Plan our vacation! Help!

Skyguitar

Hello,

Few facts:

-Never been on a cruise

-Wife and two boys (9 and 6)

-Live in California but do not want to go on Mexico cruise from Long Beach.

-No budget but would prefer to stay below $5K including flight.

-5 to 6 days sound good.

-No destination in mind but somewhere young kids will enjoy.

-Maybe travel this December or January.

I'm thinking Florida departure but don't know.

Please recommend Itinerary and Ship.

Many thanks!

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. A 5 day is a good way to start. I would do a western Caribbean with your boys - stops in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Both are cruiser and kid friendly. Cozumel you could catch a taxi to Chankanab Park- swim lagoon, snorkeling, sea lion show, it's also where they do the dolphin encounter. Grand Cayman could take taxi to beach or the big draw is Stingray Sandbar where you can feed and walk around with the Rays. Maybe look at the Liberty out of Galveston. Bigger ship than the ones out of Florida doing 5 day itineraries. That being said the Fantasy out of Mobile has had upgrades and have enjoyed 2 cruises on her. The bigger ships will likely cost a bit more than the smaller ships. I would get on Carnival's website and search for 5 day cruises for your dates and compare ships/cost and air fare to port city. Good luck and happy cruising!

Edited by mamajules

There is a really nice 6 night cruise on the brand new Carnival Vista from Jan 7 to 13. A family harbor interior cabin is $1884.12 for 4 people and includes all taxes and port charges, plus gratuities of $12.95 per person per night . If I didn't already have 5 cruises booked I would go on this one. Good luck deciding and enjoy whatever you choose. Sorry, can't help with airfare. Vista sails from Miami.

Edited by Namelocg

There is a really nice 6 night cruise on the brand new Carnival Vista from Jan 7 to 13. A family harbor interior cabin is $1884.12 for 4 people and includes all taxes and port charges, plus gratuities of $12.95 per person per night . If I didn't already have 5 cruises booked I would go on this one. Good luck deciding and enjoy whatever you choose. Sorry, can't help with airfare.

This is a great price. If you can spend a bit more, you can get an ocean view if natural light is important to you. I really want to go on this ship!

Hello,

Few facts:

-Never been on a cruise

-5 to 6 days sound good.

Many thanks!

A few thoughts come to mind:

1. Christmas and New Years tend to be the most expensive time of the year to cruise.

2. Early December tends to be one of the most reasonable times of the year to cruise.

3. That time of year, if you're looking for warm weather, the farther south your itinerary takes you in the Caribbean, the warmer it will likely be.

4. Port Canaveral tends to have more flight choices since you're flying into Orlando.

5. If you're beach people, Grand Turk has a free beach as you step off the end of the pier where the ship docks. There are lots of free beach chairs, and Margaritaville is right there too with a large, free swimming pool. http://www.grandturkcc.com/

6. Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic is one of the newest cruise ports in the Caribbean and has lots of water activities for kids. Their huge pool is free, and there is a kid's activity area. http://www.traveladdicts.net/2016/04/inside-amber-cove-cruise-port.html

7. Conquest out of Fort Lauderdale, Vista out of Miami, or Sunshine out of Port Canaveral all cruise to those ports in December/January with 5 or 6 day cruises.

Prices are often low the first 2-3 weeks after Thanksgiving. I can't cruise then since my cruising buddies are in school, so I just look at those prices and weep!

Mahogany Bay, Cozumel, and Grand Caymen offer a variety of family-based excursions. We are headed to the Bahamas for the first time later this month so I can't yet speak from personal experience about that destination.

I suggest you consider a 7 day that will give you 3 ports and 3 sea days. I have never yet been ready to disembark.

It's truly opinion and personal preference, but for what it's worth my grandchildren like the newer, larger ships. The Breeze sails from Galveston. Magic and Dream are both in Florida, I think.

My only real advice is pick your poison, don't look back, and have an incredible journey toward cruise addiction.

What things have you turned off about sailing out of long beach?

Is it the ports on the Mexican Riveria or just want to see something carribean?

I don't know too much about Riveria but I prefer warmer(hot) water and beautiful sand. It looks from YouTube those Meixcan cruise out of long beach goes to Catalina and Tecate. They did not look attractive at all. I'd rather spend little more and go to warm pretty beach to snorkel and see beautiful islands.

Thanks

Edited by Skyguitar

Whatever you choose need to figure out costs of flights, pre-cruise hotel and transportation to port. What about passports?

Could do the 7day Mexican Riviera cruise as a tester cruise if the costs of a Caribbean cruise do not pencil out.

Out of Long Beach- The 3 day goes to Ensenada, the four day adds Catalina.

