering if booking a Haven Suite was a bad idea since it seems everyone and their Uncle is getting an upsell to the Haven.

Not a bad idea at all. You got what you wanted (choice of stateroom) and didn't "hope" to get what you wanted. Remember, the number of people who don't get an upsell (but would like one) is larger than the number of people who do get one.

I booked a Haven cabin months ago for my husbands 60th birthday, but I am beginning to think paying full price was a dumb move on my part. Granted I got 4 perks, but is there really that much value in the perks???

Would you be willing to gamble a once in a lifetime event (60th birthday) on a "maybe" of getting the Haven? You did the right thing. Enjoy your cruise. :cool:

The purpose of this website is to share information to benefit other cruisers. Lots of great info, hints, pointers, etc. If we kept it to ourselves we would lose out the best part of the site and just have keyboard cowboy arguments everyday.

I won't start a new thread, but piggyback on this one. I was wondering if booking a Haven Suite was a bad idea since it seems everyone and their Uncle is getting an upsell to the Haven. I booked a Haven cabin months ago for my husbands 60th birthday, but I am beginning to think paying full price was a dumb move on my part. Granted I got 4 perks, but is there really that much value in the perks???

That all depends on what's important to you and if you're willing to take the gamble that you try to get an upsell, can't since they've all been sold and are unable to book a Haven at all since they're all gone now. If you're willing to take that risk, then you can most likely get a Haven for half the price they advertise it for on the site. I booked my Aug 20 Escape cruise 3 months back and the price dropped about $1200 on my minisuite... I got upgraded to a spa minisuite at no charge after pestering my PCC... then I spent an additional $4K on the Haven owner's suite. It's still 50% less than the suite was advertised for the day I booked. I got to keep my perks too... 50 photo package, $125 room credit, UBP.

Edited by Heronymous

I'm not on Facebook but I understand it's there as well.

You are right, it's on some Norwegian Facebook sites too. But again, the number of people on either CC or a NCL Facebook page is very small compared to the number of cruisers on any given ship or cruisers in general.

I'm amazed at the people that just book a vacation with no research or prep and then go, but there are thousands of them that do it.

Heck, my TA didn't even know there was an upsell number for NCL.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I was calling every few days and every time I called, I did get different answers as to when I should call back. Only when I was 29 days away were they willing to even ask for my reservation number.

Would one of you lovely people be kind enough to share the details of the upsell process for an NCL newbie? My first NCL cruise is in March on the Gem.

Thank you!

From what has been posted here in other threads upsells don't start until the 30 day mark.

You call, they ask for your reservation number, and they then tell you what they have available (if any) and the price. You can also ask the specific cabin number(s) they have available. If you like the price you give them your cc and it's non-refundable.

With an upsell you do keep what ever booking perks you had as of that day BUT you do not gain any additional booking perks that may be available. So for example if you had an ocean view or a mini-suite with 2 booking perks of say the UBP and 3 specialty dining meals and upsell to a suite or higher you do not get all the booking perks that a suite booking would get. However you do get the other suite perks such as a priority check-in, butler and concierge, breakfast and lunch at the suite restaurant, and priority disembarkation at the ports. If you originally booked an inside with one booking perk and upsell to say a balcony or a mini suite it's the same thing that you keep you original booking perk but don't gain the second perk that those who originally booked a balc or a min get.

Just did it a month ago about 4 days before my cruise on the Pearl, had a mini-suite, and had a choice between the Haven, Aft Penthouse, and the 2br Family Suite. Took the 2 br.

Also remember that upsells and upgrades are two different things.

Edited by jimsig

You are right, it's on some Norwegian Facebook sites too. But again, the number of people on either CC or a NCL Facebook page is very small compared to the number of cruisers on any given ship or cruisers in general.

I'm amazed at the people that just book a vacation with no research or prep and then go, but there are thousands of them that do it.

Heck, my TA didn't even know there was an upsell number for NCL.

It's not about not doing the research but being able to afford to stay in the the cabin of your choice wiithout needing the upsell.

It's not about not doing the research but being able to afford to stay in the the cabin of your choice wiithout needing the upsell.

I, and many others, can afford to stay in any Haven cabin of my or their choosing. What you really get down to is value for money.

The H6 that I stayed in last month was going for roughly 10 grand and I could have afforded that, but when I originally booked I didn't feel that the cabin or the experience would be worth paying that much. Fast forward to 16 days before our cruise and I was offered the H6 for $1500 more than my original fare. That was worth it to me. My experience, having paid what I paid, left me with the feeling that I got good value for my money.

