Tons of Questions About the Ruby - Please Share Your Knowledge

sjmbruce

I will be on the Ruby next year headed to Mexico. I really want this to be a relaxing vacation and want to learn everything I can now about the Ruby so my husband and I can just board and enjoy.

I see a pool named the Terrance Pool on Deck 14. Is this more like a smaller/shallow splash pool? It looks like it might have some good views.

It looks like the Neptune and Calypso pools are separate. Does this mean MUTS isn't visible from one pool? While I enjoy MUTS sometimes, other times it can be loud and intrusive and it would be nice to have a pool without it. Or is it not visible from either pool? I see deck 18 has a spot labeled "Movies Under the Stars seating".

Are there showers and towels available at the fitness center?

I really don't have any clue what a thermal suite is at the spa. What does it entail?

I am assuming the Lotus Spa pool is only for spa customers. Is there a pass that includes the pool and thermal suites without purchasing specific spa treatments?

With the last two questions, I guess I am just trying to figure out how to utilize what is available in the spa area and what I need to purchase.

What is special about Skywalkers Nightclub? It sounds interesting and I'd like to know more.

Lastly, if there is anything I shouldn't miss or something I should know, please share.

Thank you!

I will be on the Ruby next year headed to Mexico. I really want this to be a relaxing vacation and want to learn everything I can now about the Ruby so my husband and I can just board and enjoy.

I see a pool named the Terrance Pool on Deck 14. Is this more like a smaller/shallow splash pool? It looks like it might have some good views.

No its not a splash pool. Its approx 5ft deep all over.

It looks like the Neptune and Calypso pools are separate. Does this mean MUTS isn't visible from one pool? While I enjoy MUTS sometimes, other times it can be loud and intrusive and it would be nice to have a pool without it. Or is it not visible from either pool? I see deck 18 has a spot labeled "Movies Under the Stars seating".

Correct you can only see MUTS from one pool.

With the last two questions, I guess I am just trying to figure out how to utilize what is available in the spa area and what I need to purchase.

What is special about Skywalkers Nightclub? It sounds interesting and I'd like to know more.

Great quiet place to catch some awesome views during the day. DJ at night and dancing.

Lastly, if there is anything I shouldn't miss or something I should know, please share.

Thank you!

See above.

The Spa Pool is adults only and it is not part of the Spa. Any adult can use it at. It is almost always quiet and the loungers are very comfortable. Because of the location the loungers are typically in the shade most of the day.

The showers, steam room and saunas in the change rooms in the Spa area that are available for everyone to use. There should be towels available.

When MUTS was first introduced (on the Crown?) they added tiered seating on the Sports deck with additional loungers for viewing MUTS. When MUTS was added to older ships that area was not added.

The Thermal Suite is extra cost and is only sold as a package for the entire cruise. We had paid between $70-$100/person for a 7 day cruise but that has been a few years. There are five heated tile loungers, several different steam rooms and a sauna and several showers with different water patterns and even different aromas. It is one deck down from the Spa and there are no windows.

Edited by IECalCruiser

I see a pool named the Terrace Pool on Deck 14. Is this more like a smaller/shallow splash pool? It looks like it might have some good views.

5 feet all the way around. Adults only, but some ignore the sign. No view while in the pool. There's a 2 foot high (or so) rim around the pool for sitting on the edge

Showers/towels down a hallway in the spa area.

I am assuming the Lotus Spa pool is only for spa customers. Is there a pass that includes the pool and thermal suites without purchasing specific spa treatments? Nope. The pool is open to all - adults only.

Not sure, but I think you can purchase time in the thermal spa.

What is special about Skywalkers Nightclub? It sounds interesting and I'd like to know more. It's a great place to sit and relax or watch the wake during the day...usually very quiet. We don't do nightclubs, so never been there at night.

Try the Crown Grill ($29), maybe Share ($39?) - reviews vary widely for Share - some love it, most hate.

Don't miss the lectures if you're going on an itinerary that has them. Example: Hawaii lectures not to be missed. Alaska lectures, etc. Skip the port shopping "lectures", they're just sales pitches. Same for the "Art" auctions.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

If you're not 100% set on your cabin choice: Ruby is the only Grand class with stern facing balcony cabins on Riviera deck -- just down from the Terrace pool, bar, and the buffet. Stay to port side since smokers like to rain down ashes on the starboard side. (Diamond and Sapphire have similar on Aloha.)

