British Passport Holders Vietnam Visas obtained by Azamara ...help Bonnie?

santrah

We were told that Azamara will get all necessary visas

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

After reading info supplied to a USA citizen from Azamara for the 24 Oct 2016 cruise, in April I asked about the visa requirements for UK citizens. I had the following reply from bookingsupportuk@Azamaraclubcruises.com :

"United Arab Emirates: Yes, a visa is required to travel to this country.

The Embassy for this country has confirmed that a visa on arrival facility

is available.

Oman: Yes, a visa is required to travel to this country. The Embassy for

this country has confirmed that a visa on arrival facility is available. A

group visa will be issued onboard upon submission of the guest

manifest, there will be a visa charge of approx. $15 per guest.

Bahrain: Yes, a visa is required for travel to this country. Multiple

Entry, 30 Days Validity (please submit request on line)

Qatar: Yes, a visa is required to travel to this country. The Embassy for

this country has confirmed that a visa on arrival facility is available.

As previously advised, please contact Visa Central for further assistance

as ports of call are entitled to change requirements as they feel fit.

http://cibtvisas.co.uk/ or 0844 381 4798"

Having struggled to get a reply from that email address initially, I also asked the question of customerserviceuk@azamaraclubcruises.com who replied:

"United Arab Emirates UK and ROI passport holders (with right to abide) do

not require a visa in advance to enter the UAE and can get one on arrival.

Oman A group visa will be issued on-board upon submission of the guest

manifest. Guests are not required to do anything to be included in the

group visa. For stays over 24 hours, guests will be charged a visa fee of

approx. $15 per person and will be added to the guest's onboard expense

account. Please note this service is not available to Israeli citizens.

Bahrain All passengers arriving by cruise are provided a visa on submission

of the passenger manifest. Please note this service is not available to

citizens of Croatia, Syria and Pakistan.

Qatar At the moment we do not have this information available, please check with http://www.visacentral.co.uk/AzamaraClubCruises

We kindly advise that you please check this information with Visa Central

at the website provided above, or with the embassy of each respective

country as this is subject to change."

These differing responses were received a few days apart.

Therefore could Azamara please provide the current requirements?

We have visited the UAE a number of times and have never had to get a Visa on arrival, usually it's a pleasant chat with the guy checking passports we get a stamp and go on our way. I know things can change but it will be interesting to hear everyone's experience in October as we are off to Abu Dhabi for the New Year and a cruise on Celebrity Constellation.

Thanks Wacktle I am getting mixed messages as well and really hope we can get a definitive answer here.

One thing, we cannot rely on what happened last year as they are all changing their requirements or, if the requirements are the same the way they are handled are different. Same as in the UK, I used to come back into the UK with just the agent looking at my passport and passing it back to me, now I have questions asked. It is now a good two minutes of looking and checking not the 30 seconds it used to be.

Thanks Wacktle I am getting mixed messages as well and really hope we can get a definitive answer here.

One thing, we cannot rely on what happened last year as they are all changing their requirements or, if the requirements are the same the way they are handled are different. Same as in the UK, I used to come back into the UK with just the agent looking at my passport and passing it back to me, now I have questions asked. It is now a good two minutes of looking and checking not the 30 seconds it used to be.

I agree that we cannot rely on what happened last year, and can we rely on Azamara's responses when they are inconsistent?

So, to try to get it straight in my own mind, I spent yesterday afternoon reading the FCO's info online, the info on the Emirates and Omani airlines' websites, document downloads from the Azamara visa service company, plus all I could find on the countries' own embassy/consulate websites. I concluded that UK citizens don't have to apply for any visas in advance and that, where a charge is made, it can be paid on entry.

However, the big question remains about what Azamara will provide onboard. I wouldn't be happy to book a shore excursion with an early departure, only to find myself in a long queue to buy a visa.

It's hard to see why Azamara finds this so difficult. :confused:

If you book a shore excursion with Azamara, it won't go until you are there. If there's an issue getting visas, they will know about it.

Sorry, we did not see that being the case in India. They will refund your cost if they cannot wait for you

Yes, I remember the problem in India in 2014.That wasn't anything to do with visas tho', as we all had to have our own visas to be allowed to finish the cruise in Mumbai.(Some poor people who hadn't got visas had to leave the ship in Dubai before the end of the cruise - even a guy who had a business visa, but no tourist visa).

When the ship docked in Mumbai we had to queue to get our passports back before we were allowed ashore and Indian immigration officials were very late coming aboard. We had a ship's excursion booked that day and didn't get off the ship until after the starting time, but the excursion didn't go until everyone on the list was on the bus.

On no other occasion did we have queue up to get our passports and we knew nothing about how the relevant visas were dealt with - there was never any issue getting off the ship in Egypt, Oman or UAE.

