Need help !Anthem New England Cruise 9 nights

Does anyone have experience in sailing the NE in Sept that can talk about the seas? How bad are they really? On a ship as large as the anthem have any of you been sea sick. I get sea sick on small boats. Had some rough season the oasis and couldn't really feel them

Does anyone have experience in sailing the NE in Sept that can talk about the seas? How bad are they really? On a ship as large as the anthem have any of you been sea sick. I get sea sick on small boats. Had some rough season the oasis and couldn't really feel them

The weather is not predictable and you can feel motion no matter how large the ship is. We've been sailing in the NE in August and some days were smooth and some had a good amount of motion.

We did the Serenade of the Seas Canada/NE cruise last October out of Quebec and we didn't see the 60's or higher until we left Portland Maine down to Charleston. We had a fabulous cruise, yet unable to offer opinions on the Anthem. We had hardly any motion except we woke up to a lot toward the end of the cruise. Weather was very good, just cold.

We are also on your cruise. We've done New England cruises 7 times and never had any problems with high seas. Amazingly calm but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If it does it would be storm related. Join the roll call and you will see a lot of info on shows and excursions etc.

How do I find the roll call for this cruise. I am going to ask more detailed questions about ports once I research more but on the surface it seems to make sense to rent a car in Halifax. Is Portland also good to explore by renting a car?

What about Acadia? What is the best way to get the most out of exploring the park? Car rental ?bikes ? Trolley tour

One thing I will add is my husband and I really don't care for group tours. We like doing things independently if possible and not being herd around like cattle!

Finally which is the best port to do a whale watching boat ride ?

If you go to Cruise Critic Message Board Forums you will see Roll Calls as a heading. Then select Royal Caribbean Meet and Mingle. Select that and look for the Anthem of the Seas. Select that and you can find your cruise date. Also on the Cruise Critic Message Board Forums you can find ports of call and get a lot of info on the ports for New England. I use it all the time!

Edited by torpeedo

For roll calls go to cruise critic roll call, Royal, and then date. As for tours, we agree hate bus tours, too cheap for private. Hence, Boston we will take bus to subway and will do Freedom walk, visit the USS Constitution and find a nice brew pub. Portland we do have a private minibus tour out to to lighthouses, and will walk downtown area. Acadia National Park has a FREE shuttle, we will use that to our hikes. Only bad thing is the free shuttle does not go up Cadillac mountain, although it his hike able which we may do if weather is awesome and clear, as it is not worth it if hazy. We are using Enterprise car rental in Halifax and St John driving to Peggy's cove in Halifax, beating the crowds arriving by bus. Fundy trail is our drive in St Johns

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP -- try these:

Link to register for the Meet and Mingle: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Link to the Anthem Roll Calls (just look for your exact cruise date):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=942

Link to the Canada/New England Ports of Call thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

ETaylor, I think your asking for your Roll Call if I read correctly, Look for the Roll Call Section on CC's main Page, Click the link for your Cruise Line, it will then give you a listing of ships, Select your ship and look for your dates among those listed. Once you have joined your Roll Call be sure & subscribe by choosing Thread Tools near the top right of the Page. A drop down screen will appear and hit Subscribe.

We had an inside cabin anthem last winter on one of the top decks, great room with virtual balcony, sight and sound. Enjoyed room and ship, food needs serious help, but still very enjoyable cruise. In Boston, a short cab will get you to Hanover st in north end, great food, check out Galleria Umberto on Hanover opens at 11 am cash only great food and cheap, serves till they run out of food around 2 pm. Boston harbor island tours good way to see the harbor, J. hooks excellent lobster rolls, no name resteraunts ne seafood classics. On your way back is Harpoon Brewery beer hall, great fresh pretzels and beer.

The weather can be hot or cool, foggy or sunny, but if you are in good shape and mobile it's a great city to walk, grab a map so much to see, Faneuil hall, old first church, freedom trail, Boston public garden. And a multitude of Italian, seafood, and burger joints, yelp reviews will help you. The original Regenias pizza in the north end, opens at 11 am, best pizza in the USA.

