No Longer Serve Lobster Tail?

danny8826

Not sure if this is on every journey's cruise, but we did a 9 day journeys's cruise this past May. There was a 3rd elegant night (80's throwback day or whatever) and the lobster was served that night, or for 2nd time on cruise. Was the only reason we dealt with the MDR that night.

FWIW

Yes - we did the B2B Journey cruises on the Pride (10 day and 11 day for a total of 21 days) and were served lobster tails 4 times due to the throwback sea day with the Captain's celebration and old style formal night.

The typical (no extra charge) "elegant night" lobster tail is only available on cruises of 6 nights or longer.

You can order a lobster tail from the Steakhouse Selections portion of the MDR menu any night for an upcharge of $20. I have not had it, but I have been told that it is better than what you get on elegant night.

And I believe the difference is that the Steakhouse selection is a "real Maine lobster," (or close to it), while the MDR is a "lobster tail," - eg, some other crustacean but not necessarily a premium lobster.

Sheepishly I'll admit having 2nds and thirds in the MDR...

Thank you. That's too bad because we are thinking of a short cruise, but would be nice to have lobster. Guess, we need to reconsider.

Pay the extra for the tail from the Steakhouse OR go to the steakhouse and pay the $35 per person .... You will NOT be sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cruzin2paradise09

And I believe the difference is that the Steakhouse selection is a "real Maine lobster," (or close to it), while the MDR is a "lobster tail," - eg, some other crustacean but not necessarily a premium lobster.

Don't be embarrassed! Husband and I should be, and are, now in hindsight, as to our very 1st cruise. No cruise critic then, so we were clueless as to what to expect. We sat down at a table for 4. Our dinner mates were way older and from somewhere, I never knew where, as hardly any English. We are probably, older now, than they were then. You could see they were simply "appalled" at our ugly american behavior. We ordered several sides, then lobster AND prime rib. Not knowing both entrees would have there own sides. And we ordered at least 3 more tails each, which, again came with sides. YIKES! Lots of food. We managed to make a pretty big dent in it though. That was the only night we ate in the MDR, which I am sure was a blessing to that couple! It wasn't noticeable how salty the lobster was while we ate it but we must have drank a gallon of water each before bed. Nowadays we are content with just one each, though still get the prime rib. They aren't that great, but are worth ordering. I have lots of OBC for 9/16 cruise so may break down and try the steakhouse or at least the lobster tail you pay for in the MDR, since so many say it is superior. :)

Maybe from the port you are cruising out of will have a Red Lobster. You can go eat, have your "so called lobster" and get on the ship and be happy.:)

Whether, you are being sarcastic or funny, you have a point. Many years ago, I worked in a "famous for fresh seafood" restaurant in Miami. What a joke! I watched seafood delivered there from Mexico! When tourists asked me, on the street, where to find fresh seafood for CHEAP, I use to tell them to go to Red Lobster, as it is consistent, and not expensive. Where I worked was "fresh-frozen", at best. We did though, have live whole lobsters in a tank, largest I have ever seen. There was a certain nationality that would come in and buy one, that, I swear, that one claw was as big as a dinner plate. And for some reason, they did not eat the claws. Oh, happy day, for the server, as we were very helpful in getting that offensive thing away from their table! Chow down, yum!! :D

Whether, you are being sarcastic or funny, you have a point. Many years ago, I worked in a "famous for fresh seafood" restaurant in Miami. What a joke! I watched seafood delivered there from Mexico! When tourists asked me, on the street, where to find fresh seafood for CHEAP, I use to tell them to go to Red Lobster, as it is consistent, and not expensive. Where I worked was "fresh-frozen", at best. We did though, have live whole lobsters in a tank, largest I have ever seen. There was a certain nationality that would come in and buy one, that, I swear, that one claw was as big as a dinner plate. And for some reason, they did not eat the claws. Oh, happy day, for the server, as we were very helpful in getting that offensive thing away from their table! Chow down, yum!! :D

AAAH! The claws are the best part! If they sold Maine lobster claws in the MDR, I'd be the sucker who has to buy one every night :eek:

Please, no one pass that "brilliant" suggestion on to JH :cool:

Edited by VASOXFANN

Steakhouse is Maine broiled lobster tail. 3 halves. Which is one half more than the MDR. :p However much better. IMHO

I would love to see them serve a whole lobster! Complete with bib and nut crackers!! :D

Usually the MDR is listed as Maine lobster tail. If it does not say Maine it is usually the spiny variety.

Edited by Bookbug53

Thank you. That's too bad because we are thinking of a short cruise, but would be nice to have lobster. Guess, we need to reconsider.

I mean they are just frozen lobster tails, if its a cruise you want to go on, go. Pony up $14 when you get back and get them at the store.