Yes really great views. Yes the pool is 5 feel deep. There is a ledge and also, there should be grab bard around the top edge, you can use them to hold your self up.

Yes, nice big showers and plenty of towels!

As others have noted it is a noce venue for reading during the day. The views are stunning. On the Crown, Skywalkers was also used fo rthe platinum/elite/suite lounge. If you are not one of those groups, you may find it closed during that lounge times. If you are in one of those groups, enjoy

There is seating around the pool and on the Horizon terrace on the deck 15 above. Good views aft from deck 15 with an easy walk down to the Terrace Pool. This pool area is popular and lounges fill up.

The Caylpso Reef Pool area has MUTS playing all day with the wake show, various recorded concerts and classic movies. In the evening they have current movies, usually two shows per night. Neptune's Reef Pool has recorded music playing as well as some afternoon sessions of live music. There may also be some cruise staff directed pool or poolside games there. Deck 18 has some lounge chairs where you can view MUTS, but it isn't necessary to climb up that high. Also that area is not protected from the wind.

I really don't have any clue what a thermal suite is at the spa. What does it entail?

I am assuming the Lotus Spa pool is only for spa customers. Is there a pass that includes the pool and thermal suites without purchasing specific spa treatments?

A fully windowed lounge high above the sea with great views. Most passengers that use this area during the day are sitting, relaxing and reading. Normally the bar service area is not open during the day. At 5pm it is the lounge used for the Platinum, Elite and full suite happy hours. Late evening it opens as a nightclub with a DJ.

If you enjoy espresso drinks consider the coffee card. You get 15 punches for espresso drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee and special teas for the cruise. If the Ruby has gelato the punches can also be used for that. Unused punches can be used on a future cruise. FYI, free coffee and tea is available all day and evening in the buffet area.

Like tea? Try the afternoon teas in one of the DR's. Usually around 3:30 and no charge.

Review the Princess Patter each day. It has all the activities locations and times. Be aware that some activities shown are really sales talks, especially the spa ones.

Thank you!

A few additional comments above.

Thanks everyone! Most of our vacations are very active, so my husband and I are looking forward to hopefully a more low key trip.

I was debating purchasing the coffee card as the IC isn't close to our cabin, but the presence of gelato changed my mind!

I think we are also going to buy alcohol packages.

We have some OBC, so I am assuming we'll need to wait until we board to buy the coffee card and alcohol packages?

Also, having more OBC than we've ever had before, does the crew check your picture for each purchase with your card?

Thanks everyone! Most of our vacations are very active, so my husband and I are looking forward to hopefully a more low key trip.

I was debating purchasing the coffee card as the IC isn't close to our cabin, but the presence of gelato changed my mind!

We have some OBC, so I am assuming we'll need to wait until we board to buy the coffee card and alcohol packages?

Also, having more OBC than we've ever had before, does the crew check your picture for each purchase with your card?

If you are going to purchase the AIBP then you would not need a coffee card all drinks udner $10 are included

If you purchase the All Inclusive Beverage Package (AIBP) that includes all alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages priced $10 or less. This is almost every drink on the ship. Espresso drinks are included so there is no need to purchase a coffee card if you have the AIBP. If you want gelato you would have to purchase it, but it is very inexpensive. Also, free soft ice cream is available all day and evening by the Lido pool.

Regarding OBC. Your on board accounts will start with a credit balance. Any on board purchase, including the AIBP, will be added to your accounts and your account will have a net balance. The AIBP is sold at tables around the ship on boarding day. Remember, both of your on board accounts will be charged $12.95/pp/day for the hotel charge, frequently referred to as the auto-tip. The amount is $13.95 if you are in a mini suite or full suite. This uses up OBC quickly.

There is no photo on your cruise card. The card will contain a sticker that identifies the AIBP. The staff will ask to see your card every time you order a drink. They may or may not swipe it. There is no limit on drinks. Drink as much and as often as you like. The only restriction is that the AIBP is individual package and is not meant to be shared (except for bottled wine which you have to purchase at a 40% discount). Wine by the glass is included in the package, and Vines has a large selection.