Thanks for all the insight! Sounds overall like a great ship and great itinerary ! What are some top things people like to do at these ports ?

We have been on a New England/Canada cruise twice. We really enjoyed Peggy's Cove in Halifax, but also visited the Maritime Museum. We've done the Lighthouses of Maine on one cruise in Portland and the trip to Kennebunkport on another. We like this destination so much we are going again in a few weeks and have one booked for 2017 on Vision.

hi again ! We just booked yesterday so not a lot of time to plan. We are in our mid 30's, like to see as much as possible , and don't like group tours if we can avoid them. Here are our ports with my questions I have and recommendations we need. Please share your thoughts! We are from south Florida and have never been to New England !

Please keep in mind we want to whale watch in one of these places. Which one is best?? Also want best places to eat lobster!

1st stop

Boston: thinking maybe renting bikes? Open to suggestions. In port 7:00 am-7pm

Portland Maine: 8 am-5pm thinking of renting car and driving to lighthouses (bug light, spring point, Portland headlight, and kennybunkport ) can this all be done in that time frame? Where is th most convienent place to rent a car from the port?

Bar Harbour- 7 am-6 pm. We want to see all the best of Acadia park. Is that the best thing to do here ? What are the must see stops ? We are open to biking or hiking if that's a good way. Should we use the island explorer free bus or rent a car ?

Halifax Nova Scotia 7 am-5pm -is Peggy's cove worth it if we see all the Portland lighthouses? What else is fun to do here? Should we rent a car or take a bus? Easiest place to rent from? Whale watching here?

St John New Brunswick - what's the easiest way to get to reversing Rapids and sea caves? Are these must see's? Can you still take a boat in the Rapids? Couldn't find it.

Thanks for your help!!

Last time we were in St John, we drove across the bridge and there is was a observation area. I don't know where you get the boat for the rapids but it certainly looked fun.I did find this regarding locations.

It is recommended to view the rapids twice; near low tide and near high tide. View this wonder from 2 vantage points - from Bridge Road and Fallsview Park. https://www.mapquest.com/canada/new-brunswick/restaurants-saint-john/reversing-falls-restaurant-272676818

Edited by Desert Cruizers

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is an old one, but we are considering booking this cruise for 2018 combined with a Bermuda 5 night for a 14 night total B2B. When would be the best time to sail this itinerary for a combination of weather/fall colors between the two cruises? I am also considering trying to get one of the large forward facing outside cabins if the price is much lower than the balconies. An input on those cabins vs the balcony cabins? We had our first ever OV cabin on the Harmony TA and loved it. We never missed the balcony. However, we only had two ports in 13 days and I do love sailaways from the balcony.

In both St Johns and Halifax we rented a car. Halifax to Peggy's cove is about an hour. Plenty of walkable to see in Halifax including citadel although climb up is moderate to strenuous. In St Johns the Fundy Trail is a nice scenic drive, but unfortunately typically it closes October 1st or so, you will want to check website

If you want to go inexpensive in Boston. The Silverline stops 200 yards from the ship. You can take that to the redline and on to Boston commons. We walked the Freedom trail to the Constitution taking harbor water taxi back to city center and trains back.

I know this thread is an old one, but we are considering booking this cruise for 2018 combined with a Bermuda 5 night for a 14 night total B2B. When would be the best time to sail this itinerary for a combination of weather/fall colors between the two cruises? I am also considering trying to get one of the large forward facing outside cabins if the price is much lower than the balconies. An input on those cabins vs the balcony cabins? We had our first ever OV cabin on the Harmony TA and loved it. We never missed the balcony. However, we only had two ports in 13 days and I do love sailaways from the balcony.

If you want to see fall colors, you need to be thinking about the NE part being mid October (Columbus Day time). It's always somewhat variable but that's typically the right time.

The challenge with October and both of these itineraries is that it's still hurricane season - so you need to be prepared to be re-routed or possible experience some rough seas.

My parents did the NE from Boston last year on Oct 2 and really enjoyed it and had extremely calm seas every day but the following week there was remnants of a hurricane passing thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums