Shore Excursion Credit from NCL and using it

Imalismom

I am going on a cruise soon (March 2017), and I have the shore excursion credit. I called to make an excursion reservation, but I wanted to pay for it now. The person on the phone would NOT deduct the shore credit from what was due. They said the only way to get the shore credit was to book, but pay once on board. Since from reading, I know shore excursion prices can (and do) go up in price, the only way to lock in the price was to pay for it in full now. When I stated this to the person, the person on the phone said I would then get the credit in form as on board credit, but when I look at my reservation, the on board credit had not been applied (It has been a month).

Has anyone else had any experience with this same scenario? Did you get the on board credit? Or, what was your experience?

I never use the ships excursions, unless it is in a place where I do not feel 100% safe (which is the case here), so do not normally deal with this situation.

Thanks in advance!

We took the excursion and UBP as our two perks as the other options didn't really excite us. I booked (actually I guess it is reserved) one excursion so far for our cruise in December. I got a confirmation email from NCL but based on your post I just went back and looked and it doesn't show the price we booked it at. Never dawned on me that the price could change between now and then and I have no proof of what I agreed to.

<snip>

Has anyone else had any experience with this same scenario? Did you get the on board credit? Or, what was your experience?

<snip>

I'm so glad you brought this up. I posted a related question about the shore ex credit to my roll call and haven't received any answers or comments. We, too, have the shore ex credit and from what I understand, you must either wait until you're onboard or call a "special phone number" to book your shore excursions to use the credit. But I haven't called them yet, and wonder if I'll run into the same problems as you have. For a few of the ports on our cruise, there are only afternoon shore excursions available, so I'm wondering if the morning tours are already sold out......and if so, will there be anything available if we wait (until we're on-board) to book something??

Hoping to hear any personal experience from recent cruisers, too.

Best wishes!

I'm so glad you brought this up. I posted a related question about the shore ex credit to my roll call and haven't received any answers or comments. We, too, have the shore ex credit and from what I understand, you must either wait until you're onboard or call a "special phone number" to book your shore excursions to use the credit. But I haven't called them yet, and wonder if I'll run into the same problems as you have. For a few of the ports on our cruise, there are only afternoon shore excursions available, so I'm wondering if the morning tours are already sold out......and if so, will there be anything available if we wait (until we're on-board) to book something??

Best wishes!

I did book the one I got using the number, and it was explained that the two options were to reserve using the number (and then payment will be charged to your onboard account) or to wait to book onboard. If you try to book and pay in advance the credit won't apply, or so I was told. Does raise the question of what happens if the price changes in the mean time. If its one you absolutely don't want to miss, I would go ahead and call the number to get a reservation. I was assured that you could cancel onboard so if something better is available you could book that and cancel the current one.

Best wishes!

We didn't choose that option because of this. On our upcoming cruise many of the excursions are afternoon only...because the ship only spends a half day or so in the port. Very disappointing compared to all our previous NCL cruises, last one being two years ago

We called, booked and received confirmation with price of excursion. We will then see the charge on our statement when we cruise with the $50 credit after we take the excursion. Very happy to not have to pay ahead and happy to book an excursion that usually goes fast.

I did use the special number. I did not have a choice of what I wanted to choose, they gave me all four when I booked since we are in a suite. This excursion is in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, and we have two sea days after that - so I guess I will see if they apply the $50 credit after that.

I have the confirmation that the excursion has been paid in full. I will be booking others excursion through private vendors so this is only one I have a question about.

Best wishes!

we have the same credit, what is the special number?

so I guess I will see if they apply the $50 credit after that.

They will apply the credit to your onboard account after you take the excursion. The reason for this is the cancellation windows are open up to 24 hours before the excursion in most cases.

We have the shore excursion promo on a cruise in January. Here's how you use it. First, log on to your vacation summary and print out a copy of the excursion info showing the price, so you'll have that (once you book, the price will show as $0).

Then call the NCL shore excurusion desk at 866-625-1167. Give them your confirmation number; they will pull up your reservation and see that you have the shorex credit. You will then book the excursion at the price shown that day on the web site, but you won't pay for it then. The price will be charged to your on board account after the excursion is taken, and the $50 credit will also be applied. Ask the NCL rep to send you an email confirmation of your booking, showing the price. Some of them will say they are unable to do this (show the price) but some of them know how. (They have to click and store the reservation in pre-sale mode and send you the confirmation with the price, then return the reservation to the sale mode.)

In any event, I have been assured by all of the Shorex people to whom I have spoken (as well as my PCC) that the booking price is what you will be charged, even if the price later goes up.

I have two excursions booked this way, and I also have written confirmation of the price from NCL. Even if the shorex rep somehow can only send you booking confirmation without a price showing, get their name and the assurance that the price you will be charged is the price at the time of booking, and make a note of your call and the person's name.

