Need help !Anthem New England Cruise 9 nights

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips! So the cruise ends in Halifax so I am assuming you don't get any time there unless you extend your stay in a hotel. Is one night enough to see then fly home from Halifax ? Also arriving into Newark to leave our of the Liberty port, has anyone flown in the same day as taking the cruise ? I could get a non stop flight and get there by noon. Does that leave enough time to catch the boat ? I guess the only issue is if they lose your luggage right!

The cruise ends at Cape Liberty, it's a round trip. If it's the same times in September as August, we are in Halifax from 7AM to 5PM.

I personally would not trust a flight getting in at noon the day of. The cruise departs at 4PM, so everybody needs to be checked in and on board by 2:30. The drive to the port is 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Figure it will take at least 20-30 minutes to deboard the plane, get luggage, and get a cab. That means that you are looking at an hour from landing to the cruise port. So assuming nothing goes wrong you'd have 90 minutes to get through check in, security, and on the ship. Possible, sure, but I would be sweating bullets. Any delay in the flight, lost or delayed luggage, a long line at the cab stand, unexpected traffic/accidents/construction; when you are measuring how much time you have to spare in minutes any delay can be a disaster. If you could get an overnight flight that gets in early AM, I'd say day of is fine, but not 4 hours prior to departure. Our flight also gets in at noon, and we are doing the day before with a hotel near the airport for this very reason.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips! So the cruise ends in Halifax so I am assuming you don't get any time there unless you extend your stay in a hotel. Is one night enough to see then fly home from Halifax ? Also arriving into Newark to leave our of the Liberty port, has anyone flown in the same day as taking the cruise ? I could get a non stop flight and get there by noon. Does that leave enough time to catch the boat ? I guess the only issue is if they lose your luggage right!

Newark Airport is very close to the Bayonne port; barring flight delays you'll have plenty of time to make the cruise.

I've only been to Halifax on a cruise one time. We decided that rather than go to the "touristy" Peggy's Cove, we would take a private tour. Never again! We basically rode around in a car for hours in terrain that looked just like upstate New York (nothing wrong with that, of course, but my mother grew up there, so it was sort of been there, done that). We learned our lesson. The first time you go to a port, go where the tourists go, since that's why they go there. I would think that one day would be plenty of time to do Peggy's Cove and the maritime museum that has Titanic memorabilia, which are the highlights of Halifax.

Thanks do much for clarifying it is round trip back to liberty! That makes my flight much cheaper!! I actually found a flight getting into Newark at 10:00 am so I am thinking that should leave enough time ? It's non stop so I am hoping major delays would be avoided ! I am enjoying hearing the different things people have done in this ports. Keep it coming! Is seas a concern this time of year on a ship that big?

I wanted to see if anyone booked on the Sept 22 NE sailing are able to see if there is reservations available for shows, speciality activities , and specialty restaurants? This is the last thing I am trying to figure out as I know the cruise is only about a month out, and you can't see availability on these things until after its booked. Thanks so much !

Is the flight into Newark that arrives at 10am the only other non-stop (other than the one arriving at noon? I know that a lot will say 'no problem', but I'd be nervous. If that flight came in the night before, or was coming in that morning, it could be delayed, making your flight cancelled or delayed. R there choices if that flight is delayed/cancelled that will get you into Newark with enough time to get luggage, taxi, and to pier.

I have a very vivid memory of the one (and only) time I was flying from Ottawa to Miami the same day -- flight was leaving at 6am and with a connection would arrive at noon. Lots of time, right? Wrong. Ottawa got fogged in (first week of September -- who'd think, fog!) and we sat waiting on the runway (we were first in line) - we left and I missed the connection by 5 minutes. Airline was going to re-route Miami passengers to Toronto - that flight would arrive Miami at 5:30pm. I thought I was screwed. Thankfully at that time, I was a cruise+air passenger so airline got me a seat on a Continental flight (their dime, not mine) and I arrived in Miami about 3:30pm. I was a wreck and must have looked frazzled when I got to agents in baggage area :D. I have never flown same-day again! That said, for a cruise from Newark - I'd probably look at it as there are quite a few flights to chose from.:)

Halifax: also has a very nice Public Garden right in the downtown core. If you are up to the hike - walking up to the Citadel is worth it (view) - even if you don't go in. (and probably only of interest to us Cdn's is Pier 21 - the Cdn Museum of Immigration, and the Alexander Keith's Brewery:)).

The other flight I found is non stop out of west palm beach and gets into Newark at 8:55 am. Unless there is a crazy delay I am thinking we should be good with that??

There's never a guarantee with flights, and it really comes down to personal comfort and cost. There are people here that would never consider flying in the day of, for me personally, I'd be fine with either the 8:55 or the 10, but it really does come down to personal comfort. I would always take the earliest flight that fits with my budget and schedule, and my personal rule of thumb is to assume a 1 hour delay for each leg of the flight, plus a 30 minute delay at the destination and double the drive time from airport to pier, and 2 hours for boarding to departure. So, for my calculations on a non-stop flight with an estimated 30 minute drive time and departure at 4 PM, I'd add an hour and a half to the flight time, and 30 minutes to the drive and say no flights landing after 11:30 (4 (departure) - 2 (hours to board) - 1 (hour to drive) - 1.5 (hour flight delay))

I have no evidence to back up those numbers, they are just my personal guidelines.