Edited by sknight

Here are a few photos to help answer your pool questions. First up are a couple of the Terrace Pool. It's usually the quietest, least crowded pool on the ship. Great views aft too:

25983055753_e6f6b46220_z.jpg

26312917040_e871d97082_z.jpg

Both main pools on the Ruby are outdoor pools. There is no indoor pool. This photo shows the location of both pools. They are separate from each other. The forward pool (Neptune) is the one closer to the pizza and hamburgers. The Calypso Pool is behind it, just before the funnel. You can see the MUTS screen in front of the funnel:

26474926502_7ae49f385d_z.jpg

Here's a closer look at the Calypso Pool with MUTS:

26294475180_aeb6f56fb6_z.jpg

Here is a photo of the Deck 18 "Movies Under The Stars seating" you asked about. It is terraced seating for sunbathing and watching MUTS:

26148093801_0e4c43aaec_z.jpg

As you can see, the Neptune and Calypso are two very separate pool areas. If you don't want to listen to MUTS, you can go to the Neptune pool. But the band does play there occasionally, so it's not completely quiet. Have a great cruise. The Ruby is a wonderful ship.

Edited by Jasperdo

...I was debating purchasing the coffee card as the IC isn't close to our cabin, but the presence of gelato changed my mind!

As others have posted, you don't need the coffee card if you purchase the AIBP. Also, on the Ruby three scoops of gelato costs only $1.50. The coffee card costs $33.35 for 15 punches or $2.22/punch so it doesn't make much sense to purchase gelato with the coffee card. At Gelato on the Royal and Regal I believe the gelato costs $3.50 for three scoops but that includes toppings. Although there have been a few posts saying they could use the coffee card to purchase gelato on the Crown, Emerald or Ruby, I don't know if that is true or always the case.

As others have posted, you don't need the coffee card if you purchase the AIBP. Also, on the Ruby three scoops of gelato costs only $1.50. The coffee card costs $33.35 for 15 punches or $2.22/punch so it doesn't make much sense to purchase gelato with the coffee card. At Gelato on the Royal and Regal I believe the gelato costs $3.50 for three scoops but that includes toppings. Although there have been a few posts saying they could use the coffee card to purchase gelato on the Crown, Emerald or Ruby, I don't know if that is true or always the case.

On the Ruby we could have. However, as your math shows, not a good value.

Just off the Ruby in Alaska a couple of weeks ago, never saw gelato in the IC. Also went up to Skywalkers one day and while it was a pretty view, it reeked of smoke, can't imagine hanging out there for more than a few minutes.

Really? I never noticed that.

Although there have been a few posts saying they could use the coffee card to purchase gelato on the Crown, Emerald or Ruby, I don't know if that is true or always the case.

Last May, Emerald was accepting the coffee card for gelato.

Just off the Ruby in Alaska a couple of weeks ago, never saw gelato in the IC. Also went up to Skywalkers one day and while it was a pretty view, it reeked of smoke, can't imagine hanging out there for more than a few minutes.

Maybe you should have moved a little farther to the right. Plenty of Gelato choices on our cruise.

Thank you for your tips and for the great pictures of the pools! I am so excited!

I had briefly glanced at the AIBP online to see if it made sense financially. I didn't even bother to read that it included all beverages under $10, not just alcohol. The coffee card definitely doesn't make sense if we purchase the AIBP.

Thanks again!

On some Princess and Carnival there is a grill that does pastrami and corned beef sandwiches. Does the Ruby have this?

Also, our booking came with a sip n sail, does this also include coffee and bottled water?

What would you consider as the best bar to hang around in order to meet fellow cruisers and have a conversation that will not be drowned out with music?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On some Princess and Carnival there is a grill that does pastrami and corned beef sandwiches. Does the Ruby have this?

Also, our booking came with a sip n sail, does this also include coffee and bottled water?

What would you consider as the best bar to hang around in order to meet fellow cruisers and have a conversation that will not be drowned out with music?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no grill on any Princess ship that does pastrami and corned beef sandwiches, so no for Ruby. That must be on Carnival.

The AIBP includes any beverage costing $10 or less without gratuity, so yes for coffee and bottled water.