Bad Roll Call?

Project_gal

Search your name and home city. You will see many sites that will have the information.

I have several government licences so I see my information immediately.:eek:

I would never give my last name. I am talking about first names and city (which is all people usually give). For the heck of it I just searched ours. Nothing.

The information came from the police. That if you give your last name and city, date of sailing, it is very easy for thieves to find out when you are away.

Also, I was told by someone that she posted the name of the company she dealt with for a private tour. Someone was in touch with the company who gave out the organizers information.

It is sad, how difficult it is to stay safe.

Throughout the years, I've come across many different personalities on CC. Most of the "issues" have been resolved via the moderators. Some people have been permanently banned from posting on CC, and in a few cases, Celebrity has banned them from sailing.

Wow, maybe I will stop posting on Roll Calls. That is terrible people would have to actually cancel cruises because of other posters.

I didn't know Celebrity actually banned cruisers because of Cruise Critic Posts. I know they have banned them for other reasons.

Edited by CruisingChick

The information came from the police. That if you give your last name and city, date of sailing, it is very easy for thieves to find out when you are away.

I remember hearing (here and on the news) a few years ago about a theft ring, which involved cruise company (RCCL??) shore-side employees. I think it was someone who worked in the terminal, and knew exactly when the local (South Florida) passengers checked in. They then alerted their co-conspirators, who cased and broke into the houses. So, yeah -- things can happen, even when you carefully guard your personal information. :eek:

Wow, maybe I will stop posting on Roll Calls. That is terrible people would have to actually cancel cruises because of other posters.

AnnaMarie -- I would hope that nothing posted here would deter you, and other wonderful cruisers, from joining and participating in your various roll-calls. We've all met so many terrific people through our cruising experiences. If it weren't for Cruise Critic, we might just all pass like ships in the night! ;)

If your life is threatened as my friends had been, you bet you would cancel a cruise. She involved the police and didnt want to look over her shoulder on a ship. Plenty of cruises, why go with a mad man on the ship.

Yes, be very careful with what you say on CC.

Here is the advice she was given, No real names, no addresses, no city where you are from, do not give out names of any companies you deal with. There is a rule here that you cant give out an agents name but no rule about recommending a tour company. Very easy for someone to find out who you are by contacting the company and asking who is in charge of organizing it.

Yes maybe way too paranoid, but you never know until it happens to you. And I am sure it happens way more than we realize. As most will not post when it happens to them.

Thank you for this topic.

If your life is threatened as my friends had been, you bet you would cancel a cruise. She involved the police and didnt want to look over her shoulder on a ship. Plenty of cruises, why go with a mad man on the ship.

Yes, be very careful with what you say on CC.

Here is the advice she was given, No real names, no addresses, no city where you are from, do not give out names of any companies you deal with. There is a rule here that you cant give out an agents name but no rule about recommending a tour company. Very easy for someone to find out who you are by contacting the company and asking who is in charge of organizing it.

Yes maybe way too paranoid, but you never know until it happens to you. And I am sure it happens way more than we realize. As most will not post when it happens to them.

Thank you for this topic.

So if your friend's life was threatened and she went to the police, and it is so easy for people to figure out who you are, then why was that person not identified and prevented from being on the cruise in the first place? I do not mean this to sound as smarmy as it might - the problem with the written word rather than a face to face conversation - this is a legitimate question. Why was that person not found and removed from the sailing? Threating someone's life has got to be a crime, doesn't it? At the very least, the police could have notified Celebrity who then legally could have cancelled their sailing. I just honestly do not understand why that scenario did not happen rather than your friend needing to cancel the cruise.

I do agree that last names should not be given on CC (or any online forum for that matter). I never thought about the tour company thing. I guess that could happen, but really, what are the odds? I suspect infinitesimal. If someone really wants to rob your house, there are multiple ways they can find out you will be gone - from simple observation to your kids taking time off school or telling their friends to you talking about it at work. Care and common sense should be taken of course, but at the same time one can be too paranoid and see danger around every turn. It's a fine line, I know.

I am reading these posts and my mouth is open!

I can't imagine someone on a roll call threatening another pax.

This is not normal and definitely should have been reported.

What a shame.

