Trying to decide....

I've not been on IOS, but have been on Anthem, and would definitely opt in favor of IOS, for a couple of reasons. First of all, there was nothing particularly wrong with Anthem, but nothing particularly right, either. Of all the cruises we've been on, and all the RCCL cruises we've been on, its the first ship to which our reaction was just "meh". Probably more importantly however (since, for all I know, IOS is a "meh" as well), is that after several cruises out of NY/NJ -- including cruises that, as a whole, we loved -- we've decided to go back to Florida departures. Unless the weather is unusually warm, you really can't comfortably use a lot of the outdoor facilities, including the pool area and the flow rider, for a day or two down and a day or two on the way back on a cruise from NY/NJ. We've decided that the hassle of having to fly to Florida and back rather than driving to the NJ pier (which is just 30 minutes from where we live) is worth it to be fully on vacation in the warm weather from day one through the last day of the cruise.

I don't think we will ever go on carnival. Have talked to many people and they have pretty much said you get what you pay for. We have had great cruises on RCI and don't really plan on changing

I find that when you are talking about the major mid-level lines -- RCCL, Carnival, NCL, and even Celebrity -- the experience varies more ship to ship than line to line. The three best cruises I've ever been on were on Oasis (RCCL), Gem (NCL) and Pride (Carnival). The three weakest (with the caveat that the worst day at sea is better than the best day on land) were Dawn (NCL), Anthem (RCCL) and (talk about not "getting what you pay for") QE II (Cunard). There is as wide a difference in different Carnival ships as there is between the Oasis class and the Sovereign class on RCCL -- which is huge. Contrary to what someone else posted, I don't think its particularly "sad" when someone decides to stay with one line, but I sure wouldn't make my choice based on broad characterizations about the line as a whole rather than a particular ship.

Have you looked at the Freedom of the Seas? I thought it sailed out of Orlando, and it's a 7 nighter. Actually I think it often alternates between 6 nights and 8 nights.

The liberty of the seas that leaves out of Galveston, Texas is also a 7 nighter (but Galveston is kind of a pain to get to because you have to pay for an expensive shuttle between the airport and the port which adds a few hundred bucks to the bill for a family of 4).

If money isn't a big deal, try the adventure of the seas out of Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Booking the 5 day Independence, coupled with a two night pre-hotel stay sounds perfect. (I am ready to head home on the last day of a cruise, personally). I know you and your DW have already cruised on the IOS, but it will be your boys' first cruise and you will have a blast seeing it through their fresh eyes, (and save $ over the Anthem).

Relax in warm, sunny Ft. Lauderdale for a few days. Explore Las Olas Blvd. (shops, restaurants, galleries https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34227-d116458-Reviews-Las_Olas_Boulevard-Fort_Lauderdale_Broward_County_Florida.html),

take the Water Taxi, etc. On sailing day you can have a leisurely breakfast, and then be one of the first people to board. :)

Edited by jmf123

So - I think that your boys would enjoy any ship that has a flowrider on it...

I am the planner for our family vacations - we are going away next April as well. Where are you traveling FROM and how will you get to the ports? Airfare for us to travel anywhere around school vacation is a fortune.

We live near Boston - last year I priced out cruising from Florida but airfare was going to be nearly $1000/person even with days before/after to avoid the weekends. I would definitely factor that into the financials - last year we ended up cruising out of Galveston on Navigator because airfare was $1000 for all 4 of us and the cruise was less than going out of NJ or Florida. We enjoyed cruising out of Galveston and opted to check out the revamped Liberty for our April 2017 cruise.

We are probably 90% sure we are going to book the 5 day Indy cruise. It's a ship we are familiar with and while it's a few years old it still has that "wow" factor. I think it's a great ship for the boys first cruise. While I would kind of prefer a 6 or 7 day cruise.....the price is right and we are going to stay a couple days in ft lauderdale before the cruise. We have always loved leaving out of ft lauderdale and think the boys will love the beach, the water taxi, etc...Labadee will be great for the boys as there is tons of things for the boys as we relax on the beach. Not sure about Falmouth as our first cruise we went on stopped at ochos rios but I'm sure we can find something fun. I would like to thank everyone who has chimed in. I have really read every comment. I even did some research on Carnival and looked at what they have to offer. It just really came down to prior experiences and we have been very happy with what RCL has to offer.

One of the cruises we were looking at, but have decided against, was a cruise out of New Jersey and its first port is Orlando

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/7NightBahamasCruise-AN7BH012?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO&sDateMin=2017-04-01&sDateMax=2017-04-09&sailDate=04%2F02%2F2017

Edited by banshee72

Why do you keep saying the ships stops in Orlando?

One of the cruises we were looking at, but have decided against, was a cruise out of New Jersey and its first port is Orlando

I don't understand why, but sometime in the last year or so, Royal has been referring to Port Canaveral as Orlando. Seems that this would be confusing to people who are new to cruising.

I don't understand why, but sometime in the last year or so, Royal has been referring to Port Canaveral as Orlando. Seems that this would be confusing to people who are new to cruising.

I don't know why they don't list it like they do with many of the European ports and put the major city (Orlando) in brackets after the actual port stop. I wonder how many people think they will be getting off the ship and have a quick cab ride to Disney.

I don't know why they don't list it like they do with many of the European ports and put the major city (Orlando) in brackets after the actual port stop. I wonder how many people think they will be getting off the ship and have a quick cab ride to Disney.

They do it the exact opposite way. The port is put in brackets after the highlighted Major City. i.e: Ephesus (Kusadasi), Athens (Piraeus), Rome (Civitavecchia), Paris (Le Havre).

I have to say I´ve not been on Indy or Anthem, but on their sisters Freedom and Ovation.

It´s a no brainer for me that Indy wins Hands down. I´m sorry but to me Quantum class ships are one big failure in RCI´s history.:(

Dining has been a Desaster.

As for the Carnival discussion. I´m sure they are a good cruiseline and they perfectly fit many People (they wouldn´t be as succesful if they weren´t). I don´t Limit myself to one cruiseline and I think I have been on 8 or 9 different lines. However Carinval is not amongst the lines I would ever consider. Everytime I get into looking at their ships, especially interior pics and cabin pics I come to the conclusion it´s not what I want and can get excited about.

Have you thought about the Liberty out of Galveston? 7 night and pretty good rates. I see some online t/a with group rates as low as $539 for insides, $619 for promenades and $849 for a balcony. Week 1 of April. So with those rates, 2 insides $2500, 2 promenades $2850 or mom n dad in a balcony and kids across the hall in an inside $3100 (all include taxes and fees) Plus all come with obc and the balcony comes with free specialty restaurant I wish I could give you the name of the website but its against the rules to name t/a so you'll have to do some research (if of course this is appealing):D

Plus Galveston is a fun place with Paradise pier etc

OP - Our family also enjoyed Galveston quite a bit (it's why we agreed to go back this year) when we stayed pre-cruise! Visited Houston Space Center, Moody Gardens, Paradise Pier, Ke'mah boardwalk just to name a few...

It CAN be tricky to deal with the car/driving situation - but we got a great deal on a rental car and ended up just parking it at the pier (EZ Cruise Parking with coupon) and it wasn't that bad!

From a ship perspective - Liberty certainly has the most bang for your buck on Freedom class with the restaurants and water slides! I can see teens LOVING the tidal wave slide on Liberty!