The 7 day cruises do a three variations of Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

Sailing in the Miracle for the 6th time this December.

Edited by SadieN

Whatever you choose need to figure out costs of flights, pre-cruise hotel and transportation to port. What about passports?

Could do the 7day Mexican Riviera cruise as a tester cruise if the costs of a Caribbean cruise do not pencil out.

Out of Long Beach- The 3 day goes to Ensenada, the four day adds Catalina.

The 7 day cruises do a three variations of Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

Sailing in the Miracle for the 6th time this December.

Unless they are planning on vacationing out of the country in the future I wouldn't spend the money on 4 passports if they don't know if they'll like cruising. I know....what if.:) Of course they may already have passports

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

Prices are often low the first 2-3 weeks after Thanksgiving. I can't cruise then since my cruising buddies are in school, so I just look at those prices and weep!

Mahogany Bay, Cozumel, and Grand Caymen offer a variety of family-based excursions. We are headed to the Bahamas for the first time later this month so I can't yet speak from personal experience about that destination.

I suggest you consider a 7 day that will give you 3 ports and 3 sea days. I have never yet been ready to disembark.

It's truly opinion and personal preference, but for what it's worth my grandchildren like the newer, larger ships. The Breeze sails from Galveston. Magic and Dream are both in Florida, I think.

My only real advice is pick your poison, don't look back, and have an incredible journey toward cruise addiction.

I agree, do a 7 day. After spending all that money on flights and flying across the country, 5 days is way too short.

Bill

Do a 6-day or 7-day cruise. You won't be spending that much more, and you can get to more ports that way. If you gotta spend a full day flying each way, make it worthwhile.

Galveston - do a 7-day, lots of great excursions for the kids at Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Cozumel. Either itinerary.

Florida - lots to choose from.

Dec and Jan... remember, they still have winter (cooler air and water temps) in the Caribbean, though the farther south you go, the warmer it gets. Just another reason to do a longer cruise.

Go to your local library and get out Caribbean cruise books.To have a successful cruise(s), vacation, you need to become informed. No stranger can plan your vacation. Fodors, Lonely Planet and Frommers Caribbean Ports are excellent. Weeks after Thanksgiving through second week of December lowest priced and no hurricanes.

Edited by zoncom

As others have said, do a 7 day since you'll already have spent the money on the flight the cost of the extra days on the ship will be very small. My recommendation is to find a cruise that goes to Half Moon Cay. I personally like the Eastern Caribbean over the Western, that being said most of mine have been Western. If you do go Western get to Roatan. I am sure I'll get flamed for this, but I would avoid a Fantasy class ship. There are no decks close to the water and they are showing their age in comparison to the newer ships. I am booked on my first ship with the 2.0 upgrades and I am looking forward to it.

Hi all,

Yes we do all have passport. Is Mexican Riviera cruise comparable to Western Caribbean cruise in terms of beach and fun excursion? Or is there really no comparison?

Thanks again!

you really should get on the Carnival website and go to the Shore Excursions. You can compare better there, and you know what you and family like to do best.

Hi all,

Yes we do all have passport. Is Mexican Riviera cruise comparable to Western Caribbean cruise in terms of beach and fun excursion? Or is there really no comparison?

Thanks again!

Mexican Riviera cruises are fun, however, it's cold out on deck until you get south of San Diego. The water is a deep blue and the water is cold.

Western Caribbean is warm. Temperature wise and water temp wise. I don't think there is a comparison. Western carib is much more fun.

Hi all,

Thanks again!

We have done the Mexican Riviera several times in Dec and Jan. We love it! Super warm and lots to do! Do not know if it is comparable to a Caribbean cruise, but I do know that my kids loved it! Jan. is a perfect time to see whales also! We did independent study for a week and called it a whale watching adventure!

Without airfare you could splurge for a balcony! You should totally do the 7 day!

Edited by louanne93

As others have said, do a 7 day since you'll already have spent the money on the flight the cost of the extra days on the ship will be very small. My recommendation is to find a cruise that goes to Half Moon Cay. I personally like the Eastern Caribbean over the Western, that being said most of mine have been Western. If you do go Western get to Roatan. I am sure I'll get flamed for this, but I would avoid a Fantasy class ship. There are no decks close to the water and they are showing their age in comparison to the newer ships. I am booked on my first ship with the 2.0 upgrades and I am looking forward to it.

I have to agree with the Fantasy Class comment. While our first cruise was on that class, when traveling across the country with a family it would be more worth while to book a ship that has more amenities.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When you starting brand new sorting through it all is difficult. One piece of advice is you could google for cruise discount web sites and some have very sortable pages so you can see list of cruises very quickly sorted by ports, cruise line, date, destinations and other criteria.