Has NCL made this more complicated than it needs to be? Well, yes. :)

Edited by Turtles06

Imalismom;

I have booked 3 shore excursions for our upcoming cruise in October. I also chose the shore excursion credit. ($50 each port up to 4 ports). I have paid for all 3 excursions upfront on my credit card. The shore excursion credit will be added to my onboard spending account on the first day of the cruise. When I log in to my NCL account, I don't see any credits, but I did confirm with the rep as to when they will appear.

I specifically wanted to pay up front because I'm Canadian and anything I prepay prior to my cruise I pay in Canadian dollars at the booking exchange rate of when I booked my cruise which is a huge difference right now with the exchange rate. :)

<snip>

Has NCL made this more complicated than it needs to be? Well, yes. :)

I think I definitely agree with your statement! But I wanted to thank everyone for all your comments and information and details, it's very helpful to get so much input. Love this community, and thank you all again!

Best wishes!

Imalismom;

I have booked 3 shore excursions for our upcoming cruise in October. I also chose the shore excursion credit. ($50 each port up to 4 ports). I have paid for all 3 excursions upfront on my credit card. The shore excursion credit will be added to my onboard spending account on the first day of the cruise. When I log in to my NCL account, I don't see any credits, but I did confirm with the rep as to when they will appear.

I specifically wanted to pay up front because I'm Canadian and anything I prepay prior to my cruise I pay in Canadian dollars at the booking exchange rate of when I booked my cruise which is a huge difference right now with the exchange rate. :)

Thank-you!! - will you please let me know if you had any trouble once you get back from your cruise?

I think I definitely agree with your statement! But I wanted to thank everyone for all your comments and information and details, it's very helpful to get so much input. Love this community, and thank you all again!

Best wishes!

I want to echo this thank you......

• 2 months later...

Cruising777 have you gone on your cruise yet, and if so, how was your experience with the shore credits? I'm also in Canada and am curious how the exchange rate is handled - ie is it also "frozen", like the cost of the excursion, at whatever it was the day you booked, or did you end up paying more when you actually took the excursions because it had gone up since you booked?

Imalismom;

I did use the special number. I did not have a choice of what I wanted to choose, they gave me all four when I booked since we are in a suite. This excursion is in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, and we have two sea days after that - so I guess I will see if they apply the $50 credit after that.

I have the confirmation that the excursion has been paid in full. I will be booking others excursion through private vendors so this is only one I have a question about.

If you booked and paid for an excursion it does not qualify for the Shore Excursion credit from the promotion. If you want the credit, call back, cancel and rebook so that you pay onboard.

You can call the main NCL number, select the Shore Excursion option and book with an agent, you don't have to use the special number to make reservations.

The credit is per excursion, so if you only book one excursion you only get one $50 credit. You can apply the promotion to up to 4 ports for a max of $200 for a cruise/cabin. For locations like Bermuda it works out to a per day credit since the port is the same for the duration of the cruise. The credit is applied after the NCL excursion is completed.

If a port is missed or you don't book an excursion through NCL you don't get the credit.

I used the perk on our family cruise in August and just booked 3/4 excursions for my solo holiday cruise. I like the perk as I typically book through the cruise ship if I book an excursion. At the time of booking I was given pricing and that was what we were charged in August. For my cruise in December I recorded the prices so we'll see if that holds true onboard.

Thank-you!! - will you please let me know if you had any trouble once you get back from your cruise?

Cruising777 have you gone on your cruise yet, and if so, how was your experience with the shore credits? I'm also in Canada and am curious how the exchange rate is handled - ie is it also "frozen", like the cost of the excursion, at whatever it was the day you booked, or did you end up paying more when you actually took the excursions because it had gone up since you booked?

We have returned from our cruise and everything went perfectly with the credits. We paid CAD$ when I booked the excursions before at the rate that I booked the cruise at. The credits do NOT show up anywhere prior to the cruise, you will receive the credit the day you arrive at port and attend the excursion. These credits are considered refundable credits which means if you don't use all of them, they will be refunded to you. **Also any purchases made onboard if you don't have any onboard credits will be charged to you in USD $. The best thing to do is book everything at least 3 days before the cruise departs to ensure you receive the CAD exchange rate from your cruise. **Also you have to book and pay prior to the cruise to receive the exchange rate at booking, don't book things online as you will not receive the CAD $ quoted online.

I also purchased onboard credits prior to my cruise to add to my account. I did this prior because it was also the same exchange rate from my cruise booking. We did not use all the credits I purchased so I am being refunded the balance by cheque in the mail. The cheque will be in USD $ which is awesome because I basically purchased the cash @ 11% exchange as opposed to 36% exchange! I really recommend doing this as well, if you don't mind waiting for the money to be returned to you.

Edited by cruising777

If you booked and paid for an excursion it does not qualify for the Shore Excursion credit from the promotion. If you want the credit, call back, cancel and rebook so that you pay onboard.

You can call the main NCL number, select the Shore Excursion option and book with an agent, you don't have to use the special number to make reservations.

