Will it pay to wait?

cthrn27

:confused:Hello. It has been a crazy summer. Hubby and I would like to cruise at the end of September. I noticed that prices have gone up since last I checked in early July. If we aren't too picky on ports or ships, will it pay off to wait until it is closer to the time we want to sail??? Or will the choice of rooms make the point moot? we generally cruise ocean view, lower levels.... how long should I wait?:cool:

Thanks for any recommendations.

Will it pay off to wait? Maybe. There are such things as "pack and go" rates that are really pretty good. But, do you live close enough to a port that you can drive? If not, making last minute airline reservations could totally offset the savings on the cruise fare. There is no real way to answer your question. It is possible, but I don't think anyone can tell you yes or no. Also, you do understand that the better cabins sell out first, so waiting will, if nothing else, probably result in your not having much choice of a cabin. Good luck!! :)

I've seen prices go through the floor, through the roof, and stay the same. There's really no way to tell.

Generally, if I find a sailing I like and I'm ok with the price, I book it and resist the urge to check prices again.

:confused:Hello. It has been a crazy summer. Hubby and I would like to cruise at the end of September. I noticed that prices have gone up since last I checked in early July. If we aren't too picky on ports or ships, will it pay off to wait until it is closer to the time we want to sail??? Or will the choice of rooms make the point moot? we generally cruise ocean view, lower levels.... how long should I wait?:cool:

The less picky you are about ship and port, the more likely you can get a last minute pack and go rate. Carnival has pack and go rates out for September. Perhaps you could find something there. Good luck.

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-deals/last-minute-cruises.aspx?cexp=legacy

I'd pick one or two sailings that your really interested in and do mock bookings to see exactly how many rooms are left of each category. September isn't too far away so it is a crucial time for Carnival to get those sailings booked up, if there are a ton of rooms available (like 150+) you should see some price drops to get those rooms filled up. If there are under 50 rooms available that sailing is very close to being sold out and prices will usually go up a little bit so I would book right away. You'd hate to wait too long to try and save $100-200 and get sold out of the sailings.

Lots of factors to consider.

Are there several ports you can reasonably travel to for about the same cost?

Yes, great waiting might be okay. No, and your limited to 1 reasonable distance port well, might be better to book now.

Are you picky about your room location? The later time gets on the less choice you will have.

Are you picky about your ports or ship? As with the room as time passes you may find your selection limited.

However if as you said, you don't care about which ship or room and you've got several ports near you, than I say wait. Otherwise book now and hope for a reduction!

It seems prices have gone up this year & keep going up. You probably should book now unless you don't care where you are located.

We booked our Nov. 2017 Vista cruise back in March or April of this year. My husband thought I was a little nuts for wanting to book it so early. But I wanted to take advantage of the reduced deposit sale and I thought the rate was pretty good. I'm so glad that I went with my gut. The price has done nothing but climb since we booked it. It's almost $400 (total) more than it was when we booked.

If you are comfortable with the terms & conditions of booking early saver, you are protected if the price does drop. We always book early saver. If the cruise rate is at a price I'm willing to pay, we'll just book it rather than wait. And then if it drops lower under Early Saver, we'll get the price match on it.

My last three cruises have just gone up and up in price as well as the two I have booked. My cruise for next week is 500$ more than I booked it for 18 months ago. My Vista cruise for next year is already 400$ more than I paid when I booked the day those sailings became available. I book early because I need a handicapped room and I usually want a specific one, but I always check the prices every few days or so even though I know my cabin choice will be sold out.

maybe this will help you decide May 2016 i booked a cruise for April 2018 four decks are already SOLD OUT and prices are steadily going up.

Thank you everyone for your quick and thoughtful responses. You brought up some good points I hadn't thought of, so I BOOKED IT!! :) there were only a few cabins left in my range, so I think you guys were right.... thanks so much.

Thank you everyone for your quick and thoughtful responses. You brought up some good points I hadn't thought of, so I BOOKED IT!! :) there were only a few cabins left in my range, so I think you guys were right.... thanks so much.

Enjoy your cruise.

maybe this will help you decide May 2016 i booked a cruise for April 2018 four decks are already SOLD OUT and prices are steadily going up.

I would question your comment that 4 decks are sold out a year and a half prior to sail date.

More than likely they are being held back. What cruise have you booked?

I won't question your statement that fares are increasing.

They won't sell out in the end of September, It really depends on if you can drive to port or not. What will kill you is the airfare, cruise fares and airfares work in reverse. Last minute cruise prices are usually the cheapest. However if you wait to long for the cheapest cruise fare, last minute airfare is ridiculously expensive. So if you are within driving distance to the port then I would wait it out especially since September is off season. if you have to fly, find the best deal and book it because the money you might save waiting for a price reduction will be wiped away with airfare cost and you would probably pay more in the end.

I would question your comment that 4 decks are sold out a year and a half prior to sail date.

More than likely they are being held back. What cruise have you booked?

I won't question your statement that fares are increasing.

I think CTHM27 got it so no need to respond to your question?

I've seen prices go through the floor, through the roof, and stay the same. There's really no way to tell.

Generally, if I find a sailing I like and I'm ok with the price, I book it and resist the urge to check prices again.

Agreed :)

The fares on all the main lines are governed by a computer algorithm based on supply and demand so it's hard for anyone from the outside to predict.

What I can say is that we sailed Carnival twice this year and for both - the lowest price we saw was 6+months ahead. From there they both went up significantly. That's not necessarily true for all cruises ... but it's what we saw. Also .. many ships are sailing full or nearly so which would possibly deal you out of a cabin you'd like.