They tout it as broiled Maine lobster but it's a spiny lobster.

It will say Maine lobster when that is what it is. If it is the spiny variety it will simply say 'lobster'.

I have come across both on cruises though the spiny variety just once.

It will say Maine lobster when that is what it is. If it is the spiny variety it will simply say 'lobster'.

I have come across both on cruises though the spiny variety just once.

Sorry, I disagree. I've seen them serve a Maine lobster and it's huge (from the Steakhouse). I'm a diver and have gotten many spiny lobsters and they are the same, just like the one I bought at Publix today.

Lobster tails are served on the first formal night on 5 day and longer cruises, no longer served on 4 day cruises. stopped several months ago.

I just told my daughter this a couple of weeks ago, and she was disappointed because she was looking forward to it. Oh well...

Sorry, I disagree. I've seen them serve a Maine lobster and it's huge (from the Steakhouse). I'm a diver and have gotten many spiny lobsters and they are the same, just like the one I bought at Publix today.

I would love to get a whole lobster on a ship. As long as it was Maine lobster as the claws are the best part. I have just never seen it on any ship. Which one was this on? Did they have the claws? Or was it a spiny variety?

Are you saying spiny and Maine (North Atlantic) are the same? they are quite different.

"There are two primary types of lobster sold in the United States. The "true" American Lobster, and the spiny lobster. People commonly refer to the American Lobster as the Maine Lobster. Spiny lobsters, also known as rock lobsters, are a family of about 45 species of achelate crustaceans. Spiny lobsters are also called crayfish, sea crayfish or crawfish. Although they superficially resemble true lobsters in terms of overall shape, and having a hard carapace and exoskeleton, the two are not closely related. Spiny lobsters can be easily distinguished from true lobsters by their very long, thick, spiny antennae, and by their complete lack of claws (chelae); true lobsters have much smaller antennae and claws on the first three pairs of legs, with the first being particularly enlarged. Like true lobsters, however, spiny lobsters are edible and are an economically significant food source; they are the biggest food export of the Bahamas. Spiny lobsters are also found off the coast of Florida and California.

The difference in taste between the spiny lobster and the Maine lobster is significant. The spiny lobster is much more mild and bland tasting, being quite close to tasteless. The Maine lobster has a very pronounced, succulent taste that is somewhat on the sweet side."

"What is a legal size lobster

The State of Maine has special laws that are designed to protect our lobster fishery for years to come. We use a special gauge to measure the lobsters carapace (body). There are both minimum and maximum size measurements. The minimum size is designed to make sure that all lobsters are mature enough to breed at least once before they are harvested. The maximum size limit is designed to protect the breeding stock. A minimum size lobster will weigh around 1 lb., while a maximum size lobster will weigh between 3-4 lbs. Maine is the only state to protect the resource like this. If you are offered a smaller or larger lobster than this, you can guarantee it is not a genuine Maine Lobster."

No self respecting lobsterman in Maine goes to the grocer for a lobster.

Edited by Bookbug53

I prefer the tail. I do not like the claws.

A couple of Maine lobster details:

The green stuff is the liver (tomalley). It was safe to eat, but is becoming less so. The liver is a filter. Tomalley suffers from the same issue as deer liver.

The red stuff in some lobster tails is roe. It is not red while the lobster is alive. It is black. If the roe is black, the lobster is undercooked.

The lobster's blood is clear. It turns white when cooked.

The best way to get the meat out of the small legs under the lobster is with a rolling pin. All 8 can be rolled at once.

The female lobster has bigger tails and smaller claws than the male. No, I am not making this up.

You can tell a male from the female by looking under the tail near the body. The male will have 2 stiff fins and the female will have all feathery fins. Again, I am not kidding.

You can tell if the lobster was fresh when it was boiled by how tightly the tail is curled when served. A fresh lobster will have a very tightly curled tail like a shrimp. Do not eat a boiled lobster that has a tail that lays flat when it is served. That lobster was dead before it was boiled. Lobsters go bad very fast as the die. Again, the operative word here is "boiled". I am not a chef. I am not talking about baked or however the fancy places cook it.

Is everyone still hungry?

Just FYI.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

Still can't find any ship featuring a whole lobster in any steakhouse. Looked at old and current menus. Just broiled Maine tails and they would not qualify as huge by anyone's standard. I have never seen it on a steakhouse menu when I have been there.

Do you remember what ship this happened on?

Still can't find any ship featuring a whole lobster in any steakhouse. Looked at old and current menus. Just broiled Maine tails and they would not qualify as huge by anyone's standard. I have never seen it on a steakhouse menu when I have been there.

Do you remember what ship this happened on?

Pride.