Internet on Serenade

Did a transatlantic on the Navigator a few months ago and purchased the Voom Surf + Stream package. It worked well for our purposes. We will be leaving the end of the month on the Serenade. I want to make WIFI based calles and don't really require video streaming like netflix, or facetime, however I was wondering with the BASIC Internet package if I will be able to make voice calls via, WHATSAPP, or similar applications...any input?

Did a transatlantic on the Navigator a few months ago and purchased the Voom Surf + Stream package. It worked well for our purposes. We will be leaving the end of the month on the Serenade. I want to make WIFI based calles and don't really require video streaming like netflix, or facetime, however I was wondering with the BASIC Internet package if I will be able to make voice calls via, WHATSAPP, or similar applications...any input?

Hard to say as the internet service levels onboard seems to be a moving target. We've seen reports from some that say they can make voice calls with the basic package, but then we've seen speed tests where it seems they have lowered the speed since VOOM was first introduced.

If you are seeing a discount to purchase pre-cruise, then I'd go for the stream package as the cost is not that much more in the big scheme of things and you are assured of the best service the ship will have when you cruise.

Hard to say as the internet service levels onboard seems to be a moving target. We've seen reports from some that say they can make voice calls with the basic package, but then we've seen speed tests where it seems they have lowered the speed since VOOM was first introduced.

If you are seeing a discount to purchase pre-cruise, then I'd go for the stream package as the cost is not that much more in the big scheme of things and you are assured of the best service the ship will have when you cruise.

Thanks for the advice Bob!

A couple of months ago I did a Baltic cruise on the Serenade, where the ship's internet was really terrible. There are a couple of threads from June that highlight that. Assuming that your upcoming Serenade cruise is the westbound TA, please note that this is the most northerly TA itinerary this year, so you may not be able to get internet performance on a par with what Navigator offered, since that was a more southerly route.

Would be interesting to know from recent Norwegian Fjords cruisers on the Serenade, what the internet performance was like in that area.

A couple of months ago I did a Baltic cruise on the Serenade, where the ship's internet was really terrible. There are a couple of threads from June that highlight that. Assuming that your upcoming Serenade cruise is the westbound TA, please note that this is the most northerly TA itinerary this year, so you may not be able to get internet performance on a par with what Navigator offered, since that was a more southerly route.

Would be interesting to know from recent Norwegian Fjords cruisers on the Serenade, what the internet performance was like in that area.

MMMM....very good information. I think we will just get 2 days free each for my wife and myself of the surf & stream....I'll get the ATT Package Rate ...I think it's something like $30 for 50 min of talk and 50 cents each outgoing text. Hopefully the cell tower on the ship will be fine. Just nice to stay in touch while away.

Just nice to stay in touch while away.

We did the northerly TA two years ago on Legend and had no problem finding a WiFi hot spot somewhere around the port (right at the terminal in Reykjavik - not sure about your other two stops in Iceland).

We did the northerly TA two years ago on Legend and had no problem finding a WiFi hot spot somewhere around the port (right at the terminal in Reykjavik - not sure about your other two stops in Iceland).

Thanks Biker....Leaving from Copenhagen, then Oslo, then onto Iceland, ...stopping at Halifax before ending up in Boston. Have been to Halifax before and WIFI is available at their port.

Chuck,

We are sailing in October on the Serenade on the NE cruise. As someone mentioned, VOOM was still sorely lacking in June on the Serenade. Please let us know what you experience!

Enjoy Norway, it is gorgeous there!

Happy cruising!

Annie

Chuck,

We are sailing in October on the Serenade on the NE cruise. As someone mentioned, VOOM was still sorely lacking in June on the Serenade. Please let us know what you experience!

Enjoy Norway, it is gorgeous there!

Happy cruising!

Annie

I"ll post something when I get back.....not a lot of hope for blazing speed!

• 3 weeks later...
I"ll post something when I get back.....not a lot of hope for blazing speed!

Thank you. I know Husney is also sailing this itinerary and was going to report back on Deck 2. I hope it is at least reasonable. I just need to check in once a day with work and home. I am escaping right after a kid gets their driving permit and work has huge EHR go live! :)

I am also sailing on this itinerary. I have bought the voom package because, I have realised that on port I tend to spend too much time trying to get in touch. Besides there are many seadays and even though the internet conection might not be that great, I am willing to accept it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...