(Cruise was Athens to Mumbai in Autumn 2014. Same applied in 2013 on the Journey Athens to Dubai).

October 28 2017 Route of the Frankinsense

I have also booked this cruise (German nationality). Our foreign office says we need a visa for Jordan and Egypt. However, I was told from Azamara that this is not required in advance. Apparently there is some kind of exemption or we get a group visa when arriving by ship. This is very good and as a matter of fact made me decide to go ahead with this cruise. I did not want to go through the process of applying for visa at several embassies for one or two days visit.

Now I know for sure that visas are in advance required for India and China (I think except Hongkong). For Russia also a visa is required unless you are going on a ships excursion or have booked a tour with a russian company.

Edited by travelberlin

• 2 months later...
Thank you for all your replies, especially to Bonnie for her once again prompt reply.

I have finally had a personalised e-mail reply from the Vietnamese Embassy regarding our 3 port entries. These are regarded as ONE ENTRY. Which is great news for standard British Passport Holders who qualify for exemption of visa for Vietnam.

Reply from the embassy

That is one entry only

Regards,

Member of staff

UPCOMING PUBLIC HOLIDAY

Monday 29 August 2016 Summer Bank Holiday

From Friday 2 September to Sunday 4 September 2016 Viet Nam's National Day

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed. You should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail to others unless specifically requested by the sender. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete this e-mail (and any accompanying material) from your computer and network.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM,

Please advise if the following itinerary is regarding as three entries into Vietnam or one entry as the ship is still sailing in Vietnamese waters.

Azamara Journey Cruise Ship. Origin from Hong Kong on way to Thailand

Arrive 12 December 2016 Halong Bay Depart 13 December 2016

Arrive 14 December 2016 De Nang Depart 14 December 2016

Arrive 16 December 2016 Ho Chi Minh Depart 16 December 2016

Thank you

We're in the same situation traveling from Hong Kong to Singapore but we stop at two Vietnam ports. Both of us hold British passports. It's been rather difficult getting a consistent answer from multiple sources (RCI, Visa agencies, Vietnam Embassy in the US) but I'd rather not spend money to get a visa if we don't need to.

Can you please provide the email you used to confirm the number of port entries? I'd like to email them separately. Thank you!

We're in the same situation traveling from Hong Kong to Singapore but we stop at two Vietnam ports. Both of us hold British passports. It's been rather difficult getting a consistent answer from multiple sources (RCI, Visa agencies, Vietnam Embassy in the US) but I'd rather not spend money to get a visa if we don't need to.

Can you please provide the email you used to confirm the number of port entries? I'd like to email them separately. Thank you!

hi

This is the email address that I emailed and also had a reply from confirming that we do not require visas. It took me two attempts to get it confirmed as they initially kept referring to Noitce 3 & Notice 4 of their website!

vietnamesevisauk@gmail.com

Last October we did not require a visa for Vietnam as they had given visa exemption for U.K. Citizens (& French, Italian, German & Spanish citizens). I have just checked the Vietnamese consular web-site and this has been extended to June 2017. It says it's for a single entry, but I'm sure being on a cruise and getting off at several different Vietnamese ports must only count as a single entry as there was no other requirement last year.

I am a US passport holder and I went on the Azamara website, clicked booked guests, before you cruise, travel documents. I carefully read everything and then clicked on the link to Visa Central which is provided by Azamara. My cruise did not appear so I clicked on that link. It clearly stated that the cruise line will be handling the Visas for Vietnam.

I think I have done my due diligence and I had my travel agent check directly with her Azamara rep. She got the same response.

However reading Bonnie's response I am concerned and feel I should hire a Visa company to get me a multiple entry visa for Vietnam.

hi

This is the email address that I emailed and also had a reply from confirming that we do not require visas. It took me two attempts to get it confirmed as they initially kept referring to Noitce 3 & Notice 4 of their website!

vietnamesevisauk@gmail.com

Thank you. This is the address I emailed initially but received a response from the same address you listed: consular@vietnamembassy.org.uk

It was very sketchy being a gmail account so I didn't trust it. Why is it a gmail account?? That's so weird! Nonetheless I'll email them again. My first attempt was unsuccessful. I really don't think my email was read actually because the response had nothing to do with the email I sent. I like how you phrased yours so I will try that next time. Thank you!

Btw, here was my response from Vietnam Visa Easy:

Thank you very much for contacting us!

Your itinerary shows that you are cruising on 26 November and then re-enter the next day. If the cruise leaves Vietnam territory on 26 Vietnam, you will have to apply for a new visa to ren-enter. If the cruise stays inside Vietnam, just moving from the Central (Hue) to the South (Ho Chi Minh), then you still enjoy visa exemption program.

