Hot Tubs on the Liberty

Last cruise on Navigator, the main pool area hot tubs have to be kept a lower temperature since children may be in those. The Solarium is usually hotter since it is typically for adults. ( at least that is what the towel station employee told me)

USPH requirements say that if you keep the hot tubs at or around the 104*F that most folks like, you need to disable the air jets, while if the tubs are kept cooler, then you can have air jets. It all has to do with legionella (Legionnaire's disease). It turns out that 104*F is the prime breeding temperature of legionella, so it can grow in the hot tub water, and then the air jet aerosolizes it, which is just the transmission mode it needs to enter the human body. Legionella is a particularly nasty fellow to get rid of, even at the elevated chlorine levels in shipboard hot tubs, which is why they are drained daily and superchlorinated to 100ppm to eliminate the biofilm on the insides of the piping system.

USPH requirements say that if you keep the hot tubs at or around the 104*F that most folks like, you need to disable the air jets, while if the tubs are kept cooler, then you can have air jets. It all has to do with legionella (Legionnaire's disease). It turns out that 104*F is the prime breeding temperature of legionella, so it can grow in the hot tub water, and then the air jet aerosolizes it, which is just the transmission mode it needs to enter the human body. Legionella is a particularly nasty fellow to get rid of, even at the elevated chlorine levels in shipboard hot tubs, which is why they are drained daily and superchlorinated to 100ppm to eliminate the biofilm on the insides of the piping system.

Interesting!

I only used the ones in the solarium on my last cruise, and they were plenty hot.

I will try these.