I recommend CC roll calls to my cruising friends who don't know about it. No complaints yet, thank goodness.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

Yes, of course if you give your cabin number you can be found. I was referring to finding someone at their home. You do not need to give that info to sign up for Cruise Critic, and even with your name and home city, don't see how that would narrow it down enough for anyone to be able to locate you. Don't think anyone short of the FBI might be that technically sophisticated (if it is even possible at all)

Guess I didn't misunderstand your post after all. :D Google yourself and see what comes up. I had my telephone number deleted but my address is still there...also check your CC profile and don't list your home town...just a geographic location. It's hard because sometimes we develop really neat relationships with the invisible person on the other side and we start to share things that most of the time are ok, but you really don't know who you're talking to, do you? Also be careful about posting pictures that might give away your location....especially if you have children. It's just not the same world we grew up in. :eek:

Guess I didn't misunderstand your post after all. :D Google yourself and see what comes up. I had my telephone number deleted but my address is still there...also check your CC profile and don't list your home town...just a geographic location. It's hard because sometimes we develop really neat relationships with the invisible person on the other side and we start to share things that most of the time are ok, but you really don't know who you're talking to, do you? Also be careful about posting pictures that might give away your location....especially if you have children. It's just not the same world we grew up in. :eek:

I would love to know how to get info wipped off the internet. I "googled" myself and found name, address, etc. That is scary. One site wanted to charge 44.95 to delete the information. I am assuming that is a scam of some sort. The technology has changed so rapidly that laws and law enforcement can't keep up with it.

In some cases it is not even necessary for someone to know your home city. I had a high profile career in local government. Just put my name in a search engine and I can be found. I don't give my last name or email on my posts and only give a cabin # if there is a private excursion we are joining.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

I would love to know how to get info wipped off the internet. I "googled" myself and found name, address, etc. That is scary. One site wanted to charge 44.95 to delete the information. I am assuming that is a scam of some sort. The technology has changed so rapidly that laws and law enforcement can't keep up with it.

Don't worry about it too much.

Most people with careers can be found by googling.

What we are talking about here, is using your last name and city on a website that by virtue of its raison d'etre lets others know when you will be travelling.

I also wouldn't post photos of my family.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

Depending on your state's laws many things are public or available information.

Property Ownership

Licenses

Bonds

Arrest records

Classmate info (websites)

Listings in Obits

Telephone numbers (reverse directories)

Newspaper listing and stories

memberships in organizations.

My years as a male stripper

etc

Edited by neverbeenhere

When I switched my phone service from AT&T/Verizon to our cable company they offered total privacy for my number as well as caller ID and call refusal...all of these were available from prior carrier but you had to pay for them individually....cable company provided it for free....I just googled myself and all that comes us is my town but nothing else...I have also made it my personal policy (and it's hard) to not answer any number that does not appear with a caller's name or that I do not recognize (really handy now with the elections looming). If it's someone I know calling from a number I don't know, they'll leave a message and I'll call them back but most of the time they hang up as soon as answering machine picks up. Something else I learned that's rather interesting...if you get a robo or solicitor call do NOT press the extension # they give you for removal from their list....that only confirms that it's a viable # and it then goes on the "good numbers to sell" list.

I once had someone from CC contact me via my Facebook page - I was shocked. I'm not that computer savvy so I'm not sure how they tracked me down. Luckily they were being supportive over something but still I went back CC and tried to tighten up security. I no longer have my town named in my location.

Edited by Jane2357

I just wanted to respond one more time to people telling me to Google myself. Yes, I understand that with your last name and town, you can be found. I am talking about first name and town. Someone with access and time and desire and strong technical capability could conceivably figure out who I was through my first name and town alone. Those people would be FBI or the like, or someone part of a sophisticated crime ring, who could find that information about me whether I posted my name and town on Cruise Critic or not by hacking the Celebrity site, or my airline records, or my credit card files. That's all I'm saying. Most people are smart enough not to provide last names online to strangers, especially when talking about traveling. I see very, very, very little risk in posting my first name and town. That is all I am saying.

Agreed...kind of

It doesn't take being the FBI. One might reveal their first name, age, birthday, and hometown within their posts here on cruisecritic. They also might post their children's first names and ages. After obtaining just this little info you can be found.

Not paranoia, just informational.

Not withstanding if you were to friend someone here on CC with your facebook or other social media account. Friends of Friends.

Edited by neverbeenhere

Good information, but sometimes a person can get reported even though he/she just responded to a sarcastically rude person's commentI. Someone in that person's fan group reports you and the initial person's response is left on the thread...there are groups on here that buddy up...thank goodness not too many! I think that is absurd, especially when the information is not read to by moderators. It is just like taking words out of context, but even worse! I have read several of these and have been bullied with nothing done. When I inquired about this I was told that "they can't read everything." I agree!! Just don't expect some not to question, as I finally did..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Agreed...kind of

It doesn't take being the FBI. One might reveal their first name, age, birthday, and hometown within their posts here on cruisecritic. They also might post their children's first names and ages. After obtaining just this little info you can be found.

Not paranoia, just informational.

Not withstanding if you were to friend someone here on CC with your facebook or other social media account. Friends of Friends.

Again, talking about first name and town only. No other personal information. So I also agree...kind of.

Depending on your state's laws many things are public or available information.

Property Ownership

Licenses

Bonds

Arrest records

Classmate info (websites)

Listings in Obits

Telephone numbers (reverse directories)

Newspaper listing and stories

memberships in organizations.

My years as a male stripper

etc

I thought I knew you from somewhere! :eek::eek::eek: