Trying to decide....

Planning on bring our boys on their first cruise the first week of April, 2017. My wife and I have been on two other cruises. Both RC ....enchantment and independence.

We have whittled our choices down to two and are finding pros and cons to both and are having a hard time deciding.

(1). 5 night caribbeans cruise from Ft. lauderdale with stops in Labadee and Falmouth. independence of the Seas. Pro- we've been on the ship and loved it. Really like sailing out of ft. lauderdale. Think the boys would like the area as well (15 year old twins and a 12 yr old). The price is right and may stay an extra day or two in ft lauderdale because of that. Con- we've already sailed on the ship and would like to try something different. It's relatively short. 5 nights is the Least I will cruise. Have been to both ports before

2) 7 nights Bahamas cruise from cape liberty, NJ. Stops in Orlando, coco bay, and Nassau. anthem of the seas. pros- it's a brand new ship and it has plenty of activities on board for the boys nod lots to explore. Have never been to the Bahamas. Really like the length of the cruise. Cons- twice as expensive. Reviews of the anthem have been very mixed. Not so sure about NJ as the port of departure or having Orlando as a stop on the cruise.

Has anyone out there sailed on both of the ships? How would you compare the two? Any opinions on the Anthem?

Planning on bring our boys on their first cruise the first week of April, 2017. My wife and I have been on two other cruises. Both RC ....enchantment and independence.

We have whittled our choices down to two and are finding pros and cons to both and are having a hard time deciding.

(1). 5 night caribbeans cruise from Ft. lauderdale with stops in Labadee and Falmouth. independence of the Seas. Pro- we've been on the ship and loved it. Really like sailing out of ft. lauderdale. Think the boys would like the area as well (15 year old twins and a 12 yr old). The price is right and may stay an extra day or two in ft lauderdale because of that. Con- we've already sailed on the ship and would like to try something different. It's relatively short. 5 nights is the Least I will cruise. Have been to both ports before

2) 7 nights Bahamas cruise from cape liberty, NJ. Stops in Orlando, coco bay, and Nassau. anthem of the seas. pros- it's a brand new ship and it has plenty of activities on board for the boys nod lots to explore. Have never been to the Bahamas. Really like the length of the cruise. Cons- twice as expensive. Reviews of the anthem have been very mixed. Not so sure about NJ as the port of departure or having Orlando as a stop on the cruise.

Has anyone out there sailed on both of the ships? How would you compare the two? Any opinions on the Anthem?

Downside of cruising for NY/ NJ in April is the weather could be unpredictable. Weather could still be very chilly the 1st couple of days and the last 2 days coming back. Waters could also still be rough sailing out of NJ in April. If you enjoy cruising out of Ft Lauderdale I would take the 5 day on the Independence and enjoy the warmer weather for the entire cruise

If it was my choice, I would choose the 5 nighter out of Ft Lauderdale on Independence. Especially with taking your two boys. There is plenty to do on that ship and I wouldn't pay twice the fare just for two additional nights on the Anthem.

Con- we've already sailed on the ship and would like to try something different.... Cons- twice as expensive. How would you compare the two?

If you are considering a cruise twice as expensive as the other, I'm assuming that cost isn't a huge criteria for you... so are you travelling for the kids? For the ship experience? or for the ports/itinerary?

In my humble opinion:

12 & two 15 yr olds? --- no brainer, Anthem all the way

Ship? --- even a bigger no brainer, Anthem all the way

Itinerary? --- The 7 day PC/Nassau is one of the worst itineraries in the fleet imho :(

Once you add in the cost of 2 days on land in Florida to the Indy cruise, what's the "new" total in comparison to 7 days on Anthem?

For me this would be a landslide decision if it weren't for the poor PC/Nassau itinerary over 7 days. Is there any way at all you can leave a different week and do the 9 day Caribbean itinerary or the 5 day Bermuda itinerary? You would get the best of all scenarios.

May I ask why you have it narrowed down to these two ships/itineraries? IMO....with the exception of Labadee, these are really bad ports. I wouldn't even get off the ship. There are tons of other options, but maybe there is a reason you narrowed it down to these? Just curious.

May I ask why you have it narrowed down to these two ships/itineraries? IMO....with the exception of Labadee, these are really bad ports. I wouldn't even get off the ship. There are tons of other options, but maybe there is a reason you narrowed it down to these? Just curious.

