Flying to embarkation port early

fan3car

For this very important and valid reason, if we were driving (even only two hours), we would be leaving at 8 am. Personal choice, but I will tell you that you will need to get to the port, park your vehicle, unload bags and check in - and basically, our philosophy is that we have paid for that first day and want to get there in good time. Your plan to leave at 11 may put you into Orlando at 1, and it may not. What about an accident? Car breaks down? I mean, any number of things could happen.

Better early than late, and you said that yourself. ;):D

Of course the real question is, what ship are they getting on in Orlando?:confused::eek:

Edited by DirtyDawg

Today, Delta Airlines is down worldwide due to computer problems. We never fly in to port city on embarkation day, just because things like this happen and you have no control over it. Do any of you spin the wheel and fly in on embarkation day?

Never, ever. My minimum cussion is four days.

Respectfully, I do realize that lots of people do not have the time to do this.

Can you imagine what a logistics nightmare all those travelers are in. This could be somewhere in the neighborhood of 60,000-70,000 people worldwide.

We live in Virginia. If we had too much of a delay leaving the day before, we could always hop in a rental car and drive about 15 hours to Miami or about 11 hours to Port Canaveral. I say rental car because if there is a problem with the car, you can get another one from the agency pretty quickly instead of a problem with your own car which would definitely be more expensive and time consuming.

We're close enough to drive too -- it's about eight hours to Port Canaveral for us -- but car problems aren't your only consideration. I've told this story lots of times on this board, but when we were heading South for our first-ever cruise, we ran into a MAJOR wreck on the interstate. All the cars were stopped, and people were out of their cars walking around talking to each other. Our now-adult children were still young, and it wasn't a fun time for us. We were on the interstate for two solid hours, and when we started moving again we finally saw the problem: A tractor-trailer truck turned over and burned ON the interstate. We kept saying to each other, "We are so glad that our destination tonight is only the Days Inn".

Before we ever sat foot on our first cruise ship, circumstances had already made us true believers in arriving a day ahead.

You make the assumption that most CAN fly early ie retired. As a consultant, I often fly same day as the lost billable time to fly in several days early would offset the price of the cruise.
A lot of space exists in between "several days early" and "day of". Taking the red-eye the night before the cruise and checking into an inexpensive hotel at midnight still gives you the the buffer you need.

Never, ever. My minimum cussion is four days.

Respectfully, I do realize that lots of people do not have the time to do this.

Can you imagine what a logistics nightmare all those travelers are in. This could be somewhere in the neighborhood of 60,000-70,000 people worldwide.

Four days -- do you mean a cushion? -- is a bit extreme. Most people who work can't manage that.

Today, Delta Airlines is down worldwide due to computer problems. We never fly in to port city on embarkation day, just because things like this happen and you have no control over it. Do any of you spin the wheel and fly in on embarkation day?

:D Absolutely! Whenever we sail from a west coast departure port we fly the same day. We can easily make Los Angeles, Seattle or Vancouver and by booking early, direct flights we even have a "cushion" as there are a number of other flights (on various airlines) that would get us there if need be.

Is it possible that an unforeseen incident could prevent us from making embarkation? Of course - but that's possible for everybody no matter how early they fly in. We're comfortable doing what we do, even understanding the (very modest) risk. Last summer we "played with fire" by flying into Anchorage, with a connection in Seattle on the day-of for our Alaska cruise. That one even required an additional 2 hour bus trip from the airport to Seward. LOL - even with minor delays, which are very frequent in life, we made it just fine and wouldn't hesitate to do it again or recommend it to others.

Simply due to logistics and time zone changes, we can't make it from our home city to any of the Florida ports on the day-of. We try to actually add a couple days to the front end and extend our vacation rather than feeling like we're wasting a day just in transit.

Edited by ronandannette

That's the annoying part. Ship departs at 4pm and I feel like I have to choose between waiting hours upon hours in a port to get on the ship OR potentially be late and miss the whole thing. I guess I could always bring the good old Kindle and resign myself to the boredom of safe planning. I'd really, really hate to miss the boat, but I just can't do the whole trip down to Orlando in one night.