The credit is per excursion, so if you only book one excursion you only get one $50 credit. You can apply the promotion to up to 4 ports for a max of $200 for a cruise/cabin. For locations like Bermuda it works out to a per day credit since the port is the same for the duration of the cruise. The credit is applied after the NCL excursion is completed.

If a port is missed or you don't book an excursion through NCL you don't get the credit.

I used the perk on our family cruise in August and just booked 3/4 excursions for my solo holiday cruise. I like the perk as I typically book through the cruise ship if I book an excursion. At the time of booking I was given pricing and that was what we were charged in August. For my cruise in December I recorded the prices so we'll see if that holds true onboard.

We just returned from our cruise and I have to disagree with your comment "If you booked and paid for an excursion it does not qualify for the Shore Excursion credit from the promotion. If you want the credit, call back, cancel and rebook so that you pay onboard"

For Canadians, it's best to book and pay prior to the cruise as we receive a better exchange rate and also we did qualify for the shore excursion credits by booking prior to the cruise. The onboard credit appears after you have done your excursion at the port. If you pay onboard, you will be charged in USD$ at the exchange rate for the day. We saved 25% exchange by booking prior to the cruise!

We just returned from our cruise <snip> The onboard credit appears after you have done your excursion at the port. If you pay onboard, you will be charged in USD$ at the exchange rate for the day. We saved 25% exchange by booking prior to the cruise!

Thank you for letting us know....

We just returned from our cruise and I have to disagree with your comment "If you booked and paid for an excursion it does not qualify for the Shore Excursion credit from the promotion. If you want the credit, call back, cancel and rebook so that you pay onboard"

For Canadians, it's best to book and pay prior to the cruise as we receive a better exchange rate and also we did qualify for the shore excursion credits by booking prior to the cruise. The onboard credit appears after you have done your excursion at the port. If you pay onboard, you will be charged in USD$ at the exchange rate for the day. We saved 25% exchange by booking prior to the cruise!

Great, the terms changed and worked for you! I recall changes, but not specifically what they were, thanks.

I just booked my excursions without payment over the weekend as those were the instructions/terms when I booked the cruise and selected this promotion.

Great, the terms changed and worked for you! I recall changes, but not specifically what they were, thanks.
As far as I know, the terms have always said "Shore excursion credit can only be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard." But there have been lots of reports since the promo started from people saying that they booked and prepaid online and still got the credit onboard.

We have returned from our cruise and everything went perfectly with the credits. We paid CAD$ when I booked the excursions before at the rate that I booked the cruise at. The credits do NOT show up anywhere prior to the cruise, you will receive the credit the day you arrive at port and attend the excursion. These credits are considered refundable credits which means if you don't use all of them, they will be refunded to you. **Also any purchases made onboard if you don't have any onboard credits will be charged to you in USD $. The best thing to do is book everything at least 3 days before the cruise departs to ensure you receive the CAD exchange rate from your cruise. **Also you have to book and pay prior to the cruise to receive the exchange rate at booking, don't book things online as you will not receive the CAD $ quoted online.

I also purchased onboard credits prior to my cruise to add to my account. I did this prior because it was also the same exchange rate from my cruise booking. We did not use all the credits I purchased so I am being refunded the balance by cheque in the mail. The cheque will be in USD $ which is awesome because I basically purchased the cash @ 11% exchange as opposed to 36% exchange! I really recommend doing this as well, if you don't mind waiting for the money to be returned to you.

Excellent information! I believe with my booking a $50/port up to four ports is included. I am not planning on taking any of NCL's excursions. I have found outside ones that are more to my liking. I am wondering, does the OBC intended for excursions have to be used for excursions? Can we use it for other things on the ship? If we do not use it as intended will it be reimbursed to us in a check after? (as you stated previously)

Excellent information! I believe with my booking a $50/port up to four ports is included. I am not planning on taking any of NCL's excursions. I have found outside ones that are more to my liking. I am wondering, does the OBC intended for excursions have to be used for excursions? Can we use it for other things on the ship? If we do not use it as intended will it be reimbursed to us in a check after? (as you stated previously)

They have to be used for NCL excursions through the ship from what I understand.

Shore Excursion Credit Offer:

$50 shore excursion credit is per stateroom.

Limit 4 ports.

Shore excursion credit is applicable for each port, and is not transferable to other ports. Use the credit or lose it.

Limit 4 ports. Credit has no monetary value and is nonrefundable.

Itineraries visiting less than 4 ports for any reason are not eligible for a refund or credit.

In the event a port of call is missed, for any reason, no refund or credit will be issued.

Does not include embarkation and debarkation ports. Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion credit.

Shore excursion credit can only be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard.

Shore excursion credit has no monetary value, is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

It's not an OBC, period. It's a promo that will take $50 off the cost of an NCL excursion (for up to four excursions) if you book and pay for the excursion. That's it, use it on an excursion or lose it, it's not something that will be reimbursed to you if you don't nor can you use it for anything else.