NCL Breakaway July 31

I don't... what??

Of course you wont get a seat if you just stand there and hope someone offers it up to you. Chair hogs put their stuff down early because they figure no one will call them on it.

It's survival of the fittest, they are not in chair, you take chair, too bad for them when they come rolling back around hours later. Passive people get no chairs, its how things work. People aren't nice so you call them on that and just take a seat.

Simply standing around and saying "Oh well, I guess I wont get a chair because people have some towels down for hours" and then moping away in self pity will guarantee you wont get a chair.

I am not talking about kicking someone out after 5 minutes when they go grab a drink, NCL sets a timeline and posts that, it was an hour last time I was on board, if they arent around for an hour the chair is yours.

So you stand around for an hour before you take someone elses chair?

I don't think they are implying a real confrontation but simply stating the facts/rules will usually defuse the issue. I would have used that same line if someone asked me to vouch for them that they are there first.....especially if they were hoggers. It's up to everyone to help

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If NCL ins't going to take an active role, I am not going to get involved.

I know there are plenty of chair hogs - the ones who put a paperback on the chair or a pair of flip flops or whatever. I just wonder how many of the chairs covered with towels are just like that because people are done.

I am a freak who always clears off my table after eating at the buffet. Many others don't. Are the chairs basically the same? I'm done, so I take my stuff and leave anything else?

I don't really know because chair hogs have never been an issue with me for loungers. I think sitting in the sun is hot and boring.

I know there are plenty of chair hogs - the ones who put a paperback on the chair or a pair of flip flops or whatever.

Or maybe they just have to pee? Or get a drink? Or jump in the pool to cool off? People like you are the problem, when you see a chair like that and automatically think, "chair hog". That makes you the jerk, and not the person doing it.

Or maybe they just have to pee? Or get a drink? Or jump in the pool to cool off? People like you are the problem, when you see a chair like that and automatically think, "chair hog". That makes you the jerk, and not the person doing it.

Law of averages. There can't be that many people all taking a leak at the same time.

Then how so you explain one towel covering 3 chairs?

So you stand around for an hour before you take someone elses chair?

No, and I also wont take someone's chair if I haven't seen for myself that they have been gone for an hour. We will usually take a chair that is open somewhere far back and out of the way and slowly make our way forward. I will tag the chairs I see with small items on them when I first arrive and if by an hour I see no one on them I will take it.

My favorite non confrontational technique is to put their items on the ground and simply take the chair somewhere else, nice passive way of claiming the chair and leaving the poor chair hog confused when they return. Otherwise, yes, I will take the chair and quote the written policy NCL has on the ships saying that after an hour their chairs are up for grabs.

Then how so you explain one towel covering 3 chairs?

My comment didn't address towels. I addressed a specific sentence, and you can view it in my post.

I don't know about others, but when I get up from my lounger to jump in the pool, I tend not to bring my book in the water with me. But everyone is different, and that's okay.

Edited by LrgPizza

Sometimes people leave things on chairs not to be a hog, but for legitimate reasons.

My wife and I usually leave one of us on the chair to indicate we are using it.

When both of us go into a pool or hot tub the chair must always be kept in view and you have to always be watching it to ensure someone doesn't come move whatever you have.

The pool decks are a constant battle ground, you can't relax, you always need to be watching to either get a better seat or defend your own. Victors are crowned with seats close to the action and the defeated are relegated to either a seat in a far off corner or no seats at all.

It's exhausting and slaughters many, but it's all part of the cruise experience.

In theory that sounds like a very good idea. Problem is many times the culprit comes back and fistfights ensue. I have seen this first handed and it's not pretty. NCL should have more security manning the pool deck during peak hours all the while pool staff should remove "stuff" from lounge chairs after X amount of inactivity. It's simply supply and demand.

Sail from Florida - totally different vibe. You couldn't pay me to sail Breakaway!

My wife and I usually leave one of us on the chair to indicate we are using it.

When both of us go into a pool or hot tub the chair must always be kept in view and you have to always be watching it to ensure someone doesn't come move whatever you have.

The pool decks are a constant battle ground, you can't relax, you always need to be watching to either get a better seat or defend your own. Victors are crowned with seats close to the action and the defeated are relegated to either a seat in a far off corner or no seats at all.

It's exhausting and slaughters many, but it's all part of the cruise experience.

We usually leave at least one person with our chairs as well. The exception is when we first get out there at 7am. We will grab our chairs and then have breakfast together.

No, and I also wont take someone's chair if I haven't seen for myself that they have been gone for an hour. We will usually take a chair that is open somewhere far back and out of the way and slowly make our way forward. I will tag the chairs I see with small items on them when I first arrive and if by an hour I see no one on them I will take it.

My favorite non confrontational technique is to put their items on the ground and simply take the chair somewhere else, nice passive way of claiming the chair and leaving the poor chair hog confused when they return. Otherwise, yes, I will take the chair and quote the written policy NCL has on the ships saying that after an hour their chairs are up for grabs.

There is very little room to move chairs around. On a ship that offers unlimited booze, I wouldn't take the chance!

