Diamonds International is a scam!

Elcid88

I bought a beautiful Totem in Skagway. It has the bear and cub on the bottom and is signed by the artist. It is truly one of my favorite things that I have purchased from my travels. I have been wanting one since my first cruise to AK in 2009. On our first trip to AK, I picked up a lot of the free items. It was kind of like a treasure hunt. I never purchased anything in the stores. I got my free trinket and left. My cruise in early June was my 4th trip to AK. I purposely looked for Made in Alaska items. My son was with me on this trip. He picked up lots of the free trinkets, but he got his trinket and ran out the door. In one store, the saleslady showed him this really expensive bracelet. He looked at her and told her very seriously, "Do I look like someone, who can afford something that expensive?" She did not know how to respond to that. We laughed all the way out the door.

I hope you aren't replying to me because I never used the word "scam." Hopefully you got me confused with someone else.

I meant to be replying to the OP who used the word "scam" in the thread title. Not intended for you. Sorry.

The OP certainly did not have any idea of the meaning and usage of the word "scam".

DON

I have good news and bad news for you.

Good news: Just about everyone on planet earth - except you and the farmers you mentioned - already knew that DI is a scam. There are no diamond mines in Alaska or in the Caribbean. But now everyone on earth knows, so that's cleared up.

Now the bad news: Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are scams too. Sorry to be the one to have to tell you.

I really wonder why the art auctions are such a success. Grown ups with enough money to cruise, at least smart enough to get themselves to the right port to embark. And then they are to believe that someone would think that the best way to sell their really interesting piece of art is to organize an auction to a complete random and very small audience. And then they actually pay thousands or tens of thousands for an inkjet copy of a painting of a funny looking cat.

It works, obviously, but who are those buyers? Very rich, never thought about visiting a gallery, but when it's on a silver platter, and we're here for fun and need a souvenir anyway?

I really wonder why the art auctions are such a success. Grown ups with enough money to cruise, at least smart enough to get themselves to the right port to embark. And then they are to believe that someone would think that the best way to sell their really interesting piece of art is to organize an auction to a complete random and very small audience. And then they actually pay thousands or tens of thousands for an inkjet copy of a painting of a funny looking cat.

It works, obviously, but who are those buyers? Very rich, never thought about visiting a gallery, but when it's on a silver platter, and we're here for fun and need a souvenir anyway?

I agree. I was going to add the art auction 'scam' to the OP's DI rant.

My husband wanted to buy a sport jersey from the art auction. It took ALL I had to NOT let that happen. We got home, bought the jersey on ebay and a shadow box frame at a store and for about $60, had a signed jersey framed and on the wall.

Was the signature real ... either on the ebay one or the Park West one? I have no idea. But PW wanted almost $1,000 for theirs in their IMO ugly frame.

Don't waste your time listening to your ships so called "shopping experts" tell you about all of the free stuff you are going to get at Diamonds International; as well as at all of the other stores the cruise industry pushes.

We went to the initial shopping seminar to learn about unique opportunities for Alaskan items. However it turned into an hour long advertisement for the stores that were in cahoots with our cruise line and all others.

We smelled this one right away, but heard of others being duped all we long an in every port. There was a big group of farmers on our boot this week and they have wasted a lot of time trying to collect the free "gifts" as well as wasted a lot of time on Diamonds International and all the other sorry vendors.

Did a little research and found this out. My only concern is that if this vendor has so many complaints and is obviously a scam, then why is Celebrity and the other cruise lines in bed with them??? I know it is for money, but can't believe they would perpetuate this on hardworking folks that don't know any better.

See link below:

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/jewelers-retail/diamonds-international-in-new-york-ny-7969/complaints/

There can be thousands of posts like this one and there will always be people who will go to the stores to shop .However ,I urge you to post this as much as you can.

- fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

Definition of deceptive

- tending or having power to cause someone to accept as true or valid what is false or invalid

The very word "shopping expert" is a lie. It implies that someone, backed by the trusted ship, will help you find the best place to shop, where in reality people are sent to shops that pay for the "advice", not the cheaper shops or the shops offering better products. That's "deceptive". The word "scam" just follows the definition.

EDIT: I'm referring to the ship, not DI itself

Edited by AmazedByCruising

Trouble with buying diamonds in a foreign country or onboard is how does on tell if they are real? And don't get me on the gemstone Tanzanite!

