$1500 to change from cat E2 to E1???????

Perl47

3. If I booked yesterday, the difference was only $33 at today's prices. I have no idea what it was when we booked. We did it onboard and it was a rush-rush thing and since we've never seen a cabin without a sofa, we didn't realize they existed.

I still don't get it. If it was only $33 difference, then where is the $1500 coming from? The travel agent? Or did the price jump from a $33 difference one day, to a $1500 difference the next day?

Either way, prices do fluctuate between categories once they start to sell out. If there are a lot of rooms left in a category because nobody is booking them, the price will stay pretty steady (maybe even drop), but if they reach a certain inventory level, the cruise line knows they can charge more for it, so that's probably why there is a such a significant difference between the different categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're booked on a cruise in October and decided we'd like a different cabin. If someone made the reservation today, the cost is only $33 more so I assumed if would be $200 or so.

Anyway, I was told by Cruises Only (RCCL won't talk to me about it because we booked though Cruises Only) that they'd have to cancel our reservation and book us a new one using todays prices. The difference between what we paid for our Cat E2 and today's price for E1 is $1500.

That just doesn't sound logical to me so I'm wondering if anyone hear knows how it works.

Thanks!

I would hate to cancel any of my cruises, especially a 2-weeker!!:eek: If it were me and I really wanted to change cabins, I would cancel the one through the TA (I always book on-line myself), and then call the RCI 800 number to see exactly how much it would cost to re-book the same cruise in a different cabin; you might just be surprised and maybe pleased!!;) Hey, it could happen!!:rolleyes:

E2's do not connect. They have vanity chair and a love seat. OP can't sit on a love seat?

I believe the OP is under the impression that the only seating available is a single chair. If there is a love seat in addition, I think the OP would be fine with the E2 cabin. If that's the case, I hope she sees this before cancelling. :)

(Plus, and E2 is a balcony stateroom, so they'll have a couple chairs on the balcony, as well. Not cushy, upholstered chairs, though.)

Edited by Paul65

Think of what you paid for your original cabin as a 'downpayment' for your new cabin. You pay whatever TODAY'S price is on the new cabin, MINUS the amount you paid for your original cabin. Here is an example:

Original cabin paid at time of booking - $1000

New cabin at today's rates - $1200

Amount owed to change to new cabin = $200

Assuming this is the OP's TA on 10/17 the price right now for an E1 is $4005.26. For it to cost them $1500 more today to switch they must be paying $2505.26 for their current E2 cabin

Yes, that part makes total sense (not sure why the OP is confused about why they need to pay the difference), but I'm still confused about where the OP is getting the $33 difference. Oh well, it doesn't matter since the price difference, regardless of what they assumed, is not $33, lol.

Yes, that part makes total sense (not sure why the OP is confused about why they need to pay the difference), but I'm still confused about where the OP is getting the $33 difference. Oh well, it doesn't matter since the price difference, regardless of what they assumed, is not $33, lol.

The difference TODAY between an E1 and E2 on their sailing is $16 pp- x2= $32 - I'm assuming that is how they looked at it

Is that right OP????:)

Edited by molly361

It's really not that complicated. The price difference between and E1 and E2 is $33 at current rates. Current rates just happen to be a lot higher than the OP's original booking, so she can't change categories without bumping up to those higher current rates. But she's not making up the $33 difference. That's what the difference would be right now, for someone looking at booking this sailing.

Still this is all pretty irrelevant. I think the most important thing for the OP is that her main reason for wanting to change cabins (lack of enough seating in the cabin for two people) is not really an issue.

Edited by Paul65

It's really not that complicated. The price difference between and E1 and E2 is $33 at current rates. Current rates just happen to be a lot higher than the OP's original booking, so she can't change categories without bumping up to those higher current rates. But she's not making up the $33 difference. That's what the difference would be right now, for someone looking at booking this sailing.

Still this is all pretty irrelevant. I think the most important thing for the OP is that her main reason for wanting to change cabins (lack of enough seating in the cabin for two people) is not really an issue.

Ohhhhh, thank you!!!! Now I get it. Sheesh.

