No Longer Serve Lobster Tail?

danny8826

I think Carnival was one of the last to remove the lobster tails from their short cruises. I know on Royal there's no lobster tails on short cruises, on NCL there's no lobster tails, on Disney, there's no lobster tails on any cruise shorter than 7 nights. I don't know about short cruises on Celebrity because they are pretty rare but since lobster tails are served on their second "Chic" night, I'm guessing that there's no lobster tails on their short cruises either.

I have only had the spiny lobster served once on my cruises. It certainly will not say 'Maine' lobster on the menu if it is not. That would be a legal issue Carnival would not want to deal with.

And I would rather have no lobster than the spiny wanna be. :)

Solution: don't order it-more for those of us who enjoy it. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They serve spiny florida lobster, not Maine...there is a difference. BUT, I still order two servings on lobster night...florida lobster is better than no lobster.:D

I have only had the spiny lobster served once on my cruises. It certainly will not say 'Maine' lobster on the menu if it is not. That would be a legal issue Carnival would not want to deal with.

And I would rather have no lobster than the spiny wanna be. :)

I tried to attach a link to a picture of a very current menu. A filter took it out. Suffice it to say, it says Maine lobster. I did not have spiny lobster. I should try it some day... I guess.

The best advice is the one above my post here. There is so much good food on Carnival, if there is a choice you (I) do not like, pick another one. Easy. I will.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

Lobster is basic food found in any grocery store. It's not a perk.

The lobsters in the grocery store, while alive in the tank, aren't "fresh". They have been out of the ocean for who knows how long and the there is a huge difference in taste versus those that were caught this morning and cooked this evening. Fresh Maine lobster exists only in Maine. I won't buy lobster from the grocery store or in a restaurant outside of Maine but I usually enjoy the lobster I get on a cruise if for no other reason than I didn't pay any extra for it. Does it compare to the fresh lobster roll I had yesterday on Beals Island (at Bayview Takeout where the lobster roll was voted the best in Maine & Massachusetts by USA Today)? No way but under the circumstances, it's just fine.

As several others have posted, I'm also currently in Maine, have Maine in my blood going back to the 1600's, but am also from away. It's a Maine thing. :D

The lobsters in the grocery store' date=' while alive in the tank, aren't "fresh". They have been out of the ocean for who knows how long and the there is a huge difference in taste versus those that were caught this morning and cooked this evening. Fresh Maine lobster exists only in Maine. I won't buy lobster from the grocery store or in a restaurant outside of Maine but I usually enjoy the lobster I get on a cruise if for no other reason than I didn't pay any extra for it. Does it compare to the fresh lobster roll I had yesterday on Beals Island (at Bayview Takeout where the lobster roll was voted the best in Maine & Massachusetts by USA Today)? No way but under the circumstances, it's just fine.

As several others have posted, I'm also currently in Maine, have Maine in my blood going back to the 1600's, but am also from away. It's a Maine thing. :D[/quote']

No one was comparing them though and 90% of us dont have that option.

Anytime the subject of lobster is brought up though, no doubt we will have our New England friends tell us how much more superior their "fresh off the boat" whole Maine lobster is though :D

I have had "fresh off the boat" spiny lobster in the Keys and when cooked properly, they are pretty darn good.

Edited by ryano

Go to the grocery and get one, they aren't that expensive.

Lobster is basic food found in any grocery store. It's not a perk.

If it is inexpensive and basic, then why discontinue serving them on shorter cruises where it is something people enjoy and look forward to having? Hamburgers are inexpensive and basic, how about they discontinue offering that unless you pay more?

No one was comparing them though and 90% of us dont have that option.

Anytime the subject of lobster is brought up though, no doubt we will have our New England friends tell us how much more superior their "fresh off the boat" whole Maine lobster is though :D

I have had "fresh off the boat" spiny lobster in the Keys and when cooked properly, they are pretty darn good.

Am one, that doesn't an option to compare, at this stage of my life.. I have had lobster all over the world. Some good, some not so much. And I liked the "spiny" in Florida. As far as Carnival, some have been WAY too salty, or just fine. Who knows, who cares? I always get the prime rib on lobster night to go with it. If the lobster is good, I get another, if not... Lots of other choices.:)

I'm not sure what the problem is. You're on a ship in the ocean..they should be pulling lobsters in daily.. :)

it's a cruise ship, not a fishing vessel. :rolleyes:

if they do decide to turn it into a fishing vessel, are you volunteering to man the ropes. :cool:

Because he doesn't want to? What further justification is needed?

exactly. why do some people here think they can decide what is or is not important to others. if a person doesn't want to sail because they can't get mountain dew on board, so be it. if they don't want to sail because of no lobster, that's their prerogative. things that we think are important to us they probably couldn't care about either.

If it is inexpensive and basic, then why discontinue serving them on shorter cruises where it is something people enjoy and look forward to having? Hamburgers are inexpensive and basic, how about they discontinue offering that unless you pay more?

by taking them off the 3/4 night cruises, they have cut the servings in half by only serving lobster once a week instead of twice a week.

Not sure what you mean. I've never been on a cruise with lobster 2 nights.

They actually cut the servings by more than half.

Previously on the 3 / 4 cruises it was served twice a week (on the 3 day and on the 4 day cruise; 1x per cruise, unlimited orders). Now it is not served on either except available at a $20 per order charge.

so is lobster available on the five day cruises????:confused:

The typical (no extra charge) "elegant night" lobster tail is only available on cruises of 6 nights or longer.

You can order a lobster tail from the Steakhouse Selections portion of the MDR menu any night for an upcharge of $20. I have not had it, but I have been told that it is better than what you get on elegant night.

Edited by Schoifmom

The typical (no extra charge) "elegant night" lobster tail is only available on cruises of 6 nights or longer.

You can order a lobster tail from the Steakhouse Selections portion of the MDR menu any night for an upcharge of $20. I have not had it, but I have been told that it is better than what you get on elegant night.

Interesting, I'm going to give it a try in a few months...:D

Not sure what you mean. I've never been on a cruise with lobster 2 nights.

when they had lobster on 3 and 4 night cruises the ship would have 2 lobster nights a week, one night each cruise. remove them from the short cruises and reduce the amount of lobster carnival has to buy in a week.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Not sure if this is on every journey's cruise, but we did a 9 day journeys's cruise this past May. There was a 3rd elegant night (80's throwback day or whatever) and the lobster was served that night, or for 2nd time on cruise. Was the only reason we dealt with the MDR that night.

FWIW