Upsell Hush - Squelch

mardi_boy

Please, please everyone - let's hush up about the upsell process. Simple laws of supply an demand apply especially in the Haven. If more people learn about the process and start calling requesting upsells, it will increase demand. Higher demand for upsells will result in higher rates going forward. Higher rates are not good.

This happened in the past when everyone learned about aft balcony cabins. Once upon a time, these cabins were sold at standard balcony rates. Then, blammo, everyone figured em out, demand soared, and they were assigned a new category with much higher rates.

Please, I beg of you, be smart and stop disseminating information about the upsell process, timing, and 800 number. Let's try to control it and keep it our secret.

Thank you

Please, please everyone - let's hush up about the upsell process. Simple laws of supply an demand apply especially in the Haven. If more people learn about the process and start calling requesting upsells, it will increase demand. Higher demand for upsells will result in higher rates going forward. Higher rates are not good.

This happened in the past when everyone learned about aft balcony cabins. Once upon a time, these cabins were sold at standard balcony rates. Then, blammo, everyone figured em out, demand soared, and they were assigned a new category with much higher rates.

Please, I beg of you, be smart and stop disseminating information about the upsell process, timing, and 800 number. Let's try to control it and keep it our secret.

Thank you

Thankyou for this dissemination thread:rolleyes:

As said, welcome to cruise critic. They jacked Haven prices last year and now - my guess only - is they aren't selling them. So the upsell stories started popping up around the first of this year on a regular basis. And I agree about the aft cabins, NCL made those a new category around 2011.

I'm sorry- why would you want to squelch this info? NCL regularly sends out upsell emails. TA s probably know about upsells as well. I find posts like this A bit creepy. No one is entitled to an upsell or to a Haven suite at cut rate prices .

But everyone should have an equal shot at getting one- not a special , exclusive sub grouping of cc members.

1 800-625-4309 is the upsell number.

Edited by Annmeat

I disagree; I don't think the upsells will result in higher Haven rates. It may increase the upsell prices 'tho and I don't think that's a bad thing since I book them upfront.

IMO, the Haven prices are too high and the upsell prices too low. Maybe they'll find a balance in the future.

Increasing upsell prices would mean increased profits. Just think, maybe they would lower the bottled water cost<g>

Thank you

I disagree; I don't think the upsells will result in higher Haven rates. It may increase the upsell prices 'tho and I don't think that's a bad thing since I book them upfront.

IMO, the Haven prices are too high and the upsell prices too low. Maybe they'll find a balance in the future.

Increasing upsell prices would mean increased profits. Just think, maybe they would lower the bottled water cost<g>

I agree. I think the upsell prices are too low and they really do need to be a little closer to the price of Haven suites. A discount yes but a give away no.

I'm sorry- why would you want to squelch this info? NCL regularly sends out upsell emails. TA s probably know about upsells as well. I find posts like this A bit creepy. No one is entitled to an upsell or to a Haven suite at cut rate prices .

But everyone should have an equal shot at getting one- not a special , exclusive sub grouping of cc members.

1 800-625-4309 is the upsell number.

Thank you for the number ;)

They are adapting the "Invicta" model to the Haven (and to the UBP). Grossly inflate the retail price, but sell most of the product through discount channels. People will be eager to buy because the deal is so much cheaper than the imaginary full price (and a few people will actually pay the full price, which is even better).

They need people to keep spreading the word and calling about upsells, just like they need people to keep walking by the Invicta watches in the Atrium (30% off! Today only! :D)

They are adapting the "Invicta" model to the Haven (and to the UBP). Grossly inflate the retail price, but sell most of the product through discount channels. People will be eager to buy because the deal is so much cheaper than the imaginary full price (and a few people will actually pay the full price, which is even better).

They need people to keep spreading the word and calling about upsells, just like they need people to keep walking by the Invicta watches in the Atrium (30% off! Today only! :D)

This is a truly beautiful analogy!

If I've learned anything about this forum it's that most of the participants lack any understanding of economics.

Most any forum would merge all these upsell topics. CC allows these to grow in quantity and take over the boards. It ruins discussion too.

Even if the dubious premise of the original post were correct, I disagree firmly with the sentiment.

This forum's highest and best use is sharing information. Just because one has learned something doesn't make it right to pull up the ladder so nobody else can get into the boat. If one has ever gotten a tip from these boards that made for a better vacation, it's not right to start policing what others can share. In my view, at least.

Thank you

While I agree it isn't wise to go out of our way to make the process work against us, how fair is it that you know about the process but want to keep it secret from others? At one time you didn't know about it either, now you do. Why should others not be allowed to benefit from it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Besides the number of people who are CC members is an extremely small percentage of all cruisers so I doubt that the upsell number is going to soon be overwhelmed with more callers than they usually have.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

This forum's highest and best use is sharing information.

I agree...but with the occasional bit of humor thrown in. ;)

Just because one has learned something doesn't make it right to pull up the ladder so nobody else can get into the boat. If one has ever gotten a tip from these boards that made for a better vacation, it's not right to start policing what others can share. In my view, at least.

Imagine if "bear3412" never made that BA/GA spreadsheet. I'm thankful for the information shared and I'm glad to do the same. I'm not a "Ooooohhh, I know that the balcony on cabin xxxx is larger than the rest...I'll keep it a secret so that when I book for next year, it will be available again." kind of person.

If a room is good for a particular reason, I'll share the info.

If a room is poor for a particular reason, I'll share the info.

It wasn't that long ago that upset requests were forbidden.

NCL refused to take calls for upset requests. They had to call you for the upset and ask you if you are interested. Not the other way around.

It wasn't that long ago that upset requests were forbidden.

NCL refused to take calls for upset requests. They had to call you for the upset and ask you if you are interested. Not the other way around.

I still think they would prefer to not hear about "upset requests". Those can only go negative quickly [emoji3]

I still think they would prefer to not hear about "upset requests". Those can only go negative quickly [emoji3]

Lol.. Yeah, if you want an "upset request" just call my PCC. She's responsive until she's billed your card, then she stops responding to emails and calls. My last one did great by me but he left the company, the good ones always seem to leave :(

-Keith

I'm calling on Monday to try for an up sell!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was calling every few days and every time I called, I did get different answers as to when I should call back. Only when I was 29 days away were they willing to even ask for my reservation number. The cost for the upsells was pretty high, but since this cruise is our wedding and honeymoon combined for two weeks I figured the cost to upgrade from a mini suite to a haven owners sweet for $2K per person was worth it... Then I found out afterwards that I wasn't getting the room I expected.. I thought I was getting the deluxe owners suite, not the regular one... when I had the owners suite on the GEM, it was what they call the Deluxe on the Escape. I assumed it was the same, and it's totally my fault since I didn't check the room number. We'll still have an amazing time.. but keep in mind upsells are expensive the farther away you are from your sail date.