Hi! :o I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just want to be sure: You know your ship is sailing from Port Canaveral, right? That's about 90 minutes in good traffic from Orlando. Make sure you're building-in time for that, no matter where you end up staying the night. When we sailed out of PC we were in Disney beforehand and I believe we did leave Orlando around 11:00 am, which put us there in plenty of time.

I just actually googled Jacksonville to PC. It's about a 3 hour trip basically straight down the coast. You don't actually need to go anywhere near Orlando if you end up stopping for the night in Jacksonville.

Edited by ronandannette

Is it possible that an unforeseen incident could prevent us from making embarkation?

Our big unforeseen when we flew to Miami or San Juan from Minnesota was it was usually still Winter (even in early May we could get snowstorms) and weather could affect all the airlines. MSP is good about clearing snow and having lots of deicers but there are extreme cases once in awhile. So we always did the 2 day cushion.

Now, from WA state that would be a little less risk - but still a day before flight.

Thought occurred to me about the Delta debacle... people with trip insurance that fly same day are putting the insurance company at risk. I would not be surprised to see the terms get changed to prohibit same day fly in - if not already in some policies. At very least a surcharge for same-day flight.

Hi! :o I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just want to be sure: You know your ship is sailing from Port Canaveral, right? That's about 90 minutes in good traffic from Orlando. Make sure you're building-in time for that, no matter where you end up staying the night. When we sailed out of PC we were in Disney beforehand and I believe we did leave Orlando around 11:00 am, which put us there in plenty of time.

I just actually googled Jacksonville to PC. It's about a 3 hour trip basically straight down the coast. You don't actually need to go anywhere near Orlando if you end up stopping for the night in Jacksonville.

Hi, thanks, I am sorry for the confusing wording. I know they're not the same place and we weren't gonna get mixed up; I just keep saying "Orlando" for some reason ><; The plan was to go directly from Jacksonville to PC, although it doesn't need to be Jacksonville either. Basically we just want to stay over at a bit-more-than-halfway point through the night so we don't have to drive the majority of the distance on the day the ship leaves.

Hi, thanks, I am sorry for the confusing wording. I know they're not the same place and we weren't gonna get mixed up; I just keep saying "Orlando" for some reason ><; The plan was to go directly from Jacksonville to PC, although it doesn't need to be Jacksonville either. Basically we just want to stay over at a bit-more-than-halfway point through the night so we don't have to drive the majority of the distance on the day the ship leaves.

Thanks for clarifying - enquiring minds wanted to know!! :D

Do you people realize that you would have missed the ship flying a day early? Some people had to wait a few days before in order to make the ship.

Maybe everyone should start flying in at least three days early.

Also, the vast majority fly in the day of and make it.

No have always gone at least one day early... but today, one day is not enough... Delta's problem is now going on day 3...

A year ago, we were on Air France and they had a strike that was on... we did not know up to 3 or 4 days before whether our flight would go, very stressful... we had booked to arrive a day early but even that would not have helped.

Something I think about when book air for foreign cruises....I consider whether it is possible to catch up with a cruise on a second or third port if necessary.

Our first 3 cruises we flew in the day of. While I knew we had plenty of time to get on the ship, I was always still a little anxious until I was actually walking up the gangway.

Our 4th cruise, we flew into San Juan a day early and had so much fun exploring with our kids that I knew from that point forward I would always fly in at least a day ahead. We also took an extra day at the end just so we wouldn't have to battle the crowds at the San Juan airport.

Last cruise was Alaska, so we had a week prior to boarding to explore inland and then get to Seward the day before to do more stuff there. After the cruise, we explored Vancouver a little bit then took the train to Seattle and explored for 2 days before flying home.

Next up is Hawaii and we will be getting in on a Wednesday and setting sail on a Saturday. Plenty of time to get over the jet lag and explore Oahu. We're also going to take 4 days after the cruise and probably just go chill on Lanai.

