NCL Laundry Services (Breakaway)

ajtraveler66

I believe the bagged laundry is washed at a quite hot temperature. I doubt for the bag specials they'd have the time to look at each piece of clothing's care label. If paying the high prices for individual pieces, that might be different.

The bag special is available to everyone, regardless of status. I think there's a % discount as you work your way up the ladder, but I don't know what that is without looking.

So,,,, let's get the facts straight and not throw out a lot of incorrect conjecture.

1) Passenger laundry is done with cold water and detergent only. This is because some people are allergic to other chemicals. (E.g. Not the 5 different chemicals used on napkins).

2) Handling labels are looked at. For example, if a piece requires air drying, it is marked and handled separately.

3) small items likevsocks and delicates are not individually tagged. They are placed in large nylon mesh bags (which are tagged). So, the only place the sock monster can eat socks is when the order is first tagged and when it is folded.

4) as you work your way up the ladder, bags of laundry are free, not discounted. Next day service.

5) the bulk laundry bag for $19.95 is second day service.

6) NCL is in the process of discontinuing dry cleaning service due to the hazardous chemicals used in the dry cleaning process

7) on a small ship, over 10,000 napkins are laundered each day. On a big ship (e.g., the Escape) they use an washing machine with 12 compartments which automatically advances a load of napkins to each compartment and eventually up a deck for drying and ironing.

Edited by BirdTravels

Just to get clarification is the laundry special that is offered on board for $20 only for those that are latitude Gold and above? Or is that available for anyone? We are only silver.

Thanks

The bulk laundry (fill-a-bag) is offered to everyone on the ship regardless of status.

Edited by BirdTravels

So,,,, let's get the facts straight and not throw out a lot of incorrect conjecture.

1) Passenger laundry is done with cold water and detergent only. This is because some people are allergic to other chemicals. (E.g. Not the 5 different chemicals used on napkins).

2) Handling labels are looked at. For example, if a piece requires air drying, it is marked and handled separately.

3) small items likevsocks and delicates are not individually tagged. They are placed in large nylon mesh bags (which are tagged). So, the only place the sock monster can eat socks is when the order is first tagged and when it is folded.

4) as you work your way up the ladder, bags of laundry are free, not discounted. Next day service.

5) the bulk laundry bag for $19.95 is second day service.

6) NCL is in the process of discontinuing dry cleaning service due to the hazardous chemicals used in the dry cleaning process

7) on a small ship, over 10,000 napkins are laundered each day. On a big ship (e.g., the Escape) they use an washing machine with 12 compartments which automatically advances a load of napkins to each compartment and eventually up a deck for drying and ironing.

I don't know where you get your information but I was on the Behind The Scenes tour on the Star and none of your first 3 statements were true of the laundry there.

Statement #4 is also not true since Gold members get a 25% discount on the Bag special.

Edited by NMLady

I don't know where you get your information but I was on the Behind The Scenes tour on the Star and none of your first 3 statements were true of the laundry there.

Statement #4 is also not true since Gold members get a 25% discount on the Bag special.

source of data:

I talked with the laundry master on the Jewel about three weeks ago.

I had a discussion specifically about guest laundry with the laundry master on the Dawn two days ago.

We were in the two story laundry room on the Escape in May checking out their tour bus size linen washer.

And I got back two bags of laundry today. Happy to report that all socks are accounted for. Nine with laundry tags.

• 2 months later...
How many items would you say fits in the bag?

Clothes are actually "cleaned" and pressed for $20?

Sounds like a real bargain compared to having individual items cleaned.

By cramming socks and undies into corners and across bottom, then tightly rolling shirts and blouses, and putting slacks flat across top we've always been able to fit five days of clothes for two people in the bag.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone confirm if this special is still available on current sailings? I'm going to the 14-day Caribbean cruise on Norwegian Breakaway out of New York. I would seriously appreciate it!

We had to ask about the laundry on the BA in October. The steward did not provide any info in our cabin about the "special." We asked about the "fill the bag special" - we used this service on other NCL cruises - it was at that time that the steward didn't seem to understand English very well and said that we could have the laundry done on a per piece basis.

We were going use it out of convenience and not necessity. I don't think they discontinued the "special" ... instead, I suspect we had a weak steward (even after pre-tipping him $80 for our balcony cabin) :) As an aside, there seems to be more attention to detail with higher cabin categories based on our experience.

We had to ask about the laundry on the BA in October. The steward did not provide any info in our cabin about the "special." We asked about the "fill the bag special" - we used this service on other NCL cruises - it was at that time that the steward didn't seem to understand English very well and said that we could have the laundry done on a per piece basis.

We were going use it out of convenience and not necessity. I don't think they discontinued the "special" ... instead, I suspect we had a weak steward (even after pre-tipping him $80 for our balcony cabin) :) As an aside, there seems to be more attention to detail with higher cabin categories based on our experience.

So did Breakaway end up having a Fill A Bag special on your cruise?

To piggyback off the laundry question, does anyone know what temperature water the clothes are washed in? I have always been apprehensive to use the laundry services, in fear that my cold wash items (95% of my wardrobe ends up requiring cold wash) will be washed hot, and then shrink. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Yesss! I end up hand washing my undies and bras. I personally have never sent in my stuff, but I did send in baby clothes three years ago with no issues, but they were mostly cotton, etc. This time I'll send out some of my son's clothes and husbands, but never mine!

• 3 weeks later...
Yesss! I end up hand washing my undies and bras. I personally have never sent in my stuff, but I did send in baby clothes three years ago with no issues, but they were mostly cotton, etc. This time I'll send out some of my son's clothes and husbands, but never mine!

Wow, I would never actually think of sending off my undies to be washed by someone else, normally I even hand wash them at home!

But then again, I ruck along in my issue backpack and can pack for an entire 7 day cruise with my laptop, charging cords, kindle and odds and ends in a small 'hiking' backpack.

And by issue backpack, I mean one of these:

MOLLE2packdes-lg.jpg

On our 13 night Breakaway cruise January 2nd, they had the bundled laundry service twice. There were no limits to how many bags you sent. It was $19.99 per bag and with our Gold discount, it was $14.98 per bag.

They changed the bags as well. Gone are the smallish paper bags. Now they have much larger vinyl/plastic bags with draw strings.

• 1 year later...

Strange question - do you get the option of how you want it washed (i.e. in the temperature of water)? Undergarmets are much different than jeans/pants! 11-night cruise (3 weeks away from home) is coming up soon and I’m trying to get this figured out! 😊

Strange question - do you get the option of how you want it washed (i.e. in the temperature of water)? Undergarmets are much different than jeans/pants! 11-night cruise (3 weeks away from home) is coming up soon and I’m trying to get this figured out! 😊

Nope, all washed together in industrial machines.

so do you think it’s all in cold or warm water? i guess what i’m getting at is i don’t want anything ruined/shrunk (washed in hot water!)!

I've been on several BTS tours and need to ask this question. From looking at the machines they have a wide range of temps including kill everything mode.

How they do our clothes, not sure, but we've never had a problem with things coming back overly shrunk. Any tightness more likely due to eating too much.

I've been on several BTS tours and need to ask this question. From looking at the machines they have a wide range of temps including kill everything mode.

How they do our clothes, not sure, but we've never had a problem with things coming back overly shrunk. Any tightness more likely due to eating too much.

ok, thanks!