All of that being said, I think you might have missed my original point. What I meant is that I'm amazed that more people aren't on sites like Cruise Critic to learn more about the ships and places they are going. I could never just book a cruise and then just show up for embarkation without doing my research.

Edited by sctexan

No, it's about playing chicken and betting they will drop prices to encourage people to move up, thus freeing up lower cost space that is easier to resell.

I hear where you are coming from. I feel the same way. We booked a trip where there are a ton of Haven suites still open....and I'm pretty sure that they will be open the month before our cruise....but I also don't want to sail w/out being in the Haven. It would be a completely different experience and based on a past cruise, I don't think our family would be happy in the mini-suite so I decided while in the end, it might cost me more, I wanted to be certain we were in the Haven....

I think all the whining and moaning about the Nickle and Diming on the NCL threads along with the fantastic reviews about how awful the food and service is should be enough to keep the demand down. Just jump on those boards and brag along with the posters about how you'll never sail NCL again and that anyone who has booked an NCL cruise is out of their mind for not choosing Carnival. If they keep that up then the NCL deals will keep popping up.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

You should not regret your decision, because you have a very special reason to have an amazing experience. I have done the upsell twice to the Haven, and mine is because of information that I learned here on cc. I have also been on the same ship every spring for the past 3 years, needed a new perspective.

My husband, who did not cruise with us in the spring, basically begged for us to be in the Haven, after hearing us rave and seeing pictures. Is it worth the retail price? Some will say yes, others will say no. I will not share my opinion, because that is another thread.

Keep sharing information!! I stumbled on to cc and thank everyone who keeps sharing information. Just when I think I have learned enough to cruise, someone shares new information that is helpful to all.

You should not regret your decision, because you have a very special reason to have an amazing experience. I have done the upsell twice to the Haven, and mine is because of information that I learned here on cc. .

how much and which room type did you get?

i hold out no hope for my cruise. only 4 haven spa left for october whereas over 10 are available for an august cruise i just researched. my guess is because they are much cheaper in october is why they are selling out and there wont be any left in 2 months.

however if a higher category have opens up at a 'reasonable' price i'd jump on it and throw all my planning out the window regarding what room etc id want. realizing upsellers cannot be choosy.

however if a higher category have opens up at a 'reasonable' price i'd jump on it and throw all my planning out the window regarding what room etc id want. realizing upsellers cannot be choosy.

If it makes you feel better, when I called to upsell I was given a choice of cabins all for the same price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

how much and which room type did you get?

i hold out no hope for my cruise. only 4 haven spa left for october whereas over 10 are available for an august cruise i just researched. my guess is because they are much cheaper in october is why they are selling out and there wont be any left in 2 months.

I got a 2bdroom in April and got an OS for August. In April the only offers were spa haven($750pp) and the 2bd(I called 17 days before sailing).$1000 pp extra- only two of us. I took the 2bd, because my daughter at 15 could not use the spa.

August only offered penthouse suite($1500 pp) and OS, called exactly 30 days before $2500 pp. I took it, because I booked a group(24 of us) and got tour credit of $1300. It is steep, but you live once! The 2 bedroom spoiled us. I looked at the difference and wanted space. There are 3 of us and you pay only for first 2 passengers.

I tried doing an upsell on my upcoming cruise; 12 days before the cruise, the offers were a courtyard penthouse for $1500 per person, or a 2-bedroom for $2000 per person. I thought about it, but $3000 extra is just more than I really can afford. It's a 14-day back-to-back, so it obviously wouldn't be cheap to upsell, but I'll try again next week and see if anything is open 3-4 days prior to sailing.

We've never done the Haven, so we'd be happy with our balcony, since we don't really know what we're missing. :)

Please, please everyone - let's hush up about the upsell process. Simple laws of supply an demand apply especially in the Haven. If more people learn about the process and start calling requesting upsells, it will increase demand. Higher demand for upsells will result in higher rates going forward. Higher rates are not good.

This happened in the past when everyone learned about aft balcony cabins. Once upon a time, these cabins were sold at standard balcony rates. Then, blammo, everyone figured em out, demand soared, and they were assigned a new category with much higher rates.

Please, I beg of you, be smart and stop disseminating information about the upsell process, timing, and 800 number. Let's try to control it and keep it our secret.

Thank you

And creating a thread about it certainly will not garner any further notice of it.... :confused: