Hot condiment

Griff61

Hi

My wife who is Thai just asked me a question that might sound a little unusual to many.

Being Thai she can not live without her daily fix of ( flame out your ears for most ) spicy food. I really really mean hot . :eek:

Will they let her bring her own hand made Thai chili sauce ?

We are going on Ms Noordam to Alaska return, 7 days

Cheers

Don't see why not except some sauces contain pepper seeds so if departing from a port outside the USA bringing it in to that country might incur agricultural protections that restrict seeds. Can't figure how seeds in sauce could be viable but bureaucrats will be bureaucrats. On the ship should not matter as long as not taking sauce off visiting ports.

If not allowed then given the international grew somewhere there will be some really hot sauce. :eek:

Don't see why not except some sauces contain pepper seeds so if departing from a port outside the USA bringing it in to that country might incur agricultural protections that restrict seeds. Can't figure how seeds in sauce could be viable but bureaucrats will be bureaucrats. On the ship should not matter as long as not taking sauce off visiting ports.

If not allowed then given the international grew somewhere there will be some really hot sauce. :eek:

I love spicy food and have several times asked the Indonesians on Holland to make me some hot/ spicy thai style food....they have always come through and even seem excited to do it....of course thai gals version of extra HOT might be a bit hotter than my versions....but my guess is she will be just fine.

I don't know the answer to your question, but are you aware that they always have Indonesian Sambal available? Would that be hot enough for her?

Thanks jtl513

Sambal is about 5 levels lower than my wife typically likes. When she cooks some dishes at home I have to leave the house and I like spicy hehe

I love spicy food and have several times asked the Indonesians on Holland to make me some hot/ spicy thai style food....they have always come through and even seem excited to do it....of course thai gals version of extra HOT might be a bit hotter than my versions....but my guess is she will be just fine.

Hi Dockman

Thanks for letting us know that it is possible to ask the Indonesians about cooking some hot and spicy food. I would of never thought about that, this being our first cruise.

Thanks jtl513

Sambal is about 5 levels lower than my wife typically likes. When she cooks some dishes at home I have to leave the house and I like spicy hehe

One of my exes was a korean gal who would NEVER go anywhere without her jar of kim chee and a bottle of some super hot sauce...she would take it on the ships and one of the cooks would mix it in and fix whatever she wanted....i'd just let her pack her bottle of hot sauce..wrap it in bubble wrap really well and put in the checked luggage.....you don't want to be on a ship with a thai gal who can't get her daily fix of hot sauce...we might be reading about a husband shoved overboard by an angry wife..

GOOD LUCK or CHOKE DEE KOP

Hi Dockman

Thanks for letting us know that it is possible to ask the Indonesians about cooking some hot and spicy food. I would of never thought about that, this being our first cruise.

I was on a holland cruise a couple of years ago and a guy and his thai wife were onboard...since i used to live in thailand and speak a bit of thai i got to know them...she had already figured out that the indonesians will have some hot sauce around...i think they brought some up from the employee dining areas for her and she seemed to think it was hot enough even for a thai girl....no small feat.

Often in the Lido, there is a tray of condiments by the beverage area that contains hot sauces like sambal and sirracha (sorry about the spelling) if you use the buffet. She can also ask the Lido chef or the dining steward who will get her other options. Have had table mates that had their bottle of hot sauce at the table every evening after the 1st request (fixed seating).

Edited by take us away

Often in the Lido, there is a tray of condiments by the beverage area that contains hot sauces like sambal and sirracha (sorry about the spelling) if you use the buffet. She can also ask the Lido chef or the dining steward who will get her other options. Have had table mates that had their bottle of hot sauce at the table every evening after the 1st request (fixed seating).

In all honesty the sambal, etc. in the Lido is not very hot. DH will attest to that ;) But, once the waiters know he likes hot stuff, they delight in offering him their various versions from their mess in the MDR in the evening.

I have brought hot sauce on board (especially if I find something unique in a port) with no problem, whatsoever ;)

DH has been happy with the versions offered in the MDR in the evenings ;)

I like a little heat but have a good friend who's going to leave her stomach to science. She LOVES hot, hot, hot so she always tells the servers at Thai restaurants to make it like their mother or grandmother would make it.

At breakfast time in the Lido, there is a small congee station next to where the eggs benedict are served. They do usually have quite hot chili flakes there. I agree, the sambal is generally not very hot, unfortunately.

The congee, by the way, is delicious.

• 5 months later...
What about other condiments? Will the ship's have things like Balsamic vinaigrette, Dijon mustard or crushed garlic? Not as dumb a question as it seems, I've been told at a restaurant before "Sorry, we don't have that".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was balsamic vinaigrette at the salad bar (just ask for it in a container)

Quite sure I've seen Dijon mustard at the Lido in the central area.

I don't recall seeing crushed garlic, but my memory can be short. ;)

Thanks kazu, I know I'm a bit of a garlic fiend, I grow my own but might have trouble getting it across the border into Canada, might have to bite the bullet and bring an unopened jar of the powdered stuff!

uggh on the powdered stuff. do you have time for a pit stop in Canada? If you do, we do have garlic which is the real stuff (basically) available in a jar. You can get it diced, chopped or really fine. It's not that expensive and pure garlic. Just a thought .

Well if I can bring my own jar of vegemite then I am sure people can bring their Thai sauce.

They had vegemite in jars on the Koningsdam last year but they seemed to have no idea how to serve it. (Here it is generally served in single sized packs in hotels) One time it came out with a lovely silver spoon.

Even here it would not be a problem to bring Asian sauces through customs as long as the bottle or jar is declared and sealed.

Good idea kazu, I'm so used to growing my own that I didn't even think about buying it already crushed in a jar... are they fairly small jars? I know the powdered stuff is uggh but when you are an addict even uggh is better than nothing... although I guess I could just ask the kitchen to add garlic to some dishes it would be impossible for some things so I like to have my own supply.

Ah vegemite, I miss it. Not to be found in my little backwoods town. Still remember the last time I had it, doing some computer work for a couple Australian guys and they got a package from home with a couple jars included. I think they thought it was funny to offer some to the American woman and I think I surprised them when I ate it, they gave me a bit in a ziplock to take home. I'll have to ask on the NA if they have some.

Good idea kazu, I'm so used to growing my own that I didn't even think about buying it already crushed in a jar... are they fairly small jars? I know the powdered stuff is uggh but when you are an addict even uggh is better than nothing... although I guess I could just ask the kitchen to add garlic to some dishes it would be impossible for some things so I like to have my own supply.

Ah vegemite, I miss it. Not to be found in my little backwoods town. Still remember the last time I had it, doing some computer work for a couple Australian guys and they got a package from home with a couple jars included. I think they thought it was funny to offer some to the American woman and I think I surprised them when I ate it, they gave me a bit in a ziplock to take home. I'll have to ask on the NA if they have some.

The jars are not large. Maybe an ounce or two? 1 Tbsp = 1 garlic clove (going by memory - just ran out & need to get more).

Most grocery stores here carry it. (At least in Atlantic Canada).

It is nothing but pure garlic ;)

Thanks for the info, I am relieved I won't have to use the nasty powder. Every time I check these boards I run into something like this... common everyday stuff that needs to be taken into account and planned for when cruising... thank goodness for CC![emoji8]