Here is my take after 2 Caribbean cruises. My wife is a huge jewelry wearer and spends big $$$ all the time. On our first cruise we were very careful and stayed away from most jewelry shops except for several small purchases on the ship last day. Second cruise I was not so lucky. Got talked into a nice looking Invicta watch. Retail $800, got it onboard for under $200. When I got back home, found it on AMZN for $107!! Then when Wife cruised a few shops in Roatan with all their sparkle, she got trapped on a complete set of Zultanite. Really pretty stuff. Bartered down to $1,200. Got it home to find one of the earrings had broke away from the hook. Took it to our jeweler friend and discovered that it was cold soldered. He replaced the ring and laser welded both of the pair. He also discovered that most of the post on the bracelet holding the Zultanite stones cracked. They had apparently replaced the original white stones and while doing so cracked them. Cheap ass Mexican jewelry that our jeweler said was most likely made in some 3rd world country.

We will never buy any type of jewelry on a cruise again. In the past all her jewelry is southwest from the same custom maker in Albuquerque and or Calvin Begay. Never again!

I bought 1 ring on an NCL ship. It is silver with varied color enamel design. I LOVE this ring. It's been 6 years and to this day, I still get compliments on it and I still love it. It was $50 on one of their 'table' sales .... the pull tables out and have them in the walkways and items are 'marked down'. It was a price I was willing to pay.

But for diamonds and other gems and believing they're real ... I don't believe it and don't buy it.

A jersey at an art auction? These auctions are more absurd than I thought! I'm glad you were the adult at the right time. Please understand that men will be boys till we die.

It was 2004 on RC. It was Park West and it was a Howie Long shirt. Yeah ... they had it framed in one of those gold gilt frames. It was UGLY.

Trouble with buying diamonds in a foreign country or onboard is how does on tell if they are real? And don't get me on the gemstone Tanzanite!

Here is my take after 2 Caribbean cruises. My wife is a huge jewelry wearer and spends big $$$ all the time. On our first cruise we were very careful and stayed away from most jewelry shops except for several small purchases on the ship last day. Second cruise I was not so lucky. Got talked into a nice looking Invicta watch. Retail $800, got it onboard for under $200. When I got back home, found it on AMZN for $107!! Then when Wife cruised a few shops in Roatan with all their sparkle, she got trapped on a complete set of Zultanite. Really pretty stuff. Bartered down to $1,200. Got it home to find one of the earrings had broke away from the hook. Took it to our jeweler friend and discovered that it was cold soldered. He replaced the ring and laser welded both of the pair. He also discovered that most of the post on the bracelet holding the Zultanite stones cracked. They had apparently replaced the original white stones and while doing so cracked them. Cheap ass Mexican jewelry that our jeweler said was most likely made in some 3rd world country.

We will never buy any type of jewelry on a cruise again. In the past all her jewelry is southwest from the same custom maker in Albuquerque and or Calvin Begay. Never again!

AMEN! My biggest problem is DI's lack of customer service. I turned this over to my charge card company to handle.

How can we warn people ono the Caribbean boards? Diamonds International is all over down there, ripping off people in every port, from what I can tell.

Let me be VERY clear. DI will never get a dime from me, and I buy loads of jewelry.

Having said that, I have met many people on cruises who were truly joyful about their free charms from DI. And others who were thrilled with their purchases. So who am I to rain on their parade? If our dinner companion was thrilled with her ring from DI, and every time she looks at it she remembers her husband's delight in purchasing it for her, why would I say anything negative? And the women I've met who collected the bracelets and charms for their grandchildren -- gifts of love, right?

Yup, inform people if you can, before they spend their money. But after? What good can come of that?

Good rule of thumb. If it’s close to the cruise port, like within a block or two, it’s a rip off. Don’t be stupid. Not a fan of DI at all, but the cruise lines promote them because they get big money to do so. It’s not hard to figure this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

OK. My story of woe with Diamonds International continues, and this time it goes all the way to their Headquarters in NYC. If this problem gets resolved, as one of their Customer Service Supervisor promised, that will be the end of it. If not...we'll see. I turned the problem over to Mastercard BEFORE she contacted me and promised me the world. She promised to return the original ring I turned in at Diamonds International in Costa Maya (said they have to keep them in the vault for 3 months in their CM store), AND give me the $550 credit back to the charge card. I haven't heard back from her for almost 2 weeks, not returning numerous phone calls and emails. The fun thing is that we have two more cruises, the first one is leaving on September 1. Doesn't it figure? We're stopping in both Cozumel and Costa Maya. Hmmm. Not a threat, not gonna make a big deal out of it, but if they do not resolve this issue as promised, I will warn each and every person on the CC board and "other" social media sites. I pray it doesn't come down to this. All I want now is for the Diamonds International Customer Service Supervisor (whose name I will not disclose at this time) to come through as promised, and contact me either by email or phone. Easy Peasy, right?