The other flight I found is non stop out of west palm beach and gets into Newark at 8:55 am. Unless there is a crazy delay I am thinking we should be good with that??

I'd do it! Like awestover89 says 'there's never a guarantee with flights', but this 8:55am gives you comfortable wiggle-room. If the price is great (of course). If on time, that's about 15-30 for luggage, taxi 30-45 minutes. On-board early to begin your cruise!:)

Just returned from Bermuda and the service was quite good. Better than it was in January! There are many bars. When the weather is warm, the only part of the ship that seemed crowded was the main pool and bar. Walk 40 feet next door for a less crowded indoor pool and bar. Walk another 100 feet and you have the solarium and bar. Bar servers around the pool were regular and they also had a beer cart making the loop. Now that I think of it, they also had some makeshift bars setup around the lower level of the pool. The key to having a good time on this ship is being flexible. If one bar is crowded, go to another. Elevators can be tough to catch in the main central bank, better to go to the forward bank, or if you are able, the stairs are the best option! To me, this is a great ship and crew. The challenge is dealing with so many knucklehead fellow passengers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wanted to see if anyone booked on the Sept 22 NE sailing are able to see if there is reservations available for shows, speciality activities , and specialty restaurants? This is the last thing I am trying to figure out as I know the cruise is only about a month out, and you can't see availability on these things until after its booked. Thanks so much !

Yes- just last week, the last part of the entertainment opened up- North Star. Everything else has been open (and quite booked) for a while now.

I am a native Floridian and have cruised most my life . My husband and I most recently went on the Allure to Jamaica and Cozumel. We have done the Carribean so much I thought it would be neat to go on the 9 day anthem cruise and explore New England. Overall is visiting Boston , Maine and Nova Scotia good on a cruise in late September ? Is it typically cold and rough seas ? There are only inside cabins available , is this a problem ? I haven't seen any reviews specific to the Anthem and this itinerary.

Overall it sounds like the anthem has poor service and it's hard to get a drink and a long line for everything. Is this the case in the longer New England cruise or is it mainly the Bermuda cruise with all the complaints. I have never been on a bad Royal Carribean cruise , is this one much different than the others ? Finally is this typically an itinerary for older people? My husband and I are in our 30's and like some fun and nightlife too.

We did a Short, 7 Night NE/CAN Cruise on Jewel October 8-15 of 2011 round trip from Boston... Visited Portland, ME; Bar Harbor, ME; Saint John, NB/CAN & Halifax, NS/CAN.

Most of our excursions/tours included Lobster...

Our weather was spectacular for October. Boston SAT 10/8 Sunny 80: Portland SUN 10/9 (Low 59) Sunny 80: Bar Harbor MON 10/10 Sunny 72: Saint John TUE 10/11 Mstly Sunny 64: Halifax THUR 10/13 MCloudy 63

It was an above average Fall in the Northeast for a couple of weeks...

We've done four Oasis class cruises but cannot comment on the Quantum Class...

Dennis & Sue

So AlfaEric , when you say quite booked does that mean we wouldn't be able to get into everything including the North Star, or is there some availability if flexible with times ?

You would probably need to book using either the Royal IQ app at the pier when boarding, or on board early and book on board. For some activities, like Puzzle Room, IFly, and North Star you could also do walk ups. They tend to save some reservation spots for people booking on board

So AlfaEric , when you say quite booked does that mean we wouldn't be able to get into everything including the North Star, or is there some availability if flexible with times ?

I think there are open spots, but the spots may not meet your first time choice. So if you are flexible, you should be ok.

One other thing to point out- as awestover pointed out- booking on board. We saw those options last November, too. For pretty much everything- so if you don't see a spot, that doesn't mean there isn't space. And we also saw plenty of walk ups.

We are booked on this United flight out of West Palm.

Should have no problem, hopefully. See you at the airport!

Marilyn

For those of you that have been on a NE cruise is the extra money for a balcony worth an additional $600 total? We always get one on Carribean cruises , but with the cooler weather up north wasn't sure if the balcony was worth it? On the flip side I wonder if we will feel claustrophobic in an inside room for 9 nights?

For those of you that have been on a NE cruise is the extra money for a balcony worth an additional $600 total? We always get one on Carribean cruises , but with the cooler weather up north wasn't sure if the balcony was worth it? On the flip side I wonder if we will feel claustrophobic in an inside room for 9 nights?

To me, no. You can run into a lot of fog on these cruises. That, and the possible cool weather, steer me away from a balcony.

Anthem inside cabins have the virtual balcony, so you do get a view of the outside. If you prefer a real view, you can get an OV.

We did two recent Bermuda cruises, one in a balcony and one in an OV. We did not miss the balcony much at all, very little to look at.

Whereas to us, no question, yes.

Just sitting out on your balcony as you enter the harbor for Bar Harbor is worth it. And you get to see it again when you leave.

Seeing Boston from your balcony as you come and go is really nice, too.

Just like Alaska, even though it may be cold, the scenery is worth it.

Sure, you can find outside space to see the same thing, but we'd rather be in a spot just with the two of us.

Bring layers if you are worried about cold.

I don't know if they are available for your departure, but Anthem, like some other ships, has a few unique cabins. They are Ocean View cabins on decks 8-11 and are 8110 and 8510 (and the equivalent numbers on the other decks, e.g. 11510.) At just over 300 square feet, they are substantially bigger than a lot of other cabins aboard. There is a very large forward-facing window.

Alan