Just got back from a cruise on the BA, already booked for next year, and if you don't have kids that need the pool H20 was the place to go. Never had a problem getting chairs or drinks. Hotdog cart was open so all was good and people were very friendly. Never saw a issue with chairs and we were there every sea day.

There is very little room to move chairs around. On a ship that offers unlimited booze, I wouldn't take the chance!

Did you "observed" or noticed crew members tagging the unattended chairs or making any efforts to check the deck's loungers ?

NCL set the rules in dealing with hogs and it's their responsibility #cough #cough to tag, remove items and free up the chairs - I know that the few times we walk by the sun decks, practically all the loungers were taken, maybe one here and one there. Sometimes, it seemed as if there's one "sentry" guarding half a dozen + unattended loungers, with towels thrown across.

The main pool can't possibly fit more than 20 or 30 adults, standing room only, let alone attempting to swim & forget about doing laps, unless you get up there at 6 AM to do the early birds. The BA pool is, IMO, pathetic for a ship designed to sail with as much as 5,000 pax or 3,000+ adults alone; and, for the lucky ones - with privileges in the Haven pool - I prefer to call it a "communal" bathtub - yikes, can't pay us to go in. Stick to our local YMCA pool, regulation-sized and lanes reserved for doing laps, and lifeguards on duty & first responder-trained.

If someone confronts you over taking a seat that they haven't used in multiple hours just start yelling and screaming for help and say you are being oppressed and make a huge scene.

They'll back down.

I might overly pump myself up for these things, but the burst of adrenaline really is exciting.

I'll never understand the thought process of the "pseudo chair police". :confused:

Do they really stare at a nearly empty chair for over an hour in hopes of "catching a chair hog in the act"?

Are "PCP" setting up cameras and recording the "crime in progress"? :rolleyes:

Are they somewhat disappointed if the person returns to their items at the 48 minute mark? Are they relieved that the person isn't guilty of any wrongdoing?

It's very simple. If a chair has nothing on it, anyone can claim that chair. If they put their items on it and walk to the bar, go to the restroom, take a dip in the pool, etc. and return 58 minutes and 17 seconds later, the person has done nothing wrong and the person's items and chair should not be touched by anyone other than the person who put them there.

Why is there such a feeling of "Hey, that person has a better chair than I have.....I'm gonna do something about it..." when ALL of the chairs are equally comfortable and most are in the exact same sunlight as the others?

In the buffet, some people get a window seat, some don't. Do "pseudo buffet police" move other people's food just to get a better seat while the "window hog" steps away for a drink or extra fries?

Edited by Two Wheels Only

return 58 minutes and 17 seconds later, the person has done nothing wrong and the person's items and chair should not be touched by anyone other than the person who put them there.

That's correct and how things should be, but if someone goes and puts their items on a chair at 7am and doesn't plan on coming back until 2pm, then yes, their belongings get moved.

And yes, I have used a watch before to monitor empty chairs to help move us closer to the front lines. It's all part of the shell game that is played on cruise ship pool decks.

That's correct and how things should be, but if someone goes and puts their items on a chair at 7am and doesn't plan on coming back until 2pm, then yes, their belongings get moved.

The person who leaves their items for 7 hours is going against NCL's rules and should have their items removed....by NCL's staff, not by other passengers.

The person who isn't going against NCL's rules (as stated in the dailies) should NOT have their items removed. Just by reading this thread, it is clear that some will move items "just because..." and have no idea what NCL's actual policy is. NOWHERE does it state that passengers should remove another passenger's items.

And yes, I have used a watch before to monitor empty chairs to help move us closer to the front lines. It's all part of the shell game that is played on cruise ship pool decks.

But.....why waste the energy by playing that game? Is there a winner? Is there a feeling of victory if you get a chair closest to the pool? Is there pressure to defend your prize? I don't see the appeal. :confused:

Edited by Two Wheels Only

I'm lucky, I don't sit in the sun, but I enjoy sitting in the shade to people watch. When I find a lounger, sometimes it is a daunting task, I'll sit there and if I need to get up to use the restroom or grab a bite to bring back, I simply ask the person next to me, if they would watch my lounger for me...works every time, but then again, I don't think I've ever been gone longer than 10 minutes or so.

What irritates the heck out of me are those inconsiderate folks that save chairs in the sun and then also save chairs in the shade. So now instead of 2 chairs, they have 4. A number of times folks have done that near me and if someone asks me if the chairs are taken, I tell them that the people went over there, so I guess they are done with them.

I'm lucky, I don't sit in the sun, but I enjoy sitting in the shade to people watch. When I find a lounger, sometimes it is a daunting task, I'll sit there and if I need to get up to use the restroom or grab a bite to bring back, I simply ask the person next to me, if they would watch my lounger for me...works every time, but then again, I don't think I've ever been gone longer than 10 minutes or so.

What irritates the heck out of me are those inconsiderate folks that save chairs in the sun and then also save chairs in the shade. So now instead of 2 chairs, they have 4. A number of times folks have done that near me and if someone asks me if the chairs are taken, I tell them that the people went over there, so I guess they are done with them.

lol. Similar thing occurs in the spa. Some knuckleheads keep towels on a heated lounge chair and another one on a nice padded lounge chair one facing the windows..

Edited by NYcruzzer