Rental car return/taxi to pier

TACMS

We will be renting a car and driving to the cruise; returning the car at Ft Lauderdale airport (Hertz rental). Is it hard to grab a taxi from there to the pier? Do we have a long walk (with luggage) from the rental return location (garage?) to where the taxis are located?

Thank you...

Very easy to get a taxi.

However, there is a Hertz rental location on 17th St at the Crown Plaza hotel with a free shuttle to the cruise port.

Originally I was returning the car there. When I called they said they do have a shuttle but not guaranteed a space on it. May have to wait till room (if full) and they stop running it at a certain time (forgot but maybe 2:00?). I inquired about a taxi then. They said they could possibly call one if we requested. So I switched to the airport.

Have people had good luck with the Hertz return near pier? We have three people with luggage....looking for the easiest way to return the car.

Thank you again..

Originally I was returning the car there. When I called they said they do have a shuttle but not guaranteed a space on it. May have to wait till room (if full) and they stop running it at a certain time (forgot but maybe 2:00?). I inquired about a taxi then. They said they could possibly call one if we requested. So I switched to the airport.

Have people had good luck with the Hertz return near pier? We have three people with luggage....looking for the easiest way to return the car.

Thank you again..

You might also want to post this on the Florida Departures forum to get a wider audience of experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Very easy to get a taxi.

However, there is a Hertz rental location on 17th St at the Crown Plaza hotel with a free shuttle to the cruise port.

A bit confused....I posted on the OP's other thread (Florida) to use the Hertz location at Crowne Plaza on 24th Street...are there two :confused:

Edited by Ashland

A bit confused....I posted on the OP's other thread (Florida) to use the Hertz location at Crowne Plaza on 24th Street...are their two :confused:

My mistake, I was thinking the Hyatt Pier 66.

Thanks for catching it.:)

We always rent from National, but when we were taking the shuttle from FLL, we noticed that Thrifty and Dollar had a station right at the entrance to the port. Worth looking in to.

We usually use this Thrifty/Dollar location on Miami Road (when they can beat Budget on 17th Street rates)...Yes Thrifty/Dollar is just outside the Port Everglades gate and is the closest rental location of all the companies....and their free shuttle is so quick and easy since their so close they go in and out making many trips...At times we've been the only ones onboard it...they have never made us wait...unlike some other companies. ;)

Wherever you return car to just call for a cab yourself. You will have no problem having one show up.

Being from Fort Lauderdale yourself...I think you would agree most hotels will have taxi's out front coming & going especially when a cruise ship is in and certainly at FLL you won't need to call one yourself ;):)

Being from Fort Lauderdale yourself...I think you would agree most hotels will have taxi's out front coming & going especially when a cruise ship is in and certainly at FLL you won't need to call one yourself ;):)

True and I suggested calling themselves if they drop off at the airport location since they mentioned that location. Taxis are everywhere here. There will be NO issue at all.

We dropped all luggage off before we retuned the car. Drove back to airport and took shuttle to cruise port. Very easy. You can also leave half of your party at port w/luggage so you don't have as many to transport back to pier

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone for all the information. I knew this would be the place to go (also posted on the Florida departure boards as suggested).

I have decided to change my drop off location to the Crowne Plaza on 24th street (thank you). I am using Hertz versus other rentals because of the discount I get from them through my Union. Better than what Budget, Avis would give me (and still cheaper than others).

Little over a week to go! Allure of the Seas 😎🍹

Thank you everyone for all the information. I knew this would be the place to go (also posted on the Florida departure boards as suggested).

I have decided to change my drop off location to the Crowne Plaza on 24th street (thank you). I am using Hertz versus other rentals because of the discount I get from them through my Union. Better than what Budget, Avis would give me (and still cheaper than others).

Little over a week to go! Allure of the Seas 😎🍹

Glad it all worked out for you :)