tips for independence of the seas

Hi everyone just joined the site today. I am going on a cruise with my family on June 3rd 2017. Two weeks round the med. I have cruised before on island escape years ago, but I don't think that will come close to independence of the seas. My daughter booked us for 8.30 dining. Does this mean we have to be at main dining at 8.30 every night or can we dine in other restaurants at other times. I don't want to miss any shows. Thanks in advance

Hi everyone just joined the site today. I am going on a cruise with my family on June 3rd 2017. Two weeks round the med. I have cruised before on island escape years ago, but I don't think that will come close to independence of the seas. My daughter booked us for 8.30 dining. Does this mean we have to be at main dining at 8.30 every night or can we dine in other restaurants at other times. I don't want to miss any shows. Thanks in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you want to dine in the Main Dining Room, then 8:30pm is your only choice for dinner.

However, if you want to dine in one of the extra cost specialy restaurants, or you want to use the Windjammer (buffet) or Cafe Promenade or Sorrento's, you can go anytime they are open. You might need reservations at the specialty restaurants.

You won't need to miss any shows...you will go to the early shows, before you eat...and the late-night shows begin well after your dinner is over! No worries about that!

Yes, you can dine elsewhere if you prefer! If you decide on a specialty restaurant, you can make reservations when you decide.....it's not crucial to do it in advance.

They work it out that everyone who wants to can see the shows. First night there will be a shorter "welcome aboard" show, - just the one that night, but still timed that both early and late sittings can attend.

We always go for the 8.30 sitting; if you've been ashore it gives plenty of time to get back onboard, shower dress and enjoy a relaxed cocktail before dinner. The early sitting always seems a rush to get ready.

Hi, Ive also joined today! We are off round the med on 13th August on the Independance of the seas....we have cruised a few times but not on the RCL ....Now are boys are 14 & 17, they dont want to come ashore most times but we had to drag them along in the past. My question is, can they stay onboard with out us?

Many thanks :eek:

Hi, Ive also joined today! We are off round the med on 13th August on the Independance of the seas....we have cruised a few times but not on the RCL ....Now are boys are 14 & 17, they dont want to come ashore most times but we had to drag them along in the past. My question is, can they stay onboard with out us?

Many thanks :eek:

Yes, they "can" but who is going to supervise them?

Yes, they "can" but who is going to supervise them?

I don't wish to demean the person who asked the question. But, who supervises many of the kids onboard?

I admit, many behave... but some don't. Having an adult on board doesn't mean the child is being supervised.

:eek:

I don't wish to demean the person who asked the question. But, who supervises many of the kids onboard?

I admit, many behave... but some don't. Having an adult on board doesn't mean the child is being supervised.

:eek:

That would be me! LOL :p

I dont want to leave them unsupervised, so I rang the RCL... (in good old US of A I may add....it redirected me!!)....and have been assured that they can use the "Adventure Ocean Program" where they will have numerous activities and entertainment with staff present, plus, if for one minute I couldnt trust my boys to behave I would "drag" them ashore with us! Hope that this useful to any other passengers.

That would be me! LOL :p

I dont want to leave them unsupervised, so I rang the RCL... (in good old US of A I may add....it redirected me!!)....and have been assured that they can use the "Adventure Ocean Program" where they will have numerous activities and entertainment with staff present, plus, if for one minute I couldnt trust my boys to behave I would "drag" them ashore with us! Hope that this useful to any other passengers.

We are also on that cruise-without our son this time. When we did cruise with him and other families we left him onboard knowing he would behave(he was 15 at the time), and we only left for a few hours.

Only a few weeks to go to our sailing!

• 4 weeks later...

You can go off without your kids but they can't go off without you! Nowadays I'm sure they will go off with you to get the free internet in some cafe's. When you wander around all the teens from the ship are glued to their phones.

• 2 months later...