Denied boarding

Kosmo82899

His main gripe was asking about some help on a future cruise, not a refund. Comparing a single unit to a cruise ship is apples and oranges as well. Nobody is saying Carnival is technically at fault. But the "too bad, so sad" response to a guest is a bit off putting. To me at least.

How about another analogy. You are at a restaurant, order a dish, it's made perfectly, but you just don't like it at all. Whether you ask for it or not, the waiter notices you didn't eat it, you clearly didn't like it, and offers you a new dish to enjoy - complimentary. It was your fault for ordering the wrong item, the restaurant did nothing wrong, but to keep a good reputation and make sure their guests are as happy as possible, they do whatever they can to make it right, even at a cost.

That's good business, and I think a little more accurately reflects the tone of this thread.

But Carnival DOES do that already. They have the vacation guarantee!

You aren't happy, tell them within 24 hours and they will send you home on their dime AND give you 110% of your money back. And if you cruise again they will give each person $100.00 OBC.

Not having proper documents is NOT the same as not liking something.

One is on the pax, the other Carnival.

So Carnival should be out money through no fault of their own?

They have stockholders that they have to be accountable to.

Where do you draw the line on refunds? Not wanting Zika? Being late to the pier because Delta had computer problems? Can't get time off work because your boss is bi-polar? Getting divorced and you don't want to cruise with your ex? House burned down? Etc...,

That is what trip insurance is for, a good cancel for any reason policy.

I feel badly for the OP but Carnival did not create this issue. They did. It's not Carnival's job to make them whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sorry this happened to you but it is in no way Carnival's responsibility to pick up the financial loss for the boyfriend's forgetfulness. You made the decision not to sail on with out him...so your loss is your responsibility. The boyfriend left his wallet behind...so that is his responsibility. Carnival was just following our government's rules by not letting him board without a photo ID. Live, learn, and move on with your life.

You could have sent the daughter's boyfriend home at the pier and went on the cruise. Your decision, your loss. Ask the boyfriend to reimburse you the money. He screwed up, not Carnival.

I agree with the above statements. Carnival is not responsible for you missing the cruise. Hopefully you paid with a credit card that provides cruise insurance.

Wow, that sucks. Bad situation all around. Please understand that I'm not implying that anyone in you party had anything but the best of intentions for a fun vacation. However, in these days of heightened vigilance and security concerns , I can only imagine the outcry if Carnival let someone board with less than absolute ID documentation and there were to be an incident.

I thought so. Now I'm all confused!:confused:

Pretty sure my cousins first port was Belize, and they absolutely could not fly there to catch the ship. But with the ever changing laws and rules, who knows?

I do wish CC had "like" buttons!!

Edited by dulcimergirl

The situation sure would've ruined my day. All set to go cruising and **** happens. OP...I feel your frustration....but you should direct your frustration at your daughters boyfriend and U.S. customs. Carnival is NOT at fault and owes you zero. I hope your next cruise is trouble free.

Edited by cruizinator

But Carnival DOES do that already. They have the vacation guarantee!

You aren't happy, tell them within 24 hours and they will send you home on their dime AND give you 110% of your money back. And if you cruise again they will give each person $100.00 OBC.

Not having proper documents is NOT the same as not liking something.

One is on the pax, the other Carnival.

So Carnival should be out money through no fault of their own?

They have stockholders that they have to be accountable to.

Where do you draw the line on refunds? Not wanting Zika? Being late to the pier because Delta had computer problems? Can't get time off work because your boss is bi-polar? Getting divorced and you don't want to cruise with your ex? House burned down? Etc...,

That is what trip insurance is for, a good cancel for any reason policy.

I feel badly for the OP but Carnival did not create this issue. They did. It's not Carnival's job to make them whole.

This is a very fair point, and I understand it. Discretion is key. An officer doesn't have to write you a ticket or arrest you just because you were caught breaking the law.

I'm not saying Carnival has necessarily done anything wrong. And I'm not familiar with their Vacation Guarantee (I'm guessing it's an insurance?)... I imagine this paid guarantee is why they have a no nonsense approach to helping their guests who don't purchase the guarantee, as it would undermine that product. Which is fair, to be clear.

I'll simplify. Some companies say "Your issue isn't my problem" - and some say "Your issue is my chance to wow you" ... Carnival says "It isn't our problem" - and they are certainly entitled to that. It seems most travel related companies operate this way anyways - and I'm sure Carnival is doing the same thing every other cruise company does, too.