Y'all see a pattern emerging here - yeah, I'm all about flying in early and staying an extra day or more when I can.

OOPS - forgot about my Carnival cruise in February. My sister and I drove in a day early just so we could be tourists in a city we used to live in!

Edited by olemissreb

We are flying blind on our first Real Adult™ vacation (yay recent college grads!) so someone please tell me if this is a feasible plan.

... Wake up the following morning and head out maybe 11am and drive the remaining 2 hours to Orlando with hopefully time to spare.

I don't want to leave unnecessarily early, but I would much rather be two hours early than one minute late, and I'm not familiar with traffic in and around Orlando so I want to play it safe.

This is definitely not enough time to get there comfortably, I too would be leaving a couple hours before that.

After watching Southwest and then Delta we formulated our Plan B for our November 10 day Cruise out of San Pedro.

We have reservations on the plane the day before at 10:15 AM at SMF (Central California.)

Any delays, we will grab a seat on the Blue Shuttle to take us back home.

Then we will toss our bags into the trunk of the High speed racer and head South down to San Pedro.

Yes, it will be late when we arrive, 8 hour trip, but we will be in the Hotel the day before.

Bob

Domestic port: I fly the day of the cruise.

I always book the first flight out of the airport, as that flight is (hopefully) less likely

to be delayed.

International: I fly one or two days in advance.

Amsterdam is a great place to spend a few days before the cruise. (or after!)

Sydney was terrific for two days prior to embarkation.

Hong Kong was good for at lesat two days prior ... But the ship was docked there for

an additional day as well.

Rome - always a few days prior.

Southampton ... I love London anytime!

Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Cape Liberty, or Manhattan? Always the day of.

Always early.

Also: I walk off with the first wave of guests, with my luggage in tow, and head

for the airport. Works great every time.

Brian

That's the annoying part. Ship departs at 4pm and I feel like I have to choose between waiting hours upon hours in a port to get on the ship OR potentially be late and miss the whole thing. I guess I could always bring the good old Kindle and resign myself to the boredom of safe planning. I'd really, really hate to miss the boat, but I just can't do the whole trip down to Orlando in one night.

You won't be waiting "hours and hours". You will be able to get on the ship hours before the 4 pm sailing time.

Don't wait until 11 am. Leave early, be relaxed when you board. We met people on a cruise who thought the ship was leaving at 5 pm, when it was leaving at 4 pm. They were a wreck for 5 days, knowing how close they came to not leaving home in time. (Driving, and they very nearly did miss the ship .....)

We leave home usually 4 days ahead of our cruise if we are cruising in the winter. One day for the long highway drive, so we can be in our airport city the night before, so we can sleep in a hotel so we are all "rested" :rolleyes: before our 6ish am flight (first leg, with connections in snow-prone cities). Arrive late, LATE in FLL or TPA or SAN. One full day to recover from the flights, and apologize to each other for being such monsters the night before ;) then a day to enjoy the embarkation city, then boarding day.

We are usually first off the ship, too, to do it all in reverse going home.

We are flying blind on our first Real Adult™ vacation (yay recent college grads!) so someone please tell me if this is a feasible plan.

Boyfriend gets home from work on Friday at 7:30pm and I have the car packed and ready to go. We drive down to Jacksonville, FL from around Salisbury, NC and check into a hotel at whatever ungodly hour in the morning we make it down there. Wake up the following morning and head out maybe 11am and drive the remaining 2 hours to Orlando with hopefully time to spare.

I don't want to leave unnecessarily early, but I would much rather be two hours early than one minute late, and I'm not familiar with traffic in and around Orlando so I want to play it safe.

Just wanted to make sure you knew that although the sailing time is 4pm all passengers must be onboard no later than 2:30!! They usually start letting passengers onboard around 11:30, so you can get on the ship and start your vacation!!!

Port Canaveral will be about 2hrs below Jacksonville straight down the coast.