Best regards,

Fiona

Thank you. This is the address I emailed initially but received a response from the same address you listed: consular@vietnamembassy.org.uk

It was very sketchy being a gmail account so I didn't trust it. Why is it a gmail account?? That's so weird! Nonetheless I'll email them again. My first attempt was unsuccessful. I really don't think my email was read actually because the response had nothing to do with the email I sent. I like how you phrased yours so I will try that next time. Thank you!

Btw, here was my response from Vietnam Visa Easy:

Thank you very much for contacting us!

Your itinerary shows that you are cruising on 26 November and then re-enter the next day. If the cruise leaves Vietnam territory on 26 Vietnam, you will have to apply for a new visa to ren-enter. If the cruise stays inside Vietnam, just moving from the Central (Hue) to the South (Ho Chi Minh), then you still enjoy visa exemption program.

Best regards,

Fiona

I think that's the key. The cruise stays in Vietnamese waters, so this must count as a single entry. That must have been how it worked on our cruise last year, so the UK visa exemption, which is for single entry, applied to all our 3 ports.

I think that's the key. The cruise stays in Vietnamese waters, so this must count as a single entry. That must have been how it worked on our cruise last year, so the UK visa exemption, which is for single entry, applied to all our 3 ports.

Yes I really hope so! I just received a response from vietnamesevisauk@gmail.com

If the ship is still sailing in Vietnamese water, it is one entry.

Regards,

Member of staff

UPCOMING PUBLIC HOLIDAY

Monday 26 December 2016 Boxing Day

Tuesday 27 December 2016 Christmas Day (substitute day)

I think the problem here is that with some people Azamaras default position of "you need a visa" causes the problems. Several times onboard I have met cautious people who followed that advice spent a lot of money on visas (and the very heavy handling fees of Azamaras recommended supplier) and are aggrieved because it turns out the visa was not needed. In each case they had thought that was the case (Vietnam and Sri Lanka were the two specifics, the latter could be done by a no cost e visa) but had spent money based on Azamaras position. This is causing some folks and their TAs to ignore the cruiseline advice by default because of past stories.

There are countries (India for example) where 100% it's needed.

It would be very helpful if Azamara could give definitive guidance specific to the ports ahead of the cruise. Given the difference in rules this guideline could cover the top types of passport from their annual guest demographic - USA, Canada, UK etc. Where they know the visa requirement applies to everyone this can be explicitly stated as applying regardless of passport type and remove the major problems that happen with India. Otherwise guest should do their own research, not with people like visa central whose answers are driven by sales but their own official government sources.

It would also help if they stated whether a cruise stopping at several ports was classed as multi entry - in some countries it is, in others no. That is the part that causes the greatest problem but based on knowledge from the industry the cruiseline could help a lot.

For an upcoming cruise in October to the Middle East as an example, I've had two different answers from Azamara and a third (very expensive) response from Visa Central. Who knows what we really need, that's on next months to do list!

I totally agree. For India we know for sure that visas are needed, but we also hear from other Azamara cruisers that Vietnam, Egipt or Jordania do not require Visas in advance. The over carefully position of Azamara might be causing more confusion than providing help...

I know that British Passport holders with a least 6m on their passport are exempt from visas however, the 10 December cruise on the journey stops at 3 ports in Vietnam and the wording on the embassy website is a follows:-

Note: According to Vietnam immigration law, to be eligible for visa exemption, your passport must have at least six months validity. If you wish to enter Viet Nam at least two consecutive times without visa, the next entry must be at least 30 days after the previous exit. If you enter Viet Nam the first time with visa, then the next entry without visa can be less than 30 days after your previous exit)

Therefore as we are visiting three ports is this regarded as three entries or because we are in Vietnam waters is it counted as one entry?... do we need visas and if so..WILL AZAMARA OBTAIN THEM FOR US??

I emailed the Vietnamese Embassy but their reply did not really answer my question! It was more of an automated reply system.

Bonnie, can you confirm that if we do need visas will Azamara obtain them for us and do we need to provide photos? Many thanks.

By the way German nationals face similar requirements. We were planning a back to back, which will mean we are definitely entering Vietnam twice since the cruise stops in Hongkong and then goes back to vietnamese ports... Visa needed who knows?

By the way German nationals face similar requirements. We were planning a back to back, which will mean we are definitely entering Vietnam twice since the cruise stops in Hongkong and then goes back to vietnamese ports... Visa needed who knows?

So Vietnam on first cruise then on 2nd cruise Hong Kong --> Vietnam? If so, seems as though you would.

If you do need a visa, then Azamara will get it for you on-board. On our cruise last year they organised visas for US citizens.

I herd from Azamara in the Netherlands that visa's will done on board for Vietnaman and Indonesia, that's the same as last winter

• 4 months later...