My opinion, is that maybe a supervisor could have offered SOMETHING - a discounted future cruise, onboard credit on a future cruise, something. But hey, it is what it is. It was their fault, 100%, and that's that.

Not following your logic. How is future cruise credit not same as a deferred refund when you get to cruise for free and Carnival will be out of thousands in future revenue?

That's not how it works when it comes to refunds and the actual value.

A future cruise (or discounted cruise) has a much smaller net cost to Carnival than the retail cash value. Not only would they collect the full cruise fair on the first cruise (because they are not providing a refund) - but would also collect on the future cruise - even if at a discounted rate (or even if totally free) - plus onboard spending, excursions.... but the real value to Carnival is in customer acquisition.... if this person is satisfied with what Carnival offers, they may have gained several more cruises out of it plus, and probably more importantly, they have a brand ambassador and not a critic.

Carnival is a large company and knows what they are doing. Obviously the hit is worth it to them and not a concern. The risk of others taking advantage of it, not buying their vacation insurance, etc. But I still can't help but think there is a better way for Carnival to "wow" their guest when something unfortunate like this happens. "Too bad, so sad, have a nice drive home" doesn't sit well with me when we are talking about a company whose sole business is to sell happiness.

It's all good.

I sympathize and even empathize with OP's situation.

I have nightmares about being denied boarding.

My habit is to take a different family member with me when I cruise, with one condition. They give me physical possession of a valid US passport before I book, and I retain it until we are on the ship.

OP and I part ways when he expects compassion in the form of money from Carnival. Not their requirement, not their decision to deny boarding, and they are powerless to overrule decision made by Customs or Homeland Security.

US Customs has the final authority as to who boards. It is not Carnival's decision.

I'm glad someone pointed this out (but I believe it's actually immigration, or homeland security).

Maybe that's why it took 3 hours to get the "no". They were trying to get it Okayed by them.

I believe you need to take the issue up with US Customs. Carnival does not decide who boards, it's US Customs.

I also would have left the boyfriend in Tampa or flown him home and gone on the cruise with the rest of the family.

Edited by blondietink

This is my biggest issue is just have some compassion and give us a break. Especially since we have went on multiple cruises with them. I'm not saying it was in anyway shape or form Carnival's fault. It was completely on him/us for not making sure sooner he had it. But would it hurt them to be a little compassionate? At one point we were standing at the counter debating whether or not my family was going to go without him and both my kids were crying. One Carnival employee even made the comment that if somebody else was in working in customs that day that they would have probably let us on. I also don't understand why we had to wait over 3 hours just to be told no. The boyfriend had family relatively close to the port and had we been told sooner that he wouldn't be allowed on, the rest of us may have went on the cruise anyway. At least then we could have been assured that he had someone there to pick him up and he wasn't just stranded hundreds of miles from home.

Unless the hotel you stayed at the night before was separated from the port by a plane flight I would have spent the three hours you waited instead going back to that hotel and getting my driver's license. Since you wouldn't be able to fly without photo ID I'm assuming that no plane flight from the hotel was involved. So why didn't y'all just go right back to the hotel as soon as you discovered the missing driver's license? And if the young man had family close by then why did he even stay at a hotel for the night before.

Edited by Jana60

If you truly believe you were wronged, then file a chargeback on your credit card. Carnival will likely win the chargeback. Then you file a chargeback a second time, which goes through the arbitration process. It's very rare that companies continue to fight at that point and you are likely to get your money back without anything additional. If they do continue to fight, you go through arbitration and the worst that can happen is you are out the money you were already out. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If you end up winning, Carnival may not want you onboard ever again, though :)

My opinion, for the penny that it's worth - is that this says a lot more about Carnival simply not caring. Regardless of what rules or terms state, Carnival can certainly make exceptions "for the sake of customer satisfaction" - that's a term I got used to when working for a major tech company long ago. Carnival wins nothing and it's bad business on their part. But what can you do? I'm not sure how I'd handle it, personally.

What you are suggesting is fraud.

This is a very fair point, and I understand it. Discretion is key. An officer doesn't have to write you a ticket or arrest you just because you were caught breaking the law.

I'm not saying Carnival has necessarily done anything wrong. And I'm not familiar with their Vacation Guarantee (I'm guessing it's an insurance?)... I imagine this paid guarantee is why they have a no nonsense approach to helping their guests who don't purchase the guarantee, as it would undermine that product. Which is fair, to be clear.