Like earlier someone mentioned Carnival Dream which is no longer where they said but sails out of New Orleans.

Also right now I would not recommend the Dream this December or January for a first cruise as it heads for dry dock in February. The other choice out of New Orleans is 5 day and just Cozumel and Progreso. Not what I would recommend for first cruise with young kids given the choices out of other ports if you are flying anyway.

BUT other than those reasons above I think New Orleans is other wise great, especially since it is less than an half hour from my house.

Hi all,

Thanks again!

We've done the Mexican Riviera twice since we live in Cali and Long Beach is the closest port to us. Cabo is beautiful. We went snorkeling there and the water was just perfect. Puerto Vallarta is also nice. Haven't done any excursions there since the last time we went ours was cancelled. They do have a cool boardwalk area though that you can take a taxi too for a cheap charge.

Can't speak on Mazatlan or Catalina. If you do decide to do a Mexican Riviera cruise i suggest an itinerary that has 2 days in Cabo and 1 day in PV, but that will have to be a 6 or 7 day cruise. Plus like someone else said, since you won't be flying across the country you could splurge on a balcony or even a suite.

Don't do the 3 or 4 day cruise out of Long Beach. It's not a good way to experience your first cruise.

I would recommend at least 7 days.

We cruise the Mexican Riviera a lot because it's close and we enjoy it but there is no comparison to the caribbean as far as beaches, warm, turquoise water.

You might want to consider two cabins, one for you and one next door or across the hall for your kids.

Enjoy and have fun in the planning.

Hello,

Few facts:

-Never been on a cruise

-5 to 6 days sound good.

Many thanks!

Just checked Carnival Sunshine as its great for kids and has some of the best water slides at sea. There is a cruise 6 days Dec 17th out of Port Canaveral which is a easy port to sail out of and Orlando usually has good rates on flights. There is ONE scenic ocean view room left. They are new at at the front and have floor to ceiling windows!ports are Amber Cove (new port)..Grand Turk (amazing water and beach by ship) and Nassau for $2733

GRAB IT !! Have fun whatever you choose! :D

Welcome to Cruising! I have 4 carnival cruises booked through September 2017. I'm addicted to cruising! Here's my 2 cents:

With cruising ... in my opinion, the ship is as important as the ports. So choose your ship carefully. With kids, you probably want a LARGER ship with the upgrades. More water slides and activities. An easy way to tell which ships have the "2.0 Upgrades" is to see which ones feature Guys Burger Joint.

Based on ships alone, I would suggest: Sunshine, Conquest, Magic, Breeze and Glory. The Vista is the newest ship in the fleet, and if you start with that one you are liable to get "spoiled" and be disappointed with any of the other ships as they don't have quite as many bells and whistles. Why not start with one of the other large ships and save the vista for a future cruise? ...also it's still priced at a premium.

DO NOT FLY IN THE DAY OF YOUR CRUISE! Much too stressful. Plan to fly THE DAY BEFORE ... which means you will want to find a "Stay and cruise" package at a hotel the day before which includes the hotel, breakfast and a shuttle to the port. Pay attention to the location of the hotel and read reviews so you get one with stuff within walking distance to save on taxi fare.

GET Faster to the Fun if available. it's listed under excursions of the port city if it's available and you can only see it once you have ALREADY booked.

I agree with previous posters, don't do a 5 day. Go for the 7 day. You and your kids will thank us later, trust me.

If you are beach/pool people, Grand Turk is the most beautiful beach carnival sails to. In fact, in my opinion, I think it's a better port than Half Moon Cay because of #1. Jacks Shack #2. The option to have shade and food at Margaritaville ...not to mention use of the free pool, and your kids will love Flowrider, so plan on booking that for them at Grand Turk #3, it's a docking port so no chance to be missed, HMC is a tender port so if seas are rough it gets missed and you get another sea day.

Also check out Royal Caribbean! They have some REALLY cool ships and go to similar places. They also have a lot more cabin options. I personally do not like "inside" cabins ... they are small and pitch black and I get claustrophobic. Royal has some cabins which feature "windows" and natural light but overlook the middle of the ship (central park) and are priced a little more than true insides but not as expensive as the ocean views. Some of Royal's ships have zip lines, and the same Flow Rider surf simulator that's in Grand Turk. Keep in mind with Royal, many of those "cool things" on board cost extra, including many of their restaurants ... whereas most of what Carnival offers on board is included. So Royal tends to be more expensive both in the initial booking fare and also onboard ... but again, they are really huge, cool, ships.

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU PICK once you book your cruise!

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude