Coordinating Dinner times with entertainment

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at recent cruise compasses that people have posted and it seems to me that all of the evening entertainment doesn't coordinate well with eating supper. How do you do that?

I had reserved the MyTime dining each night for 6-8pm. I assume that means we show up at 6pm and dinner goes to around 8pm?? Anyway, if we eat at this time pretty much everything starts during that time frame e.g. evening movies around the pool, comedy shows, ice-skating, Saturday Night Live etc. But we if we schedule later (say around 8pm to eat) then all the movies and shows are just starting/haven't finished yet.

When, exactly, is one supposed to eat without it clashing with everything that you want to do and see?

Also, my son and BFF are on the cruise with me and I've asked that they at least eat dinner with me each night. How flexible is the Mytime dining? If I've made reservations from 6-8pm and they meet some friends and want to do something with them - how flexible can the evening meal be?

Basically, I don't understand how the dining schedule works, how flexible it is and how everyone coordinates eating with entertainment. Thanks for any advice you may have. :)

I've always eaten in MTD around 6:30 and have NEVER missed any entertainment, shows, comedy etc. It may be that occasionally some event is held at only one time but that is rare. [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, you are sailing Liberty. The issues that people have with scheduling dining and entertainment are more on the Oasis and Quantum class ships. With a 6pm MTD dining reservation, you will be fine to make the entertainment times that are scheduled for people in main seating.

Although they give you a 2 hour time block, dinner is rarely 2 hours, especially early in the evening when they want/need to turn the table over. We always eat around 6pm, and whether we have traditional or My Time, dinner is usually 1 hour and 15 minutes or so. You can tell the wait team that you have a show to get to, and they will make sure that you are out with plenty of time to spare (and without making you feel rushed, either). You can also show up 15 minutes or so before your reservation to get a head start on the meal on those days when you feel you are cutting it close for the show.

It is true, the shows are schedule around MDR times. Early diners have dinner and then go to the late show, late diners go to the early show.

Were you looking a day 1 Cruise Compass, perhaps? The welcome aboard show on day 1 only goes only once and tries to be in between the two times, which never seems to work well for us.

Edited by TBone2K

Are you going on one if the I Oasis ships? Our dining was all over. Sometime a we saw a 5 or 5:30pm show and then had dinner (shows are around 45 min long). Other times we had dinner at 6ish and then 9pm show. It depended on the night. We always had reservations and had no wait except on the first night which is typical.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

If you are on one of the really big ships, like Ovations etc, is there enough entertainment in the evening for everyone, as I known there is limited seating in the theatre shows.

What else is there to do if you don't gamble?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are on one of the really big ships, like Ovations etc, is there enough entertainment in the evening for everyone, as I known there is limited seating in the theatre shows.

There are smaller venues around the ship with different types of music.

Flowrider - the lines might be rally short.

• 7 months later...

We are a group of 11 going on a 12 night cruise in December in the Ovation. I'm having trouble trying to figure out the best dining option in the MDR. We would like to have dinner in the MDR every night together and hopefully all of us sitting together. We booked 8.30pm tradional dining because we were told the the other sessions/MTD was fully booked. We would also like to go for all the night shows in the theatre.

How do I coordinate dinner and entertainment so that it does not clash? For 8.30pm dinner, would we miss out on any shows? Should I ask to be wait listed for MTD? What are my chances of getting MTD for such a big group? Is early dining better than 8.30pm dining in terms of making it for the shows?

Thanks you all in advance.

We are a group of 11 going on a 12 night cruise in December in the Ovation. I'm having trouble trying to figure out the best dining option in the MDR. We would like to have dinner in the MDR every night together and hopefully all of us sitting together. We booked 8.30pm tradional dining because we were told the the other sessions/MTD was fully booked. We would also like to go for all the night shows in the theatre.

How do I coordinate dinner and entertainment so that it does not clash? For 8.30pm dinner, would we miss out on any shows? Should I ask to be wait listed for MTD? What are my chances of getting MTD for such a big group? Is early dining better than 8.30pm dining in terms of making it for the shows?

Thanks you all in advance.

You should be fine with shows as they are normally scheduled to be convenient for the two traditional dining times.