I'll simplify. Some companies say "Your issue isn't my problem" - and some say "Your issue is my chance to wow you" ... Carnival says "It isn't our problem" - and they are certainly entitled to that. It seems most travel related companies operate this way anyways - and I'm sure Carnival is doing the same thing every other cruise company does, too.

My opinion, is that maybe a supervisor could have offered SOMETHING - a discounted future cruise, onboard credit on a future cruise, something. But hey, it is what it is. It was their fault, 100%, and that's that.

The Vacation Guarantee isn't insurance. Every pax is entitled to it. You don't like it ( the cruise etc) you are refunded. And flown home.

I just think that lines have to be drawn. If you do for one you have to do for all, otherwise how do you decide

Who is worthy ( circumstances ? Platinum only? Etc)

Imagine the uproar IF they were refunded and the poor people that had this scenario last month aren't? Or vice versa. Equal and fair treatment of ALL passengers should be maintained.

Sorry about typos/paragraph issues..see below

Edited by IndyDenise

This is my biggest issue is just have some compassion and give us a break. Especially since we have went on multiple cruises with them.

You have GONE on cruises... :)

I'm not saying it was in anyway shape or form Carnival's fault. It was completely on him/us for not making sure sooner he had it. But would it hurt them to be a little compassionate?

LOL double talk much? If it is not CCLs fault why are you making such a stink over it? Your fault, ergo you are out the money.

At one point we were standing at the counter debating whether or not my family was going to go without him and both my kids were crying. One Carnival employee even made the comment that if somebody else was in working in customs that day that they would have probably let us on. I also don't understand why we had to wait over 3 hours just to be told no. The boyfriend had family relatively close to the port and had we been told sooner that he wouldn't be allowed on, the rest of us may have went on the cruise anyway. At least then we could have been assured that he had someone there to pick him up and he wasn't just stranded hundreds of miles from home. I guess I just feel doing a good deed here may cost them a couple grand, which is nothing to them but overall would do more good than harm. We will most likely spend more money than previously if they credit us for another cruise, would be more likely to consider future cruises with them and would pass on that they are a good company that takes care of their customers. As it stands now they will definitely not get any future business from us, not that it will hurt them at all lol.

Appeal to pity. One of the most common fallacies of logic.

I am sorry this happened but when spending a lot of money on a cruise (even for the cheapest cabin) I check and double check for IDs in our case passports. Carnival may make deal for some credit but they did not for me when I had to have emergency surgery a few days before a cruise.

Unless the hotel you stayed at the night before was separated from the port by a plane flight I would have spent the three hours you waited instead going back to that hotel and getting my driver's license. Since you wouldn't be able to fly without photo ID I'm assuming that no plane flight from the hotel was involved. So why didn't y'all just go right back to the hotel as soon as you discovered the missing driver's license? And if the young man had family close by then why did he even stay at a hotel for the night before.

In fairness, it's a 3 hour drive from the Tampa port to Georgia via the interstate highways. Not sure how much farther the hotel was into Georgia.

Even if they checked in around 10 AM at the port, he probably never would have made it to the hotel and back to the ship in time.

I know that their cruise contract covers them and they do not have to refund anything and that the boy showing up with no ID is not Carnival's fault, but Carnival should try to do something for these people. This scenario could happen to any of us driving from far away. Short of taking everyone ID when they get in the car, how could a person prepare for this?

So because something could happen to anyone they ought to just ignore the rules and laws. Under that silly logic they ought not have ANY rules since anything can happen to anyone. Very weak argument. BTW you prepare by making sure you have all of your travel documents when you leave home and that you have them all in a safe place. You know sort of like 99.9999% of cruise passengers do!

I agree.

I feel safer knowing they enforce this rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yeah, it stinks for OP and the family. It would devastate me to get to the ship and not be able to board.

It was bad enough leaving home one time when my DS had to stay back due to sudden illness. It was a depressing drive to Port Canaveral that night. But, we made the best of it and enjoyed the cruise since we text messaged with him several times each day during the cruise.

To that original statement I wrote, my kids think I'm the "ID nazl" as we get ready to cruise. I must ask them about their ID's 100 times between packing and arriving to the port!

Edited by The4Cruisers

My theory on this is if Carnival wasn't sold out (meaning they wouldn't have sold that room to someone else if you hadn't booked) then they could have done the nice gesture and given you full or partial credit for a future cruise. While they have no obligation to this, if you weren't taking someone else's spot on the ship, then why not right? That being said, they really don't have any obligation and legally you probably don't have a leg to stand on as many others have posted.