This is getting out of hand. Its easy Math.

It is easy math, as long as you understand what the person is talking about in the first place. It made no sense to me why they were mentioning the $33 price difference when it seemed to have nothing to do with the price difference he/she needed to pay to upgrade. Turns out that was exactly the issue- the $33 was completely irrelevant and just confused the situation.

I guess they were just mentioning it because they assumed that because there was so little difference between categories that it would also mean the price for both categories would not have changed much...not sure why they would assume that because as Paul said, the price difference between 2 categories today doesn't have a thing to do with the price you paid for your category months ago. Why would the cruise line only charge you the difference between categories at current prices?

I guess that was their logic though, and I suppose if you've never cruised before and didn't know about how the pricing worked, you might make that assumption. But since I know that's not the case, his reference to that price difference was frustrating the heck out of me because it made absolutely no sense :)

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Once when we had a cabin booked....different cruise company...I asked about upgrading from an inside to a balcony and the price that was quoted was the price at the time when I booked the original cabin....didn't have to cancel...they just adjusted price as to what is was at the time of booking 6 months previously.

On Disney, I bet. They have that policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Molly. You understand and I appreciate it!

But for those who don't get it yet, I didn't realize we couldn't upgrade by just paying the difference between the two fares, whether they used today's pricing or yesterday's. I was surprised they have a policy that discourages their customers from upgrading so that's why I asked.

I wrote that I thought it would be $200 or less since it's only a $33 difference today, recognizing they might ask me to pay the difference between what the fares were when I booked and I don't know what an E1 cost at that time.

Yes, we got a killer deal, $2500. We booked a year ago, onboard the Freedom.

There's no reason to insult me or chastise me or treat me like an idiot. I came on to ask a question because I wasn't sure the TA had given me good information. I already responded to the early replies, thanked the responders and said I learned my lesson. We've never changed a cruise reservation before and I guess that makes me a dummy in some people's eyes and they feel compelled to point it out on a public message board. Repeatedly. But it's OK, I'm a big girl and I can handle it.

In the meantime, RCCL told me we only have a chair in our cabin. Unless I can find pictures that prove otherwise, I'm going with that.

But for those who don't get it yet, I didn't realize we couldn't upgrade by just paying the difference between the two fares, whether they used today's pricing or yesterday's. I was surprised they have a policy that discourages their customers from upgrading so that's why I asked.

I wrote that I thought it would be $200 or less since it's only a $33 difference today, recognizing they might ask me to pay the difference between what the fares were when I booked and I don't know what an E1 cost at that time.

There's no reason to insult me or chastise me or treat me like an idiot. I came on to ask a question because I wasn't sure the TA had given me good information. I already responded to the early replies, thanked the responders and said I learned my lesson. We've never changed a cruise reservation before and I guess that makes me a dummy in some people's eyes and they feel compelled to point it out on a public message board. Repeatedly. But it's OK, I'm a big girl and I can handle it.

In the meantime, RCCL told me we only have a chair in our cabin. Unless I can find pictures that prove otherwise, I'm going with that.

Try going to You Tube and type in the ship and cabin number and you might find a video of your room, or just try the ship and type in E2 cabin and you should get some videos that way.

As I posted, your cabin should have a loveseat, UNLESS it is a connecting cabin.

What is your cabin number?

Try going to You Tube and type in the ship and cabin number and you might find a video of your room, or just try the ship and type in E2 cabin and you should get some videos that way.

Really, my question was about how RCI prices an upgrade. It's been answered and put to rest.

I've been on enough cruises to know that you can't assume anything about a cabin by it's category. The deck plan page for each ship has a key at the bottom that gives more specific information for many of the cabins. Some have a 3rd pullman bed available, etc.

Google images has many pictures as well. As does flickr. There are also websites where people post photos of their cabins.

I've found conflicting photos and info about our particular cabin so I called RCI to ask specifically. They said it has only a chair.

All these other exercises are not necessary.

I was trying to direct the conversation back to the seating arrangement earlier, thinking that would be most helpful to the OP. Now, it's obvious that she didn't want help, but merely wanted to vent about the cost to upgrade.

Oh well....