I have to agree. These ports are among my least favorite and ones I'd probably not get off the ship for. Of course traveling around school schedules could have a lot to do with the choices and prices

Of course traveling around school schedules could have a lot to do with the choices and prices

Yes.... and I now notice Anthem only does the 7 day PC/Nassau itinerary throughout March (spring break?)

However Indy's 5-day balcony rate is $980 (+/- a few bucks depending which week). Anthem's 7-day balcony rate is almost exactly the same so I guess it's up to OP to see where he/she is getting pricing from.

This has now become an absolute no brainer for me... 7 days vs. 5 same price wins hands down on any discussion ever on CC, plus on an incredible new ship, and OP has not been to Nassau or Cococay.

In my humble opinion, Landslide winner = Anthem if price close to the same.

p.s. I'm guessing airfare to NY/EWR vs. FLL is cheaper for OP from Michigan as well??

Edited by Hoopster95

I wouldn't waste my money on a port stop at Cape Canaveral and Nassau. On top of that out of New Jersey at a time of year that the weather is iffy, and even in Fl. And at double the cost? That has to be the worst itinerary I have ever seen. Isn't there a ship out of FL with a 7 night itinerary that isn't double the Indy?

We've been on both ships, in our opinion, the IOS is much better than Anthem, especially if it sails out of Ft. Lauderdale. We didn't care for the dining options on the Anthem, we would rather have the MDR which gives a variety of menus every night. We also had a long wait at the port in

Cape Liberty. Enjoy your cruise no matter which one you choose. :)

Thanks all! I hadn't even thought of the weather! I seem to equate a cruise with warm weather. Not sure what I was thinking. I agree about the itinerary as well. Bahamas sound ok as we have never been there but having a stop in Orlando just doesn't seem right. So, just looking on the RCI site...the total for the 5 night is 2,585 while the 7 night is 5,166. These are prices for interior rooms and of course doesn't account for tips or excursions. So really the 7 day cruise would just be for the newer/bigger ship. Pretty much going to cross that out I think. However I am going to go back and check out that time period to see if I missed something. I know there are other cruises available during that time but most seem to be on smaller/older ships. We really did like the size of Indy and we had a great cruise on her....that's one reason why we are leaning in that direction. A couple people asked if we have to go that week. We pulled the boys out of school last year for vacation and it was a night mare. Teachers weren't good about giving assignments before we left and then they had to play catch up when we returned. It was stressful for everybody and just not worth it. We might consider one of two days....but that's it

IMO, it depends on if you are going for the ship, or the ports. I agree that the Anthem itinerary is not exciting at all, but for teenage boys, Anthem has SO much to do! Yes weather will be cooler the 1st and last day, but Quantum class ships were built for colder weather so there is still plenty to do, and there is still the solarium. If you are going for the ports, I would go with Indy. Have you looked at any 7 nights out of Florida? That would be my pick, but that wasn't listed as an option 😀

Sorry, just saw your last post. I do not think Anthem is worth it for over $5k for inside (I am guessing you are booking 2 rooms?) I understand the school situation. I am taking my son out of school in November, but he is only in 1st grade. I'm thinking I only have a couple more years of being able to that, as they get older it is much more difficult to miss a full week. Good luck with the search, I'm sure whatever you pick you will have a wonderful time!

I haven't been on Anthem yet but have been on Independence and it was one of my favorite ships. Didn't they recently add some things ( like water slides) on their last drydock too?

I live in Queens, NY and have sailed out of the NY area quite a bit but I think I am done taking cruises out of NY unless it is the summer months. Weather has been sketchy on almost every cruise I have taken out of NY even the ones I have taken in May

Look up Carnivals Conquest. April 1st . This is just an EXAMPLE of a great itinerary. There are so many options.

Destinations

Day 1 Ft Lauderdale (Pt Evrglds), FL

Day 2 Fun Day at Sea

Day 3 Fun Day at Sea

Day 4 St. Maarten, NA

Day 5 St Kitts, WI

Day 6 San Juan, Puerto Rico

Day 7 Grand Turk

Day 8 Fun Day at Sea

Day 9 Ft Lauderdale (Pt Evrglds), FL

Total Bill for 4 Inside cabin....$2795.

Do your homework ....there are soooo many options.

I don't think we will ever go on carnival. Have talked to many people and they have pretty much said you get what you pay for. We have had great cruises on RCI and don't really plan on changing

That is too bad and also sad. I do not see much difference between the two cruise lines. I have enjoyed Carnival just as much as RCL. Great food, entertainment and ships. I understand that 5 days or less are booze cruises on Carnival, but that is not the case here. I truly find it sad when people stick with the same cruise line over and over again.